Playing other games

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
So I downloaded Blood Dragon earlier this morning, doing based on over the top reviews and needing something new to play in my Xbox for a change. Having hated Far Cry 1, and not playing the second or third, and had no idea really if I'd hate it or love it.

No regret and worth every damned cent.

Hated FC1?..blasphemy!I bought the Raiden package over at GoG and goddamn is it fun. Hard as hell, but there's more to it than just dodging bullets. Pretty innovative shooters for the time.

Csszr said:
So I downloaded Blood Dragon earlier this morning, doing based on over the top reviews and needing something new to play in my Xbox for a change. Having hated Far Cry 1, and not playing the second or third, and had no idea really if I'd hate it or love it.

No regret and worth every damned cent.

Far Cry games have only the title in common. Far Cry 2 has its share of problems, and may prove rather terrible for some, but Far Cry 3 is a little masterpiece. Though in different genres, and I did not play shooters besides Serious Sam series, I liked it way more then AC3. It was such a nice surprise of 2012, and turned me to a shooter genre. Better then FC3 Blood Dragon, but FC3BD is great, and yes, worth every damn cent. The best $15 game on xbox live.

Guest 2091327

Never been a FPS fan, but I recall playing Far Cry way, way back. It was difficult, but had beautiful scenery and graphics. Tough as nails though, so after ever so much DYING, I turned on God mode and went to town. That of course got boring pretty quickly, but I stopped dying every 3 steps. Can't recall if I finished it, but I do recall some horrible bastards flying at me from every direction while going on some insecure hanging bridges kind of environment.

But I digest :D What games would you chumps recommend from the current Ubisoft offer over at GOG? I'm thinking about Beyond Good and Evil, and also getting Settlers 2: 10 year edition again. Other than that I'm not sure, also because I have piled of unplayed games as it is. I promised myself not to become one of THOSE people, but looks like it's slowly going in that direction. Which may be a good thing, as there is about 1 in 1000 new games that even pique my interest.

Even though I don't like digital stuff I might check GOG for ubi stuff I don't have.

As for Beyond good or evil is probably one the best games ubisoft has made though I don't know will you like it or not. One thing that never changes is that ubi makes great animations

NWN2 update: tried recruiting the Ironfist dwarves and they sent me on a mission to recover a lost belt, that somehow fits both a Fire Giant AND a dwarf. It must be truly magical! The fire giants on the way up the mountain were a piece of cake, nothing at all like the ones outside Yaga Sura's lair in Throne of Bhaal. It happened there was a red dragon with whom they had a dispute and of course both sides wanted my help. The fun part is regardless of who you side with, the other will turn on you. Good. I wanted all their treasure. If I tried rationalizing it, I'd say destroy either the Fire Giants because they are chaotic evil and stole the dwarven relic and spare the dragon because it is a magical beast, OR destroy the dragon because it is chaotic evil and spare the giants because they are sentient, humanoid beings. Blah, I'm glad the game forced me to kill both. And the one awesome thing was that this is the first and only game I've ever played where you can actually get the entire fucking dragon treasure! Seriously! I got around 180,000 pieces of gold, plus all the magic items in the chests! Funnily enough I lost a couple of treasure chests to robbers during transportation because land security was low, but thankfully my greycloaks were properly trained and successfully defended the rest. Glad to see my Crossroads Keep investments were not in vain.

Too bad this game has so many other issues. Some parts are really good!

gregski said:
Definitely be patient with Chronicles of Riddick if it doesn't "click" from the start. It will grow on you and it will be worth it. I came from being a bit confused at the beginning to playing it until 3 AM and loving every minute of it.
Are you talking about The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay? I found this game disturbing in a good way. Even though I never had a chance to finish it. Last thing I remember is that my flashlight batteries died and there was some nasty stuff going on

Agbeth said:
Are you talking about The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay? I found this game disturbing in a good way. Even though I never had a chance to finish it. Last thing I remember is that my flashlight batteries died and there was some nasty stuff going on

Yes, actually I am talking about both Riddick games - Escape from Butcher Bay and Assault on Dark Athena. They are both really good, especially for people looking for something else in FPS genre than khaki-brown modern military shooters.

I've got to admit coming upon the red dragons treasure in those hills was a massive and pleasant surprise for me as well, so used to the few trinkets we get from other games dragons, but entering that valley and seeing all of that loot spread out before you was breathtaking. As you say, there are the bones of a good game in there, it's just buried underneath a lot of boring filler.

WHOA!!! That's awesome, the sort of stuff only found if your DM is cruel and unusual. What's this about guards and caravans? Fire giants and red dragons?! Wow! Sounds fun, though, sucks the whole game wasn't like that.

So what are you going to do you do with such a kingly sum?

Glaroug said:
WHOA!!! That's awesome, the sort of stuff only found if your DM is cruel and unusual. What's this about guards and caravans? Fire giants and red dragons?! Wow! Sounds fun, though, sucks the whole game wasn't like that.

So what are you going to do you do with such a kingly sum?

Already spent it :p

Built a mage tower and a monastery, and built the final layer of fortifications for the castle walls.

Guest 2091327

Funny you should mention that. I finally managed to start playing Far Cry 1 today, after heavily downgrading the driver to get rid of some very nasty blue-white texture problems. Quite fun so far, but I remember it got ridiculously difficult. Not an FPS fan so hope I can get through it without too much boredom and difficulty. Been fun so far at least.

I'm back with more NWN2 in case anyone's reading.

So I basically had to replay this segment where you go back to West Harbor to rebuild the Gith sword, because I noticed in a later save that my bag of holding was missing! Together with its contents worth well over 100,000 gp! I discovered a strange bug: if I started the ritual to rebuild the sword while the bag of holding was in my inventory, it would disappear together with the shards. I looked and all my shards were in my normal inventory, not a single one inside the bag. So I simply gave the bag of holding to a companion, and that solved it. I had to kill that one shadow reaver and the other one that kills Callum again. Oh well.

Also, am I the only one who dislikes Ammon Jerro? And not just his personality, but his looks and voice are kind of over the top in an laughable kind of way.

FC3 was loads of fun. You might also like Call of Juarez Bound in Blood if you like crazy, shooter action. Just a warning: COJ BiB is not optimized for Windows 8, so you'll get upside down cut scenes, lol.

Volsung said:
I'm back with more NWN2 in case anyone's reading.

So I basically had to replay this segment where you go back to West Harbor to rebuild the Gith sword, because I noticed in a later save that my bag of holding was missing! Together with its contents worth well over 100,000 gp! I discovered a strange bug: if I started the ritual to rebuild the sword while the bag of holding was in my inventory, it would disappear together with the shards. I looked and all my shards were in my normal inventory, not a single one inside the bag. So I simply gave the bag of holding to a companion, and that solved it. I had to kill that one shadow reaver and the other one that kills Callum again. Oh well.

Also, am I the only one who dislikes Ammon Jerro? And not just his personality, but his looks and voice are kind of over the top in an laughable kind of way.
For me most of the companions in NWN2 OC were kind of meh anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom