Regarding Precious Cargo quest (Spoilers)

+

Regarding Precious Cargo quest (Spoilers)

• Turn over to nilfgaardians

Votes: 23 18.7%
  • Let him go

Votes: 55 44.7%
  • Let go without medicine

Votes: 45 36.6%

• Total voters
Let him go. First of all he would've left with the box if Geralt didn't intervene, so by letting him go you're not getting involved. Second i'd rather have the medicine be in the hands of the North than the Black Ones and it's still going to help people.

I do have a question though. Why didn't he just take the box from the cart and leave? Why was he sitting by the road, waiting? Can he not handle a few drowners?

Last edited:
Let him go. First of all he would've left with the box if Geralt didn't intervene, so by letting him go you're not getting involved. Second i'd rather have the medicine be in the hands of the North than the Black Ones and it's still going to help people.

I do have a question though. Why didn't he just take the box from the cart and leave? Why was he sitting by the road, waiting? Can he not handle a few drowners?

Yes, I think that´s the cause. He´s an archer, not a professional swordsman, and less when it comes to monsters. :)

Also, this is a very difficult question. The video states that the man who this archer killed is a corporal in truth, so it was a nilfgardian soldier. However, for me that is foul play and deserves a punishment. Maybe not death, but prison at least. We don´t know what the nilfgardians are going to do to him though. I can´t decide between those three options.

Last edited:
Personally, I wouldn't have knocked him off his horse in the first place, I'd have followed him to his hideout, see what's up with my own eyes.

But, in the situation that was presented at the end of the video, I'd have let him go, while returning the medicine to the Nilfgaardians.

Let him free and let him keep the medicine.

I actually don't like how CPDR wrote that part of the quest shown in the video when Geralt hands him over to the blacks. It's imho highly questionable to call the guy a murderer. He is a Temerian soldier who killed a Nilfgaardian soldier in a war between those factions on Temerian soil. Temeria is occupied by Nilfgaard and Nilfgaard were the aggressors and invaders. If you ask me, that's not murder, that's just war. That's defending your home country. The guy that got killed was no civilian. He was an enemy soldier in a country his party invaded. So Geralt's line of thought and what he says to defend his decision makes no sense in my books.

In no way my Geralt would ever help the Nilfgaardians if there was no damn good reason for that. That's imho not the case here. Don't forget: Nilfgaard are the bad guys here. Every dead Nilfgaardian is a good Nilfgaardian. :p

Last edited:
Personally, I wouldn't have knocked him off his horse in the first place, I'd have followed him to his hideout, see what's up with my own eyes.

Now, that would have been much more interesting to see! When we can weigh the case of both sides more fairly, we can make better-informed decisions. I look forward to those sort of possibilities, and the allowance to pursue them. I hope it'll be so.

Last edited:
Yes, I think that´s the cause. He´s an archer, not a professional swordsman, and less when it comes to monsters. :)

Also, this is a very difficult question. The video states that the man who this archer killed is a corporal in truth, so it was a nilfgardian soldier. However, for me that is foul play and deserves a punishment. Maybe not death, but prison at least. We don´t know what the nilfgardians are going to do to him though. I can´t decide between those three options.

I think that the NIlfgaardians will torture him until he says the location of his group's hideout, so if there is a camp of Temerian soldiers, choosing to turn him in might mean it gets destroyed and all the soldiers get killed.

My Geralt couldn't care less about who wins the war. So I won't take sides unless there are clear evidence that one part or the other will be the greater evil for the common people as a whole. So therefore I will take the war out of the equation in this case and just see him as nothing but a common murderer or guerrilla warrior with no honor.

He shot a man on a cart that was getting medicine to ease the pain of others. I can't get behind that no matter his reasons. Besides I see him as a coward hiding in the bushes. First he shots the guy and a horse from afar most likely - the other guy probably didn't even see it coming. And then finally he doesn't even have the stomach to go and get the medicine himself because of a few drowners. Instead he needs someone else to take the risk he doesn't want to put himself in. Lastly as I see it he knows he did something not morally right and as such he lies to his teeth in the beginning.

I begin to wonder just for how many possibilities they've allowed in these quests. There could be quite a few choices, depending on the number of routes the writers anticipated the players pursuing.

Me personaly, I would have let him go, but without the medicine, which I would then give to the folks, most probably in some lazaret.

My Geralt couldn't care less about who wins the war. So I won't take sides unless there are clear evidence that one part or the other will be the greater evil for the common people as a whole. So therefore I will take the war out of the equation in this case and just see him as nothing but a common murderer or guerrilla warrior with no honor.
Honor? Really? Sorry, but this is not a fairy tale with white knights riding on white horses. Nilfgaardians invaded the country, killed civilians, raided the countryside, burnt down villages, like they did before. What's the "honor" in that? What's the honor in invading a foreign kingdom? Don't come up with "murderer" or "warrior without honor". That's just double standards.

And staying neutral would mean that you let him go. If you don't care about the war at all you don't care about one soldier killing another. You would let them fight out their war without getting involved. Handing over the guy to the black means that you indeed get involved. You take side for the blacks and you help them by handing over an underground Temerian soldier. That's many things, but it's far from staying out of the conflict and being neutral...

He shot a man on a cart that was getting medicine to ease the pain of others. I can't get behind that no matter his reasons.
No. He shot an enemy soldiers who was supposed to supply the enemy army with medicine and therefore to strengthen the enemy army. Cutting down supply lines is a regular tactics in war, especially if you have to use guerilla tactics due to your side being to small or weak for open conflict.

Besides I see him as a coward hiding in the bushes. First he shots the guy and a horse from afar most likely - the other guy probably didn't even see it coming. And then finally he doesn't even have the stomach to go and get the medicine himself because of a few drowners.
He's chicken, I agree. Is that the reason why you sentence him to torture and death? Where's the honor in that? You know that the Nilfgaardians have no mercy at all. They will likely torture the guy to get more information about the Temerians and because the guys is chicken he will likely speak which will lead to more dead Temerians. And YOU are the one responsible for these dead people if you hand over the guy...

Instead he needs someone else to take the risk he doesn't want to put himself in. Lastly as I see it he knows he did something not morally right and as such he lies to his teeth in the beginning.
He is a liar, I agree. But is that enough to hand him over to the blacks with all the possible consequences.

Let him free and let him keep the medicine.

I actually don't like how CPDR wrote that part of the quest shown in the video when Geralt hands him over to the blacks. It's imho highly questionable to call the guy a murderer. He is a Temerian soldier who killed a Nilfgaardian soldier in a war between those factions on Temerian soil. Temeria is occupied by Nilfgaard and Nilfgaard were the aggressors and invaders. If you ask me, that's not murder, that's just war. That's defending your home country. The guy that got killed was no civilian. He was an enemy soldier in a country his party invaded. So Geralt's line of thought and what he says to defend his decision makes no sense in my books.

In no way my Geralt would ever help the Nilfgaardians if there was no damn good reason for that. That's imho not the case here. Don't forget: Nilfgaard are the bad guys here. Every dead Nilfgaardian is a good Nilfgaardian. :p

His unit is disbanded and as such he is not a solider but a guy that takes action into his own hands together with others. As such he most also be accountable for his actions. If he want to participate against the aggressors he should sign up at another regiment. He is a guerrilla warrior and history has shown us that they can more than often be some of the worst because they act from their own moral compass and today it's a Nilfgaardian but tomorrow it can be people in a village that he and his fellows judged worked with his enemies.

I think that the NIlfgaardians will torture him until he says the location of his group's hideout, so if there is a camp of Temerian soldiers, choosing to turn him in might mean it gets destroyed and all the soldiers get killed.

Yeah, it would probably be that way. In that case, I would probable let him go but without the medicines. In war, as bad as it it, for me is a crime to don´t even let the wounded be threated, or at least minimize their pain. I just remember the battle of Brenna from the books, and
how Rusty, the northern doctor, with Shani, Iola and the other one I can´t remeber right now, helped both sides.

But I have to admit that the idea of following him to the hideout it´s quite interesting if it´s actually possible.

Last edited:
His unit is disbanded and as such he is not a solider but a guy that takes action into his own hands together with others.
That's what many people do in the underground if they don't have another chance. That's how the Resistance worked in WW2. It's even the goddamn duty of someone who loves his country...

As such he most also be accountable for his actions. If he want to participate against the aggressors he should sign up at another regiment.
Why? This is war. This is not some Samurai fight, all about honor and fighting "the good fight". This is about kill or being killed. This is about survival. The guy killed an enemy soldier. I'm pretty sure the Temerians and the Northlings would call him a hero...

He is a guerrilla warrior and history has shown us that they can more than often be some of the worst because they act from their own moral compass and today it's a Nilfgaardian but tomorrow it can be people in a village that he and his fellows judged worked with his enemies.
That's called prejudgment. Sentencing somebody for something he could do in the future - maybe. Is that right? I don't think so.

And then again, who are the Nilfgaardians to let them judge on this guy's actions. They are an oppressing power and not the power that SHOULD rule. If anybody had to judge about the actions of that guy it should be a Temerian (war) tribunal with a Temerian judge because we're on Temerian soil here. You just hand over the guy to the enemy and if you do so, you're guilty of collaboration with the enemy. And if your action leads to more killed Temerians (maybe even civilians?) you're even guilty of cooperation in war crimes...

Last edited:
That's what many people do in the underground if they don't have another chance. That's how the Resistance worked in WW2. It's even the goddamn duty of someone who loves his country...

Why? This is war. This is not some Samurai fight, all about honor and fighting "the good fight". This is about kill or being killed. This is about survival. The guy killed an enemy soldier. I'm pretty sure the Temerians and the Northlings would call him a hero...

That's called prejudgment. Sentencing somebody for something he could do in the future - maybe. Is that right? I don't think so.

And then again, who are the Nilfgaardians to let them rule about this guy's actions. They are an oppressing power and not the power that SHOULD rule. If anybody had to judge about the actions of that guy it should be a Temerian tribunal with a Temerian judge because we're on Temerian soil here. You just hand over the guy to the enemy and if you do so, you're guilty. Yeah, guilty. ;)

You are right. I completely overlooked that it is in Temeria that is completely occupied and not Redania that is still fighting. Then I agree it changes matters completely as he have no way of enlisting to another regiment. A blunder on my part.

But had it been in Redania I would have stand by my choices.

In the name of neutrality, I would probably avoid the quest given my current foresight. But in the name of being interesting, I suppose it would depend on my feelings for the Nilfgaardians and the Nordlings at that time. From what I've seen of Captain Peter Saar Gwynleve, he seems like a top bloke. I named in another thread a myriad of reasons why I would indirectly support the Nordlings if it came down to it, but I can shake the feeling when it gets up close and personal -- dealing with Gwynleve's dying men or helping this random dude I just met that lied to my face... CDPR certainly know how to write highly charged side quests with conflicting interests.

On top of this, I am also interested in chasing that character down further and seeing where he would go. I would also like to wonder what would happen if you took the box and let him go-- whether there would be a cutscene with you handing the box over straight to the Nilfgaardians or whether you could hold onto the box and potentially not deliver it to them (or deliver it to someone else, though that's unlikely.)

Once you know there's something in the box and that the man is lying to you, once you know the truth, being neutral gets a whole lot harder. ):

You are right. I completely overlooked that it is in Temeria that is completely occupied and not Redania that is still fighting. Then I agree it changes matters completely as he have no way of enlisting to another regiment. A blunder on my part.

But had it been in Redania I would have stand by my choices.
Well, if we were in Redania wouldn't you have to hand him over to Redanian officials then? In any way, the Nilfgaardians are imo the wrong faction to judge on his fate. ;)

Well, if we were in Redania wouldn't you have to hand him over to Redanian officials then? In any way, the Nilfgaardians are imo the wrong faction to judge on his fate. ;)

Yes if I had that option, but here I only have the option of handing him over to Nilfgaard and that's why I say I stand by my choice. Guerilla warriors I just can't get behind!

But OMG I can't believe I made that blunder. I watch that quest TEN times and I just re-watched it before I wrote my first post and he freaking says TEMERIAN. :facepalm:

Top Bottom