PC Surround Sound Not Working over SPDIF

+
PC Surround Sound Not Working over SPDIF

It seems the game only detect SPDIF audio as "Stereo". Because my receiver says its receiving stereo. The game also output nothing to center and rear speakers.

have tried to disable all audio devices except SPDIF.

---------- Post merged on 20-05-2015 at 07:14 AM ----------

the audio is realtek HD. 5.1ch works fine on other games and movies.

It is not the game but your soundcard, you always get stereo output on SPdif.
Only if you have a soundcard with "DTS Live" it auto encodes to 5.1, otherwise it's only stereo.

With movies it is diffrerent because they are always encoded in DTS 5.1 or DD5.1
If you dont like stereo, switch your receiver to "Dolby pro logic II movie mode" , it should expand to "virtual" 5.1

Is this issue being worked on?

I have the same issue. Asus XONAR U7 soundcard with Dolby Digital Live. It plays 5.1 surround from movies and other games because for me because the sound card encodes to Dolby before sending it out. However, the Witcher 3 only plays in stereo over SPDIF optical. FYI, 5.1 surround sound works seamlessly over HDMI for me through a GTX970 Nvidia card, but due to my system issues, (AVR only supports 1920x1080, not my monitor's native resolution) I only ran it that way briefly as a test - I have to choose stereo sound and good graphics vs 5.1 surround sound and fuzzy graphics. :(

My Googlefu can't find anyone working on this issue and I'd appreciate a DEV response.

Last edited:
Hey @Kyzug, sorry for your issue.
I was facing a similar problem with my Asus Xonar DSX. Maybe my solution I wrote in this post: http://forums.cdprojektred.com/thre...it-surround)?p=1727339&viewfull=1#post1727339
can help you to get 5.1 audio working over SPDIF. Really hope that gets your issue solved!

Thanks, but that wasn't my issue. As I said, it works in 5.1 for everything else, just not this game.

---------- Updated at 04:04 PM ----------

I found a fix over on Reddit. I saw it last week, but it involved replacing Windows DLLs, so I avoided it. Tried it this morning out of desperation and it worked!

http://www.reddit.com/r/witcher/comments/36h29c/surround_sound_51/

Top Bottom