Need tips about food shortage (also rant about merchants, armorers and blacksmiths)

+
Loot everything you can see when not near a guard and you should never have a problem. There is also Swallow which regens health and you can get that early.

As stated above, loot! Loot anything and everything!

You'll soon be overloaded with food as well as cashed up from all the loots you sell. Money is easy to come by in this game once you get a bit deeper in.

Make sure you're selling to the right merchants too, for example selling weapons and armor to blacksmiths, selling books to book merchants, etc. You get better rates doing this.

Don't bother with Sun and Stars, it's trash. If you want a good ability for getting health back, invest in Quens alternate mode. Or you could go the potion route and get onto Swallow. Say bye bye to food altogether.

If you still really really want food, rabbits, deer, dogs and wolves are a good source of raw meat and wolves livers.

Last edited:
Beginning of the game is kind of harsh as you try to get your bearings and deal with money shortage. I recommend doing things such as picking up literally everything and selling it, you can get some decent money early game selling bandit swords. Also get the stuff you need to craft swallow, once you have swallow you won't have to worry about food much at all.

Well about the food supply, I understand that sometimes the prices go ridiculous when you're buying from merchants. Here are some tips for you, as my own experiences:

- Wolves are a good source of food since you could encounter them anywhere from deep into the wood to highland and mountains (raw meat and wolf liver)
- I often fast travel back to the main town of White Orchard when I was still crawling through first 10 hours of gameplay. Everytime I go through the town, I Igni some geese and collect raw meat, eggs from them. I also Igni the cows (remember to kill them once at a time, you know the consequence if you keep farming them), cow milk gives you 30s effect so it's a good deal too. I find it's fun anyway.
- Of course, loot everything, loot every house you encounter if possible. A good place to loot food is in some inns and bars.
- Sometimes you will see a honeycomb sticking on a tree, Igni that and wait for it to drop down so you can collect it.
- And last thing is, in the long run, I believe you wouldn't need to use food when you already have enchanced or supperior Swallow.

Honeycombs, wolf meat/liver, wild dogs and what you loot from dead bandits. I've never looted from the peasants, unless the location is abandoned.

This is how I do it too.

Wolves far and wide know to fear my approach... they are my number one sustenance in the game.

I like the Sun and Stars too, at least at lower levels. I don't use it higher up though, so I used a respec potion to move the skill point.

I like the Sun and Stars too, at least at lower levels. I don't use it higher up though, so I used a respec potion to move the skill point.

Yup, same here. And the advantage of wolves and dogs over "prey" animals is that they come to you to be slaughtered.

And if you spend some time learning how to kill from horseback, bandit camps are very easy, even if they're much higher level than you. They're always good for a few chicken sandwiches to vary your diet. And water, usually.

Last edited:
If you're getting honeycombs sell them to Tomira instead of eating them for health regen. She pays unreasonably well for them so you're better off using that money to buy more food that heals just as good.

1. Get a saddlebag for additional carry capacity.
2. Loot everything you see.
3. Sell off things you don't want/need.
4. You'll have tons of food & mad (coin) stacks

If it's just a health problem then go around White Orchard, get those Places of Power and put a point in the Sun & Stars skill.

How do I find plenty food in order to replenish my health during battles and non-battles? Is there a special merchant that actually sells reasonable cheap prices for food?

Don't buy food. In fact, the only things in the game worth buying are:

1. Crafting diagrams (for runestones/equipment upgrades only; not for weapons/armor) and alchemy formulas.
2. The base alcohols required to brew the white gull potion (and maybe also alcohest early on, though you can generally loot enough alcohest that you don't need to worry about brewing any yourself).
3. Rare crafting materials, if and when you need them.
4. Gwent cards.
5. A potion of clearance.
6. Balisse fruit, if you're having trouble finding it in the wild and haven't brewed the alchemy items that require it yet.

Anyways, you should have started the game with a formula for the 'swallow' potion, which will heal you when you drink it. So the first thing to do is access the alchemy menu and create the potion. Once you do, you can resupply the potion for free by meditating, as long as you have at least one alcohest in your inventory. You can find alcohest by looting the various barrels, shelves, crates, and chests in the game. Or you can brew your own from the alchemy tab, as well.

Eventually you'll come across a formula for white rafford's decoction, which is another healing potion (and often more useful during combat than swallow). Be sure to brew it as soon as you find it.

Using either potion (and also, effective dodging, parrying, and the quen sign), you should never have to rely on food/drink to heal. Though if you're going to use food, wolf livers are probably the best option as they'll regenerate a good amount of vitality and you can get them for free by killing wolves (which the game will supply in great abundance).

If you do side-quests you should find a lot of good stuff while looting. Also as mentioned there's swallow. If you play it on the easier modes meditation will refill your vitality.
idk man... even on death march I allways end up selling food.

If you want to get out of this situation quickly my best advice is to go to Novigrad asap and then loot it, every building. You will pick up so much that it'll sustain you for a good couple of levels, at which point you then return to the level 5 wolves and can sustain yourself that way.

If you want to get out of this situation quickly my best advice is to go to Novigrad asap and then loot it, every building. You will pick up so much that it'll sustain you for a good couple of levels, at which point you then return to the level 5 wolves and can sustain yourself that way.
I never really look for food. I allways have plenty. As long as you allways fix your gear when you see a blacksmith you shouldnt take much damage from normal monsters or humans. Remember to save every 5 minutes. And while on quests allways loot chests. As soon as you find the manuscript for swallow you'll have no need for food anyway, even at B&BB or DM.

Top Bottom