No Steam, please!

+
No Steam, please!

I hate having to remain online to play a single-player game. Plus, I like to choose when I update and not have to wait while junk gets crammed down my throat from Little Brother. Maybe I only have a little time to play, do I want to wait while Steam Launcher updates? NO!

I hate having to remain online to play a single-player game. Plus, I like to choose when I update and not have to wait while junk gets crammed down my throat from Little Brother. Maybe I only have a little time to play, do I want to wait while Steam Launcher updates? NO!
CDPR operate GOG.com, which will invariably have a downloadable copy of 2077 when it's released which will not require any 3rd party software at all. You have nothing to worry about in that respect.

TW3 is already confirmed as no DRM for retail and for GOG digital version. CDPR will also make it available through other resellers, including Steam, but definitely not as an exclusive. There's no reason to think that CP77 will be any different - CDPR don't allow publishers to dictate such things, and have built their reputation on this issue.

Forum veteran
What Chris said, also Steam comes with an offline mode.
An offline mode that sporadically stops working, giving enough people errors like this...

... that many still believe that Steam is always-online DRM. "Offline mode" isn't much of a consolation until they actually manage to fix it for everyone.

Many also believe the planet is only a few thousand years old. Oh, and that video games are bad for you and your kids. Many are dumb. Steam is fine -as fine as software is likely to get.

I'll happily eat the occasional Steam weirdness if I can be guaranteed to never bluescreen and hardcrash from a game that I meet minimum - hell, even recommended - specifications for.

I hope they release as widely as they can.

An offline mode that sporadically stops working, giving enough people errors like this...

... that many still believe that Steam is always-online DRM. "Offline mode" isn't much of a consolation until they actually manage to fix it for everyone.

Which reminds me, after arguing with you forever about the offline mode issue, I finally experienced it a couple of months ago. If I were the kind of person to apologise to people who have numbers instead of names, I'd offer you an apology for doubting you. But I'm not. :)

But I still stay offline for weeks at a time.

And yes, it's all about choice. And maximising sales. If someone wants to buy from Steam, or Origin, they'll be able to. If they want DRM-free, then they can buy from Gog or retail.

Forum veteran
But I still stay offline for weeks at a time.
Me too! OMG, we have ~soooooooooo~ much in common!

Heh. Steam has actually worked for me for quite awhile, too. Still, I was pointing out that some people still have issues with it and that "offline mode" isn't necessarily a shield against the criticism that it requires you to be online (because it does for some).

Pretty sure the thread title should say "Steam-exclusive," though. The two are quickly becoming synonymous because of how many developers seem to go Steam and only Steam, sadly, but the distinction is definitely necessary in this case because not putting the game on Steam at all would just be stupid. Maximum exposure is always a good thing in my book!

Aaaaand that's why I'm not allowed at the local car wash anymore.

As long a we get to buy it on GoG I'm happy. Steam has too many customers for them to ignore that service, I believe they sold way more copies of TW2 on steam than GoG.

I stand corrected - my Thread title should have said "No Steam ONLY, please!"

Don't get me wrong. I don't care if they make it available to Steam devotees, just as long as it is not a "Steam required" game, like Skyrim. By the way, there have been times when I would get a message that said, "Unable to connect to Steam" and Skyrim would close. There have been other times when my game would crash, only to find a "Cannot connect to Steam" message sitting behind it. Coincidence?

Anyway, I am glad that there will be many options for Witcher 3 (which I am certainly going to buy, now that I know this) and hope that fully extends to CP2077 as well.

...and that's why i ll play it on consolle.

You're a funny guy...

As for the topic, it's CDPR and like bird lady said, they have their own site and they'll sell through Steam and Retail like they did with Witcher 1 and 2 and will do with 3.

As long a we get to buy it on GoG I'm happy. Steam has too many customers for them to ignore that service, I believe they sold way more copies of TW2 on steam than GoG.
And since you can redeem Witcher or Witcher 2 bought on Steam (or retail) to have them on your GOG library... I bet they'll do something like that with CP2077 AND TW3.

And since you can redeem Witcher or Witcher 2 bought on Steam (or retail) to have them on your GOG library... I bet they'll do something like that with CP2077 AND TW3.

Well, we'll need to wait and see on that one. I love what they did (and took advantage of it, as my original purchases were on Steam), but I'm not sure how much of it was a marketing decision and how much was because there were always problems on Steam because of the way the game was packaged, and with retail because of the relatively complex DRM removal process.

If it was a marketing decision, it'll probably happen again with TW3 and CP77. If it was because of those awful Steam patches, it may not.

Many also believe the planet is only a few thousand years old. Oh, and that video games are bad for you and your kids. Many are dumb. Steam is fine -as fine as software is likely to get.

I'll happily eat the occasional Steam weirdness if I can be guaranteed to never bluescreen and hardcrash from a game that I meet minimum - hell, even recommended - specifications for.

I hope they release as widely as they can.

Aye well said.

Under all the years I've used Steam, all the games I've played and the hours I've poured into the service, I gotta say, the experience has been nothing but positive. People are so fanatical about the whole "No DRM" thing. I mean, I agree! DRM is total bollocks, I hate the concept with every fiber of my being. But it's about balance. It's about what do you get from using a particular service that's always online. The pros of Steam far, far, FAR outweigh the negatives. If you can't see it, well too bad then. I hate DRM, but I hate blind, mindless fanaticism even more...

As for the OP's question: I'm 100% sure that RED will offer a non-DRM version on GOG and shit. So don't worry.

PS: Wow, "Little Brother". Yeah mate, stick it to the man. Not at all sensational, loaded wording there bro.

Top Bottom