Poll: Who Would You Like to See as the Protagonist for "The Witcher 4"?

+

Poll: Who Would You Like to See as the Protagonist for The Witcher 4?

• Total voters
While I cannot imagine a witcher game without Geralt, I cannot imagine a Witcher with Geralt that sounds like this either.

The predicament of a Sequel to the third game is the main story. It is simply too messy. It simply cannot work. You either have Ciri being a witcher, being an empress or being presumably dead. Couple that with either Nilfgaard taking over the north with Temeria/Redania as an independent state or Radovid destroying his own kingdom. And - like you already mentioned - you have the romances of Geralt too.

The reason it worked in the previous two games was because after every ending there was some kind of total reset to the story. You sided with the Scoia'tael in the first game? Well too bad, they'll just get killed again and lose all the progress they made. Oh, you freed Vergen? Well Nilfgaard just fucked it up. The third game tried to tie all loose ends up and leave no opening (which it failed to do so). They'd have to rework the TW3 plot before they could do anything else. Only other option would be to move the story to Nilfgaard, Kovir, Ofieri or somewhere else. Far away from the previous plots. But this would lead to having a Witcher game with Geralt for the sake of having a Witcher game with Geralt.

Agreed.

And how exactly Withcher 2 was a total reset to anything? You just said yourself did not matter you sided with Scoia'tael or Roche IT DID NOT MATTER in Witcher 3, the ending was just as open. And sure it simply cannot work because THE ONE thing that really makes a game it is logical conclusions and putting events in chronological order, jeez!

Switching to a completely different character will no longer be The Witcher series it will be Gothic Arcania disaster all over again!

---------- Updated at 08:51 PM ----------

i have this very humble and simple idea for a game:

if Nilfgaard or Redania are in power: their expansion is waking up new and dengerous monsters in unknown territories, they need a witcher: Geralt, he can be retired a few years and then come back to activity, he is a wicher he has unlimited energy, Triss/Yen can help him to find information, they can come along, etc
if Ciri is empress, she will be worried about Geralt being at the frontline, if she is a witcher, she will kill some monsters too, maybe a few misions together, or rescuing her from monsters,
if Radovid is dead, a new dangerous man wants to take control of the kingdom
corruption and separatists rise in Nilfgaard, inner fights,
the surviving non humans, alchemists, mages, sorcerers, join the Scoia'tael, they grow in numbers and are a real threat, Geralt can help them, side with the civilized humans or stay neutral
if Geralt is single, (no Yen or Triss) hen can start a relationship with them or Shani
Geralt must find other witchers to face the monsters,
the corruption, the evil of mankind and hatred are waking up new and powerful monsters,, maybe a high vampire and some sorcerers are behind all this, ain't sure about the villain yet
a very basic idea :)

I actually really like that! But again anything involving Geralt and other beloved characters in TW4 I would buy and play any day.

Last edited:
It's amazing that after 30 years, people still want to see more Geralt.

Thank God C.D.P.R. doesn't always listen to its fans.

I've heard a lot of "Geralt is THE Witcher. He can't be replaced.". Oh...but, he was. The Geralt of the games is almost an entirely different character than the Geralt of the books. All they share is a couple of traits, a profession, and some history. C.D.P.R. invented one of the greatest characters characters in gaming. Why can't they do it,again? And, why would you want to see more of the same, anyway? Between Sapkowski and C.D.P.R., an amazing world has been created, with thousands of interesting characters, fascinating stories, and incredible places. Yet, some people just want to see the same thing over and over.

I feel as if C.D.P.R. could create "The Witcher 32: Geralt Runs Out of Toilet Paper", and some people would still be clamoring for more. Creating endless games like that, and not retiring a series, 100% of the time leads to games like Assassin's Creed, Call of Duty, and Halo, and would completely strip C.D.P.R. of their artistic integrity. Good for them, retiring the series. The more I read these comments, the gladder I am that they most likely won't be coming back to it.

---------- Updated at 10:51 PM ----------

Might I add to that?

:eredinfacepalm:

And now, a word from your friendly neighbourhood moderator: In the interest of respecting the preferences and ideas of others, please, make an effort not to ridicule too harshly those who would like to see Geralt return for another adventure.

And, a personal comment: As some observers of the Series have insightfully remarked, for some players, the third Witcher game is, particularly for newcomers, the first experience with Geralt. Thus, even though the old boy's been knocking about for ages, for some people he's a new hero, whom they would like to see continue on. Thus, even if those people with long acquaintance with the White Wolf are prepared to acknowledge it's time for a change, and, even if the REDs are ready for a change, there will still be those who haven't quite had their fill of The Witcher yet.

Rather a curious business, delayed success, eh?

Last edited:
And now, a word from your friendly neighbourhood moderator: In the interest of respecting the preferences and ideas of others, please, make an effort not to ridicule too harshly those who would like to see Geralt return for another adventure.

You're right. ;)

And, a personal comment: As some observers of the Series have insightfully remarked, for some players, the third Witcher game is, particularly for newcomers, the first experience with Geralt. Thus, even though the old boy's been knocking about for ages, for some people he's a new hero, whom they would like to see continue on. Thus, even if those people with long acquaintance with the White Wolf are prepared to acknowledge it's time for a change, and, even if the REDs are ready for a change, there will still be those who haven't quite had their fill of The Witcher yet.

Rather a curious business, delayed success, eh?

It's not like TW3 is the only material out there for newcomers. There are 13 canon short stories, one non-canon short story, six books, several comic books, a movie, a TV show, an upcoming movie, an upcoming TV show, several board games, several card games, three video games, and an upcoming video game. All of them feature Geralt as the protagonist. Literally 30 years worth of content.

Last edited by a moderator:
To be even more fair, my topic was NEW IDEAS for Witcher 4 storyline, unfortunately it was moved here and now it needs to co-exist somehow with your brilliant one-sided opinions. :)

Aren't all opinions one-sided? There's some food for thought. ;)

Getting back on topic, if you haven't had your fill of our beloved white-locks, I suggest you look into some of the things that I listed above. The short stories, the books, and the other games are all fantastic. The television show, the comic books, and most of the other stuff is decent. The movie is the only one I'd avoid. :p

Aren't all opinions one-sided? There's some food for thought. ;)

Getting back on topic, if you haven't had your fill of our beloved white-locks, I suggest you look into some of the things that I listed above. The short stories, the books, and the other games are all fantastic. The television show, the comic books, and most of the other stuff is decent. The movie is the only one I'd avoid. :p

Appreciate the assumption, but still loving the character doesn't mean I am not familiar with the content out there. So lets agree to disagree, I am sure we are not the only duo out there feeling the same way.

I mean, it's fine for me that the great Story of Geralt ends...for now. And CDPR is working on Cyberpunk, though if there will be another Witcher game, I would probably want to see a PREquel with Vesemir, because he is the character that has probably lived through most things and it would be easily possible to tell a story in 1-3 games, before he found Geralt and co. and was a young Witcher himself.

If you don't want to go for Prequels, obviously Ciri is great in my opinion, but she is less interesting in the Gameplay in my opinion, since she is soo strong, so there would be probably no Monster contracts etc. because she just kills everyone with one hit. Also if you didn't get a certain ending in TW3, it would be pretty hard to make a Witcher game, with Ciri THE WITCHER as the main character ;-)

About Geralt: On one Site I'm really happy how The Witcher games changed from TW1 to TW3 and how the Story of Geralt ends. So I didn't want a real return of Geralt from Rivia, but I'm a bit sad that CDPR didn't want to make a bit more money (xD), by releasing more short-story like games with him: Just like they 2 DLCs. Espacially the first one tells a great story with great characters in it, within 10-20 hours. I think if CDPR was making another 2-3 dlcs with such great story, I would buy all of them.

Last edited:
If you have 1000 people, you will have 1000 opinions too... That's normal and that's good. And by the way if there would be a "Witcher 4" with a protagonist, which a player doesn't like, then there isn't an enforcement to buy the product... ;) Sometimes I found and loved a game of a publisher, which I haven't liked yet, and sometimes it's vice versa.

though if there will be another Witcher game, I would probably want to see a PREquel with Vesemir, because he is the character that has probably lived through most things and it would be easily possible to tell a story in 1-3 games, before he found Geralt and co. and was a young Witcher himself.
I've personally always considered this a rather promising concept for another title.

Let's think a little more outside the box. Why does the next game in this world have to involve a Witcher at all. It could be a spin off game where you play as a Mage or Sorceress. Lol I think I've just spun my own head out. Think of the possibilities! It would also make a nice change from playing as a Witcher. If a Witchers signs are strong enough to take down a monster then a Mage could easily do it. What if the next Protagonist was Regis!!!! Play as a Vampire! (P.S Please don't reply with "Because it's called The Witcher" lol.. I did specifically say the next entry could be a spin-off)

Last edited:
Whoever he/she is I still don't see how it will compare with the orginal series. If they are planning to get rid of the entire witcher "crew", whose characters developed and grew, and who we got to know so well, not only throughout the game trilogy but also through books and comics etc.The new thing has to be pretty damn special to come even close to the emotional value of the original. Otherwise, if it is going to be custom character monster crasher why even bother...

Whoever he/she is

He. Witchers are all men.

Otherwise, if it is going to be custom character monster crasher why even bother...

I'm inclined to agree. I've played a good number of RPGs, and I've only seen one custom character that was even remotely interesting. Pre-defined characters are far better, in my opinion. Although, considering how great of a company C.D.P.R. is, perhaps they could pull off a custom character....

Whoever he/she is I still don't see how it will compare with the orginal series. If they are planning to get rid of the entire witcher "crew", whose characters developed and grew, and who we got to know so well, not only throughout the game trilogy but also through books and comics etc.The new thing has to be pretty damn special to come even close to the emotional value of the original. Otherwise, if it is going to be custom character monster crasher why even bother...

If they want to do something other than just extending the current saga until it becomes stale, they have to get started at some point. At least give the idea of a new cast and new storyline a chance, if it turns out to be bad, it will still be possible to go back to making Witcher sequels with the usual protagonists. :) But I hope that CDPR will succeed in showing their talents with more original content.

I'm inclined to agree. I've played a good number of RPGs, and I've only seen one custom character that was even remotely interesting. Pre-defined characters are far better, in my opinion. Although, considering how great of a company C.D.P.R. is, perhaps they could pull off a custom character....

It looks like Cyberpunk 2077 will feature a custom (at least to some extent) character, if the information in this post is correct and the plans did not change since then. It may depend on how well that idea works out in CP2077 if future games follow the same approach.

And how exactly Withcher 2 was a total reset to anything? You just said yourself did not matter you sided with Scoia'tael or Roche IT DID NOT MATTER in Witcher 3, the ending was just as open. And sure it simply cannot work because THE ONE thing that really makes a game it is logical conclusions and putting events in chronological order, jeez!

Sorry, what? I have a hard time understanding what you are trying to tell me? Like I - and you actually repeated it - said, the choices from the previous games did not matter, because they were reversed in said games already. Hence a total reset for the second and third game. Witcher 3 is different, its finale lacks the reversion, we are left with permanent consequences. It's either Nilfgaard, with an individual state, or Redania, coupled with Triss/Yen and Ciri as a witcher/empress/presumably dead.

Now you can resolve this with an intro before TW4 starts, but it would be really hard to do so, when literally kingdoms changed. The only option in my eyes would be an extended director's cut for TW3 or moving the game to a different setting altogether. Both seem half assed to me, since The Witcher games are connected to one another. But then again, it could be the start of a new trilogy. Only issue now is the fact, that you have way too many characters introduced in Geralt's world, that you will have a hard time including all of them into a good story and pleasing everybody at the same time. Just look at the Shani and Iorveth/Saskia Fiasco. No matter how well explained their abscence might be, people are mighty pissed nonetheless and I can't blame them.

Sorry, what? I have a hard time understanding what you are trying to tell me? Like I - and you actually repeated it - said, the choices from the previous games did not matter, because they were reversed in said games already. Hence a total reset for the second and third game. Witcher 3 is different, its finale lacks the reversion, we are left with permanent consequences. It's either Nilfgaard, with an individual state, or Redania, coupled with Triss/Yen and Ciri as a witcher/empress/presumably dead.

I would not go as far as to say all the choices in TW1 and TW2 did not matter already by the end of the games themselves, some were only reversed in the sequels. But the third game, being written as the finale of a trilogy, does indeed have more "permanent" endings, not to mention some of the consequences may be a relatively long time after the ending; for example, the story of Blood and Wine is apparently not in the same year as that of the base game, and those slides that are shown after the ending (narrated by an old Dandelion) might be even later.

Now you can resolve this with an intro before TW4 starts, but it would be really hard to do so, when literally kingdoms changed. The only option in my eyes would be an extended director's cut for TW3 or moving the game to a different setting altogether. Both seem half assed to me, since The Witcher games are connected to one another. But then again, it could be the start of a new trilogy. Only issue now is the fact, that you have way too many characters introduced in Geralt's world, that you will have a hard time including all of them into a good story and pleasing everybody at the same time. Just look at the Shani and Iorveth/Saskia Fiasco. No matter how well explained their abscence might be, people are mighty pissed nonetheless and I can't blame them.

What I am saying is that IF they really wanted to make another game and go off TW3 ending, they could and being illogical would not stop them. As much as I agree with what you are syaing about the permanent endings and the need for intro, it is not actually that illogical. Coupling up never really stoped Geralt, Nilfgaard/Redania can be solved with intro, or another location used, like you said, and Ciri's situation could be solved the same way as Letho/Aryan. It is very strenched so less likely to happen, but like Eredin_Breacc_Glas said if they ever wanted to go back making original series, it is possible.

Top Bottom