Playing other games

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
chlong7 said:
@secondchildrenThe Q4 2011 estimate is the one to take seriously. It's an EA game, and if they're not hyping it already, it's not a summer release. Gamestop is being too optimistic with its placeholder date. The game looks like it might be worth the wait, though. Here's hoping.
Thank u very much.Indeed I've thoight the same when reading Gamestop's review. Unfortunatly the official site is poor about information as weel as the community forum, which seems quite deserted. But they're constantly updating facebook account and twitter. I hope there will be some useful news very soon. I was about to pre order the game last week, but since there are no sys req infos, not even a walkthough or gameplay video, I have decided to wait.Let's see how it will going on.I'm sure the game will be great! I totally trust McGee, he did such a wonderful masterpiece in 2001. :)I've just downloaded DA2 demo and I'm about to give it a try. I must say that I'm very skeptic especially after seeing the videos. I can't the poit to buy the game that is almost likely the prequel.

tried out the Demo for Bulletstorm and it not a bad game for mindless fun/killing for a FPSJust cant see myself paying full price for it will wait when it goes on sale or pick up a use copy and for those that want to play it on a PC I would recommend a game pad

People Can Fly helped develop Bulletstorm, didn't they? Their first game was Painkiller, which is also a fantastically fun and silly shooter. I'm still working on a playthrough.

chlong7 said:
People Can Fly helped develop Bulletstorm, didn't they? Their first game was Painkiller, which is also a fantastically fun and silly shooter. I'm still working on a playthrough.
One of the very few shooters I liked was Painkiller. Looks like Poles do know how to make games :)

Palimpsest said:
People Can Fly created Bulletstorm. Epic helped them;)As always sorry for my english.
Whoops! My bad. Thanks for the clarification. :)Also, why apologize for correct English? Looks good to me.

@ e-ahmet don't know if you know this but the PC version of AC brotherhood is finally coming out March 22nd Also unlike AC2 you don't need to be online all the time to play the learned there lesson from AC2And for you Doctor Who Fans out there BBC announce that there making a Free Doctor Who MMO 3 rings will be working on it

Latest games for me:Amnesia: The Dark Descent - A really well made horror game from Frictional Games. The designers have been doing this genre before with the Penumbra series and they have really thought it through and taken reasoned user opinions in to consideration. It's a top notch indie title.Din's Curse - A fantasy Job's tale. It's an Action RPG with a dynamically created world. 'The Dungeons Fight Back!!' Great fun as monster factions fight you, each other and destroy not only the town but their own dungeon.Divinity 2: Dragon Knight Saga - Retooled with a new engine, rebalanced to be a little less old school lethal and adding the expansion this is now a slam dunk RPG with lots of content and stories.Elemental: War of Magic - With latest beta patches it is an engaging fantasy strategy title with lots of depth./Dan

dahura said:
Latest games for me:Amnesia: The Dark Descent - A really well made horror game from Frictional Games. The designers have been doing this genre before with the Penumbra series and they have really thought it through and taken reasoned user opinions in to consideration. It's a top notch indie title.
I don't know the other games you listed, but goodness yes!!!!, Amnesia is a great indie title.

@SeekerI've forgotten about it thanks for reminding. I'm not sure I'll buy quickly since the release is when my exams pile up. I've currently gone back to Torchlight. I had finished the main campaign. Now doing some quests in the infinite dungeon and loot, loot and loot. This game is all about comparing loot and forging gems :D Maybe after a while I'll retire my character and play with another class. My current is Destroyer, tank-melee.

Never played Amnesia, though I like a lot those games about insanity, horror and all that stuff. How is it?Another good one is Undying by Clive Barker. Anyone knows it?

secondchildren said:
Never played Amnesia, though I like a lot those games about insanity, horror and all that stuff. How is it?Another good one is Undying by Clive Barker. Anyone knows it?
I screamed like a little girl. :( Its very scary.

secondchildren said:
Undying is another one I don't know, but Thief 3 is great. Amnesia is kind of like the asylum level in the sense that the whole atmosphere is very threatening and constantly invites you to stop progressing and shut off your pc. It's not action-oriented at all; mostly, it just keeps you tensed and waiting for the next encounter while you try to find your way through a locked castle. The sound is excellent, the first-person controls work well enough, and the graphics are a bit basic but have good art design and great lighting. I also liked the story--it's very much inspired by Lovecraft, and you quickly realize that there are no heroes. So it's great for Witcher fans who like worlds that are grey rather than black and white. You also have to like or at least tolerate horror, obviously.Here is Yahtzee's very positive (for him) review at The Escapist:http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/2092-Amnesia-The-Dark-Descent

I would love to try the Thief games but I hear they are incompatible with modern operating systems. Can anyone verify this?

My laptop runs Windows 7 Ultimate, and I can play Thief 3 just fine. I might have had to make a few minor tweaks to get it to setup properly, but if I did, it wasn't any more elaborate than what I had to do to install TW on the same machine. In theory there are ways to get at least Thief 2 running as well, but I haven't had any success yet. Thief 1 is more likely to run on an XP machine, but even that requires some work. The various fan communities have posted possible solutions--try Google for a good overview of what's available.It would be great if GoG got a Square Enix/Eidos deal that gives us the Thief series, but no such luck yet.

Played Undying back in the days. Great experience with sound, art and story. The HUD was a bit distracting in a horror/survival game but one was used to that GUI element due to the Doom series, Heretic and Hexen. Other horror games I have fond memories of are 'Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth' that ditched the HUD and replaced it with visual cues like blood flying through the air and audiovisual distortions representing mental status. Then the Penumbra series continued with a lean interface and added a decent physics engine and upping the sound design. Then there are the Nocturne Engine games. Nocturne had a great cinematic feel and was divided in to shorter chapters of paranormal investigation and extermination where The Stranger and the Spookhouse HQ made the US safe for citizens. Following that game there were three Blair Witch games investigating the story in earlier days. I'm still looking for a new copy of the original Nocturne since it is a gap in my horror game collection. Even older we have Phantasmagoria and Legacy. /Dan

Sanitarium was a nice game. Not scary but the psychological stuff was great :) Like I said before, I'm back to Torchlight doing some Shadow Vault quests after the main campaign ends. The day before yesterday, I came across a thing called Torchleech. Such a great tool. It lists mods and you can download and install them through it. There are so many useful and/or interesting mods increasing replay value. Also, it doesn't require an install and is 1,8 mb. It's free. So, anyone doing infinite dungeons or thinking of a replay be sure to check out Torchleech.

Downloaded some mods for DA, wish I had done it sooner. I'll keep picking away at it I suppose, now that I can skip the fade. :)Alien shooter is good mindless fun from GoG. Like a blend of Diablo style gameplay, but with guns. Lots of guns.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom