Mods in Cyberpunk 2077?

+

Yes or no to mod-support?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Funny you mention that, I literally just finished reading that thread. I am really hoping that's not how CDPR are planning on doing things. Either there's some kind of misunderstanding here and we're in the dark or they're handling this in a way I was not expecting.

Especially after "This E3 is the most important one yet" to paraphrase combined with the obvious expectations of new info, new trailer and potentially another demo with who knows what else they could have planned.

As it stands taking those comments at face value it's not looking good. I really hope this is not the case and that the actual fans of CDPR and Cyberpunk 2077 who are super hyped for the game don't get the back seat treatment.

Thanks, I couldn't have said better.

That's exactly why I'm disappointed at them. And that's also why I said "they're hitting hard these last few days".

I wanted to elaborate on this topic and on that answer in particular. We have no plans to share at the moment. Obviously, we would love to support the modding community in the future, but for the time being we want to focus on releasing the game first. Hopefully, this clears things up a bit.
Thanks for the clarification

Mod support isn't really a chip on my shoulder one way or another, but it's good to know what kind of priority it holds. And I'm glad CDPR is focusing on the main experience first and foremost, rather than accessory features like modkits. Here's hoping that focus goes towards the "right" kind of design and content.

For me, as a single player, offline, local machine run, game player, (I absolutely loathe online games) I typically don't buy a game unless or until it has mod support.

I was late in playing The Witcher 3, but, there were a number of picky little things available via the modding community that made for a much more personal subjectively enjoyable play through experience than I was having with vanilla.

As for Cyberpunk 2077, with, or without mods, I'm certain to pick up the game, but, eventual modding support, and hopefully eventual strong modding support at that (more so than The Witcher 3), would make for something all the more overwhelmingly spectacular, and replayable many many times over with the wealth of rich, creative, community content that the modding community is well known for.

Whatever the case, we're not "there" yet, so, time will tell.
Cyberpunk will sell all the copies, win all the awards, and be the best game ever to date, I'm sure. Adding strong modding support on top of that makes for a megalithic complex the likes of The Great Pyramids in terms of gaming that will stand as THE example of what games should be, towering in that position, unassailable, unbeatable ... until, perhaps, CDPR shows us by raising the bar yet again.
:)

I typically don't buy a game unless or until it has mod support.

I dabbled with mods for certain games in the past and made note that they didn't help the game. On the contrary, they most generally made it worse inspite the good ideas, and created more frustration and hassle than was worth tolerating for what little they managed to achieve. So I stopped using them.

I think, if the game can't stand on its own feet, mods can't help. And it if can, mods aren't really needed (though I don't oppose having support for them).

Guess I'll pitch in my personal opinion:

Although I'm essentially a neutral observer, when it comes to all things Cyberpunk, I will note that modding support would most likely be a welcome feature for some PC players.

Based on my experience with Witcher III, mods proved rather handy, especially for correcting a few nitpicks, tweaking aesthetics, and also re-balancing some aspects of the combat system. (Ay, I use several of these mods myself.)

Good tools for modding allow dedicated fans the opportunity to adjust points which sometimes were overlooked, or were a very low priority, during development. Also, mods can, in some cases, prolong the lifespan and appeal of a game. Overall, I think mod support a valuable -- though not absolutely vital -- resource to include for a game's community.

Anybody remembers Lykaon for Witcher 2? I remember....
[Yes i look at you Benz >_>] *kek* Imagine what will be possible if
we get a full blown RED KIT once the game launched.

Hah, even look at what some modders managed for Witcher 3
without a full RED KIT.

As for the lewd stuff *smirk* visit LL ;) if you call Skyrim as example here.

I wanted to elaborate on this topic and on that answer in particular. We have no plans to share at the moment. Obviously, we would love to support the modding community in the future, but for the time being we want to focus on releasing the game first. Hopefully, this clears things up a bit.

Yeah, better focus on the launch right now for a smooth release "soon™" :D
That is quite understandable, specially since the devs aim to release it as
bug and glitch free as possible.

But we really want full mod support for Cyberpunk 2077, easy recognizeable
if one looks at certain topics in the forum. >^^<

I dabbled with mods for certain games in the past and made note that they didn't help the game. On the contrary, they most generally made it worse inspite the good ideas, and created more frustration and hassle than was worth tolerating for what little they managed to achieve. So I stopped using them.

I think, if the game can't stand on its own feet, mods can't help. And it if can, mods aren't really needed (though I don't oppose having support for them).

I respectfully disagree with your subjective experience and opinion regarding mods.
YOU properly may not find worthwhile engagement, but, there's a whole population demographic judging by not only the creators, but active consumers downloading mods on sites like Nexus alone.
There's even a side industry of Youtubers that go out of their way to have "This week in mods for game XYZ" reviews.

I'm not saying my opinion is better than yours or yours better than mine.
I am, however, saying that if you don't want/like/care about mods, you don't have to use them if they're available. No one is forcing you.
A developer not offering mod support, because some lot might claim it does nothing to benefit the game, on the other hand, does force those who benefit from the modding community to sometimes make a choice.
For instance, Cyberpunk 2077 is going to be a hard force First Person Perspective game.
FPP gives many folks motion sickness, and for those it does, they benefit from using Third Person Perspective. If TPP isn't offered as an option, the modding community will provide.
Some of us are color blind, and the modding community offers solutions to adjust the game that are often not available in the options menu. Many other visual and audio adjustment options often not available in the default options menu are typical offerings in the modding community, like Depth of Field emphasis, Field of View adjustment, improved textures of those of us with higher end systems and even nerfed textures to accommodate those with systems just barely capable of running the game so they can actually play it instead of having to try getting a refund.
Not everyone has the taken for granted privilege of every optimal condition to satisfy game experience as intended.

On top of those extra accessibility features that are prevalent within the modding community, there's also those of us that get a little tired of the restrictive nature of variety that's often the case when ti comes to almost every game. There's only 10 costumes worn by NPCs in area XYZ and none of those costumes are player wearable? Well, mods will give you 100 more. Investing a whole week of playing Fashion Plate Barbie and Ken with the character YOU created might not do anything for you, but, for others, they'll spend that week and more on playing character dress up alone given wide enough variety and selection that's often the case with mods.

... and then there's bugs. Every game typically has them. They get fixed ... eventually ... well, usually, but, you know who jumps right on bugs and has bug fixes sometimes in the first days of a game launch? Modders.
Modders are by far the best, quickest resource and solution to early bug fixes than, say, having to wait weeks or months for the dev team to patch something that only seems to effect 10 out of every 1000 players.

This is only a tiny slice of how modding benefits those that subscribe to the community.
There's people that add whole quests, entire new lands and stories, animations, voice acting, and even DLC sized content.
For Skyrim, there's a whole game conversion mod called Enderall, that completely converts the game to a NEW and different game ...

Polygon Enderal Review

... but, it's understandable that doesn't interest some folks.
For many others, however, it does.

:)

I remember a couple of mods for TW3 which drastically changed (= improved IMHO) skill trees and loot, so that geralt already knew by default how to deflect arrows instead of learning and equipping it (one of the worst systems I've ever seen in my life)(it made more sense in Nier automata, since you installed chips in robots). I envied them a lot (console peasant here).

I don't even dare to ask for mods on consoles, bethesda did that, but they behaved as bethesda, making people pay for the best mods made by modders.

There will most likely be some mods, always have.
Just wait for the game to be released first... You don't even know what you're wanting to Mod yet lol.

There will most likely be some mods, always have.
Just wait for the game to be released first... You don't even know what you're wanting to Mod yet lol.

... actually, some of us do.
For instance, there's whole Story Line Suggestions thread.
If there's certain stories, ideas, and themes left unexplored, as well as features, and certain ways the game could be played that jive with one's personal subjective preferences, like, ditching the level system completely for a more character subjective view on the world based on how the character might see threats instead of some magic number that tells you, the player, an enemy is level 17 while you're level 3 ... well, there's a LOT folks that are keen on modding would like to try to implement and tinker with.

Further, modding isn't always all about the end result, but, it can be about satisfying a creative itch against a background, framework or canvas that compliments that itch. It's the tinker's spirit for taking things apart, seeing how they work, and seeing how many different and creative ways they can be put back together.
Modding is so much more than just "gimme guns", "gimme this", "gimme that", "gimme gimme gimme".

There's a type of person that needs to customize their life by accessorizing and tuning their car with performance and/or aesthetic upgrades, no matter how perfect and new that car is. We tattoo our bodies, make our own jewelry, modify our clothes, and make personal changes to to near anything that might draw our fixation and pique or attention begging to be more, different, and personalized, beyond vanilla.

I will never understand why some people who have never used mods and have no intention of ever using mods insist on telling PC gamers that enjoy them how unimportant they are to the gaming experience. "Get over it," they say. "The core game is all I care about, and so should you," they say (not referring to anybody in this thread/forum, mind you -- it's a general mindset I see on other gaming communities).

:rolleyes:

As it turns out, a core game can be fantastically phenomenal in every conceivable way, but actually be better because some modder spent dozens (or hundreds) of hours making it better, where the core dev team didn't have the time, resources, ideas, or inclination to do so.

If you've used them and don't like 'em, fair enough. You do you. But there's no denying that they can objectively improve many things about a game. Fixing bugs, prettying up the graphics, tidying up meshes and textures where some inconsistencies lie. And then there's the awesome subjective stuff: the gameplay overhauls (Ghost Mode or TW3EE for TW3), the massive DLC-sized additions, the retextures, the new equipment mods, the stealth overhauls... I could go on.

I understand its not a priority. That's good. But I'd like it to be a "thing" eventually, even if it takes 6 months or more. TW3's level of modding support, at the very least, please.

I think no one in their right mind who actually used mod friendly games and saw the quality of content and wide selection of game play enhancing mods, can say that mods are useless or a non-factor.

Or they can, but would seem crazy to me. To those who never used mods in the select games I think of right now (TES, Fallout, maybe GTA) you're missing out on some additional content and customization, for free.

But I also understand if people decide to refrain. That is fine.

I'd only get irritated if people (who never had the personal experience or don't consider what good it can do) would aggressively argue against mods for reasons mentioned in the post above. They have nothing to gain from that stance (if we'd assume we had a debate to convince devs to add it and assuming that could negatively influence it) anyway because even if mods would become a thing, they would be completely optional for them. Nothing to lose, only to gain.

TL, DR: one doesn't have to like mods, nor use them, but should consider that a large part of a community will benefit from them in a game like this.

Other than that we can point out the benefits or maybe even potential issues of modding (to me, consumer wise and if done right the benefits clearly outweigh potential risks or cons) but in the end, the devs have to look at it all and see what they want or think is viable for them or the product.

I hope they eventually, way later, give green light. Good mod support will catapult this game even higher.

Guest 2364765

Define "mod support" because what Witcher 3 had is not really "support" by any stretch of imagination.
It was closer to "facilitating" modding via basic pipeline and semi-broken tools which allowed you to create some mods, however using mods was entirely different thing where having more than 2 or 3 bigger mods for average user meant nearly unsolvable conflict issues.

Not to mention that actually "adding" stuff to the game was done entirely by the community by reversing and hijacking how DLCs work in W3. By default with provided "mod support" we wouldn't be even able to add new items to the game.

I think also Witcher 2 has proven (and also reason why a post launch effort wasn't taken for W3) that releasing editor after game launch is relatively pointless, especially if it doesn't arrive within first 1-3 months.

I would well imagine that CDPR still internally has "plans" for mod support but at the very least learned the lesson to not even mention something if they cannot deliver it completely, in such case if anything is delivered - no matter the degree, it's a positive surprise. If they don't - they get to walk away fair and square.

Personally i'd consider ideal scenario to be:
  • Proper editor at launch with full content modification/creation capabilities.
  • Scripting system overhauled to facilitate hooking particular functions instead of rewriting entire scripts, global events that can be listened to and default mod class being automatically instanced entity (the way how Vermintide 2 modding with VMF is a good source of design inspiration)
  • Classes and their variables being equally exposed to scripting, rather than selectively.
  • No pre-set mod/package limit

But that's probably not gonna happen, more realistic scenario would be expecting same or less level as W3 but broken and not officially supported due to changes in engine.

Also approach of "wait for the game to be released, you don't even know what you're going to mod" is beyond foolish.
It seems to be staple for some sort of purists that don't understand that some people want to customize their experience, whether it's a full on game overhaul/total conversion where i need to eat, shit, sleep and drink or just replacing every female NPC with nude model - god bless, it's your game and your choice.

Voting "No mods, please." seems childish to me in a way that "if i don't need/can't use it, then nobody needs/should have it".
Jesus holy Christ on a bicycle, whether you're on console and can't have mods, or you're still on PC and simply don't use them - why would you ever prevent other people from having them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Define "mod support" because what Witcher 3 had is not really "support" by any stretch of imagination.

Mod support means: "This game has a set of tools specifically designed for players to alter aspects of the game normally reserved for developers." Nothing in the term itself guarantees how extensive they will be, how easy to use, whether they will receive ongoing work or expansions (ala the layman useage of "support"), or whether anyone will love it / hate it. That's all preference.

A few games were specifically designed with official modding tools in mind, but they are far, faaar from the norm. Neverwinter Nights 1, Beth titles from Morrowind onward, Half-Life 2, arguably Minecraft...

There are plenty of games out there that have extremely limited or no mod support whatsoever, and yet they have been successfully modded (radically in certain cases). Mount and Blade, the Dawn of War series, X-Wing Alliance, several of the Total War games, Baldur's Gate 1 and 2, several of the FarCry games... It is all due to 100% community ventures.

For TW3, modding plans were once bigger. In the end, they had to change. The tools, while not exactly "cooperative" for modders with larger ambitions were still far more extensive than other titles. (Again, the vast majority of titles in existence have absolutely none.) Since then, the community has done spectacular work in creating all sorts of additions and workarounds to add in an amazing amount of functionality. I think it's great!

Whether CDPR will eventually create a modding kit (whether large, small, extensive, restricted...) for CP2077 is still up in the air. We'll see. It all depends on whether or not the game's design and development will allow for it.

In the end, I hope the modding community has been engaged. I hope they've been able to explore, learn, and grow! I hope they celebrate what they've achieved!

I also hope they are grateful for the insane amount of work from the hundreds of people that dedicated years of their life to creating TW3 in the first place. I hope they appreciate the tools (however limited) given away for free so that the community could mold TW3 more to their liking.

Don't care about mods, never have even when playing the Witcher saga. The Witcher saga never need it. And as far as this game looks won't need it either. If they implemented it, might be more as a favor to the one asking it. If it is a huge demand.

Top Bottom