Older Release Date and General Speculation Thread.

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Follow up, or more like full article mostly about Witcher 3 but there are some new quotes for CP2077

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/we-r...er-hearts-of-stone-and-cyberpunk-2077/0157411

Jose is the best

"Cyberpunk is going to be everything; it’s going to be explosions and fire and lighting effects and everything happening all at the same time. It’s going to be a mess of effects.
“I’m very much looking forwards to it. It’s going to be a challenge. Our ambitions and expectations about the amount of visual information on-screen at any given time is going to be pretty brutal.”

the biggest hype of our age

---------- Updated at 12:31 AM ----------

These sorts of things happen when someone listens to the players rather then the Marketing department.

Now this is interesting ... note the words "We really didn’t know" ... this implies most if not almost all of the design stage of the project is done. Meaning 90% of what we post about here, while interesting, it "too late" to make it into the game.

this is too much assuption, for there is no proof, no evidence of any percentage of being ready or finished, even though that assumption excitens me deeply

just imagine having a launch trailer and a release date earlier than expected

"Cyberpunk is going to be everything; it’s going to be explosions and fire and lighting effects and everything happening all at the same time. It’s going to be a mess of effects.
“I’m very much looking forwards to it. It’s going to be a challenge. Our ambitions and expectations about the amount of visual information on-screen at any given time is going to be pretty brutal.”

the biggest hype of our age

---------- Updated at 12:31 AM ----------

this is too much assuption, for there is no proof, no evidence of any percentage of being ready or finished, even though that assumption excitens me deeply

Yeah, I'm with CPF on this. I think that's too much too assume from such an imprecise comment from the visual designer.

I did use the word "implies".

And no, I think many of the major game design decisions have already been made already.
Single/multiplayer, voiced/nonvoiced, player vehicles/no player vehicles, linear/open world, FPS combat sim/other, the list goes on. I'm also fairly certain they have the basic story/plot-line laid out, many many details yet to be decided but the major points already covered.

Stuff like the amount of character customization, the exact stats/skills to include, the UI, and again the list goes on really are minor details. IMPORTANT details, but still details.

Because story is the first thing they usually work on, and its been a long time since they started working on that, so its fair to assume that has been the case with Cyberpunk

Kaebus2196

Meaning 90% of what we post about here, while interesting, it "too late" to make it into the game.

But not without the hope of our ideas being considered for additional content later in the games release, or even features within a sequel should they dare :3

Why are you fairly certain about this?

Because I've done some game design work that's been published and LOTS of computer projects, I was a programmer/analyst for over 20 years after all as a 3rd career. I have a pretty good idea what the development cycle is for projects.

Long before a single line of code is written you have to know the scope of the project. You don't just write code for various aspects of a project and and slap it in. You MUST have pretty damn specific goals/intentions and know how each piece relates to each other piece, what information is needed, where it's available, how it's accessed.

This is also the source of 90% of bugs. A piece of quest/mission code that doesn't have access to, or use, information generated by another piece of code; or maybe that information wasn't stored in the first place or was stored in a different way then it was accessed. Was the flag that the character talked to the NPC the 1st, 2nd, or 27th part of the data?

99% of the projects that fail are because the ball was dropped in this phase of a project. Ask anyone that does IT for a living. And computer games are just another IT project at their core.

Last edited:
99% of the projects that fail are because the ball was dropped in this phase of a project. Ask anyone that does IT for a living. And computer games are just another IT project at their core.

Okay, but that presumes you know the timeline and how open or closed the design document is. We know CDPR was adding significant things like swimming as late as the last year before release to Witcher 3.

Scope of project is one thing - gameplay decisions like vehicles or perspective can shift and change.

VERY true. Again that's why I qualified my original statement. After all it's only an educated guess on my part.

And actually a decision on vehicles would have to be made VERY early in the design phase because it would have a dramatic impact on the size of the game maps needed. Too small and what's the point of a vehicle? But if you're not using vehicles they can't be so large it takes forever to traverse them on foot.

Last edited:
VERY true. Again that's why I qualified my original statement. After all it's only an educated guess on my part.

Weirdly, my main concern -isn't- that they are feature or gameplay locked.

It's that they aren't firm enough. I refer again to the Witcher 3 swimming and underwater fighting with the crossbow. Prettttty weak. By far the weakest part of the gameplay for me.

So I worry more that they will have this great game, 95% done in, say, 3 years..and then they'll think, "Hey! You know what would be good? Wall climbing!" or whatever.

It's that they aren't firm enough. I refer again to the Witcher 3 swimming and underwater fighting with the crossbow. Prettttty weak. By far the weakest part of the gameplay for me.

So I worry more that they will have this great game, 95% done in, say, 3 years..and then they'll think, "Hey! You know what would be good? Wall climbing!" or whatever.

Exactly why such decisions need to be made early.

Kaebus2196

Whether the features are implemented previous to now, now, soon, or in the future, I have no doubt that they will at least be given considerable thought before introduction to the game, and should they be used in the game, they will not be executed with notable sloppiness. I haven't played the Witcher 3 yet (sorry), so I can't compare statements with the swimming and underwater combat system, but I imagine even if it is the weakest part of the gameplay, it's still not necessarily terrible is it? It's still enjoyable to some extent, yes? I imagine and hope similar such processing is provided to any and all the gameplay aspects we will have in CP 2077.

I only wish I was four years older so I could have a chance at being on their development team for this game. I feel so petty trying to help through forum feedback and discussion :dead:

Play Witcher 3, Soul. You're bad and you should feel bad. BAD.

I'm not so worried about making important decisions early - more that they don't add in the important stuff late. I'm all for a middle ground where they add serious stuff half way through.

And then, you know, tell us! Because updates!

Althouuuuugh....I think Fallout 4 will make a case for or against strong fan feedback during development. If it's great, it'll say you can be great while keeping your fans in the dark. If it sucks or has obvious massive weaknesses that could have been spotted by an enthusiastic following, that'll say something too.

I'm sure CDPR will be watching. And playing.

Kaebus2196

I'm sure CDPR will be watching. And playing.

I have faith that this is true as well. As for Fallout 4, meh. I was honestly more excited about New Vegas's release than this one, not sure why but I just have the feeling deep inside that it's not going to be what was originally in mind for the series. Which, as you said, might be good for Bethesda and major populous because it would ultimately be what they wanted and received rather than something that older fans wanted. Or it could be favored by both. Maybe hated by both. I guess that awaits to be seen.

Play Witcher 3, Soul. You're bad and you should feel bad. BAD.

Triss just woke up and I am about to leave Kaer Morhen, so I think I am close to being all caught up right?

Althouuuuugh....I think Fallout 4 will make a case for or against strong fan feedback during development. If it's great, it'll say you can be great while keeping your fans in the dark. If it sucks or has obvious massive weaknesses that could have been spotted by an enthusiastic following, that'll say something too.

I wouldn't say Beth took any fan feedback during development, mostly they looked at the fan made mods for previous games and saw what was popular and why.

Kaebus2196

I wouldn't say Beth took any fan feedback during development, mostly they looked at the fan made mods for previous games and saw what was popular and why.

They even did it in post development for Skyrim and released that Heartfire DLC because people loved the Build Your Own Home mod. But hey, this is probably just as if not a more effective way of getting feedback on desired features for the game. If a project developed by a small modding group can please so many of their gamers, then replicating it with a full development team could be done with ease and deliver the same effect. It also lets people more or less vote (ratings and download numbers) on features that can actually be made possible (simple mods), rather than typing out a desired feature that comes with its own system that could take extra months of development to design.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom