Problem for gtx 970 users?

Do you have a gtx 970?

Then you have experienced the following:

Crashing + hard reboot when entering a cave
Crashing when casting igni/aard on a group of enemies
Crashing when knocking down walls with aard
Crashing when Quen explodes
Crashing during dialogue
Crashing every 5 minutes when doing a main quest at specific points like walking through this doorway, initiating dialogue with someone
Crashing when entering fog
Crashing in loading screens
Crashing when swinging sword in combat
Crashing when changing settings in graphics

Has nothing to do with overheating because I've checked with MSI afterburner and CPU monitor, and even tried downclocking both CPU and GPU and running game with everything on low.

Popped my old gtx 580 back in, played all day without a single crash with measly 20-25fps, but I guess I'm getting same experience as a console player this way.

I would like CDPR to address this problem and fix it in a patch, or at least admit that they are aware they made a colossal fuck up for gtx 970 users

No regards,
Pissed off gamer.

Haven't experienced any of these crashes.

I only think my performance got worse after patch 1.04 or something... But i'm not really sure.

Again, MSI GTX970 4G. Not seeing the 'woeful' performance described.

Not flawless, a handful of crashes (perhaps a dozen in total) in over 450 hours played.

Framerate ok, on mostly ultra (not *high* framerate, but ok. Gsync monitor so no tearing, and FR adequate for combat).

Again, MSI GTX970 4G. Not seeing the 'woeful' performance described.

Not flawless, a handful of crashes (perhaps a dozen in total) in over 450 hours played.

Framerate ok, on mostly ultra (not *high* framerate, but ok. Gsync monitor so no tearing, and FR adequate for combat).

cos you're not using EVGA. Don't accuse me of spreading bullshit

You stated it was an issue with GTX 970s. It isn't. It might (possibly) be an issue with EVGA cards, more likely to be a local system error or configuration issue.

Demanding an apology for flawed handling of GTX970s does require that the fault actually be one for GTX970s and not just your machine. Even then it isn't the right way to approach it, and you come off looking ... unreasonable.

I'm sorry to hear you're having these problems.

Also sorry I can confirm that it isn't happening to me either.
I am using a GTX970, 4gig, asus.

I have experienced a handful of crashes in my time playing at most.
The only game halting experience I've had is a run in with a particularly troublesome fast travel crash that seemed to originate from some interaction on Faroe isle during the 'following the thread' questline.
It was resolved with a workaround pointed towards by helpful forum dwellers.

Now, just because I'm not running into the problems you are, doesn't invalidate what you're saying at all.
It's true I'm playing with a 970gtx, but given what you've described, there's definitely something going on.
The 970 alone cannot be the singular factor that is responsible, but given your improved stability with its removal, it's certainly a major component in your circumstance but what part exactly is way beyond my level of expertise.

I think you might have to furnish the support team with some more hardware details and let them see if they can figure it out because there's something very wonky happening for you.
Whatever it is, I hope you get a solution soon.
Good luck.

Edit: Noticed you specified it's an EVGA while I was typing. Could be worth asking around to see if anyone else on the forum is having a problem with an EVGA brand 970gtx. Build up a number of comparisons of experiences and hardware.

Last edited:
Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX970. I've explored White Orchard and almost all of Velen and Novigrad, had three crashes in total (where the game kicked me to desktop and became unresponsive but sound continued), in random locations, 135 hours playtime.

I have not had all the problems you have. I've only had an occasional "video driver stopped working and was restarted". Sounds like you should ask EVGA to replace your faulty card, not demand the game devs to fix the game.

With my 970 the only crashes I've experienced were from the inventory bug which was fixed and the game being sensitive to my overclock. With my 970 at stock clocks and on Ultra I have absolutely no crashes in the games current state. It runs perfect even with the Cutscene Lighting Mod and ENBs.

Seems like you should blame a potentially faulty card and not CDPR....

Ihave a MSI GTX 970. I crashed two times. The first time was when I entered a merchant shop window. The second after entering the inventory having arrived in Vizima. It was completely random. The second time i entered the shop window I didn't crash.

Hey guys,

I have a MSI GTX 970 GAMING 4G and my game was crashing every 30 - 60 minutes. Error was: MEMORY_ACCESS_VIOLATION or something like that. I figured that my RAM timings might be too tight so i eased them a bit in BIOS. Not a single crash since then (50+ hours of gameplay). So i hope i fixed it for good.

Had a handfull of crashes in over 60h playtime. Nothing i would distinctly put towards the 970.
In fact the game's been running great overall.

On the other hand a LOT of EVGA users are reporting problems, not just with the 970.
Maybe you're barking up the wrong tree..

Last edited:
I can attest to that problem, EVGA SC GTX 970, games plays perfectly fine, except in kaer morhen, mainly when staring at the fog in the mountain tops, my game just crashes, and i get a hard reboot. At some point i couldn't continue the battle for kaer morhen, i had to scour the internet for some fixes, the most famous one, seems to be disabling nvidia's HD audio in device manager, and shutting down nvdia's Geforce experience if you have it. All that helped me get thru kaer morhen, but now i'm stuck in "through space and time", with the same problem, no fix this time. I love this series to much to let it get to me , plus this is a masterpiece, but this problem is just a bit overwhelming, hopefully next patch helps.

Doubt it its the game, im playing on a R9 270X all high settings capped at 40fps by rivatuner, had no crashes, most nvidia users dont have problems too, as those persons in this topic, maybe its the nvidia drivers you have to blame or you just have a messy system? BTW as you know 970 is a fuckup with its VRAM, so maybe its because of this, complain to nvidia :p BTW Try to use fullscreen, unlimited framerate options - heard it prevents crashing.

Have Asus 970GTX Strix.
No issues as described in OT.
My only problems now, are bad drivers from nvidia (on 353.x now, will downgrade to 350.12 soon)

What I've learned with my new 970 card, is that it craves power, and makes my brand new rigg, super sensitive to power flux from the UPS. (was trying to be a cheap-ass, and reuse my 650Watts UPS, had to get a new UPS)
Try your 970-card in another PC, or get a new UPS.

Last edited:
Same, I got a Gainward GTX970 and am running on ultra with rock steady 60FPS. Only sometimes in very heavy scenes it may drop into the low 50s or high 40s, but it always climbs back up.

Top Bottom