NPC pop-in issues

+
I am also experiencing this issue. I am running from a regular SATA drive at 7200 RPM with a 760 GTX, Windows 7 64-bit, Medium settings.

What the hell CD red are doing ... with every patch therer is even more broken things rather the opposite. If they continue to release broken patches I guess the game will be playable with patch 3.01 :D

Wish I had a gog copy at this point in time, steam forces you to use these broken patches. sigh.

Blame DX11, the devs will say otherwise but without that pop in the engine would crash quite often or you'd get massive frame drops. DX11 will crumble over anything above 10k calls whilst DX12 can handle hundreds of million with no massive drops.

The devs will say it doesn't matter but it's simply not true. Same thing happened in Unity, where they had massive NPC crowds and pop-ins where everywhere, not to mention the framerate. Same thing here.

You'll just have to deal with it, plus, I never hear anyone but the minority with the 1000$+ rigs complain. If the devs started catering to you only we wouldn't get any PC games anymore. Learn to deal and spend your money wisely.

I have FX-6300, 8GB RAM, R9 270x and getting 40+ fps with everything on high but shadows and SSAO with every postprocessing option on. AMD doesn't even have a driver for Witcher 3 out yet so we'll get even more performance after it releases. Seriously, learn to deal, there are bigger issues with the game regardless, I can't even finish a race in Skellige since the race master doesn't show up no matter what plus a few other things.

They're doing their best with what they have, learn to be more lenient.

Blame DX11, the devs will say otherwise but without that pop in the engine would crash quite often or you'd get massive frame drops. DX11 will crumble over anything above 10k calls whilst DX12 can handle hundreds of million with no massive drops.

The devs will say it doesn't matter but it's simply not true. Same thing happened in Unity, where they had massive NPC crowds and pop-ins where everywhere, not to mention the framerate. Same thing here.

You'll just have to deal with it, plus, I never hear anyone but the minority with the 1000$+ rigs complain. If the devs started catering to you only we wouldn't get any PC games anymore. Learn to deal and spend your money wisely.

I have FX-6300, 8GB RAM, R9 270x and getting 40+ fps with everything on high but shadows and SSAO with every postprocessing option on. AMD doesn't even have a driver for Witcher 3 out yet so we'll get even more performance after it releases. Seriously, learn to deal, there are bigger issues with the game regardless, I can't even finish a race in Skellige since the race master doesn't show up no matter what plus a few other things.

They're doing their best with what they have, learn to be more lenient.
Version1.02 of the game was using DX11 and it had none of these pop-in issues.

I also notice it and considering how immersive and fantastic the game is when running properly (1.02) I find it difficult to ignore and cope with. Trying to sink into into this great, oh so great world and BAM! have 2 characters pop-in IN YOUR FACE to remind you about reality. 3 patches in and 2 of them introduced an immersion breaking bug and worse performance (1.04 knocked my fps from 55-60 to 40-55). I do understand that when you make a product of this scope issues are to be expected but come on, why break something that works?

Last edited:
I also notice it and considering how immersive and fantastic the game is when running properly (1.02) I find it difficult to ignore and cope with. Trying to sink into into this great, oh so great world and BAM! have 2 characters pop-in IN YOUR FACE to remind you about reality. 3 patches in and 2 of them introduced an immersion breaking bug and worse performance (1.04 knocked my fps from 55-60 to 40-55). I do understand that when you make a product of this scope issues are to be expected but come on, why break something that works?
Couldn't have said it better myself! Well done.

Played it myself with 1.02 and had the same pop-in. Witcher 2 also had this issue but not to this scale since it wasn't open world. When you make an open world game this size, you can expect this. Even GTA V has the same issues with NPCs on the street and vehicles. It happens with each open world game, it is simply a limitation of DX11' draw call capabilities.

Played it myself with 1.02 and had the same pop-in. Witcher 2 also had this issue but not to this scale since it wasn't open world. When you make an open world game this size, you can expect this. Even GTA V has the same issues with NPCs on the street and vehicles. It happens with each open world game, it is simply a limitation of DX11' draw call capabilities.
1.02 never had it as bad as this. Nope. I played it, I know :)

1.02 never had it as bad as this. Nope. I played it, I know :)

Didn't say it was as bad but pop-ins where still present there. Pretty sure you can edit some files to extend the range at which it renders everything but it will cost some frames and even possibly stability. To be fair, the game to be running as it does on High, even on my rig is pure wizardry. On par with GTA V I'd say, even with all these issues. Trust me, this is amazing, I dare you to find me an open world RPG on this scale that runs and looks better than this. Skyrim doesn't count, it doesn't have nearly enough the same graphics and density and I'm talking about the version without the mods. Every game has pop-ins like this, like I said, it's a limitation of DX11, it's why DX12 is coming soon and Vulkan exists. If DX wasn't a problem we'd still be using DX7. Hardware advancements are so far ahead of software and low level APIs are a must if we're to get better and better games.
[video=youtube;rpDdOIZy-4k]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpDdOIZy-4k[/video]
^Notice the "MORE CHARACTERS" quote in the Age of Wushu video? Goes to show how powerful DX12 really is. There are twice as many NPCs in the DX12 version than in the DX11 and it still has a better framerate.

Last edited:
First of all NPC pop-in issue in TW3 has nothig to do with hardware or software limitation. If you try set everything to low or ultra details, this issue remain. It's about programming error in game. All NPCs are loaded correctly after fast travel to the location where they were pop-in. But they always pop-in after loading save.
This bug has to be fixed by devs in incoming patch, we're not able to fix that .:p Also missing or correctly loaded NPCs have zero impact on performance. Because of that i don't belive it's performance tweak by devs but only bug.

Last edited:
First of all NPC pop-in issue in TW3 has nothig to do with hardware or software limitation. If you try set everything to low or ultra details, this issue remain. It's about programming error in game. All NPCs are loaded correctly after fast travel to the location where they were pop-in. But they are always pop-in after loading save.

Hm, interesting. Since there is a priority-streaming system it might be an issue due to loading priority. I don't know if NPCs are belong to Mesh, Resource, Animation or generic, but i do know that some of you might give it a try:
navigate to "\The Witcher 3 Wild Hunt\bin\config", backup the file "io_priority_table.xml" and then open it with notepad (notepad2 is recommended).
Search the section "WorldStreaming" you will see three lines like this:
Code:
    <tag name="ResourceLow" priority="low"/>
    <tag name="ResourceNormal" priority="normal"/>
    <tag name="ResourceImmediate" priority="high"/>

Replace them with these lines:
Code:
    <tag name="ResourceLow" priority="high"/>
    <tag name="ResourceNormal" priority="high"/>

Important note: There is a file in "\The Witcher 3 Wild Hunt\bin", too so you might replace this in both of them. I'll try this too.

Hm, interesting. Since there is a priority-streaming system it might be an issue due to loading priority. I don't know if NPCs are belong to Mesh, Resource, Animation or generic, but i do know that some of you might give it a try:
navigate to "\The Witcher 3 Wild Hunt\bin\config", backup the file "io_priority_table.xml" and then open it with notepad (notepad2 is recommended).
Search the section "WorldStreaming" you will see three lines like this:
Code:
    <tag name="ResourceLow" priority="low"/>
    <tag name="ResourceNormal" priority="normal"/>

Replace them with these lines:
Code:
    <tag name="ResourceLow" priority="high"/>
    <tag name="ResourceNormal" priority="high"/>

Important note: There is a file in "\The Witcher 3 Wild Hunt\bin", too so you might replace this in both of them. I'll try this too.

I would love to hear from you regarding that.

Anyhow - I've sent a ticket to CDPR regarding this issue, was told it has been forwarded to the dev team.

Last edited:
Okay. After some testing there are still pop ins. This wasn't the solution, neither it helped nor made things worse.
Nah. Just noticed that i accidently saved just one file, not the other... so testing again ^^ Sorry for my inconvenience :D Forget the things i said in the spoiler.

I discovered another helpful thing for all the people with NVIDIA-GPU and the TDR (driver reset):

I disabled aero during gameplay and set the run as administrator. To do this:

Code:
-navigate to "\The Witcher 3 Wild Hunt\bin\x64", rightclick on "witcher3.exe"
-chose properties->compatibility->change settings for all users

select the boxes shown above.

For me no TDR so far with driver 352.86 WHQL under Win7 x64 Professional with a lame GTX 660 Ti and a 3930k. Report back if it helps :)

Last edited:
Did you guys try changing the user.settings like in my sig?

Double Check user.setting / ini Files:
Game Installed Directory\The Witcher 3 Wild Hunt\bin\config\base\rendering.ini
C:\Users(usernamehere)\Documents\The Witcher 3\user.settings
Find "TextureMipBias" and change it to "TextureMipBias=0" (If it's not already 0)

Did you guys try changing the user.settings like in my sig?

Double Check user.setting / ini Files:
Game Installed Directory\The Witcher 3 Wild Hunt\bin\config\base\rendering.ini
C:\Users(usernamehere)\Documents\The Witcher 3\user.settings
Find "TextureMipBias" and change it to "TextureMipBias=0" (If it's not already 0)

I will give this a shot. What exactly does this setting do and did it resolve pop-in issues for you?

I will give this a shot. What exactly does this setting do and did it resolve pop-in issues for you?

Resolved a lot of issues for me, from pop-ins and performance, not saying it fixes everything but it helped me out because mine was originally -1.

Changing the TextureMipBias should have zero effect on pop in. Its just a sharpening technique for textures. It makes a decent difference in texture quality, but it can be computationally expensive. If you are having frame rate problems, try that, but it will do nothing to the pop in issues.

Guys use that NVIDIA GeForce Experience to change setting to optimal. Then change them to whatever you like.
For me and my friend this solved all 1.04 poping and performance problems.

Top Bottom