Oils should be usable in combat. Agree/Disagree?

+

• Agree

Votes: 20 33.3%
  • Disagree

Votes: 40 66.7%

• Total voters
What are you people going on about?
Open your inventory, drag and drop the oil you want to use onto your sword.

Nothing prevents you from using oils in combat.
Yes, it's clunky, but you aren't being prevented from using them.

I like the fact that oils can be used in combat. Why? Because in previous games you couldn't do that. It led to two outcomes:

1. You didn't know what you were up against and beat the challenge without it.
2. You died and reloaded or just knew what you'll be fighting at which point, so you used it.

That's how I used consumable boosters (such as oils and elixirs) in Witcher 2. The "preparation phase", while accurate in lore, is not so great gameplay-wise.

I think they are playing on consoles. If you're on pc then yes just drag it.

THIS!! You can already use oils in combat Drag and Drop

Agreed because if we can in one click eat food and drink potions so why shouldn't we use oils??

Besides it's rather difficult to prepare for something you don't know.....the majority of times we don't know what is lurking behind the corner.

I disagree.

Because it's not a problem to put on oil before, this is a game where you plan.. you don't run into a nest of creatures blindly and throw your blade around.
You can of course, you don't need oil for every creatures.

PS: You can drop oil on weapon in combat? Well why the hell is there a topic and poll about this, so misleading.

I was reading the title and wondered, since you CAN actually use oils in combat. So yeah, you can. Just drag and drop, as mentioned.

I personally don't, and neither do I use consumables, if I can avoid it (food). Only potions. This was one of my favourite parts in W2 and was kinda sad it went away.

Eating a chicken wing and drinking a beer in combat = A-OK!
Applying oil to a blade in combat = NOOoooo that's dumb

WTF is with the logic from some of the posters in this thread

No need to limit the usage of it by the game itself. If you find the strength to argue this so strongly you probably also already have the strength to resist your urge to use it in battle, if you even have that urge.

If you can't limit yourself, you probably don't feel strongly enough about it in the first place. The way it is now, it caters for all player styles. I know for my sake I was happy to be able to apply it in battle when a cutscene threw me into a boss battle that wasn't expected.

Outside of that I use oils before battle anyway if I know I will need it and know what I will fight. I could probably go without using it in battle too, if I felt like it.

It's not like it's such a major boost it would kill you not to use it. If you know how to play your Witcher you dodge, block and win the fights anyway, regardless of oils, potions, bombs or decoctions.

Nope nope nope nope, oiling a blade takes time, you shouldn't be able to do it with 10 downers trying to eat your face. Also a lot of what I'm seeing in this tread is that it's hard to guess what your going to fight next and to that I say poppycock. For the most part you will always fight the same monsters in the same areas, I'm going to a swamp guess I need necrophage oil, running down the coast more necrophage oil, crossing a recent battlefield uh..... more necrophage oil.
Yeah necrophage oil is a safe bet for alot of the game.
Running around Skellige well insectoid oil for reasons. Contracts are easy because they straight up tell you what your going to be facing.
Most big monster are easily seen from far off, the flying ones are almost always flying, so if your going to engage them you have no excuse for not changing your oil. On the other big monster I personally have never been ambushed by a golem, a leshen or a earth elemental.
Steel sword are easy hang man oil or beast oil, take your pick, I normally just leave hang man oil on because there are just so many bandits around, also most beast are super easy to kill anyways.
Ideas for making oil last longer make no sense because that's already part of the game. Third level oil ability makes oils permanent with just 3 points.

Disagree. Reason being it takes preparation to oil your blades. I'd go further into suggesting to CDPR to have short oil preparation cinematic animation for Geralt, similar to the Ciri when she is about to
encounter wolf king

---------- Updated at 07:35 AM ----------

Agreed because if we can in one click eat food and drink potions so why shouldn't we use oils??

Besides it's rather difficult to prepare for something you don't know.....the majority of times we don't know what is lurking behind the corner.

I would welcome no eating/drinking to replenish health(except witcher healing potions like swallow) during combat if CDPR would implement it. Also with regards to you not knowing what lurks in the corner, that's when you need to adapt and utilize your witcher sense to attempt to pre-emp being caught off guard. Monsters and beasts make noise which can be detected by witcher sense and you can ready yourself when approaching conspicuous areas with tents or abandoned buildings and expect bandits/cannibal or other human enemies.

Last edited:
Disagree as well all my points are already posted, though an animation of that would be nice, also bring back whetstones and diamond dust (?)

Personally I think oils should have a timer rather than an amount of charges. And I don't understand why it's not like this now as other things such as potions and buffs behave this way.

This should only be possible if they add in a oil animation Witcher 1 style, you should be punished for not preparing properly.

Disagree. Unless...

...doing so would involve an animation of Geralt oiling his blade. Geralt would need to create a pause in the fight during which he can apply the oil or be vulnerable.

Risk for reward is better than just rewards. Plus Awesome Buttons suck.

Disagree. Additionally we should not be able to change potions during combat. I would prefer not being able to open the inventory at all during a fight (at least on Death March)

No need to limit the usage of it by the game itself. If you find the strength to argue this so strongly you probably also already have the strength to resist your urge to use it in battle, if you even have that urge.

If you can't limit yourself, you probably don't feel strongly enough about it in the first place. The way it is now, it caters for all player styles. I know for my sake I was happy to be able to apply it in battle when a cutscene threw me into a boss battle that wasn't expected.

Outside of that I use oils before battle anyway if I know I will need it and know what I will fight. I could probably go without using it in battle too, if I felt like it.

It's not like it's such a major boost it would kill you not to use it. If you know how to play your Witcher you dodge, block and win the fights anyway, regardless of oils, potions, bombs or decoctions.

yes there is a need for the game to impose limitations

if i play on the max difficulty i want to be challenged by the game. i want my fights to require some thinking and knowing everything that is at my disposal and having to use it, not "do what you want cuz a witcher is free", not having to invent additional house rules just so that "death march" difficulty is at least half as hard as it claims to be and not a de facto "sword and story"

otherwise there is no point in having diffculty levels at all

Top Bottom