[MOD Idea] Semi-volumetric clouds outside of Kaer Morhen

+
Are the clouds really volumetric at all? The mod looks really nice, but on closer inspection with the freecam the clouds look flat and I've noticed that they turn towards the camera wherever it moves. You can see this effect at 0:25 in your video.

Are the clouds really volumetric at all? The mod looks really nice, but on closer inspection with the freecam the clouds look flat and I've noticed that they turn towards the camera wherever it moves. You can see this effect at 0:25 in your video.

I don't think it matters. Nothing has volume in a computer game, it's all 1's and 0's. All that matters is if it adds a cool look to the game. Seems to do so.

I don't think it matters. Nothing has volume in a computer game, it's all 1's and 0's. All that matters is if it adds a cool look to the game. Seems to do so.

Looks nice yes, but saying the mod adds volumetric clouds is misleading if it doesn't. People may not notice, but I still think it's important to make clear whether or not the mod adds back volumetric clouds in Skellige or if it just adds clouds in Skellige.

Indeed, as long as it provides the desired visual result when actually playing the game the tech behind how it is achieved doesn't really matter too much.

Still, the word itself: "volumetric" is Literally the opposite of what they are..
The original request was to add "semi-volumetric" (which doesnt even mean anything, should have just been "volumetric", but CDPR is to blame for that phrase being used) clouds to the game. @GMSBS_Ghost used what he could, since all the clouds and fog (apart from the overall environment fog) in this game is 2D. Dont get me wrong, the result is still Great, but its not "volumetric"..

but saying the mod adds volumetric clouds is misleading if it doesn't

He never said that they are volumetric... and the topic has a SEMI on the tittle.

If is SEMI is not volumetric, as the clouds just appears to be volumetric from some distance.

I might be wrong but neither Kaer Morhen original clouds are...

Still, the word itself: "volumetric" is Literally the opposite of what they are..
The original request was to add "semi-volumetric" (which doesnt even mean anything, should have just been "volumetric", but CDPR is to blame for that phrase being used) clouds to the game. @GMSBS_Ghost used what he could, since all the clouds and fog (apart from the overall environment fog) in this game is 2D. Dont get me wrong, the result is still Great, but its not "volumetric"..

You can't say that it's the opposite. The term "semi-volumetric" just doesn't make senes to begin with. They can be volumetric or not. Semi-volumetric probably just refers to them being somewhat in between 2d and 3d, as they are 2d in a way that can't be distinguished from 3d from the players point of view.

You can't say that it's the opposite.

I can, because "volumetric" means that it has scale in 3 dimensions, the clouds in the game and this mod only have scale in 2 dimensions, therefore Not volumetric...

The term "semi-volumetric" just doesn't make senes to begin with. They can be volumetric or not.

thats what i said....

Semi-volumetric probably just refers to them being somewhat in between 2d and 3d, as they are 2d in a way that can't be distinguished from 3d from the players point of view.

just because a 2D image is rotated towards the camera doesnt make it "somewhat in between 2D and 3D".. its still 2D

You can't say that it's the opposite. The term "semi-volumetric" just doesn't make senes to begin with. They can be volumetric or not. Semi-volumetric probably just refers to them being somewhat in between 2d and 3d, as they are 2d in a way that can't be distinguished from 3d from the players point of view.

I think what they mean by "semi-volumetric" is that only some of the clouds are volumetric. While the rest are 2d billboard style. Otherwise, some people might get confused if they just stated they had volumetric clouds. People would point out that most of them aren't volumetric at all.

Last edited:
I agree that I maybe shouldn't have used the term "volumetric", so just don't take this so seriously and just replace it in your head by "fluffy" if you like;)
In any case I think @Mezziaz is right:

Indeed, as long as it provides the desired visual result when actually playing the game the tech behind how it is achieved doesn't really matter too much.

So, I'm just happy that most of you seem to enjoy my mod, because that's a more than worthwhile reward for all the hard work:smiling2:

I can, because "volumetric" means that it has scale in 3 dimensions, the clouds in the game and this mod only have scale in 2 dimensions, therefore Not volumetric...

and still, 2d is not the "opposite" of 3d.
Your two other points make it seem like you think we're in disagreement.

Top Bottom