PC HUD issue in combat - and other HUD customizability wishlist

+
PC HUD issue in combat - and other HUD customizability wishlist

First of all, the game looks great, and is very fun from what I've played so far.

I am playing with the most environmentally immersive layout I can, disabling all visible HUD elements while exploring, conversing, and general role-playing. That also means that I'm playing with the Witcher medallian / status bar turned off - and when exploring it's good that it's off, but when entering combat it doesn't dynamically turn on, which is what myself and others were hoping for. It had been said on the forums that this was possible (though not by CDPR staff), so I'm wondering if this is a bug, or have I missed a setting somewhere, or is there simply no support for a dynamic HUD that enables certain elements when entering combat? If it's not a bug, the result is that the player has to manually go into the settings menu and enable the health meter every time Geralt enters combat, and then go into the settings menu again and disable it every time Geralt finishes combat. It's very pain-staking and challenging of the gaming experience.

I also would find it convenient if the additional equipped items display could be made to dynamically turn on during combat, as well.

Also, I've set the enemy health bars to being turned off - yet the game still displays attack damage whenever an attack is made against an opponent. I would like to turn off attack damage numbers as well as the opponent health bar.

Also, regarding the minimap, turning on or off the minimap also turns on or off the time of day display. I see to reason to have the time of day display on at any time in the game, and wish that I could enable the minimap without seeing the time of day being displayed. If possible, I also wish that I could reduce the size and scale of the minimap by 50%.

And one more thing: I'm playing Witcher 3 using a 16:10 ratio monitor, at 1920x1200. For the most part, Witcher 3 supports 16:10 resolution - except for when resizing the HUD. The HUD resizing only recognizes 16:9 dimensions, so currently it can't be expanded to make full use of a 16:10 monitor's vertical screen height.

I would really appreciate it if these things could be considered by CDPR for adjustment in Witcher 3, so that the most immersive experience possible can be had. Thanks for taking the time to read this.

---------- Updated at 03:22 AM ----------

An ideal feature regarding the HUD would be to have a quick-press key that temporarily turns on all HUD elements for quick reference - and then the disabled HUD elements disappear once again when the key is stopped being pressed.

If I could get a quick view of all HUD elements while pressing 'C' or something on my keyboard, I would disable everything from normal view.

---------- Updated at 06:29 AM ----------

It seems that there is indeed a bug with the Witcher medallion / health bar not dynamically disappearing and reappearing. With the medallion set to On, it has suddenly started to fade and disappear while walking around, and it's mostly staying off, but it keeps reappearing at odd times, sometimes when starting to walk, or run, or get on my horse, or at any time inbetween, it seems.

the bar disappears when your stamina+hp are full. reappears when you sprint/jump (stamina use), signs, combat, etc.

it scared me for a bit too.

I am playing with the most environmentally immersive layout I can, disabling all visible HUD elements while exploring,
Same here. I'm a Skyrim modding veteran and I really put weight deep immersion.
It had been said on the forums that this was possibl
Since lousy modders did that in Skyrim (rel 2011) I'm sure this is possible on TW3. Hope CD Projekt gives us like a patch or something. Maybe some Extended version? ;)
If I could get a quick view of all HUD elements while pressing 'C' or something on my keyboard, I would disable everything from normal view.
I'm affraid features like this won't be released, since they are hard to adapt on consoles.
I really love CDP, but no one can say they didnt focussed on consoles this time.

Was also hoping for some extra UI options - customization for the PC version. It's really a shame such a great game gets parts like this dumbed down because of console integration. I've been trying to find a way to keep the hp/sign bar and the potion slots from disappearing all day. I gave up..

Glad im not the only one gaming on a 16:10 monitor, being able to push ui elements up into the corners would be great, and I also agree about having an option to make the minimap smaller.

Nice idea too to have all elements hidden until a predetermined key is pressed. Maximum emersion.

the bar disappears when your stamina+hp are full. reappears when you sprint/jump (stamina use), signs, combat, etc.

it scared me for a bit too.

I can see it now. But most of the time my health is at less than full, because I don't heal myself after every battle, but only when I think I'll need the extra health - so the bar ends up staying visible for most of the time while I'm playing. And I also switch between walking and jogging or running continuously while playing, so the health bar keeps appearing and disappearing like something is short-circuited with the HUD.

A quick-press key for the HUD is what's best - with select elements (like the health bar) staying on only for combat. That way I can leave everything off, and glance at everything for a brief moment only as needed.

Glad im not the only one gaming on a 16:10 monitor, being able to push ui elements up into the corners would be great, and I also agree about having an option to make the minimap smaller.

More PC gamers should buy 16:10 monitors to push the market towards once again providing them as the standard. 16:9 only came to PCs out of convenience for the manufacturers, who already made 16:9 screens for televisions - but the difference between experience is huge between 16:9 and 16:10, and with 16:9 it feels like half of my periphery is seeing the wall behind my monitor, rather than the screen. 16:9 doesn't serve the real dimensions of the human periphery at close range.

Last edited:
Has OP or anyone else found a way to disable those floating damage numbers and/or NPC names by any chance?

Top Bottom