New article and new info

+
New article and new info

http://kotaku.com/everything-ive-learned-about-the-witcher-3-468670725

Some interesting news there. Drinking potions during battle, 10 signs, different stances depending on opponent difficulty, real time hand-to-hand combat.

Consuming potions during combat, huh? To be honest, that doesn’t sound like an improvement to me :S

Demut said:
Consuming potions during combat, huh? To be honest, that doesn’t sound like an improvement to me :S

Toxicity will prevent spamming potions but you're right, sounds rather mainstreamish.

I love the Storybook idea. It's great for players who might have to take long breaks from playing because of life stuff, haha.

And TEN signs! Hell, yes! All the combat improvements sound exciting, but I am not that thrilled about potion drinking during combat; this aspect of RPGs was always nonsensical to me.

Also, they can charge for DLCs, thank you for the non-DRM support and movement. Go, Reds!

Thanks Mike

we already have a discussion for new articles, please post your link there and dragonbird will take care of everything.

http://en.thewitcher.com/forum/index.php?/topic/34364-interviews-and-articles-on-tw3/

thanks again mate.

Well, one of the things I enjoy about the Witcher series is the need for preparation. This sounds like it would - if not outright remove - then at the very least diminish the importance of this feature (not to mention the abandonment of the lore if I understood it right) so naturally I’m cautious about this. At the minimum they should implement animations for drinking the potion if they absolutely insist on going through with this.

@ Black Leopard: That thread is more for compilation. It's okay to have separate discussion threads for new articles, or at least that's what I've observed. I don't question it if the mods don't have a problem :shrug:

All of it seems really good, but the potion bit. I really, REALLY hope they understand that what made Witcher unique was the study of monster manuals, preparation and forethought. I can't play another RPG without wincing when my character chugs a potion mid battle. This was a core design element of both Witcher games CDPR...

Don't like the idea of drinking potions during combat. The rest sounds promising.

And about "big add-ons" costing money. Are they thinking about expansions already? Or do they consider something like the Enhanced Edition of TW2 as a "big add-on?"

slimgrin said:
I can't play another RPG without wincing when my character chugs a potion mid battle. This was a core design element of both Witcher games CDPR...

You can drink potions in TW1 mid-battle.

@ slimgrin: But it also made TW games' combat inaccessible.

Well, maybe it won't make a difference in the harder gameplay modes. There...there are harder gameplay modes, right?

slimgrin said:
All of it seems really good, but the potion bit. I really, REALLY hope they understand that what made Witcher unique was the study of monster manuals, preparation and forethought. I can't play another RPG without wincing when my character chugs a potion mid battle. This was a core design element of both Witcher games CDPR...

I wouldn't mind too much if it were made so that you'd get clobbered if you stopped to drink a potion (or sharpen or oil your sword) while you were under attack. You'd have to find a place that was safe for long enough to complete the animation. This would mitigate some of the perceived "unfairness" like having no way to use potions when fighting the Draug.

While Geralt knows full well he should be prepared, forcing him to be prepared for every eventuality and not giving him scope to adapt and improvise is a bit too restrictive. Maybe the need to prepare could be reinforced by requiring that he use only potions, oils, or whetstones from his quickslots while in combat. Thus his preparation would include stocking suitable items where he can grab them without going fishing in his inventory.

What puzzles me about the article is the claim of "10 signs", which sounds more like 5 signs with two casting modes (as in TW1?) for each.

So long as we take massive damage or are killed if hit while chugging potions then i'm fine with it, i'll never do it but that's neither here nor there. Hope they don't make too many concessions to the slack jawed idiot crowd. It's good to be caught with ones trousers down ocassionally, Geralt is only mortal after all.

KnightofPhoenix said:
You can drink potions in TW1 mid-battle.

It was never implemented properly though, and as a result I hardly ever did it. Instead, I prepared for combat, thought about conflicts ahead of time. It really made the game's combat more meaningful and was in keeping with the warrior monk routine. They absolutely made the right move in TW2 by getting rid of it altogether. And then all the pansies whined and complained, and so here we are. Health potions during combat, WTF...

KnightofPhoenix said:
Are they thinking about expansions already?
That’s what it sounds like to me. It makes sense, too, since they said this would be the last title involving Geralt. So expansions would be the only way to still get out some more content with Geralt ;>

I find these kind of statements always puzzling:

Badowski described the process of of bringing the game to PS4 as quite comfortable, as CDP is a PC-oriented company and the PS4 is essentially a PC. "It's another platform, but PC-like. Which is cool."

Let's translate this to normal language: PS4 is essentially a general purpose computer "It's another platform, but general-purpose-computer-like. Which is cool.". Either I miss something here (since PS4 is not general-purpose-computer-like), or they have some peculiar definition for PC, or they actually mean something completely different (like for example OpenGL synergy between PC OSes, and PS4).

I'm not sure about the potions during battle bit, will need to wait for more info.

And a separate thread for each article is fine. I'm just keeping the index, so I'll be adding this one in. :)

GuyN said:
I wouldn't mind too much if it were made so that you'd get clobbered if you stopped to drink a potion (or sharpen or oil your sword) while you were under attack. You'd have to find a place that was safe for long enough to complete the animation.

That's all well and good, but should potions and oils confer the same amount of benefit as when Geralt has time to meditate and use/apply them properly? I would prefer that they didn't.

If you use potions or oils in combat, they should be less beneficial, e.g. for oils, 5% sword damage increase changes to 2.5% sword damage increase, or something like that.

BlackLeopard said:
Thanks Mike

we already have a discussion for new articles, please post your link there and dragonbird will take care of everything.

http://en.thewitcher.com/forum/index.php?/topic/34364-interviews-and-articles-on-tw3/

thanks again mate.

Just to clarify, the sticky "interviews and articles" thread is an index, not really a discussion thread. It would get much too cluttered if we tried to use it for discussion of every article on the game that came out. We can go ahead and discuss each article in its own thread. But we'll still add this article to the index in the sticky thread.

BlackLeopard said:
That's all well and good, but should potions and oils confer the same amount of benefit as when Geralt has time to meditate and use/apply them properly? I would prefer that they didn't.

If you use potions or oils in combat, they should be less beneficial, e.g. for oils, 5% sword damage increase changes to 2.5% sword damage increase, or something like that.

I like that idea. Potions really should take time to take full effect, just like a tequila depth charge doesn't hit you for a minute or so. And if you're in a hurry, you won't get a generous or uniform coating on your blade.

On the bright side, making boxing a variation on the sword fighting mechanics is just what I'd hoped they'd do.

Top Bottom