[PC] Easier way to switch Signs using Gamepad (DS4)

+
[PC] Easier way to switch Signs using Gamepad (DS4)

I play this game on the PC with the PS4 controller (Dualshock 4). And I always found it tedious to switch to different signs using the radial menu. It's too slow and it breaks the fluidity of the combat. I know that you can switch to different signs using L2+left/right in combat to switch signs, but even that is not as efficient. I was just not bothering with switching to different signs, and just sticking with one of them.So, here are some more efficient methods of sign casting.

[1.06 or older]

Option 1 - Swipe Casting
So, after reading a few resources like reddit, a user there was using the following setup, and I decided to try it out. And I can tell you that it works amazingly.

The idea here is to switch Signs by using the swipes on the touchpad of the DualShock 4.
: Swipe Left - Yrden
: Swipe Up - Aard
: Swipe Right - Igni
: Swipe Down - Axii
: PS Button - Quen

I also added the following for convenience.
Touchpad right bottom corner press - Opens Map
Touchpad left bottom corner press - Quick Save

See the following images to replicate my setup. I am using DS4Windows 3rd party software. Make sure to select scancode when mapping controls, and if you're having issues, start the application as administrator. Hope this helps out a few people :)

Option 2: R2+Facebutton casting (This is the recommended option)
Thanks to user sundaypostman, I've now changed to using the R2 + face button for using Signs, which I believe is superior to using the swipe method, as these combos instantly cast the spell. (Note - Post 1.07 patch should not select scancode for sign casting macros)

My current setup is:
R2 + Triange = Igni
R2 + Circle = Axii
R2 + X = Quen
R2 + Square = Yrden
R2 + PSButton = Aard

Touchpad Click = Quick Save
Touchpad Right Touch = Map
Multitouch = Right Trigger (This was added to see detailed stats on character screen)

A 3rd party application called InputMapper was used for this.

[1.07 Patch Update]

The latest 1.07 patch messed up the macros for inputmapper. I've managed to get it working again. I list down how to backup the files, so if anything goes wrong, you can always go back.
Now that that is out of the way, let's get to the details.

R2+facebutton insta casting:

1. Go to (C:\Users\username\Documents\The Witcher 3) and backup your input.settings file to a different safe folder. Then, replace input.settings file in the folder mentioned with this new input.settings file - http://www.mediafire.com/download/dqicxh9ykbr47pn/input.settings

2. Go to (C:\GOG Games\The Witcher 3 Wild Hunt\bin\config\r4game\legacy\base) and rename "input_azerty.ini" to "input_azerty.ini_BAK", "input_qwerty.ini" to "input_qwerty.ini_BAK", and finally "input_qwertz.ini" to "input_qwertz.ini_BAK". Now place this linked file in this folder - http://www.mediafire.com/view/xpnn6u9n5b44ew6/input_qwerty.ini
(Note that if you use a qwertz or azerty keyboard, then you'll need qwertz or azerty file from 1.06, which I don't have.)

3. Place in the inputmapper profile folder (C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\InputMapper\Profiles) this profile http://www.mediafire.com/view/fs4dn3cy808a4qa/Witcher_3_(post_1-07).xml

Now, when you want to play, make sure to start inputmapper first, and then ensure that the "Exclusive Mode" tick box is ticked under settings. Use the above profile for inputmapper and start the game. Now, you should be able to use insta sign casts as below:

R2 + Triange = Igni
R2 + Circle = Axii
R2 + X = Quen
R2 + Square = Yrden
R2 + R1 = Aard

Left touchpad button press = Quick Save
Right touchpad button press = Map
Multitouch = Opens Quest menu
PSButton = R2 (This was added to see detailed stats on character screen)

Last edited:
Also as a small update, I unbounded the Multitouch and Top Touch on the touchpad, as that was accidentally causing me to waste bombs. Alternatively, you can bound them to do something else, like open inventory directly etc.

Is the combat better/easier with the Dualshock than KB + M?

I've never played with a keyboard, so I'm not the best person to answer this. But if you're comfortable with the KB+M, I don't think gamepad would be superior. Likewise, since I'm comfortable with the gamepad, I won't find the keyboard superior.

The problem I have with keyboard is movement is either all or nothing. You press forward and you go forward at full pace but can't finely control it like with an analogue stick. Sometimes I want to move through a small space at a certain speed, although there is a 'walk' button. Other than that it's nice to have lots of keys to bind everything to. I grew up playing consoles so am fine with a controller but i'm decent with KB + M too.

The problem I have with keyboard is movement is either all or nothing. You press forward and you go forward at full pace but can't finely control it like with an analogue stick. Sometimes I want to move through a small space at a certain speed, although there is a 'walk' button. Other than that it's nice to have lots of keys to bind everything to. I grew up playing consoles so am fine with a controller but i'm decent with KB + M too.

Give the controller a try then if you're already used to them. If you have a DS4 lying around, map the signs to swipes and then go nuts :D

This is really a great post. I'm trying to set this up myself but I'm new to using DS4. Maybe someone can guide me...I clicked on 'Use Touchpad Swipes for Controls'. I selected the 'PS:Guide' button in the window under the 'Controls' tab. When I go to bind the key, I first check mark 'Scan Code' but that's as far as I get. How do I make it bind or show up as 'D6?'

Any help would be appreciated.

This is really a great post. I'm trying to set this up myself but I'm new to using DS4. Maybe someone can guide me...I clicked on 'Use Touchpad Swipes for Controls'. I selected the 'PS:Guide' button in the window under the 'Controls' tab. When I go to bind the key, I first check mark 'Scan Code' but that's as far as I get. How do I make it bind or show up as 'D6?'

Any help would be appreciated.

D6 is the number 6 key on the keyboard, so select that. Basically, the default keys on the keyboard that selects signs are 3, 4, 5, 6, and 7. So, you have to map those keys to the swipes and the PS button.

D6 is the number 6 key on the keyboard, so select that. Basically, the default keys on the keyboard that selects signs are 3, 4, 5, 6, and 7. So, you have to map those keys to the swipes and the PS button.

LOL I feel stupid.Thank so much for the info and the DAMN quick response. :)

Edit:
All working! Thank you SO MUCH.

Last edited:
This is a copy of a message I sent in reply to Exentryk in another thread about how to use InputMapper (or DS4Windows) to use an R2+Facebutton method of automatically casting signs.
In addition to the four face buttons, pick a fifth button, like R1, for the fifth sign.

Unbind R2, any facebuttons that will be used, and your fifth button, R1 in this example. You must unbind them, otherwise an R2 + Triangle will try to do a heavy attack and macro at the same time when you press Triangle. You have to macro these buttons so they do their normal action only if R2 is not pressed.
Then make these macros.

4x: R2 + PS4Facebutton = SignKeyboard# > RT (R2+Triangle= Keyboard5 > RT)
4x: PS4Facebutton NOT R2 = XboxFacebutton (Triangle NOT R2 = Y)
R2 + R1 = SignKeyboard# > RT
R1 NOT R2 = RB

To do a NOT in InputMapper, you click the button twice. It will be highlighted red. I'm not sure about DS4Windows.
Remember to use Scan Code for keyboard buttons.
This should allow you to hold any combo for the secondary cast version, but you have to find a fifth button like R1 to use. The bad thing is that R2 by itself will no longer do anything, which seems like a waste. It would be possible to bind something to it, but you would have to use the Wait for Release command before the action, and it will automatically go off every time you get done casting a spell using these combos.

Thanks to sundaypostman, I've now changed to using the R2 + face button for using Signs, which I believe is superior to using the swipe method, as these combos instantly cast the spell.

My current setup is:
R2 + Triange = Igni
R2 + Circle = Axii
R2 + X = Quen
R2 + Square = Yrden
R2 + PSButton = Aard

Touchpad Click = Quick Save
Touchpad Right Touch = Map
Multitouch = RT (This was added to see detailed stats on character screen)

InputMapper was used. Game is perfectly set up now.

Last edited:
Hm nice one but before I set this up myself: Can you still use the alternate Signs with the R2+Facebutton method?

this is so cheat man!!it is so much easier this way for fight.good job well done thanks!!:victory:

What is SC in the macro thing? I'm having trouble finding it.

edit: never mind, it's the "use scancode" check box at the bottom.

Last edited:
I copied the profile above, tripled checked each macro.

In game the bindings work but they all only fire whatever sign I have selected via the scroll wheel.

For instance I have Igni selected atm, so all the macros fire Igni. They won't select their individual signs.

Any idea what could be causing this?

@Exentryk This seems like a great idea. However I'm making the macros in input mapper (1.5.31) how do i get SignKeyboard? When i press 5 on the keyboard is says KB not SC.

nm answered above

Last edited:
I used DS4Windows. This is how i did it:
View attachment 15389

Igni, yrden and aard work fine. Even igni alternate mode.
Axii and quen cast the sign previously selected and then switch to the right one. I don't how to fix this.

Attachments

• 8Ie6Pq3.jpg
    8Ie6Pq3.jpg
    129 KB · Views: 243
Hey guys, I found an easy way to cast signs on PC too. Here's how I did it.
hWhy in the unholy name of hell would anyone play the witcher games with a gamepad...jesus jumping christ on a pogo stick you're not even bound by console nonsense.

Top Bottom