Papa Emhyr [Spoilers]

+
Amusingly, Ciri being affectionate to Emhyr is actually appropriate for Book Ciri but not Game Ciri.

You argue with the above?

Ciri is someone who suffers Stockholm Syndrome easily due to the events with the Rats and the Wild Hunt. She often finds herself falling under the sway of strong personalities and overlooking their horrible qualities.

Remember, she fell in love with Eredin.

Game Ciri has overcome a lot of her baggage.

Ciri has grown a lot since the books emotionally. There is no reason she shouldn't forgive Emhyr and Avalach. Avalach helped her immensely. Without him, she would probably not survive, being chased by wild hunt. Whatever he did to her in the books was nothing, she couldnt forgive him for. Regarding Emhyr, he did many bad things, but all that was for greater good. He never wanted to hurt her, he wanted to get her to him.

End in the end of the books he spared Geralt and Yenefer and let Ciri go. After that, there is no reason to not forgive him.

About the ending. I always chose empress ending. Ciri has a true chance to do a lot of good as the ruler of half of the known world. Much more so than as a simple witcher. She understands that if she get a chance to talk with Emhyr. Geralt and Yenefer want to live quite and simple life. Why not in Tuissaint, a province of Nilfgard. Squandering a good person like Ciri, person who can do so much good as empress, person with her powers as a simple witcher is wrong.

Yeah... which is why I mercilessly bashed a thread that called Ciri the quintessential modern day heroine and that she should be the focus of the next witcher related franchise. From her looks, to her whole persona the game stinks. It just plain stinks. I can deal with them making Triss their favourite love choice and even giving her red hair as to get your more excited banging her than aubern hair, I can not however deal with the Ciri they sold us. Lookig like a fucking model, fighting in high heels, running from the wild hunt but always having time to apply that god awful eye liner, wearing some skimpy shirt with half her tits hanging out even in the coldest weather. Jesus... it's like the rat Ciri with the mind of 7 year old Ciri and the reasoning of 10 year old Ciri come to live. How the feck has she not developed into a person? How the hell is she a Mary Sue and one that apparently has a deeper emotional connection to an elf that tried to get her raped, a father who killed her mother and tried to rape her and kill her foster parents, some random elves in a circus, some random tavern wench, some ugly dude in a fishing village and a drunk wifebeater?

And of course it makes fucking sense for her to not tell her witcher dad, the dude who slaughtered his way across the continent and back for her and risked his life for her what she is planning and of course she'd never tell her sorceress mother who, to all accounts, is probably the most sophisticated user of magic alive.Yeah fuck them... what do they know and understand? They are so stupid and lame. The elf who wanted me to get raped by a 10.000.000 year old grandpa is way cooler and so is my real dad who killed my mum and grandma and wanted to fuck me. Yeah... go CDPR Ciri. Jesus...

Honestly... this game is great in so many ways but in a pain in the arse in so many other ways when it comes to stuff like that. It seems like halfway through reading the novels to prepare themselves for the story writing they said fuck it and read the cliff notes, probably in google translation from finnish or something.

It's possible Ciri is under orders to call him "Papa" and behave like a loyal daughter in front of everyone at the imperial court..
I don't think "Papa" is appropriate term used by heir to the throne in front of everyone at the imperial court.

About the ending. I always chose empress ending. Ciri has a true chance to do a lot of good as the ruler of half of the known world
Power tends to corrupt, absolute power corrupts absolutely.

but all that was for greater good.

Every bloody dictator in history was excusing himself with "serving greater good"

And from witcher universe there's a good line from Esterad - Dijkstra conversation about all these wonderfull kings and politicians fighting for greater good, that fits Emhyr also.

‘You see,’ continued Esterad. ‘In every country you can find blind fanatics seeking the idea of a social order. They are so committed to that idea that they are willing to do anything. Perhaps even commit the worst crimes, because according to them the end justifies the means and justifies their actions. They do not kill, they safeguard the order. They do not torture, or blackmail, they protect the right of state and the struggle for order. The life of an individual ifthe individual interferes with their dogmas, their established rules, such people are not even worth a shrug. They never become aware that the society they serve consist of precisely these individuals. These people have a so-called broad outlook... Such a view is the surest way not to see other people.’

Ciri has grown a lot since the books emotionally. There is no reason she shouldn't forgive Emhyr and Avalach. Avalach helped her immensely. Without him, she would probably not survive, being chased by wild hunt. Whatever he did to her in the books was nothing, she couldnt forgive him for. Regarding Emhyr, he did many bad things, but all that was for greater good. He never wanted to hurt her, he wanted to get her to him.

Well, for the greater good of Emhyr. Also, there's no reason he had to marry her other than he wanted his son to rule the world, not his daughter.

And in the end of the books he spared Geralt and Yenefer and let Ciri go. After that, there is no reason to not forgive him.

Well, there's plenty of reasons but Ciri isn't a naturally vicious person. She just developed that skill under the Rats.

About the ending. I always chose empress ending. Ciri has a true chance to do a lot of good as the ruler of half of the known world. Much more so than as a simple witcher. She understands that if she get a chance to talk with Emhyr. Geralt and Yenefer want to live quite and simple life. Why not in Tuissaint, a province of Nilfgard. Squandering a good person like Ciri, person who can do so much good as empress, person with her powers as a simple witcher is wrong.

Ciri has already saved trillions of beings by destroying the White Frost. Yeah, she could do a lot of good as the Empress of Nilfgaard but, honestly, it would be a life of misery for her.

I'm okay with her being who she wants to be.

Besides, Nilfgaard is a slave state and as Empress, she's a slaver and influenced by Emhyr. Weakening Nilfgaard is a good thing.

I won't lie, Ciri calling Emhyr "papa" hurt my Geralt's feelings. I try to rationalize it by telling myself she calls Emhyr papa out of necessity, not out of love or respect.

Yeah... which is why I mercilessly bashed a thread that called Ciri the quintessential modern day heroine and that she should be the focus of the next witcher related franchise. From her looks, to her whole persona the game stinks. It just plain stinks. I can deal with them making Triss their favourite love choice and even giving her red hair as to get your more excited banging her than aubern hair, I can not however deal with the Ciri they sold us. Lookig like a fucking model, fighting in high heels, running from the wild hunt but always having time to apply that god awful eye liner, wearing some skimpy shirt with half her tits hanging out even in the coldest weather. Jesus... it's like the rat Ciri with the mind of 7 year old Ciri and the reasoning of 10 year old Ciri come to live. How the feck has she not developed into a person? How the hell is she a Mary Sue and one that apparently has a deeper emotional connection to an elf that tried to get her raped, a father who killed her mother and tried to rape her and kill her foster parents, some random elves in a circus, some random tavern wench, some ugly dude in a fishing village and a drunk wifebeater?

Yeah, you might as well be claiming the sky is a shade of teal to how much I think this statement is completely nonsensical. Ciri is supposed to be one of the most beautiful women in the world and you're telling me her scar is supposed to ruin that forever? Also, bluntly, the outfit Ciri wears is the same one as Geralts with the exception of the fact she's showing her bra strap. It may say more about the rest of the game industry than the Witcher 3 but Ciri is one of the more sensibly dressed protagonists in gaming.

As for her trust in Avallech, Ciri has ALWAYS fallen in with bad crowds. It's like her THING. If Ciri was in Star Wars, it would have the second movie be about how she ended up joining Jabba the Hutt's gang followed by the Galactic Empire before ending up back with the Rebels. Ciri is easily persuaded by strong personalities and the thing she does is learn to cast them off in 2/3 of the endings. Admittedly, one of those three endings is suicide but it's her choosing to reject GERALT rather than continue to live under the thumb of anyone else.

And of course it makes fucking sense for her to not tell her witcher dad, the dude who slaughtered his way across the continent and back for her and risked his life for her what she is planning and of course she'd never tell her sorceress mother who, to all accounts, is probably the most sophisticated user of magic alive.Yeah fuck them... what do they know and understand? They are so stupid and lame. The elf who wanted me to get raped by a 10.000.000 year old grandpa is way cooler and so is my real dad who killed my mum and grandma and wanted to fuck me. Yeah... go CDPR Ciri. Jesus...

With all due respect, the entire game is about Ciri coming into her own as a heroine rather than relying on Geralt to fight her battles for her. Yennefer nearly killed everyone on Skellige for Ciri and you're telling me you think she'd let Avallach risk her life against Ice Cthulhu? No, she'd murder Avallach and say, "Oh, that's just too bad."

Honestly... this game is great in so many ways but in a pain in the arse in so many other ways when it comes to stuff like that. It seems like halfway through reading the novels to prepare themselves for the story writing they said fuck it and read the cliff notes, probably in google translation from finnish or something.

Yeah, 100% disagree.

Yeah well, honestly I don't really care what you think because there is no point in even discussing this with someone whose view is completely opposed. There is no common ground. I will simply say that you should give some credit to the personal developement Ciri goes through in the books and take that and the time since the books to come into her own even more much more into account than you seem to be doing.

Also if you seriously think Yen would or could murder someone like Avallach you seriously overestimate her power, underestimate his and also underestimate her as well for not accepting Ciri's decisions even though, throughout the game, it is clearly shown that she does. She even tells you she expected you to go with Ciri to fight Imlerith and doesn't say a word against it.

Furthermore it is really simplisitic thinking if you think about telling Geralt of her plans as a sort of: daddy please help me moment. It's about trust. It's about telling Geralt because she trusts him and knows he will support her even though it might be difficult. So either they should have connected it to the decision system, in which she will tell you, when you support her independance, or through some other means because the book Ciri would not simply fuck off without saying a word to Geralt and Yen. It's about trusting the two individuals who have helped her grow as a person the most. The surrogate mother who taught her about sex and sexuality, magic, politics and in general life and the surrogate dad who trained her, taught her how to survive, how to keep save, helped her during everything she has been through. Now those two are out of the loop because Ciri needs to be indepedant yet she relies on a bad crowd, a guy who basically wanted her to get raped and used as a breeding machine? Yeah... sorry read the books dude.

Guest 3847602

Why she didn't tell nor Yen, nor Geralt about her abilities and adventures, when they were together, during book events?

Well, they had to know something about her adventures, else 3 of them traveling around Nilfgaardian provinces, visiting places Ciri previously visited wouldn't make much sense:

‘Now where?’ Geralt asked, looking at the column of smoke that clouded the rosy morning sky.
‘Where else do you want to visit, Ciri?’
She looked at him and he soon regretted asking. Suddenly he wanted to hug her, he dreamed of holding her in his arms, cuddling her and caressing her hair. To protect her. And never allow her to be alone. To not suffer any more evil. And that nothing would happen to her that would make him crave revenge. Yennefer was silent. Yennefer was often silent lately.
‘Now,’ Ciri said quietly, ‘we go to a village call Unicorn. The name comes from the straw unicorn that protects the town. A poor and ridiculous puppet. I would like that, as a reminder of what happened there, the inhabitants have … if not valuable, at least a more dignified idol. I would like to ask for your help, Yennefer, because without magic …’
‘Sure, Ciri. What next?’
‘The Pereplut Swamps. I am confident that I will be able to … find a cabin in the middle of the swamp. I will find the remains of a man. I want those remains to rest in a decent tomb.’
Geralt said nothing. But didn’t look away.
‘After,’ continued Ciri, without the slightest difficulty withstanding his look, ‘the village of Dun Dare. The local tavern has probably been burned and it is possible that the innkeeper has been murdered. It is my fault; I was blinded by hatred and revenge. If he had a family, I’ll try and make it up to the survivors.’
‘You cannot make it up,’ Geralt said, still looking at her.
‘I know,’ she said sharply, almost angrily. ‘But I will stand in front of them with humility. I will remember the look in their eyes. I hope that the memory of those eyes will protect me from similar mistakes. Do you understand, Geralt?’
‘I understand, Ciri,’ Yennefer said. ‘Both of us, we understand you very well, my dear. Let’s go.’

something

Yes. But what about travelling between worlds or something else?

Maybe she did but we didn't got a description

Open for interpretation, isn't it? And I didn't see a lot criticism towards books. Why when bash CDPR if they do particularly same?

But honestly - are you stating that Ciri did not trust Geralt and Yennefer?

No, i don't say that, but as you see, even from her book character - her relations with those two don't mean that she would tell them everything.

Last edited:

Guest 3847602

Yes. But what about travelling between worlds or something else?

We don't know what she told them about that part, they were simply traveling to the places where she had some unfinished business. Anyway, I believe Ciri not telling everything to Geralt and Yennefer (if that was really the case) have more to do with her not being willing to speak just yet about all the crap she's been through recently instead of not trusting them enough. ;)

Yeah well, honestly I don't really care what you think because there is no point in even discussing this with someone whose view is completely opposed. There is no common ground. I will simply say that you should give some credit to the personal developement Ciri goes through in the books and take that and the time since the books to come into her own even more much more into account than you seem to be doing.

I think Ciri goes through an immense amount of character development in the books but her arc isn't completely finished by the time events happen to interrupt it.

Also if you seriously think Yen would or could murder someone like Avallach you seriously overestimate her power, underestimate his and also underestimate her as well for not accepting Ciri's decisions even though, throughout the game, it is clearly shown that she does. She even tells you she expected you to go with Ciri to fight Imlerith and doesn't say a word against it.

Avallach would destroy her the same way Vigelfortz would destroy Geralt but that wouldn't prevent Yennefer from trying. Because that's just the kind of parent she is.

Furthermore it is really simplisitic thinking if you think about telling Geralt of her plans as a sort of: daddy please help me moment. It's about trust. It's about telling Geralt because she trusts him and knows he will support her even though it might be difficult. So either they should have connected it to the decision system, in which she will tell you, when you support her independance, or through some other means because the book Ciri would not simply fuck off without saying a word to Geralt and Yen. It's about trusting the two individuals who have helped her grow as a person the most. The surrogate mother who taught her about sex and sexuality, magic, politics and in general life and the surrogate dad who trained her, taught her how to survive, how to keep save, helped her during everything she has been through. Now those two are out of the loop because Ciri needs to be indepedant yet she relies on a bad crowd, a guy who basically wanted her to get raped and used as a breeding machine? Yeah... sorry read the books dude.

In the game it's not about trust but suicide. People seem to think Ciri is healthy and mentally balanced in the game and that's a serious mistake to make. She's not a typical fantasy heroine even if she's made a lot of progress in the game but struggling with the idea of letting herself be killed by the White Frost since she believes she's not coming back from fighting it. The game isn't about her deciding to fight it, the game is about her gaining the love of life after all the crap she's gone through since the destruction of Cintra to find the strength of purpose to live.

Why doesn't she tell Geralt? Because she doesn't want to say, "Dad, mom, I'm going to go die now."

It would ruin what little time she has left.

When Ciri calls Emhyr a "papa" I don't see a lot of place for interpretation

Beside time they spent together and maybe it was a good time? (Empress ending)
Also she agreed to reunite with him and be his successor and didn't change her opinion through time - is it an accident?

Last edited:
Besides time they spent together and maybe it was a good time? (Empress ending)

OK, she had a great time with Emhyr and calls him papa. It could work but even in witcher emperess ending we can hear that "From Geralt she had gained sense of simple, human decency." For me decency and having great relationship with a mass murderer contradicts

OK, she had a great time with Emhyr and calls him papa. It could work but even in witcher emperess ending we can hear that "From Geralt she had gained sense of simple, human decency." For me decency and having great relationship with a mass murderer contradicts

Ciri has her "achievements", too. Remember Rats?
Plus to be near Emhyr doesn't mean to be in all like Emhyr.

Plus to be near Emhyr doesn't mean to be in all like Emhyr.
In my opinion someone who's decent doesn't have a close relationship with dictator. I mean, Hitler was an artistic soul (he was a painter, liked opera and classical music), so maybe in private life he was pretty approachable and interesting person. But still, I would insist on not having relationship with someone like that.

Top Bottom