Papa Emhyr [Spoilers]

+
But still, I would insist on not having relationship with someone like that.

So you can tell Ciri that Emhyr wishes only to use her - and no empress ending, otherwise you insist to meet him because "He is your father". And Ciri will heed to Geralt's words.

Last edited:
He said "daughter", but Ciri could understand this as "girl" (Elder Speech ambiguity) and that is why she told Geralt&Yen it was "girl".

He said "daughter", but Ciri could understand this as "girl" (Elder Speech ambiguity) and that is why she told Geralt&Yen it was "girl".

Yep, and that's why Yen told her not think about it

So you can tell Ciri that Emhyr wishes only to use her - and no empress ending, otherwise you insist to meet him because "He is your father". And Ciri will heed to Geralt's words.

I did so, of course, but I just think that this affection shown by Ciri towards Emhyr in B&W is OOC. The fact that Ciri decided to be an empress to have more impact on the world, doesn't mean that she have to behave like they are happy family :D

Last edited:
OK, she had a great time with Emhyr and calls him papa. It could work but even in witcher emperess ending we can hear that "From Geralt she had gained sense of simple, human decency." For me decency and having great relationship with a mass murderer contradicts

God almighty, I don't know why I'm doing this but I suppose I have to come to Emhyr's defense here. Emhyr is a complicated figure rather than a one-dimensional evil. He's an autocratic dictator and utterly ruthless in his pursuit of power but he's also an individual who is probably more efficient at warfare as well as competent than just about anyone else in the setting. As rulers go, Emhyr is probably the best one you could have in the setting save Pavetta. He didn't do the Massacre of Cintra nor is he any different from the Northern monarchs in his application of violence as well as terror.

He's a bad person but Ciri isn't going to judge him for that.

She has a lot of innocent blood on her hands as well.

I don't think Ciri would ever have a warm and affectionate relationship with Emhyr because he comes off as a clinical sociopath who doesn't have emotions the way "normal" people would but he isn't a serial killer or monster either. Ciri isn't going to hold the fact he's a murderer against him, though.

She fell for Eredin, I remind people.

Last edited:
but he isn't a serial killer or monster either

“This war is unique,” the bard explained seriously. “The armies of Nilfgaard leave behind them nothing but desolation and corpses: entire fields of corpses. It's a war of total extermination. Nilfgaard against everything. The cruelty...”
“There is no war without cruelty,” the witcher interrupted. “You're exaggerating, Dandelion. It's like burning the ferry: such is the practice... It is, I would say, a military tradition. Since the beginning of the world, armies have been killing, stealing, burning and attacking, unceasingly, and in that order. Since the beginning of the world, when a war breaks out, the farmers and their wives hide in the woods with the few possessions that they can carry and return home when the conflict is over...”
“Not this war, Geralt. After this war, no-one returns. There will be nothing to return to. Nilfgaard leaves behind it only rubble; its armies advance like lava from which no-one escapes. The roads are strewn, for miles, with gallows and pyres; the sky is cut with columns of smoke as long as the horizon. Since the beginning of the world, in fact, nothing of this sort has happened before. Since the world is our world... You must understand that the Nilfgaardians have descended from their mountains to destroy this world.”

". . . they defend these children,' she interrupted crossly. 'Yes, I know. From the werewolf who might kill two or three a year, while a Nilfgaardian foray can kill and burn an entire settlement in an hour."

Yep, Emhyr seems to be a nice guy. I don't know why I'm picking on him

According to the books, it can be taken that in the end a spark of nobility was awoken somewhere deep in the Emhyr's soul, in the soul of an ordinary man, not an Emperor. There was a time when he was an outcast Duny, when he was saved by the love of the princess and the intervention of the Witcher. The Northern Kings also committed their crimes because ' all is fair in Love and War' and so many times repeated phrase "the aim justifies the means'. Maybe the slight transformation began when his own daughter called him a beast:
'They want to kill you! I will not allow it! After all, we have only just been reunited! This is not fair!’‘He who lives by the sword,’ Emhyr var Emreis said dully,’ dies by the sword. They both fought with me and lost. But they lose with dignity.’
Ciri, in three steps stood before him, Geralt silently gasped. He heard Yennefer sigh. Bloody hell, he thought, anyone can see it! Everyone in the Black Ones army will see it! The same attitude, the same sparkling eyes, the same gesture with her mouth, the way she crosses her arms over her chest. Fortunately she inherited her mother’s ashen mane. But even so, those who aren’t blind can see whose blood she is.
‘You,’ Ciri said, directing an angry look at Emhyr. ‘You won. And you think you won with dignity?’
Emhyr var Emreis did not respond. He just smiled and eyed the angry girl. Ciri clenched her teeth.
‘So many dead, so many dead for this end? And they lost with honour? Death is an honour? Only a beast would think so. I have looked at death up close and have not become a beast. And it will never happen.’
He did not answer. He looked at her, seeming to drink her in.
‘I know,’ she hissed, ‘what you are up to. What you want to do with me. I’ll tell you now – I will not let you touch me. And if you do... I’ll kill you. Even if tied up. When you sleep, I’ll bite through your throat...’
The Witcher also pointed out the monstrosity and loathsomeness of Emperor's future deeds:
‘You!’ Geralt interrupted. ‘You broke a signed contract. You broke your word! You lied! These are your debts, Duny! You broke your oaths as a prince, and you have debts as an Emperor. With imperial interest. For ten years!’‘Is that all?’
‘That’s it. Because that is all that is mine, nothing more. But no less! I had to introduce myself to collect the girl when she turned six. I waited on the agreed upon date, but you wanted to steal the child before that time. But the fates, of which you speak, have mocked you. During the next ten years you tired to fight destiny. Now it is your turn, you have Ciri, your own daughter, who you once shamefully deprived of parents and with whom you now want to shamelessly spawn incestuous offspring. You don’t ask for her love? Pah, you don’t have the right to her love! Between us, Duny, how can you look her in the eyes?’
‘The end justifies the means,’ the Emperor said flatly. ‘I do it for the future of the world. For its salvation.’
‘If you have to save the world like this,’ the witcher lifted his head, ‘this world would be better off disappearing. Believe me, Duny; it would be better to perish.’
In final chapters it can be seen that after all there is a need for redemption and for an act of Emperor's mercy and will although his closest adviser Vattier de Rideaux keeps repeating:
‘Your Majesty, let me remind you... The reason of state... In the interest of the Empire...’
Even though there is awareness that with lesser good there is no forgiveness for big evil:
‘Enough,’ Emhyr var Emreis interrupted reluctantly. ‘I said, I will consider. Think about the case and make a decision. And then I will inform you what the decision is.’
Then there comes the moment when during the conversation with the false princes the battle that decides whether good or evil will prevail is raging within him:
'Here comes the interest of the Empire, he thought. The false princess, the false Queen of Cintra. The sovereign to the area around the mouth of the Yaruga River, which is so important to the Empire. Here she comes, looking down, terrified, in a white silk dress with green sleeves and a necklace in shallow neckline. At Darn Rowan I complimented her dress and jewellery selection. Stella knows my tastes. But what am I supposed to do with this doll? Put her on a dresser or mantle?'
‘You understand well,’ he bit his lip. ‘Emperors rule the world, but two things they don’t have control over. Their heart and their time. Both belong to the empire.’
‘I know that,’ she said, ‘all too well.’
‘I will not be here long,’ he said after a moment of heavy silence. ‘I have to go to Cintra, to grace them with my presence at the peace celebration. You will have to go back to Darn Rowan... Cheer up, girl. For the second time, lift your head in my presence. What is that I see in your eyes? Tears? This is a serious breach of etiquette, I will have show Countess Liddertal my highest displeasure. Lift your head, I said...’
‘Please... forgive Lady Stella... Imperial Majesty, this is my fault. Only mine. Lady Stella has taught me... and prepared me well.’
I’ve noticed, and I appreciate it. Fear not, Stella does not run the risk of falling from grace. She never runs the risk. I was just joking with you. Poorly.’
‘I noticed,’ replied the girl, terrified by her own boldness. But Emhyr just laughed. Somewhat forced.
‘Well, I like you,’ he said. ‘Trust me. You are brave. Much like...’
He stopped.
Much like my daughter, he finished in his head. A feeling of guilt struck him like a dog bite.
The girl held his gaze. It’s not just the work of Stella, thought Emhyr. This really is her nature. And despite appearances, she is a diamond that doesn’t scratch. No I will not authorise Vattier to kill this girl. Cintra, this business interests the Empire, but this issue seems to have only one sensible and honourable solution.
‘Give me your hand.’
It was an order delivered in a stern voice and tone. But even though, he could not help feeling that she would have done it willingly. Without coercion.
Her hand was small and cold. But not shaking anymore.
‘What is your name? Please do not tell me it is Cirilla Fiona.’
‘Cirilla Fiona.’
‘I feel like punishing you, girl. Severely.’
‘I know, Your Majesty. I deserve it. But I... I must be Cirilla Fiona.’
‘I think that you’ he said, still holding her hand, ‘regret not being her.’
‘I’m sorry,’ she whispered. ‘I regret that I am not her.’
‘Really?’
‘If I was... truly Cirilla, perhaps, Your Majesty would have been kinder to me. But I am just a fake. An imitation. A doppelganger who is not worthy of anything. Nothing...’
He whirled around and grabbed her arm. Then he released her and stepped back.
‘Would you like a crown? A position?’ he spoke quietly, but quickly, pretending not to see her violently shake her head. ‘Tribute? Compliments? Luxury?’
He paused. He did not see the that the girl shook her head, denying his unjust accusations, perhaps even more unjust by the unspoken ones.
He breathed loudly and deeply.
‘Do you know, little moth, that what you see in front of you is the flame?’
‘I know, Your Majesty.’
They were silent for a long time. The smell of spring suddenly whirled in their heads. Intoxicating.
‘Being the Empress,’ Emhyr finally said dully, ‘is not easy, contrary to appearances. I do not know if I’ll be able to love you.’
She nodded to indicate that she knew this. He saw a tear on her cheek. Just like then, in the Castle Stygga, he felt like a sliver of glass was stuck in his heart.
He hugged her, pressing her hard against his chest, stroking her hair which smelled like lilies.
‘My poor child,’ he said in an unnatural voice. ‘My poor reason of state.’

“This war is unique,” the bard explained seriously. “The armies of Nilfgaard leave behind them nothing but desolation and corpses: entire fields of corpses. It's a war of total extermination. Nilfgaard against everything. The cruelty...”
“There is no war without cruelty,” the witcher interrupted. “You're exaggerating, Dandelion. It's like burning the ferry: such is the practice... It is, I would say, a military tradition. Since the beginning of the world, armies have been killing, stealing, burning and attacking, unceasingly, and in that order. Since the beginning of the world, when a war breaks out, the farmers and their wives hide in the woods with the few possessions that they can carry and return home when the conflict is over...”
“Not this war, Geralt. After this war, no-one returns. There will be nothing to return to. Nilfgaard leaves behind it only rubble; its armies advance like lava from which no-one escapes. The roads are strewn, for miles, with gallows and pyres; the sky is cut with columns of smoke as long as the horizon. Since the beginning of the world, in fact, nothing of this sort has happened before. Since the world is our world... You must understand that the Nilfgaardians have descended from their mountains to destroy this world.”

". . . they defend these children,' she interrupted crossly. 'Yes, I know. From the werewolf who might kill two or three a year, while a Nilfgaardian foray can kill and burn an entire settlement in an hour."

Yep, Emhyr seems to be a nice guy. I don't know why I'm picking on him

Evil
Monstrous
Harmful
Yucky
Rotten

Kind of an odd choice for an example given Emhyr specifically wasn't involved in the Massacre of Cintra but his political enemies who he had all executed.

But it was his decision to attack Cintra

But the military and aristocracy were pushing me to go to war, encouraging me to attack Cintra. The nation needed living space and the vox populi would be
considered this my test as Emperor. I decided to kill two birds with one stone. I would take in one fell swoop, Cintra and Ciri. The rest you know.’

Kind of an odd choice for an example given Emhyr specifically wasn't involved in the Massacre of Cintra but his political enemies who he had all executed.

:D

But it was his decision to attack Cintra

But the military and aristocracy were pushing me to go to war, encouraging me to attack Cintra. The nation needed living space and the vox populi would be
considered this my test as Emperor. I decided to kill two birds with one stone. I would take in one fell swoop, Cintra and Ciri. The rest you know.’

Yes and the Nilfgaardian military decided to turn it into the psycho rampage they did.

Against his orders no less.

So, yes, Emhyr is a conqueror and an autocrat and guilty of all manner or realpolitic like the Scoia'tael but he's not worse than Foltest.

Which is damning faint praise, I admit.

@Willowhugger, I only want to say here that "Stockholm syndrome" theory is rather weak. With Eredin it was not more than a superficial affection of a teenage girl to an elf, before she even knew who and what he is. It is no match with her relationships with Emhyr, and I deeply believe that book Ciri more easily would said "my buddy Eredin" than "Papa Emhyr".

What CDPR did with all these post-B&W endings is gone to full "happily ever after" mode: if Geralt is romancing sorceress - then it's a vacation/retirement in a small house at a quiet sunny place; if Ciri is empress - then she should be happy and shape up as a great ruler under wise directions of her daddy. Both cases are balancing on the edge of nonsense, and barely deserve a serious analysis.

Guest 3847602

What CDPR did with all these post-B&W endings is gone to full "happily ever after" mode: if Geralt is romancing sorceress - then it's a vacation/retirement in a small house at a quiet sunny place; if Ciri is empress - then she should be happy and shape up as a great ruler under wise directions of her daddy. Both cases are balancing on the edge of nonsense, and barely deserve a serious analysis.

Yup, that's particularly apparent with "Geralt alone, Ciri dead" ending where Dandelion visits Geralt in BaW epilogue: "I'm a lonely loser, my daughter is dead, but hey, I've got my vineyard in the end." :animier:

Yup, that's particularly apparent with "Geralt alone, Ciri dead" ending where Dandelion visits Geralt in BaW epilogue: "I'm a lonely loser, my daughter is dead, but hey, I've got my vineyard in the end." :animier:

You're kidding, right? Tell me you're kidding. There is no such thing as a "Ciri dead" ending in B&W, that cannot possibly be. Tell me it's all a joke you just made up. Geralt fucking dies in that ending, dammit!

Guest 3847602

You're kidding, right? Tell me you're kidding. There is no such thing as a "Ciri dead" ending in B&W, that cannot possibly be. Tell me it's all a joke you just made up. Geralt fucking dies in that ending, dammit!

Nope, sorry, no can do. :p The way the epilogues works is:
- Yennefer or Triss visits if romanced
- if neither is romanced, Ciri visits Geralt (as a witcheress or the Empress)
- if she's dead (or you start the expansion standalone) you'll get Dandelion as a guest

https://youtu.be/djousJpegvA?t=250

Of course, seeing Geralt enjoying his time in Toussaint after Ciri just died makes absolutely no sense, but that's how it is... :crazy:

@Willowhugger, I only want to say here that "Stockholm syndrome" theory is rather weak. With Eredin it was not more than a superficial affection of a teenage girl to an elf, before she even knew who and what he is. It is no match with her relationships with Emhyr, and I deeply believe that book Ciri more easily would said "my buddy Eredin" than "Papa Emhyr".

I *HATE* the Empress ending but Ciri has made it abundantly clear she's only wanted one thing out of life and that's a family. If Geralt says that's Emhyr she's going to go all in. If Geralt says that's with him and Yen/Triss she'll go all in that way. I think the idea Ciri becomes a blissful girl under Emhyr is entirely understandable since all she's ever wanted was a place to call her own.

People who wanted her resigned to being Empress were writing their own story rather than, necessarily, what's there.

Top Bottom