Playing other games

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Finished Metal Gear Rising Revengeance. Hard to believe that a game that short could cost so much, at least the difficulty and constant restarts make it longer. Still its my favourite game now, never before I experienced so much joy slashing someone and those fighting animations look gorgeous. Loved Raiden and his voice actor, favourite character right now too. Forgot to mention developer probably hates analog sticks, cause after mashing them they don't work so good and I'm not he only one who broke them

My favourite boss in this game. Looks easy but trust me its not
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHRxP4LLb1A[/media]

KnightofPhoenix said:
I strongly disagree with you there. StarCraft 1 may not have had a great story, but it had a great plot. SC2's plot does not make much sense as it seems they were more interested in shoving as many missions as possible (which from a gameplay perspective are done extremely well).

But it goes beyond that. I mean even a simple look at dialogue can show a huge difference. From Zeratul's monologue in SC1, or Mengsks' speech, to the childish and one-dimensional dialogue of SC2. I mean "some things are worth fighting for" really? I mean you already hit every clich in the book (geeky scientist, brutish merc, jamaican voodooist...etc).

It's also the huge OOCs they are pulling off. Regardless of what one thinks of Mengsk in SC1, he'd been turned into a joke in SC2. We are talking about a man who even when defeated by Kerrigan kept his composure, and now he freaks out in a press conference that he could have easily dealt with?

Finally Kerrigan. If one was paying attention, she was not a one-dimensional villain in SC1 and Brood War (the Overmind was). She was in fact multi-dimensional and she grew as a character, not to mention being awesome as opposed to her incompetent and mostly passive self in SC2. Now I'm afraid they are going to reduce her whole character to REVENGE, when she didn't care about it before.

And this is not to mention aggravating stupidities like Tassadar ADMIRING the Overmind as some sort of noble creature for resisting the Dark Voice WHEN IT HAD THE SAME OBJECTIVE ANYWAYS. To create the perfect hybrid and wipe the Protoss out.

Well, I guess you could call SC2 a parody of the sci-fi genre. It certainly had many comical elements and used several clichés.

guipit said:
Anyone who played this is it worth full price?
I've had mine for ages, haven't played it yet. But I'm here to tell you it's discounted on Steam pretty frequently, if you can wait a bit I'm sure you'll be able to get it for 5 euros or less.

guipit said:
Finished Metal Gear Rising Revengeance.
I need to live viciously through you now T_T How's the story compared to other MGS games? Are there any tie-ins? Is it straightforward hack'n'slash or were there any ~clever mechanics like Psycho Mantis, Sorrow's River etc?

"Let's dance!" I UNDERSTOOD THAT REFERENCE. Is Samuel related to Vamp?

lacking games I want to play atm :( even games I want to replay ... having a little bit of fun with http://www.kingdomofloathing.com/ though :)

I played a bit of Empire Total War, and the game has poorly implemented probability mechanics- I lost a duel I had a 60 percent chance of winning 6 times in a row. The game pretty much determines at the beginning of a turn how you will fare in various situations, so if you lose something the first time you're better off giving it up as a bad job and moving on to something else.

Monotoy: time to buy a new game? Green man gaming is having a bunch of sales.

monotoy said:
lacking games I want to play atm :(/> even games I want to replay ... having a little bit of fun with http://www.kingdomofloathing.com/ though :)/>

When in doubt:

The Witcher 1
Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn
Planescape: Torment
Fallout 1 & 2
Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magick Obscura

If you feel so inclined: Playing Classic RPG's

It's mind boggling how rushed DA2 feels. Everything, top to bottom, is half-assed. They couldn't even bother writing interesting log notes for quests.

Dona said:
I need to live viciously through you now T_T How's the story compared to other MGS games? Are there any tie-ins? Is it straightforward hack'n'slash or were there any ~clever mechanics like Psycho Mantis, Sorrow's River etc?

"Let's dance!" I UNDERSTOOD THAT REFERENCE. Is Samuel related to Vamp?

For me the story is just as good as in previous Metal Gear games but very short and and for new players some things left unexplained.The story continues from previous games so if you haven't played them hard to understand the beggining. Really liked how Raiden from hate to certain antagonists, shows somewhat of respect for them later and sees their points. The problem is if you try to make it last longer it will be max 7 hours

Clever mechanics Hm you can kill enemies silently using ninja speed and being unnoticed and there is blade mode which alows you to manually control your sword and land your hits where you want. Vid
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owKOjr3RS2I[/media]

Oh and no Vamp and Sam are not related. I would watch a whole walkthrough till Platinum games decides to make a PC port or not.

Thank you :) Yeah, I think I'll watch it on youtube. It's weird that it continues from MGS4 considering the ending... oh well. 7 hours is really short indeed.

And by 'clever' mechanic I meant something that requires some thinking out of the box that made previous MGS games stand out. Like in MGS1 when you have to use 2nd player controller to beat the mind-reader, or when he 'reads' your memory card and tells you he knows which games you like. But I guess it's not something a spin-off would have.

Still playing Ni No Kuni but have found myself to be increasingly distracted by the excellent Banner Saga: Factions. Also played a little Binary Domain, which was surprisingly fun.

slimgrin said:
It's mind boggling how rushed DA2 feels. Everything, top to bottom, is half-assed. They couldn't even bother writing interesting log notes for quests.

Wait till you get to act 3 it is much worse.

monotoy said:
played all of those to death :(/> except arcanum, I'll look into that, thanks!

I'm guessing you are one those who doesn't mind "dated" graphics. Then you might consider games like:

Betrayal at Krondor
Ultima VII
Ultima Underworld
Pool of Radiance

I have only played the last one, but these are all highly recommended.

and some newer ones:

Lionheart: Legacy of the Crusader
Temple of Elemental Evil
Icewind Dale I & II

Feel free to join our Playing Classic RPG's thread :)

Playing Skyrim again, with TONS of mods. Couldn't do that on the Xbox360.

PC gaming rules.

Maybe the Elder Scrolls modding community should release their own game instead of fixing what Bethesda does every few years.

I'm sad Bethesda officially took Skywind down.

For those who don't know what Skywind is, it's basically the same idea as Morroblivion, but in the Skyrim engine.

And for those who are unfamiliar with Morroblivion, it's a complete remake of Morrowind in the Oblivion engine.

So Skywind, it was supposed to be a complete remake and overhaul of the amazing game Morrowind. It would use the voice-acting and music of Morrowind, but the graphics, combat system, perk system and gameplay of (a modded) Skyrim. So far, it looked absolutely FANTASTIC. Then Bethesda came along, said that they didn't approve of Skywind, and took it down. >_<

A few screenshots of Skywind:

http://media.pcgamer.com/files/2012/09/Skywind-7.jpg

http://images.vg247.com/current//2012/09/Skywind-4-1152x648.jpg

Real good interview with Larian boss Sven (of Divinity fame,) honest, open and PR speak free. Spotted at Codex, thought we had a forum for Original Sin but i'm buggered if I could find it.

http://pcgmedia.com/interview-with-ceo-of-divinity-series-developer-larian-studios-swen-vincke/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom