My character is weak, gets constantly one-shotted by MODERATE level enemies

+
I'm playing on hard mode btw. My character currently has 748 armor, and 702 health. However, I die in one or two hits to moderate level enemies almost all the time. I could understand if I was facing against "very high" or even "high level" enemies. But there is no way I should be dying so quickly to enemies on my level, hard mode or not.

And it's not just taking damage as well, my weapons don't do jack against enemies either. Just as a test, I ran up to a moderate level enemy and shot him from point blank IN THE HEAD three times with a 480 dps shotgun, and he lived. With barely any health left but still alive nonetheless. So what would happen if I were going up against enemies of "very high" level? Would they just be immortal? That is complete bs. It makes me not even want to play the game anymore because what is the point of finding/crafting weapons or gear if they don't do anything anyways.

I honestly think my game might be bugged because it wasn't always like this. This just randomly started happening some time ago and has been the case ever since. Is anybody else having this problem?

Edit: After reading the posts, I realized my problem was mainly having low armor. I thought 748 armor was a lot but apparently I was wrong. I used the crafted armadillo mod as some people in the thread had mentioned, and it has made a colossal difference.

Last edited:
You're not updating your weapons and armor. There are some easy to get early legendary mantis blades that make the game a lot easier, and you can start finding epic or legendary clothing by then as well if you care to look it up.

BTW, it's not the armor itself that gives you the most value, it's the mod slots for armadillo mods that give you a metric ton of armor.

As the difficulty settings tell you, Hard and Very Hard are intended for optimized builds. If you're just cobbling up some build together with blue weapons, you're going to have a bad time.

The OP didn't say what level they are. I'm on my third play through now as 'Street Kid' and am at level 22, I am playing on hard. My character runs around in just a running short, tank top, baseball cap and maybe a vest (legendary) and that's it. As already mentioned, I make use of the Armadillo mod ( create them) or purchase and stack those on the clothing. The running shorts alone are 525 armor, complete set of clothing and I'm at 1,325. This will increase as I go further into the game. I am always updating my weapons as I go. I would suggest not to get too hung up on Legendary weapons, I have found other weapons that exceed some of the Legendary. That doesn't mean avoid Legendary, but some are not all they are cracked up to be, I can cite 'Overwatch', the sniper rifle that you can get from Panam as an example. Plus I'm increasing my hacking skills as I progress.

Also, run around and hunt up the free Legendary items that are out there in the wild, clothing items, weapons and mods.

It's non stop, always upgrade and of course...take cover. Most of all, take your time and don't get frustrated. I still have Takemura waiting for me somewhere and he is just going to have to wait until I build my character up a bit more.

I'm playing on hard mode btw. My character currently has 748 armor, and 702 health. However, I die in one or two hits to moderate level enemies almost all the time. I could understand if I was facing against "very high" or even "high level" enemies. But there is no way I should be dying so quickly to enemies on my level, hard mode or not.

And it's not just taking damage as well, my weapons don't do jack against enemies either. Just as a test, I ran up to a moderate level enemy and shot him from point blank IN THE HEAD three times with a 480 dps shotgun, and he lived. With barely any health left but still alive nonetheless. So what would happen if I were going up against enemies of "very high" level? Would they just be immortal? That is complete bs. It makes me not even want to play the game anymore because what is the point of finding/crafting weapons or gear if they don't do anything anyways.

I honestly think my game might be bugged because it wasn't always like this. This just randomly started happening some time ago and has been the case ever since. Is anybody else having this problem?
This game its too easy.
Have you ever played Dark Soul, Bloodborne, Cuphead, Nier Automata Max dificulty, Stalker Call of Prypiat on Master with Misery Mod, Gothic 2 NOTR L'hiver Mod ?

Sigh, i really do not want to be that person but i guess i have to

You tell nothing of your lvl or build but you say you have 748 armour which is good if your sub lvl 10 but say you have 702 health which suggests your high level, to put that into perspective i have a lvl 33 melee char with lvl 20 in body with both athletics and street brawling and only 556 hp playing on Very hard with zero problem, the difference? I have 2552 armour.

Sort your armour or dodge better

Edit: If you dont have it already get the Armadillo recipe, there is a gig just north of the fast travel point East of Judy's apartment (not charter street the next one East) inside a parking lot, as you enter straight to your left on a metal box is a chest always with Armadillo recipe

Last edited:

iCake

Forum veteran
Playing on very hard, level 49 now, my total armor rating sits at somewhere just short of 1,000 and it has never exceeded that through my entire playthrough. Oh, and body stat is at 6. Not to brag, but I've had very little trouble surviving in this game anyway. As mentioned, the game is too easy or rather unbalanced to the point there's no balance whatsoever.

Last edited:
This game its too easy.
Have you ever played Dark Soul, Bloodborne, Cuphead, Nier Automata Max dificulty, Stalker Call of Prypiat on Master with Misery Mod, Gothic 2 NOTR L'hiver Mod ?

I don't know what point you're trying to make. But to answer your question, the only game on those lists I've played are Cuphead and the Soulsbourne games. I've beaten Cuphead on expert mode, and I've never found the dark souls games particularly difficult. So if you are trying to [...] suggest that I need to "giT GuD", save your breath please & thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know what point you're trying to make. But to answer your question, the only game on those lists I've played are Cuphead and the Soulsbourne games. I've beaten Cuphead on expert mode, and I've never found the dark souls games particularly difficult. So if you are trying to [...] suggest that I need to "giT GuD", save your breath please & thank you.
Then you should find this game as being too easy.

On one side people complain this game is to easy on super hard and now you complain its to hard on hard. Perhaps lower the difficulty?

I play on very hard, lvl 30. My armour is sitting at 470 which I know is low as it is on purpose. I am playing just for the style "clothes esthetic" atm if I need higher armour I will equip it. You just need to take your time and upgrade your weapons all the time. You can get through moderate and high threat lvl gigs but stick to cover. If you get hit by a high powered rifle or tech shot gun it's light out no matter what

Last edited:
On one side people complain this game is to easy on super hard and now you complain its to hard on hard. Perhaps lower the difficulty?
I think the issue is in that everyone plays their own game.
Many around here I see telling they have legendaries and whatnot, maybe follows buildguides. so they optimize their character to suit something.
OP may just be doing whatever at the time and his 'build' is all over the place, hence the difficulty on his part spikes.
I'm also a type to follow the latter (as in just wing-it) and see what happens.
Its just a style of play

Last edited:
I decided to GRIND my character up to such a level that doing the DON'T FEAR THE REAPER ending would be easy! All you have to do is go out and fight the crime in the streets for about 20 game seasons (and level up your equipment and attributes ) until you can take on the Valentinos gangs and any other challenge! I am half Hispanic, and I feel like it is a little racist they made the Valentinos the super hard gangs! I guess the European DEV saw too many shows like breaking BAD !

LOL, just joking I don't really care at all. Eventually they are cannon fodder like any other gang!

This game is not 'easy' per se. But there are some broken mechanics that allow players to steamroll any enemy encounter with little to no difficulty.

I never invested in body or armor. Even clothes. I could go around naked and still find a way to win every encounter either using guns or hacks. Worst comes to worse, a bit of stealth and I can still one shot everyone. The only way to take damage from a firefight in this game is to stand still. Moving around like one would do in a FPS is enough to avoid most damage: NPCs don't seem to be able to anticipate the player movements and smart bullets don't modify their trajectory fast enough to catch up with a constantly moving target.

If one does not like to play like a shooter, cyberhacks seems to scale faster than enemies and it is possible to exterminate every NPC around without even visual contact. One does not even have to be heavily invested in hacking because most of the strengths comes from having the right cyberdeck and quickhacks.

Becoming 'emotionally attached' to a weapon because it looks cool or because of its background is the worst mistake one can make in this game. Even common items late in the game are much better than legendary/epic/iconic found earlier: upgrading weapons is not worth; it's better to sell or dismantle anything for money (it can be used for cars; around 2 million are needed to buy all of them)

About bosses and fist fights: this games becomes very 'arcade-y' during these encounters, because once one learns the right combination of movements and attacks it's possible to take anybody with patience and strategy at whatever level.

Last edited:
My guess... low armor
748 armor is not fit 702 health
7480 is fit
I often have 10000~12000 armor when I have 700+ health, that's how you play at VeryHard
Find max slot legendary armor , which means 4 slot of colths, 3 slot for others, that allowed you get about 20 mod
Then find the blueprint of armor mod, and do it many times to sure you make blue mode at low level, purple better at high level, it offer about 300 armor at 50 level, 20*300=6000, only by mods, simple math.
Finally, keep at least 9 COOL to make the feature add 20% after killing, it will up on 60%~100%, depends on your COOL.
After that, almost nothing can hurt you even at Veryhard.
( Only MAX TAC and little melee weapon which can ignore the armor)

Many around here I see telling they have legendaries and whatnot, maybe follows buildguides. so they optimize their character to suit something.
OP may just be doing whatever at the time and his 'build' is all over the place, hence the difficulty on his part spikes.
Its just a style of play

Same thing here. No guides, just me and the game. Still, my armor is low, I play on very hard and has little to no difficulties with what the game throws at me. I guess I would have, if those stims were on cooldown though :shrug: But again, I don't really need to get into direct confronation or anything, with tech/smart weapons and especially quick hacks. Still do, just to spice it up but not as much as someone who specced differently than me would.

Last edited:
Its just a style of play

No, the point is thread starter don't know the basic knowledge about this game and suffer for it
It's not time to play the good guy says don't judge other's style, because he's obviously confuse and think it's a bug.
I know there is many way to play this game without armor, but that's the part of "not your bussiness" because the starter are not show how he play this game well without high armor but do quest why he die so easy. He need the guild now.
In the other hand, upgrade armor which fit the HARD game is not involve changing the build.
Max-Slot-Legendary-Equipment do hard to collect, but 2 slot purple are everywhere.
The blueprint of Armor mod are also easy to get, just search boxes at the Santo-Domingo and every one can find it sooner or later. He can also search the guild which point out where the blueprint is.
It's not about his Build, just make armor mod and add it on 2 slot cloth, and replace it every 5 level because the armor which armor mod offer is direct ratio with charactor's level, then everything changes, that's it. You can talk about how to play this game with different style after that.

If you want people to answer your question, you need to provide more details about your character. What quest are you at? what level are you? Post a screenshot of your character stats perhaps.

This is the easiest game I've played in 20 years of gaming. In fact, so easy I never could shake the idea my game somehow was bugged into making enemies on very hard pushovers. I even had a bug where none of the placed firearms gave any critical chance/damage. If you have a hard time in this of all games, OBVIOUSLY you're overestimating your gaming skills. The obvious advice is stop being so stubborn and reduce the difficulty level to provide a more suitable challenge.

Other posters have already mentioned the why of things. You seem to have disregarded every aspect of your build. Your armor is ridiculously low at the level you sound like you are (with Cool/Cold Blood going I routinely had armor near the 10k area at level 40ish). Hyper optimized builds are able to cause in excess of 2 million damage on a single shot. I suspect your perks, cyberware and weapons are likewise lacking. Look into build videos on YouTube for more pointers.

Last edited:
Your armor is ridiculously low at the level you sound like you are (with Cool/Cold Blood going I routinely had armor near the 10k area at level 40ish). Hyper optimized builds are able to cause in excess of 2 million damage on a single shot. I suspect your perks, cyberware and weapons are likewise lacking. Look into build videos on YouTube for more pointers.

That doesn't even matter really. I'm level 45 with 784 armour and do melee strikes for less than 50k. You can still one shot everything. On my second playthrough I just didn't bother updating my armadillos or even upgrading my weapons other than Satori but I still carry around a level 1 Black Unicorn and unequip legendary short circuit for when sandbagging = more fun. The biggest difference you can make is simply out leveling the enemies you are hitting and who are hitting you.

Even if you go base armour and everything 1 or 2 shots you, it still doesn't matter because the control effects in this game are so strong. If you engage with Optics Jammer + Cripple Movement, all enemies in a huge AoE will be unable to see, move or hit back so you can one tap a bunch of statues.

Playing on very hard, level 49 now, my total armor rating sits at somewhere just short of 1,000 and it has never exceeded that through my entire playthrough. Oh, and body stat is at 6. Not to brag, but I've had very little trouble surviving in this game anyway. As mentioned, the game is too easy or rather unbalanced to the point there's no balance whatsoever.

the armor matters more or less depending on your playstyle. A dude shooting through walls, or with quickhacks isnt going to need armor

Top Bottom