Need Help: How do I craft......stuff? And........

+
Need Help: How do I craft......stuff? And........

So I just picked the game up and I'm totally confused as to what I'm suppose to do. I never played witcher 1 or 2 so I'm kinda lost on how things work in this game.

-How do I craft stuff? And why do I have to craft?
-Why am I looting everything? What do I do with it all?
-How do I repair my sword? And why do I have 2?

Hope someone can help cuz I'm kinda lost and I'm getting frustrated with what I have to do and how.

Thanks in advance.

You need a formula (basically the instruction how something is crafted) and the necessary materials. Then you have to go to a weapon or an armour blacksmith.

When it comes to repairing your equipement every blacksmith will do.

You silver swords is for monsters and your steel swords for humans, but there are exceptions.

Last edited:
Ok. Great. Thanks. But you didn't explain why I need to craft. I just don't understand why. What's the purpose in crafting?
And what about looting? Why do I loot and what do I do with it all??

In order to craft you have to find the schematics or blue prints for the item, whether that be a piece of armor or a weapon. If you have looted the correct components for the item then a blacksmith will craft it for you, for a price.

So the purpose of crafting is to improve your character without simply purchasing items from vendors, and the purpose of looting is to get the materials you need for crafting, or you could simply sell the items you loot.

It doesn't sound like you played a lot of RPG's before. Welcome to the wonderful world of RPG's where you don't get your stuff that easily ;-)

Ok. Great. Thanks. But you didn't explain why I need to craft. I just don't understand why. What's the purpose in crafting?
And what about looting? Why do I loot and what do I do with it all??

Well, lets start with a basic concept. Each time you attack, you do an amount of damage. That damage depends on several things, but one of them is your equipment, your sword. So, why do you craft? To make a better sword, to do more damage, to kill faster or harder enemies.

You loot items for the same reason. They may be better than your own items. Or if they are worse, to sell them. And you loot materials to craft items

To be able to craft stuff like potion, bombs, armors, weapons etc. You need 3 things: blueprint, components and a crafter (for armors, weapons and some crafting mats like ingots). For alchemy (bombs, potions etc) you can do it yourself via the Alchemy menu.

There are two types of crafters as far as I could see. Armorsmith and Weaponsmith. I havn't seen one doing both. If you have a blueprint and all the mats needed for the craft, the crafter will make the item in exchange for a couple of crowns.

Why crafting stuff? well, when you progress in your adventures, you'll encounter more difficults monsters / npcs, and you'll have to be equiped with gear that fits your level. For exemple, your base sword do 35 damage, a sword of level 10 will do 135 (it's not actual numbers, but to give you an idea). it's the same thing for armors that will help you reduce the damage you take.

Armors comes in different styles: light, medium and heavy. Each one has different bonus and fit a different play style.

You loot everything to have LOTS of materials and either sell it to merchants, or use it to upgrade your stuff. You also can ask a crafter to decompose items to get some raw material you can refine later. For an exemple, with some silver candlestick, you can decompose it and get silver. You can then refine it and transform it in silver ingot. Or you can simply sell the candlestick to a merchant.

Two ways for repairing. Either you have some sort of adventurer repair kit (different for swords and armors) or you ask a crafter to repair it (its on the crafter menu).

You have two swords because the Steel one is for basic ennemies like humans, wolves, etc. and the silver one is for monsters (drowners, nekkers, and all the nasty stuff you'll encounter!).

Hope this helps!

So I just picked the game up and I'm totally confused as to what I'm suppose to do. I never played witcher 1 or 2 so I'm kinda lost on how things work in this game.

Hope someone can help cuz I'm kinda lost and I'm getting frustrated with what I have to do and how.

Thanks in advance.

(Not sure you're serious, but here you go)

- Why am I looting everything? What do I do with it all?

More loot, more money you get when you sell your loot (LOOT-everything you can pick in game till you get 60 kilograms-Than sell it)
(to merchants, blacksmiths etc...)

- How do I craft stuff? And why do I have to craft?
To be a better and stronger- Geralt

When you find blacksmith, ask him to craft something for you
(some are specialized for armor, some for swords)
Craft armor(blacksmith in white orchard)
craft swords (in garison with soldiers)

- How do I repair my sword? And why do I have 2?

Steel sword to fight HUMANS
Silver swords to fight MONSTERS

If you still have problems , play on easy level (JUST A STORY)
Loot only- swords when you get message that your sword is no good anymore and change the broken with other swords you'll find in game .
Loot other stuff, and sell to get the money to buy things you'll need to finish the game (hopefully)
But remember you'll die very often if you don't try to understand the mechanic of the game.

The game automatically draws the correct sword when fighting. But there is also another way to confirm which sword is correct. Creatures that you use a steel sword against all have a RED health/vitality bar. Creatures you use a silver sword against all have a SILVER health/vitality bar.

Weapons and armour need a armourer and weapon smith to craft the item respectively as has been stated but Alchemy can be done anywhere.

Top Bottom