Patch 4.01 — list of changes

+
Does anyone has the same issue on Xbox Series S?

After autosave was triggered, FPS dropped to 10-15, until game wasn't restarted

Playing on PC and ever since the 4.01 upgrade, I have experienced multiple stalls and crashes. Did not happen with 4.0. Anyone else experiencing similar issues?

You should buy a new CPU, because with my Ryzen 7 5800X3D + RTX 3080 12GB, I got about 15 fps increase with Performance mode. I am almost always above 60 fps in 1440p DLSS (2.5.1) Quality, everything Ultra+, Hairworks On.
Post automatically merged:

They can't, even though you can't find the D3D11on12.dll file, the game actually utilize that feature, so your CPU has to answer to those calls which the "translater" does. If you can't live with it, I can recommend DX11, it still looks amazing, got a lots of graphical update and on my Ryzen 7 5800X3D, RTX 3080 12GB machine it is almost locked 120 fps, so you have headroom to mod and very multithreaded!

D3D11on12.dll is only used on a few of the menus and not the main game. It's main function is to allow transparent overlays written in DX11 to work in DX12 games. If you are using Steam you've been using it for the Steam overlay in DX12 games for at least the last 5 years ..... If you use the Afterburner/RTSS overlay in a DX12 game you've also been using it all along. It has nothing to do with gameplay just overlays/menus written in DX11 like Steam and RTSS so they will work seamlessly in DX12 games and has ZERO affect on performance
Post automatically merged:

Anyone expecting the CPU threading issue to get fixed is simply going to have to wait until the release of the Cyberpunk paid DLC is finished which will free up the main game engine developers and allow them to fix the issues.

CDPR's problem was they got conned by some Russian developers who told them they could convert a DX11 game to DX12 and did absolutely nothing to the game engine itself despite working on it for well over a year. CDPR simply doesn't have the manpower available right now to fix it correctly and won't until development on Cyberpunk is finished

Last edited:
I’m getting a bug on the 4.01 update for the PS5. Twice now, when i go to manually save the game, the oldest manual save file is gone and new empty save slot appears.
This is exactly the same bug that I'm encountering. I had run into this issue with 4.00 on PS4 but not with 4.00 on PS5. It appears, unfortunately, to be a bug that was introduced with 4.01 on PS5.

This update lowr my fps a lot , a have geforce gtx 1660 supra and ryzen 5 3600 , in last update it was working normali . l dont kwon why this update lower my fps . Plz help me it is not playeble :(

Anyone expecting the CPU threading issue to get fixed is simply going to have to wait until the release of the Cyberpunk paid DLC is finished which will free up the main game engine developers and allow them to fix the issues.

CDPR's problem was they got conned by some Russian developers who told them they could convert a DX11 game to DX12 and did absolutely nothing to the game engine itself despite working on it for well over a year. CDPR simply doesn't have the manpower available right now to fix it correctly and won't until development on Cyberpunk is finished
__If__ both is truly the case, then CDPR should tell the fans.
But there is only silence. There are no explanations, no informations, nothing.
Is it really so astonishing that fans of the game get impatient after 5 weeks of hearing nothing?
5 weeks with a game unplayable due to FPS drops, crashes and permanent stuttering?
After checking the performance after every hotfix and the new patch 4.01 - and getting all hopes of returning to the game crushed again?

They should finally start to tell the truth.

READ the NAME This is Witcher 3 - NEXT GEN not Current Gen. So those of us using RTX 3XXX or even coming lower end 4XXX level GPUs and the equivalent on AMD side are not going to see 100 FPS with all the upgraded graphic detail turned on. If you want more FPS, turn down the eye candy, its NEXT GEN eye candy, so current Gen GPUS will be pushed hard when you turn up everything. And no the pitiful CPU 20 core CPU will not cover for a taxed massively parallel and specialized GPU. Your CPU is not being maxed out because the parts of the game run on the CPU don't need to use lots of CPU at this point. Its all about the graphics and the GPU. Example, AI proccess codded for massive parallel computing can take 5 seconds on a better GPU and minutes if using only the CPU. If you GPU is loaded and they figured out how to take you CPU to 100 on all cores, it would add 5% improvment probably.

I thought that was interesting what you said... This is Witcher 3 - Next Gen not Current Gen... I have RTX 2080Ti graphic card (So, it doesn't matter if you have SLI?). So, you're telling us for the people who doesn't have "RTX 30 series or 40 series graphic cards" should not update The Witcher 3 from version 1.32 to 4.01. So that mean we can't take advantage of new features in 4.01 version. As is right now, TW3, not really playable for me even though when with 4.01 came out. Then again, i haven't update my GeForce Game Ready Driver to 528.24 yet. Im curious to find out over the weekends.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

My history timeline playing:

TW3 - ver. 1.32, flawless. playing non-stop and i have no problem with the game.

TW3 - ver. 4.0, I stopped playing TW3 because whole thing is new with TW3- Next Gen and I don't feel safe to play with my computer due to dis stability within the game (even though, I have high-end computer).

Started playing Cyberpunk 2077, remarkable, very smooth and beautiful. DLSS flawless. So, what is going on with TW3?

I did update GeForce Driver to 528.02 and I was hopeing to play TW3, no luck. however, it made it worse for Cyberpunk 2077. What was that. So, I reversed my driver back to 527.56. Cyberpunk flawless again.

TW3 - 4.01, Still no luck or improvement with 527.56 driver, but however I'm curious about 528.24 driver. Will it be no problem with TW3 and Cyberpunk?

LuckyCat

Sadly game is unplayable after 4.01 patch.
From stable 60 fps (DX11, TAUU, SSR Low, High Settings, 1080p) im getting 35 fps (same settings).
Im running a 3060.

Now fix the rebind keys function so I can play a game I finished a long long time ago... Finally new content and my binds are screwed and cannot be changed. If this is the case give me back the original game and go away.

While the performance in raytracing mode has significantly improved on the Xbox series x.

It crashed only one time when I spoke with one of the npcs. When entering inside a building or caves as others have pointed out there is a strange reflection showing off Blue, Yellow, and purple looking hues. Like I entered inside Keira Metz portal and there's definitely a offputting unfinished reflection from raytracing. or is that just how the game looks? Idk can't remember my other playthroughs how the vanilla game looked.

The purple spider webs are still there sadly it's definitely bothersome seeing errors with again allot of yellow, blue, and purple looking hues while playing the game.

I was hoping when I contacted cdproject something minor they still haven't fixed is Geralts uneven beard growth after the second stage of clean shaven. His mustache is pretty long while the rest of the facial hair is shadow looking. His second stage of facial hair should look equivalent to Witcher 2 Geralts. Mustache length needs to be on pair with the rest of his face.

But overall? At least the game is much more playable now but I still dearly hope that in the upcoming patch 4.02 we will see all these issues being fixed.

Whoever still hasn't yet, it helps tremendously to keep contacting cdproject technical support showing them these things and explaining to them the issues so that they have a higher chance fixing everything so that the game runs and looks as the way it should be.

Thank you for the patch and I look forward to seeing more improvement in the soon/near future raytracing mode on Xbox series x. 👍🏻

Raytracing is much better in performance on xbox series x now in novigrad toussaint populated areas almost everywhere but:
- still purple spiderwebs in toussaint graveyard
-stuttering in velen crookbagbog part near the village in rt mode
-still certain foliage drawing in too late unless you save and load that part of the map for example yellow foliage in skellige map certain high grass in velen etc.
-new stuttering in performance mode where it wasnt before even in kaer morhen
-still crashing in rt mode all the time especially when i load the savegame several times after some time of playing or when i use fast travel to main square in novigrad (performance mode never crashed)

Last edited:
Hey Guys
I have the Witcher 3 on Xbox one and the new patch got the Novigrad armorer saying his old (Top Notch Swords) lines again but he's not sell the new swords added with the patch. I don't know if this is just because I'm on an Old-Gen console and you haven't added them or if this a bug. If its not a bug please please add the swords to the Old-Gen consoles. it would make my day to have them. I've always wanted them.

Last edited:
I'm disappointed old-gen didn't have the steel and silver swords added to the inventory of top notch swords guy.😢 I've been wanting those sword models in the game since 2015. Super sad to time added, but only for next-gen...

This patch fails to fix CPU utlization thus not fixing CPU bound areas such as novigrad. 5900x/3080 still barely 30fps in novigrad and still barely 60fps in most places. You should be ashamed CDPR the issue isn't our hardware nor the RTX its the CPU/bad DX12 you've forced into the old engine. It will not get better until you acknowledged it either!

While the performance in raytracing mode has significantly improved on the Xbox series x.

It crashed only one time when I spoke with one of the npcs. When entering inside a building or caves as others have pointed out there is a strange reflection showing off Blue, Yellow, and purple looking hues. Like I entered inside Keira Metz portal and there's definitely a offputting unfinished reflection from raytracing. or is that just how the game looks? Idk can't remember my other playthroughs how the vanilla game looked.

The purple spider webs are still there sadly it's definitely bothersome seeing errors with again allot of yellow, blue, and purple looking hues while playing the game.

I was hoping when I contacted cdproject something minor they still haven't fixed is Geralts uneven beard growth after the second stage of clean shaven. His mustache is pretty long while the rest of the facial hair is shadow looking. His second stage of facial hair should look equivalent to Witcher 2 Geralts. Mustache length needs to be on pair with the rest of his face.

But overall? At least the game is much more playable now but I still dearly hope that in the upcoming patch 4.02 we will see all these issues being fixed.

Whoever still hasn't yet, it helps tremendously to keep contacting cdproject technical support showing them these things and explaining to them the issues so that they have a higher chance fixing everything so that the game runs and looks as the way it should be.

Thank you for the patch and I look forward to seeing more improvement in the soon/near future raytracing mode on Xbox series x. 👍🏻
No its not how the game looks i noticed it too weird colour splashes in corners like purple/blue in kaer morhen entrance etc when you switch to performance mode its not there the same with purple spiderwebs in perf mode its alright (some trees in dense woods also weird colours in rt mode)
Basically this patch greatly improved fps in rt mode but with faulty GI which wasnt fixed and caused stuttering in performance mode where it wasnt before on series x - so now both modes are unplayable
[...]

Last edited by a moderator:
How to rollback this update?

In GOG Galaxy, choose "manage installation, Configurate...". Then untick "Automatically update to newest version". You'll then get options and it is possible to roll back to many previous versions, including 4.00 Hotfix 2.

I think the biggest problem is set properly graphic settings for next-gen on older PCs. I used for my 1070ti this video (GTX 1070 Ti | The Witcher 3 Next Gen Update | 1080P | Ultra+, Low | Ray Tracing | FSR 2), and started playing new game (this is my third run after NG+). So far game runs very smoothly (ultra+) with very few graphic glitches spotted.

Top Bottom