Please don't let the witcher series die

+
As long as they don't make a game with Ciri as protagonist, I'll stay interested. God what a boring character. She became annoying quickly after the reunion.

While I really like her character and am of the opposite opinion here, I have to agree not to do a game with Ciri. From a gameplay POV she is just too OP to play, and from a lore perspective it just wouldn't make sense to continue her story. It would neither do the books justice, not would it be very interesting for me. There is just too much they could mess up with that. And even if they did well, there will be a lot of people not liking it, some because they did not like Ciris character (in general or just in the games) and others because they don't like a game about her.

I dont think we will play as geralt but I do see geralt being a Vesemir type character for a future witcher.

That would actually be pretty awesome. And I agree on having a "make your own character" game. Not completely from scratch mind you, I definitely think there should be some pre-determined backstory in order to lay a good foundation for a solid story, but more creativity and freedom in the RPG and moral choices for said character would be awesome. Of course he (or she) has to be a Witcher, that is the one condition. But yeah, 5 or 6 years down the line it would be awesome if they started working on a Witcher spin-off without Geralt (or Ciri) being the main character(s).

-----------------

In general, I don't think making a Witcher game without Geralt would ruin the game or that the Witcher is not the same without Geralt. Sure he is a damn cool character and we all love him, but I think there is more to this universe and game series and franchise in general than just Geralt. It's the world that surrounds him, the people around him, the cultures and customs, the laws of the world, the atmosphere. Then again, maybe that's just the point of making a game without Geralt: That without him it's not the same, it's different. And something different but set into the same universe might be what the Witcher series needs a few years down the line.

And I'm all for going where CDPR is strongest. And that is a mix of free choice and character roleplay with a little bit of a set backstory and guidelines. In terms of Geralt I felt it was often a little bit too restrictive (not that it did bother me personally), because Geralts character is pretty pre-defined and has a lot of history with many people in the universe. The amnesia was a very good idea there, but even with that it was hard to be completely creative and free in terms of dialogue choices and combat and stuff. I think if we had a (mostly) blank slate character, that only has the base facts of being a Witcher of school X and that has a very loose definition of what his/her personality is like and what his/her morals are like, then we can get more of a roleplaying experience while still keeping it anchored in the same universe and within the profession of a witcher. Witchers are all different, I mean we know that. They all have their own quirks and personalities and morals and backstories. I like the idea of a new character, a Witcher. Along his/her journey they might meet quite a few known characters (known to US as the audience, probably only known by word of mouth by out character) but also quite a few unknown characters.

I would really love that.

Last edited:
Gotta move on and try new things so you don't become a one-trick pony. Just look what happened with Piranha Bhytes, they made the Gothic series, and ever since then they've kinda just flopped about. BaW let's Geralt and the franchise rest, there's plenty of content to scratch your itch if need be. Frankly that other RPG they're working on is probably their first original IP. After working on two creator owned IP's they probably want to create something wholly their own.

I loved W3 and I'll be sad to say goodbye, but I'm ready to move on. I just hope that if they return they don't go back on their promise to leave Geralt be. New protagonist, new location, new friends, and new enemies.

personally, i think if there will be a Witcher 4, it should be with a brand new character, and even a brand new century... let say 14th century, 100 years after stuff from Witcher 3. That would clean the slade for new stories, and give more artistic freedom to CDPR.. (besides, as per Season of Storms, Geralt is still on the path at that time, hunting those Idrs, so we could have him as a NPC character with some stories..)

Witcher 4 could be placed before witcher 1 if you read the books you should be familiar with many events that could take place and form world we know from witcher saga.
And best way to make witcher 3 live long happy life is to add better mod support.

I'm Sad It's Over

The Witcher 3 is superb. It is the best RPG in years, blowing past its competition in world-creation and character development/dialogue. And even a year after the main game is out, excellent content like Blood & Wine is out. And the ending was lovely, especially when Geralt looks into the camera and breaks the Fourth Wall, content with his vineyard in Corvo Bianco. But still... I would just keep buying expansion packs if CDProjektRed came out with a new expansion each year in a different part of the Witcher World. [Insert "Shut Up and Take My Money"]

No exploring the wild veldt of Zerrikania or the steppes of Hakland? No Nilfgaard, the City of Golden Towers? No delving the deeps of Mahakam? I would love to know that Geralt and Yen spent their older years tending a vineyard in the hills of Toussaint... but it would be all the better if there were stories of Geralt, famed vampire-slayer and landed nobleman/winemaker of Toussaint, who would occasionally disappear for months at a time to go on an adventure in some strange part of the world and return with exotic mementos. The Far South and Ofier? The Far North? So much room for new stories!

Dammit, I just want more Witcher expansion packs!

yep, i feel the same, can't and won't forget geralt, and his adventures, i'd love another expansion, but he devs want to end this series and focus on cyberpunk, an that's ok, there is nothing we can do, just being sad

yep, i feel the same, can't and won't forget geralt, and his adventures, i'd love another expansion, but he devs want to end this series and focus on cyberpunk, an that's ok, there is nothing we can do, just being sad

Your name makes me think you're rather happy with this turn of events. Lol

I am sad as well. I have little to no interest in the cyberpunk genre also so I dont feel any of "at least we have that to look forward to" vibe

Just such a great game engine and sooo much lore and history built in the witcher universe to draw from. It doesnt have to be about Geralt - shoot I would love some expansions that cover other characters from the series or even new ones....

According to the leaks in 2014 Witcher 4 was/has been planned for some time in the future. I can only imagine the sales numbers invigorated that idea further. No way does a company just drop a golden egg like this, even if its not geralts story and just other expansions it will continue at some point..

According to the leaks in 2014 Witcher 4 was/has been planned for some time in the future. I can only imagine the sales numbers invigorated that idea further. No way does a company just drop a golden egg like this, even if its not geralts story and just other expansions it will continue at some point..

I would generally prefer it to be Geralt's story. Even if it's King Conan-esque "coming out of retirement" stories in which he gets dragged off his vineyard with Yen and roped into a new adventure.

You're referring to the variable listed as "W4" correct? That's not referring to Witcher 4 it's referring to the Big 4 crime bosses or that's how it was explained to me.

Besides that would mean they've been straight up lying about them having no plans for any future Witcher content at the moment.

Im fine with Wither 3 being the last CPR game. What I hope for is sandbox MMORPG by CPR with graphics similar to Witcher 3 and focus on wars/politics.

Im fine with Wither 3 being the last CPR game. What I hope for is sandbox MMORPG by CPR with graphics similar to Witcher 3 and focus on wars/politics.

HELL NO!! MMO's kill any semblance of story. CDPR as masters of great single players and i prefer them to to stay that way. You have more than enough mmos around to satisfy your need.
Besides CDPR did say this is the end of Geralt's tale. We will get another witcher game not related to Geralt probably in the future, around 10 years or so. Next is Cyberpunk and a lot of us arew looking forward to it as that series and genre has not been done well i games. ITs about the style and the writing which is supposed to morally ambiguous. ATM only CDPR are able to write tales like that so bring on a proper Cyberpunk game.

Witcher 4 could be placed before witcher 1 if you read the books you should be familiar with many events that could take place and form world we know from witcher saga.

A prequel is not necessarily a good idea, it is rather limiting in how the story can be written, and there is already a known future in the existing games so having different endings would not make much sense for example. Maybe a prequel decades before even the first book with a young Geralt or Vesemir, but then it would not have most of the other characters anyway.

Please give us more expansions! Don't end this story yet! I never got to see Nilfgaard!

Toussaint is a duchy within the Nilfgaardian Empire, so in some sense you already did. :) But it has been stated many times that there are no plans to release further expansions.

I would generally prefer it to be Geralt's story. Even if it's King Conan-esque "coming out of retirement" stories in which he gets dragged off his vineyard with Yen and roped into a new adventure.

Not everyone's Geralt is with Yennefer, has the vineyard, or is even retired. It would be difficult to take into account all the possible endings of TW3, which is another reason why it is better to start a new story with different characters, as already planned.

It is definitely not their last game, until 2021 they will release Cyberpunk 2077 and another AAA RPG about which nothing is known yet. And even in this year, there are plans for something in "a previously not explored game format", we'll see what that is going to be.

For all we know Geralt could make his return in a future Witcher game to play as him, if the Conjuction of the Spheres happens again. Personally I don't see this being the end of Geralt's story. The world of Witcher is massive and there are many places in the world we still have yet to see.

Top Bottom