[PC][Crash]Crash reason: EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION (3221225477), Error reading location 0x00000068

+
[PC][Crash]Crash reason: EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION (3221225477), Error reading location 0x00000068

Please help me (and everyone else whos getting this crash)! My game always black-screen-crashes-to-desktop when its loading new places/cutscenes ingame.
I googled, but none of the usual fixes helps. Did anybody solve this?

For example: When i talk to the bloody baron and the white screen for the Ciri flashback appears, it crashes.

The error message I get is the one below:

Red Engine Crash Log

Build: Not Set [ Compiled May 23 2015 ]
Crash reason: EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION (3221225477), Error reading location 0x00000068

The whole error message is in the attached .txt file. I didnt want to spam the whole thing in here, because its huge :D

My PC specs are:

Windows 7
16GB RAM
Geforce 750Ti
Intel Core i7-4790

Thank you! :)

---------- Updated at 03:56 PM ----------

*gentle push*

Attachments

• witcher3.exe_crash_20150430_005301810.txt
    14.2 KB · Views: 663
Last edited:
I am also getting this crash. Except for me it doesn't matter what i do. It happens within 5 min of loading game.

Last edited:
I get crashes every so often too. It seems to only happen when I'm exiting the map/inventory screen back to the game. The screen goes black and I can still hear the music from the game though.

Windows 7
16GB ram
GTX970 Gaming 100ME
I5-3450

ITS NOT THE DRIVERS. ive tried to tell the cdpr tech support but i guess they think their game is perfectly coded?
its an engine problem; and its a hard one to fix so buckledown for a LONG WAIT because its gonna be a while, im sure 1.05 is just optimizations and stupid fixes.
they always forget about the people who cant even play the game.

ITS NOT THE DRIVERS. ive tried to tell the cdpr tech support but i guess they think their game is perfectly coded?
its an engine problem; and its a hard one to fix so buckledown for a LONG WAIT because its gonna be a while, im sure 1.05 is just optimizations and stupid fixes.
they always forget about the people who cant even play the game.
Yes, you're correct and I doubt that not a very detailed log file engine generates on crash will help them to fix this. Also I'm quite surprised they don't ask users to send them user-mode crash dumps.

Last edited:
Same error EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION (3221225477) with different quest. Broken engine. If support is too dumb to understand that then gg, cant finish game.

I would really like to have a statement from CDPR.
If it's just that they're aware of it.... but I couldn't find anything in "the whole internet"....

Is there any way to get their attention? :O

@spike4379: I'm also waiting for the patch, but for now I don't think they will fix this problem.... it's just too few people who have this. F*ck us right? T.T

Access Violation means there is a (or propably several) memory bug. Basicly the code tries to access some data in the memory, but it is´nt there, or the code is looking at the wrong place in memory. Anyway, these kind of bugs is generally very tricky to pin down, because a lot of time they dont make the program crash at the same place twice (though sometimes they do). Sadly there is no "magic" solution for these kind of bugs, like updating the driver or killing background programs. The only real solution is to hunt down the memory bug(s) within the Witcher 3 code. My guess is that a lot of those frequently occuring crashes reported on this forum stems from these kind of memory bugs. The only real solution for this is another patch I´d say,

@mattswe: I really had wished for this kind of answer to come from CDPR. But you're getting a big "Thank You!" anyway. :)

I kinda thought it would come to hoping that the next (or the one after that....and further on) patch will solve this.
Just sitting and waiting now. :'D

Heres what cdpr said to me last week when i asked indepth about the problem.

Hello there,

3221225477 is a generic number of callstack, which is connected to the first line
Scaleform::Render::Matrix4x4<float>::SetIdentity()

and callstacks like this shows us that something is wrong with general graphics settings - nvidia control panel, GPU or other software that interferes with the game.

Alas, your callstacks are broken as their values are <Unknown File>(0) so it gives us only a hint, no specific info.

Have you tried running the game in clean boot with all graphic and postprocessing features OFF? We'll be able to check then if there's some software or certain setting that crashes the game.

Kind regards,

Marcin Kulikowski

Access Violation means there is a (or propably several) memory bug. Basicly the code tries to access some data in the memory, but it is´nt there, or the code is looking at the wrong place in memory. Anyway, these kind of bugs is generally very tricky to pin down, because a lot of time they dont make the program crash at the same place twice (though sometimes they do). Sadly there is no "magic" solution for these kind of bugs, like updating the driver or killing background programs. The only real solution is to hunt down the memory bug(s) within the Witcher 3 code. My guess is that a lot of those frequently occuring crashes reported on this forum stems from these kind of memory bugs. The only real solution for this is another patch I´d say,
Yes but if you have minidumps or other type of crash dumps it will be a lot simpler to understand what's causing bugs, because debugger will show you the exact location of the problem (provided, you have source code and symbol files loaded)

Jeez, seems like its happening in scripts, mostly in different quests and cutscenes, in same dialog options what make us stuck without ability to finish quest. Someone wrote that he turned oc off and it fixed the problem. I did the same with turning off turbo boost and nothing changed.

W3 on this Red engine feels weird, like totally unfinished, i had many bugs like changing signs, instead of name i had "1717171" under igni etc. As a hobby beta tester i notice more bugs than people who say "had no bugs for whole game, stop crying".

i almost feel like its a map issue because for me its always happening in, novigrad, in certain areas, like specifically on a map grid

Looks similar to the issues I was experiencing...

Long story short, try setting any BIOS CPU/RAM overclock back to standard "boost" setting. Lots of info in my thread here. I have not crashed once since.

Looks similar to the issues I was experiencing...

Long story short, try setting any BIOS CPU/RAM overclock back to standard "boost" setting. Lots of info in my thread here. I have not crashed once since.

Nothing overclocked here... just a stock i7-2600, gtx 980... I'm SO freaking sick and tired of crashing out several times a day in this game. I often buy games at release. Never have I crashed like this in 20+ years of gaming... ever.

I am still going to work on it but I feel like I wasted my money. On my specific system, I get a crash when going down stairs or talking to Yennefer, and I assume if I could find a way to skip those parts it would just freeze at another cut scene later on.

So yeah, I am biting the bullet and getting a whole new console just to play the game on. Maybe it will work eventually on my PC but PJSalt. I will play this "ploughing" game one way or the other.

Most of the weird crashes I have seen that are not related to video on these forums were fixed by 3rd party software removal, overclock, auto overclock or bios overclock setting change/removal.

---------- Updated at 08:09 PM ----------

Nothing overclocked here... just a stock i7-2600, gtx 980... I'm SO freaking sick and tired of crashing out several times a day in this game. I often buy games at release. Never have I crashed like this in 20+ years of gaming... ever.

Sounds like your settings are off as most of the video problems on the forums have been fixed by changing the video settings, new drivers or overclock, afterburner / precision type software settings being changed.

Top Bottom