[POLL CONCLUDED] How do you like the new version of "Chippin' In" and why?

+

How do you like the new version of "Chippin' In" and why?

• I like the new 2019 version, because it fits my musical tastes better.

Votes: 3 5.3%
  • I like the new 2019 version, because it fits Silverhand and the world of Cyberpunk 2077 better.

Votes: 16 28.1%
  • I liked the 2018 version better, because that one fit my musical tastes better.

Votes: 14 24.6%
  • I liked the 2018 version better, because that one fits Silverhand and the world of CP77 better.

Votes: 15 26.3%
  • I've no strong opinions about this whatsoever. Could've played Beethoven's 5th for all I care.

Votes: 9 15.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
EDIT:

Poll's closed. Interesting!

57 voters total.
48 People have a stronger preference on the "Chippin' In" version used, 9 have no strong preference.

Of the people with a stronger preference:
60% prefer the old version.
40% prefer the new version.

Including those with no strong preference, it can be said that:
49% of people would at least not mind the new version.
67% of people would at least not mind the old version.

For those with a stronger preference:
65% have their preference because they prioritize suitability in the world of Cyberpunk 2077.
35% have their preference because they prioritize their own musical tastes.

Of the people who prioritize their preference over suitability in the world of CP77, the community is pretty much evenly split on whether the 2018 or 2019 version of "Chippin' In" is better.

Of the people who prioritize their preference on their own musical tastes, the old version is far more popular by 82% over 18% of these voters.

As said, I designed this experiment to prevent people from conflating their own musical tastes with what is suitable to Cyberpunk 2077. Had I given people AND/BUT questions, I fear that would've allowed bias or confusion to creep in and make results a lot more questionable. I stand by this decision because it has allowed us to discern at least one factor reliably: To see what is more important to the community - Musical Taste or Suitability.
CDPR has stated that they changed versions over suitability and with 65%, the community seems to agree that this is the most important aspect of the musical score. With the community being evenly split over the question of which version is more suitable, CDPR will do just as much harm as good as to the preferences of the community and both choices seem equally valid.

This of course ignores the fact that of the people with a stronger preference, 60% of people have a greater liking to the older version, compared to 40% of the new. However, if we include the voters with no strong reaction whatsoever as a buffer, it can be said that at least 49% of people wouldn't MIND the newer version.
And as to likability, this particular experimental design also prevents the poll from commenting on that. Within this experiment, I cannot be sure that people who voted for preferring the song over it's suitability, didn't do so ignoring their their own musical tastes or vice versa. For example: Someone who actually liked the 2018 version for their musical tastes, could still have voted for preferring the 2019 version for its suitability. The reverse is also possible, for people who who actually liked the 2019 version because it fit their musical tastes, but voted for the 2018 version over its suitability.
Personally I'd estimate that the latter would be rare, but as I cannot exclude the possibility without another experiment, this poll cannot accurately comment on that. While AND questions could have introduced bias, BUT questions perhaps, should have been included.

ORIGINAL:

Hello everyone,

I like exploring other people's perspectives on things to raise my own awareness of how this community feels. Maybe it even helps people see eye to eye, but that's a longshot on the internet of course.

"Chippin' In" is the subject of this thread, and I thought I'd start a poll to answer an query I had a little while back: What makes people like the differences between the 2018 and 2019 versions?

I for one like the older version better. Goes with my musical tastes.
However, others have commented that the new one goes with the world of Johnny Silverhand and CP77 better.
All these are very good points, but those appear to be the two sides of the debate, with little in between. I haven't much heard the opinion that people like the new version because it matches their musical tastes, or that people liked the old one because it fits the world better.

I've created this poll to see if that's correct, or if there's a more nuanced spectrum of opinion. I also know that people get a little rabid on the internet, fully throwing their weight in behind either loving or hating things with all their hearts, so I've designed it so you're going to have to make a choice between voting for what fits the game, and what fits your tastes. Which is the more important? If I allow an option to hate/love the versions for both your personal taste AND how it fits the world, people might be tempted to conflate the two.

/explanation of experimental set-up

For easy reference, this is what we're discussing: both the 2018 version in the first half, and the 2019 version in the second half:

Also pertinent information, is that the guy who created and sings that song, is a "rocker boy" called Johnny Silverhand. In the universe of 2077, that's someone who uses the effects of a concert performance - the drone of the music, the lyrics, the lightning, pyrotechnics and maybe the partygoers slipping themselves a few psychedelic drugs - to inspire action if they so choose, turning their fanbase into a revolution. When we meet Silverhand in the game, his intent is to burn down the city.

Last edited:
If it were possible I’d choose both variants that state 2018 version fits my musical tastes and the world of Cyberpunk 2077 better. When it played on the radio it just clicked with the atmosphere and the visuals.

Sild

Ex-moderator
For me it's pretty simple. The 2018 version, I'd listen while in my car, driving, while home doing some housework or just if I need something to give me a "boost" if you will. It's catchy, rithmic, I like it.

I can't say the same about the new version. That's not something I'd listen to.. normally. It's a bit out of my range. There's a certain.. aggressiveness, arrogance, it has a certain edgy, confrontational side to it that makes it unsuitable to the kind of environments and frames-of-mind in which I turn to music.

People saying the 2018 version fits better to Johnny Silverhand, honestly and no offence intended, don't know anything about him, what he represents and the world he performs in.

New one is more modern and fitting for the setting. Old one was straight outta the 80s, which in the case of music I'd rather not have.

When someone says 80s I hear hair metal. So basically these guys, Poison, Cinderella and the like. The 2018 “Chippin’ In” sounded like neither of them.

Attachments

• 6154905A-C2B9-409A-98CD-09647D2928AB.jpeg
    6154905A-C2B9-409A-98CD-09647D2928AB.jpeg
    86.1 KB · Views: 170
First version to me fits more with a dude that looks something like this:

But then again the second version gives me that Rage Against The Machine vibe and kinda fits more with someone who has the balls to storm Arasaka tower.

I don’t hear any resemblance to RATM in the 2019 version. If the band was generic then maybe. P.S. @Skirlasvoud, add [POLL] tag to the topic headline - maybe it’ll make it more visible then.

Last edited:
New one is more modern and fitting for the setting. Old one was straight outta the 80s, which in the case of music I'd rather not have.

Have to agree here, the 2018 version make me think more old rock from the 80's while the 2019 version sounds more modern heavy.

I think the 2019 version fits better with the game lore.
Post automatically merged:

When someone says 80s I hear hair metal. So basically these guys, Poison, Cinderella and the like. The 2018 “Chippin’ In” sounded like neither of them.

Was more to the 80's than the glam metal bands, these were just a sub genre of heavy metal bands. The 2018 version sounds a whole lot like hard rock/heavy metal you could hear in the 80's.

Last edited:
Was more to the 80's than the glam metal bands, these were just a sub genre of heavy metal bands. The 2018 version sounds a whole lot like hard rock/heavy metal you could hear in the 80's.

Care to elaborate on that? What bands/artists from the 80s does the 2018 version remind you of.
P.S. Hair-metal is not a sub-genre of heavy metal, it’s a derogatory term for cheesy pop-rock bands with dudes that looked like chicks due to all the makeup and perms.

People saying the 2018 version fits better to Johnny Silverhand, honestly and no offence intended, don't know anything about him, what he represents and the world he performs in.

As someone who has played Cyberpunk 2020 and read the books and has the core rule book and has read Never Fade Away several times over cause I've been bored I do take slight offense. To me, the 2018 version sits more with me for how I see Johnny's style from what I've read about him than the 2019 version. The 2019 sounds to close to what I hear nowadays from the current nu-metal scene while the 2018 version had a distinct sound to it that felt like it comes from Night City. But that's just me.

Now for my real issue, which is with trying to discuss these songs in general. On one hand, that's all of the 2018 version we're ever going to hear, and on the other hand, we're only given a piece of the chorus not a segment of the song like with the 2018 version for the 2019 version. I'd personally need to hear both songs in full to form a full opinion on which would be the better song.

Also as someone who came up through the 1980s, the 2018 Chippin' In doesn't really sound like anything from the 80s, where it glam, speed, death, heavy, blue, hip hop, pop or Michael Jackson.

Professor Darkly

P.S. Hair-metal is not a sub-genre of heavy metal, it’s a derogatory term for cheesy pop-rock bands with dudes that looked like chicks due to all the makeup and perms.
No, it was was not a derogatory term, it was the secondary name of the genre. Also, everyone lied as their first crush was the blonde chick in Poison.

I actually really like both but I think the newer one suits the game/lore/character better.

As someone who has played Cyberpunk 2020 and read the books and has the core rule book and has read Never Fade Away several times over cause I've been bored I do take slight offense. To me, the 2018 version sits more with me for how I see Johnny's style from what I've read about him than the 2019 version. The 2019 sounds to close to what I hear nowadays from the current nu-metal scene while the 2018 version had a distinct sound to it that felt like it comes from Night City. But that's just me.

Now for my real issue, which is with trying to discuss these songs in general. On one hand, that's all of the 2018 version we're ever going to hear, and on the other hand, we're only given a piece of the chorus not a segment of the song like with the 2018 version for the 2019 version. I'd personally need to hear both songs in full to form a full opinion on which would be the better song.

Also as someone who came up through the 1980s, the 2018 Chippin' In doesn't really sound like anything from the 80s, where it glam, speed, death, heavy, blue, hip hop, pop or Michael Jackson.

Professor Darkly

No, it was was not a derogatory term, it was the secondary name of the genre. Also, everyone lied as their first crush was the blonde chick in Poison.

Hehe yeah we liked some of the glam bands even though we wouldn't admit to anyone in our little gangs of hoodlums. I think hair metal started out as a kind of degoratory term for glam bands in the sense most of us would have rather say we listened to metallica, megadeth, slayer, black sabbath, iron maiden motor head etc etc rather than come out and say I dig motley crue, pioson etc etc.

I voted for the last option, not because I could care less, but because both were fine IMO. No preference really.

Latter wouldnt be bad for combat and first for something else. If I start nitpicking the first one is too lazy for my taste.

Last edited:
Care to elaborate on that? What bands/artists from the 80s does the 2018 version remind you of.

Welp the 80's is a long time ago for me but the 2018 version is far too early rock, the kind of rock I heard in old dingy bars or even on rock stations playing rock/heavy music. Also hair metal is a sub genre indeed of heavy metal. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glam_metal it will explain it better than I could or wish too.

Honestly I like both version but the second definitely feels more "punk" to me
One that pops to mind that sounds similar to me is:

Sounds a bit white snake to me as well. Frankly it sounds like much of the "generic" hard rock that played on the air back then though it's hard to judge from such a short sample.

The 2019 version sounds more rage against the machine, anthrax like to me, just seems to fit more in the premise of the game to me.

I dunno if they are completely dumping the 2018 version but if so it would be quite nice to have it as a bonus track or something like that in the OST for the game or maybe even as an easter egg where you can hear the old version playing somewhere in a run down rock bar or something right in game.

Last edited:
I loved the 2019 version because it just feels more alive, and has more intense energy.
2018 version: sounds nice but slower beat, it's okay.
2019 version: Brrr vrrr vrrr Im chippin innnnn!!!!! Brrr vrrr vrrr Im chippin innnnn!!!!!
I think 2019 version really fits the Cyberpunk 2077 feel very well. Also feels very "Keanu Reeves-ish" or Johnny Silverhand-ish.

I think it is very difficult to judge a song from a 20 second snippet. That said I would rather personally listen to refused than the type of song that was in the 2018 trailer personally. In fact them being in the trailer made me listen to them again and remember how good they were.

I don't think either really "sounded like the 80s". The 2018 one sounded really contemporary like it could have been released by the black keys. The 80s wasnt just punk and metal as far as rock music goes but that sort of blues revival song to me didnt really fit, like say a post punk joy divisionesque track would have. Refused used to sound exactly like an 80s hardcore band earlier in their career but have moved well beyond that sound by this point.

The lead singer from the refused (Dennis Lyxzen) kind of has this rockerboy style to him which is maybe why CDPR reached out to them. He was always a lot more stylish than his peers in the 90s and his look was pretty common in the late 00s showing that he had influence. Also his music is incredibly anti-capitalist/system. I got from the other thread that refused isn't for everyones tastes but i think the garage rock band he fronted the international (noise) conspiracy is probably more listenable for most people if they want to see an example of his sort of lyrics.

Here is a playful example

For me it's pretty simple. The 2018 version, I'd listen while in my car, driving, while home doing some housework or just if I need something to give me a "boost" if you will. It's catchy, rithmic, I like it.

I can't say the same about the new version. That's not something I'd listen to.. normally. It's a bit out of my range. There's a certain.. aggressiveness, arrogance, it has a certain edgy, confrontational side to it that makes it unsuitable to the kind of environments and frames-of-mind in which I turn to music.

Right there, end the thread right there heheh

Meh. I can see where the 2019 supporters are coming from, but for me 2018 really hit the nail on the head. To me it seems much more like a leader. That version gets me more pumped as it doesn't sound like a raving maniac but, a guy to listen to. Much more charisma in the performance. The 2019 one actually seems rather dull, and got a bit repetitive for me despite us only having a small clip of it.
I can't lie and say I'm huge into the scene or anything, and I'm really new to the setting, but, in my opinion the original gives off a rebellious nature, and the 2019 version seems more like a desperate attempt to grasp at your attention.

That's fair, and if the second version didn't exist, I would agree with that sentiment. I do, however, feel that the second version relays, or at least attempts to relay the kind of musical sound associated with rebellion and counter-culture. It's more of a statement than a melody than the first one ever was.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom