Playing other games

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been so scattered lately and haven't been able to focus on one game (which is unusual for me because I usually play games one at a time).

Right now I'm in the middle of L.A. Noire, Dark Souls, and a replay of Witcher 2 on Dark Mode.

secondchildren said:
Can't believe that Im' playing Plants vs Zombies. But it's damnly funny

I love Plants vs. Zombies :D I bought it as a present for my friend and now he's addicted to it too :p

secondchildren said:
Just say it's a good game. No need to pick flaws just to please the sanctimonious crowd. ;) About Amnesia, it's a cute little game, very oldschool,sort of reminds me of Clive Barker's Undying, Eternal Darkness (for Gamecube, a lost gem, gotta check if i still have it somewhere) and Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth. Damn, now you made me remember how great gaming used to be before the last generation of consoles took over

I played Amnesia for 20 minutes and it scared the crap out of me :p I will get back to it some day though. And about Eternal Darkness, I totally agree :D That was a very good game. The gameplay itself was a bit repetitive, but I love how the story was framed. That was definitely good enough to make me ignore playing the same areas a few times each :D I actually ended up playing the game three times in a row back-to-back to unlock the secret ending (although nowadays I would probably just look on Youtube :p).

secondchildren said:
Rule of Rose is a great game (very nice, luxurious manual too, as I remember). Though I liked Haunting Ground a lot better (kind of a similar theme, simitar console...). If you get passed the blatant fan service for the 12-14 year old male crowd, it's an awesome game.
Unlike Rule of Rose, which goes very much the arcade way as gameplay goes, HG's gameplay is rooted in the story: You alone being chased in the haunted house, no weapons, only a trusty dog to help you... Very neat.

I think I'll get Alan Wake as well. Love old-school horror movies and their themes.

I liked Rule of Rose. I originally bought it because of the dog and then the game ended up being a hell of a lot darker than I expected, but that was fine with me because I usually like darker stories anyway. I haven't played Haunting Ground yet though. People keep mentioning it whenever Rule of Rose comes up, so I'd probably like it, but I can't find it anywhere :p I'll probably get it eventually though.

secondchildren said:
I'll probably finish it in the summer because I want to know how Fiona's story ends.

Holy crap, that "music" was so annoying! But if you're considering finishing the game anyway to find out what happens, then I assume the story is good enough to make the game worth playing?

Oh nice. Alan Wake on PC sold exceptionally well.

http://forum.alanwake.com/showpost.php?p=141586&postcount=24

"I wanted to chime in here. We are very happy with the sales and hitting #1 on Steam at launch was nothing short of amazing. We recouped our development and marketing expenses during the first 48 hours. And yes, we're certainly very excited about PC."

So Alan Wake: American Nightmare and AW2 pretty much confirmed for PC I guess..?

Go Finland!

eskiMoe said:
Go Finland!
Hell yeah!

When I first heard in 2006 that Remedy made a pact with the devil partnered with Microsoft, I knew it's not going to end well, then came the not so surprising news that Microsoft will decide the fate of the PC version etc-etc. you all know the story. I almost completely lost faith in Remedy (though I'm sure they were not too happy about the situation either) and gave up on ever playing Alan Wake. Thank God they finally released it for PC, I'm at the beginning of episode five and it just becomes more and more awesome.

Btw, have you heard of this nice little easter egg? :D

eskiMoe said:
Holy crap, that "music" was so annoying! But if you're considering finishing the game anyway to find out what happens, then I assume the story is good enough to make the game worth playing?
I'm not sure, I'm just curious. :D

Before releasing the gameplay video they showed this trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHIRceS-blA

Must have cost them some money. Anyways the game doesn't seem to be my cup of tea, it looks like another Grand Theft Auto installation, or Saints Row, or something in that guise, but I'm pretty sure it will appeal to the widest possible teenage male console crowd, and it will sell millions. :)

I watched that trailer on yougamers site earlier. Yeah, that looks like a Jackie Chan action movie but I'm more interested in gameplay and like yayo said it will probably not be something out of the ordinary. For me the biggest difference could be whether it is first or third person.

I started playing Planescape Torment, thanks to Cory :) I'm loving it so far. Only played a couple of hours yet. Characters are interesting. I chatted with a scribe called Dhall for about 20 minutes I think. And there was a female Dustmen who is deaf and near blind and who cared for mindless zombies who do stuff for Dustmen. The writing is so good. Almost like in a novel I can form the people and their faces in my mind. It's pretty interesting.

e-ahmet said:
I watched that trailer on yougamers site earlier. Yeah, that looks like a Jackie Chan action movie but I'm more interested in gameplay and like yayo said it will probably not be something out of the ordinary. For me the biggest difference could be whether it is first or third person.

I started playing Planescape Torment, thanks to Cory :) I'm loving it so far. Only played a couple of hours yet. Characters are interesting. I chatted with a scribe called Dhall for about 20 minutes I think. And there was a female Dustmen who is deaf and near blind and who cared for mindless zombies who do stuff for Dustmen. The writing is so good. Almost like in a novel I can form the people and their faces in my mind. It's pretty interesting.

If you want some mods for Planescape, including hi-res textures - check this link: http://thunderpeel2001.blogspot.com/2009/01/planescape-torment-fully-modded.html

Haven't tried it yet personally.

gregski said:
If you want some mods for Planescape, including hi-res textures - check this link: http://thunderpeel2001.blogspot.com/2009/01/planescape-torment-fully-modded.html

Haven't tried it yet personally.
Thanks. I've already applied those. It looks good now on my monitor. Also there are some bug fix and extra mission mods in there.

Just completed AC: Revelations. Its quite good, but not as good as Brotherhood. It was also much shorter than I expected, I completed it in around 25 hours.

Pham said:
Just completed AC: Revelations. Its quite good, but not as good as Brotherhood. It was also much shorter than I expected, I completed it in around 25 hours.

Story or gameplay wise? Or was it b/c of something esle? Personally I found Brothehood to be the 'worst' in the series. It wasn't bad, but a bit lacking story wise.

Chewin3 said:
Story or gameplay wise? Or was it b/c of something esle? Personally I found Brothehood to be the 'worst' in the series. It wasn't bad, but a bit lacking story wise.

Then you will dislike Revelations even more. The story was pretty meh. The inclusion of Altair was nice but didn't improve the plot at all. Its just boring, no plot twists, no suspense. No reason to care.

Gameplay was the same just a bit faster because of the hookblade. Brotherhood was better because at least it added the Brotherhood (duh) and the assassin training. Revelations added Den Defense (which is bad) and not much else. The carriage missions are also atrocious.

It is also considerably shorter, with much less main and side missions. I really missed the missions which were pure platforming. Revelations was about 20-25 hours long and 5 or so of those hours was just AFK running around, and the last 3 Sequences are very short. Like very very short. Brotherhood took me at least 35-40 hours.

And I cant forget the 'effin Jannisaries. So annoying. You need 3 counters to kill them, and if you don't attack them they will shoot you for a third of you HP. And somehow their kicks deal about one fifth of your health. Oh and did I mention that every patrol later on has 2 Jannisaries? AND that they attack on sight?

Best think about the game? Graphics. And voice acting. And running around, killing anyone you want.

This post really sounds like I hate the game. I don't. I like it. I had a ton of fun playing. Its easily 8/10. But Brotherhood was just superior in almost every way.

e-ahmet said:
Oooh, I'm excited that you're playing it! I want to hear everything you think about it. Well, everything you have time for and feel like sharing. I don't mean to demand, just to encourage. :D

In my opinion, Planescape: Torment is second only to TW1 in its greatness. The story is better than TW1's, but the combat in P:T is so clunky that TW1 is more fun to play overall ... but not that much more. And you KNOW how much I adore TW1! So if P:T is just barely behind it...

I sent you some birthday wishes and three links in the GoG e-mail; did they pass all that along to you?

Pham said:
It is also considerably shorter, with much less main and side missions. I really missed the missions which were pure platforming. Revelations was about 20-25 hours long and 5 or so of those hours was just AFK running around, and the last 3 Sequences are very short. Like very very short. Brotherhood took me at least 35-40 hours.

And I cant forget the 'effin Jannisaries. So annoying. You need 3 counters to kill them, and if you don't attack them they will shoot you for a third of you HP. And somehow their kicks deal about one fifth of your health. Oh and did I mention that every patrol later on has 2 Jannisaries? AND that they attack on sight?

Best think about the game? Graphics. And voice acting. And running around, killing anyone you want.

This post really sounds like I hate the game. I don't. I like it. I had a ton of fun playing. Its easily 8/10. But Brotherhood was just superior in almost every way.
Umm..didn't you recruit assassins? I thought master assassin missions were interesting. They had their own stories. Also I found den system to be fun even though I got bored of it quickly. When you appoint a master assassin to a den Templars can't attack it anymore. Also sending assassins on missions were improved. I can't comment on how long it was but I thought it was long enough and the story was very good. Maybe more relaxed than Brotherhood but it was fine.

I agree about Janissaries. They killed 2 of my high level recruits in a fight. Bastards. I couldn't help because I saved myself close enough. Later though it was much easier as I got better in fighting and bombs, master assassins made it easy enough.

There are pure platforming missions in Revelations. What were they called? Ah.. the places where you collected Altair's memory things. Also inside of Hagia Sophia is a pure platforming sequence through which you have the chance to unlock a very cool and powerful armor.

Pham said:
Oooh, I'm excited that you're playing it! I want to hear everything you think about it. Well, everything you have time for and feel like sharing. I don't mean to demand, just to encourage. :D

In my opinion, Planescape: Torment is second only to TW1 in its greatness. The story is better than TW1's, but the combat in P:T is so clunky that TW1 is more fun to play overall ... but not that much more. And you KNOW how much I adore TW1! So if P:T is just barely behind it...

I sent you some birthday wishes and three links in the GoG e-mail; did they pass all that along to you?
Yes, I got those links and the message Cory. I couldn't really get into the combat just yet. I'll see and try to share my further impressions.

EDIT: Are you checking your e-mail?

e-ahmet said:
Stuff about Revelations

You still recruit your assassins but its not new anymore. And master assassin mission were fun, but it took forever to train them to level 15. By the end of the game I only got one (well, 2 but the game automatically trains one for you) assassin to level 15.

The mission where you search for the Masyaf keys were fine, but there was not enough of them. One was just running in a straight line, one was a stealth mission. In one there was supposed to be a "puzzle" but it ended just being pulling a lever and quickly running to another lever. Boooooooring.
I did not do the Hagia Sofia yet, so I might return and run through that.
Maybe I just played too much AC and need a break.

I also got KoA: Reckoning from my friend and first impression have been underwhelming.
Graphics.... I hate the art style. Voice acting is pretty meh right now, camera is horrible, menus are clunky. Character creation is laughable. Combat is fun though, but I miss the ability to jump.
Right now its 6/10. I expect it to be a 7/10 once I am finished with the game. My hopes are not very high.

Pham said:
I also got KoA: Reckoning from my friend and first impression have been underwhelming.
Graphics.... I hate the art style. Voice acting is pretty meh right now, camera is horrible, menus are clunky. Character creation is laughable. Combat is fun though, but I miss the ability to jump.
Right now its 6/10. I expect it to be a 7/10 once I am finished with the game. My hopes are not very high.
I heard one reviewer say that "you can't out-Skyrim Skyrim, but maybe you can out-Fable Fable." Does it do a decent job with that (relatively) light-hearted, action-y kind of fun?

kyogen said:
I heard one reviewer say that "you can't out-Skyrim Skyrim, but maybe you can out-Fable Fable." Does it do a decent job with that (relatively) light-hearted, action-y kind of fun?

Its better than Fable. The graphics and art style are very similar, but the world is serious. Its not a light-hearted, kids RPG at all. And the combat system is really, really good. You have 3 weapon types for each class and you can switch between 2 weapons on the fly. It is definitely the strongest point of the game. If they would somehow add a decent storyline, normal quests and realistic graphics, it would be a monster of a RPG.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom