[PC] Easier way to switch Signs using Gamepad (DS4)

+
Thank you but i want to stick with ds4windows.

I had scan code box checked.
I tried your method and it's more reliable than mine. But alternate mode doesn't work. So i made some changes.

Note: macro is just press/release numerical key. Cast is R2+button = toggle Q.
It seems to work perfectly now.
Does this allow you to use the alternate sign modes as well? (Holding the cast button down) every tiem i try top make a macro for casting magic i can get it to switch to it and cast it but i cant use the alternate modes.

this is what i did : http://i.imgur.com/BHNu8Aes.jpg

@Exentryk, why did you put the "Wait for Release" command on the regular Triangle, Square, Circle, and Cross button presses (i.e. A "Wait for Release" A)? I tried that, but it wouldn't let me run unless I kept pumping Cross/A. So, I removed the "Waiting for Release" command and the second A, and now it works as expected. I'm just wondering if I may run into issues later for some reason you are aware of. :) Thanks so much for posting this!

P.S. It would be great for others if you could host your Profile files somewhere and link to them in your OP. I would have loved to have just downloaded the profile and tinkered with it.

@Exentryk, why did you put the "Wait for Release" command on the regular Triangle, Square, Circle, and Cross button presses (i.e. A "Wait for Release" A)? I tried that, but it wouldn't let me run unless I kept pumping Cross/A. So, I removed the "Waiting for Release" command and the second A, and now it works as expected. I'm just wondering if I may run into issues later for some reason you are aware of. :) Thanks so much for posting this!

P.S. It would be great for others if you could host your Profile files somewhere and link to them in your OP. I would have loved to have just downloaded the profile and tinkered with it.

I think it interfered with alternate signs, but I can't recall now lol. So if it is working fine, then go for it. You can always change it later.

And I'll look into uploading the profile, if I can figure out how to do it lol.

Alright, here's what I've got at this point, after a couple hours of tooling around.

Basically, I have the signs mapped to Triangle, Square, Cross, and Circle - just like in the OP. However, Instead of using Right Trigger + PS Button for Axii, I mapped that to Right Trigger + Left Trigger.

Then, I mapped PS Button to Quick Save. Right Touch Click to Map and Left Touch Click to Inventory (I made it require the click in Input Mapper instead of just doing touch, as I found I sometimes end up barely touching the pad when trying to hit Start and/or Back).

Also, even though it's not related to InputMapper or DS4Windows, I changed a few lines in input.settings so that Right Stick Click pulls up my Journal - instead of just trying to change the objective, as I never found the latter very helpful.

Here's my InputMapper Profile, if anyone wants it.
View attachment 18674

Please keep this thread going with any other improvements people think of! I'd love to know if there are even better ways to do things I'm trying to do. :)

Attachments

• witcher3inputmappermacros.PNG
    witcher3inputmappermacros.PNG
    43.6 KB · Views: 81
  • Witcher3.zip
    1.2 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:
Basically, I have the signs mapped to Triangle, Square, Cross, and Circle - just like in the OP. However, Instead of using Right Trigger + PS Button for Axii, I mapped that to Right Trigger + Left Trigger.

Then, I mapped PS Button to Quick Save. Right Touch Click to Map and Left Touch Click to Inventory (I made it require the click in Input Mapper instead of just doing touch, as I found I sometimes end up barely touching the pad when trying to hit Start and/or Back).

Also, even though it's not related to InputMapper or DS4Windows, I changed a few lines in input.settings so that Right Stick Click pulls up my Journal - instead of just trying to change the objective, as I never found the latter very helpful.

Some good ideas there, man. Thanks for posting. I changed my set up from that R2+PSbutton spell to R2+R1 spell a while back, but didn't get around to updating this thread. Having R2+L2 in the mix meant I accidentally cast the L2 spell sometimes when I was trying to get out of a block into casting another sign. Don't have those issues with R1.
My current PS button is used for R2 (because I like to check the stats page often). My quests page is set to multi touch.

Anyway, I like that button press idea for the map, as I too sometimes accidentally open it.

Last edited:
I play this game on the PC with the PS4 controller (Dualshock 4). And I always found it tedious to switch to different signs using the radial menu. It's too slow and it breaks the fluidity of the combat. I know that you can switch to different signs using L2+left/right in combat to switch signs, but even that is not as efficient. I was just not bothering with switching to different signs, and just sticking with one of them.
So, after reading a few resources like reddit, a user there was using the following setup, and I decided to try it out. And I can tell you that it works amazingly.

The idea here is to switch Signs by using the swipes on the touchpad of the DualShock 4.
: Swipe Left - Yrden
: Swipe Up - Aard
: Swipe Right - Igni
: Swipe Down - Axii
: PS Button - Quen

I also added the following for convenience.
Touchpad right bottom corner press - Opens Map
Touchpad left bottom corner press - Quick Save

See the following images to replicate my setup. I am using DS4Windows 3rd party software. Make sure to select scancode when mapping controls, and if you're having issues, start the application as administrator. Hope this helps out a few people :)

UPDATE:

Thanks to sundaypostman, I've now changed to using the R2 + face button for using Signs, which I believe is superior to using the swipe method, as these combos instantly cast the spell.

My current setup is:
R2 + Triange = Igni
R2 + Circle = Axii
R2 + X = Quen
R2 + Square = Yrden
R2 + PSButton = Aard

Touchpad Click = Quick Save
Touchpad Right Touch = Map
Multitouch = Right Trigger (This was added to see detailed stats on character screen)

A 3rd party application called InputMapper was used for this.

Geezus... This looks like, so-much work...

Good damn thing I bought my Razor-Naga-Epic 3-4 years ago =)

Sign- or Weapon switching on the fly w/ precision for any PC game, a breeze, - A must-have for PC-Gamer purist IMO...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826153065

Sadly, its pretty OVER-PRICED on newegg now 180+?!?!.

I only payed $111 for this in 2012.. wth?!? Lol

Attachments

• jaga.jpg
    jaga.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 109
Inputmapper setups still work in 1.07. Make sure you have exclusive mode ticked in settings, and that your sign casting macros do NOT use scancode (Before 1.07, scancode needed to be ticked).

EDIT - Actually, it works for a little while and then start behaving weirdly, with same sign casts from different buttons, etc. If someone knows a fix, please share.

Last edited:
Okay, dunno if this might help you with your issues, but is there something similar to the "Hide mode" of the DS4Windows Tool in Input Wrapper as well?
The reason I'm asking is that after installing Patch 1.07 last night I also had problems with DS4Windows where pressing the dpad keys would actually be registered twice every single time and the lightbar turning randomly on, even though I had it switched off/to black color.
So again, to fix my issue, I simply chose the "Hide DS4Windows" in the settings menu.

Source: http://ds4windows.com/ #howto
(Remove space before '#' as I am not yet allowed to post links or images, even though I could post images fine a few weeks ago...weird)

Just figured, there might be a similar function in InputWrapper or this could get you onto the right track for fixing any remaining issues. Hope this helps.

Attachments

• DS4Windows.png
    DS4Windows.png
    13.5 KB · Views: 140
Yes, I am already using that "hide DS4" function in Inputmapper, which is called Exclusive mode. The game does let Input mapper macros work, but for some reason, they stop working correctly after about 30 secs.

I might just go back to 1.06 if there isn't a fix for this.

Sorry for the double post, but I've got the instacasting working again with inputmapper. First post has been updated with the details.

#SayNoToRadialMenu

Is there a way to make the instant casting work again using only DS4Windows? That's what I was using before and was quite happy with it... until now T_T

Hey, Exentryk, thanks a lot for putting this together for all of us. This control scheme has changed my life. I'm getting an issue since patch 1.07 where when I'm trying to cast a new sign, it often casts the sign currently selected THEN switches to the new sign. For example, if I currently have Igni selected but want to cast Aard, it would cast igni first then switch to Aard. is there any fix you know of for this?

Hey, Exentryk, thanks a lot for putting this together for all of us. This control scheme has changed my life. I'm getting an issue since patch 1.07 where when I'm trying to cast a new sign, it often casts the sign currently selected THEN switches to the new sign. For example, if I currently have Igni selected but want to cast Aard, it would cast igni first then switch to Aard. is there any fix you know of for this?

Did you try the new 1.07 fix mentioned in the OP?

Yeah, I did.

EDIT: Ok, I set the macro for the RT trigger to have a 0.1 second delay behind the switch sign key. That seems to be working for now.

Last edited:
Top Bottom