Romances: Disparity in quality and quantity

+
While I don't understand why they cut the one with the ex-wife, I personally prefer that they cut the one with Johnny about the relationship. He is either dismissive or makes it about himself. I'm fine with there being nothing in this case if an alternative is that.

True, what he says is a little weird considering the whole questline from Johnny/Kerry felt like overcoming prejudices in one way or another. I didn't really like him before that especially not because of the way he would speak about other people here and there. But by the end of the whole questline at the latest I think he finally realized that even Johnny the Great can be wrong sometimes which made him WAY more likeable to me. So I agree with you, it's really weird what he says. It just confused me that he wouldn't say anything at all considering you are sleeping with his best friend. The only thing he says is during the final call when Johnny goes like "Kerry?" - "Mhm" - "What? Didn't say anything." (or something like that). That's all. I really waited for him threatening me or something like that lol too bad that didn't happen would have been funny.

Yeah :( It’s very in-your-face and I completely get why people are made uncomfortable by him. It was a case of him being so horribly underdeveloped that it’s just the absolute worst for everyone involved. Maybe the “miss you” line would make sense if they had given an option for a comforting hug at the end of The Hunt, not necessarily romantic but at least establishing a closer friendship?

It's such a shame because as male V the friendship those two develop is really wholesome. Too bad that they wouldn't give the same treatment to him and a female V. Which makes me miss it even more that there weren't any following jobs with him, now that he became a PI. Could have become a more important part of the story overall, especially if they decided to use him as a sort of "fixer".

I'll confess that I was disappointed that the endings with the male romances are all pretty sad. The female romances have a happy option. Instead we got:

The Star -
A breakup
The Sun -
An argument where you push them away
The Devil -
A nice 30 second phone call but at the cost of unleashing an immortal devil

I liked that the LIs all had different goals and motivations. I also liked that they were not doormats to V and it made sense for the male options to stay in NC. But I did not like that they weren't made more comparable in their own way in the endings.

I did exactly the same last night, he walks out the door and you can see him stop so I was like “oh, this must be what I missed in my last playthrough, there must be a talk on the porch.” Then the time skip and you’re off.

LOL glad it wasn't just me. But yeah, exactly this - the strong feeling that I had accidentally missed the options leading up to it because it flips a 180 in the final quest and comes on very strong.

Do you realise that what you find good might turn as unsettling for others? Why if I do not like flirting?
Why do you act like this is (suggested to be) mutually exclusive? IRL there are many different ways to end up with a significant other, so why couldn't this game, within reason, allow the player to decide how to approach things? A QTE or dialog option can easily be used to allow the player to choose whether they want to go the flirty route or not. Bioware's games, for the most part, have always (at least that's how I feel about it) given me the option to choose at which pace I pursued any given romance.

And you don't even have the option to tell Johnny that V is not interested in him... even the first line where V says he's just a good friend doesn't help much. :giveup: The whole River thing is just weird if you play a V who's not interested in him or even worse, a lesbian V because you can't even avoid mentioning dudes in the past. I wish there were options to say you had women in the past instead of dudes. It kinda ruins the immersion.

My V never mentioned dudes in the past other than bad pickup lines, which I'm sure most lesbians would have heard regardless if they were in any relationships with Men.
Post automatically merged:

I'll confess that I was disappointed that the endings with the male romances are all pretty sad. The female romances have a happy option. Instead we got:

The Star -
A breakup
The Sun -
An argument where you push them away
The Devil -
A nice 30 second phone call but at the cost of unleashing an immortal devil

I liked that the LIs all had different goals and motivations. I also liked that they were not doormats to V and it made sense for the male options to stay in NC. But I did not like that they weren't made more comparable in their own way in the endings.

LOL glad it wasn't just me. But yeah, exactly this - the strong feeling that I had accidentally missed the options leading up to it because it flips a 180 in the final quest and comes on very strong.
the "argument" in sun can end pretty much with the tone, I'm sorry I'm just gonna misss you while your on this mission, I'm here for you. I personally don't see going on a business trip to save your life as pushing them away

I included those lines because Panam's response is different if you're trying to romance her. For example, if you pick the "I'm worried things will change between us" line after the relic malfunction, Panam's response is different to V who's just a friend. Same with Kerry and "I'm glad we get this moment to ourselves." It's available to female V as well but his reply is different to her.

I think the reason you see it as Panam taking things slow (and I don't disagree) is because she and V have flirty dialogue throughout her questline, while others don't. If they had something it could also be seen as all of them taking things slow.

Thank you for sharing! And oof poor River. That's so little dialogue.

While I don't understand why they cut the one with the ex-wife, I personally prefer that they cut the one with Johnny about the relationship. He is either dismissive or makes it about himself. I'm fine with there being nothing in this case if an alternative is that.

yeah, I see why you included some of the stuff now.

basically what I'm saying is panam rejects you because personally she doesn't trust the relationship. She as a character, just resists, this extends the overall romance attempts, but not really actual interpersonal content much. I can see why this is rare, It could theoretically come across as bad if V keeps flirting and the character doesn't respond. Also, letting V be the one to slow down the romance is worse. Some people already feel the River romance is creepy, notice his is the only relationship where V is being pursued. And to be honest, imo nothing river did is abnormal for someone trying to find out if someone likes them.

I guess, it could work if V and a character have casual sex early, and develop deeper relationship after.

And, even though its only a couple lines, I see how this allows pan am a bit more room to express the relationship post sex. I think they could get around this without shoehorning, perhaps with more quests, or have some quests, which if you are in a relation ship, you get an optional extra scene. Like some of the quests that have you wait, til a certain time you can pass with them, or maybe at the end if the quest you get an option to meet up. Or maybe you just run into them on the side quest.

Last edited:
the "argument" in sun can end pretty much with the tone, I'm sorry I'm just gonna misss you while your on this mission, I'm here for you. I personally don't see going on a business trip to save your life as pushing them away
It's the tone in which V says it, at least to River. None of the options are actually saying sorry, they're all justifications for why she's being the way she is while River tries to get her to let him in. You can say you need him and it's kinda sweet, but then the next options go right back to V sounding defensive.
V can say "I'm doing this so the city remembers me" or "I've got one more mission." In response to the first River talks about the city never letting her win that fight, and the second he asks to help and V aggressively says "Afterlife is my world, not yours." River responds "You're going to keep running away to your world until the very end." V just says "The only way I know."

We can guess at the reason for it, whether she's just stressed and trying to protect River or if she's actually going on a possible suicide mission for the ultimate glory or a potential cure, but it's not completely out of line for people to see it as V distancing herself from him. It's pretty bitter dialogue with very small hints of sweet.
As if that's not enough of a kick in the teeth, V can ask "you can't leave Night City, can you?" and River says "I could, if I could think of anywhere else I wanted to be and if the people I cared most about weren't already here." So it's fun thinking about that when he saunters off and leaves V in the dust in the Star Ending.

Guest 4412420

It's the tone in which V says it, at least to River.
I think it's another example of River getting a short end of the stick. I have issues with how depressed V sounds in that ending (in comparison to The Star ending) but a conversation with Kerry can go pretty well. It's still a bit sad and Kerry is worried but they don't fight. I guess it's because V's new life as a merc legend could be considered as somewhat high profile, at least in mercenary circles, and if anyone can understand how that lifestyle feels it's definitely Kerry.

Also, letting V be the one to slow down the romance is worse. Some people already feel the River romance is creepy, notice his is the only relationship where V is being pursued. And to be honest, imo nothing river did is abnormal for someone trying to find out if someone likes them.
Not sure what you mean by slow down the romance?

This is just my personal preference when it comes to romances in video games but I prefer if it's the player character who initiates things first and if your character has enough approval or in Cyberpunk's case fits the character's preference they respond accordingly. Or them saying something first if you progressed far enough in the romance subplot. Avoids situations like the one with River and it leaves the whole thing up to the player.

For the most part, this is how they are in Cyberpunk, you're right, but as we've already discussed in this thread the surprising differences between just how many options we have is what some of us see as an issue. And since for most romances it's V who shows interest first this lack of dialogue feels jarring because no matter who they're interested in it's still V and it doesn't make sense for V to be forward and blunt with one LI while acting emotionally constipated with another.

Last edited by a moderator:
And you don't even have the option to tell Johnny that V is not interested in him... even the first line where V says he's just a good friend doesn't help much. :giveup: The whole River thing is just weird if you play a V who's not interested in him or even worse, a lesbian V because you can't even avoid mentioning dudes in the past. I wish there were options to say you had women in the past instead of dudes. It kinda ruins the immersion.

The dinner convo seemed the perfect branch point to allow the player to express no interest/interest in others. Yet instead you have wade through some very awkward stuff to finally shut him down.

However one thing still sticks out as glaringly bad, which is how unbalanced in content and depth the romances are. Both female romances are introduced early, main plot integral, also have lengthy side quests on top of their already substantial main quest content and generally feel like a presence through the whole game. They stand up to the best BioWare romances.

The male options, on the other hand, feel like an afterthought. Neither are involved in the main quest and instead of having extra side content to compensate, they have notably less.

Thank you for making this thread! I couldn't agree more with your post. I've wanted to write something similar for a while, but it always ends up being way too long or sounding a little too angry.

I've been a fan of CDPR since Witcher 1 and have always liked how they handled romance. It was always pretty bold and lots of fun. I remember when Witcher 1 came out and everyone was talking about those cards! (Anybody remember that vampire-foursome? Haha, good times!) I also liked that their romances felt more non-linear. In Witcher 2 you'd wake up next to Triss and had the option to sleep with her again in chapter 1... and her involvement in the game doesn't end there. In Witcher 3 you don't have to do all of Yennefer's side quests in order to have a romantic interaction with her. I've always respected that Geralt is a straight guy and I didn't mind at all. But now I kinda feel like I've been invited to the table for the first time but got nothing but leftovers.

Suddenly the romances are very linear aka "do all of NPC A's personal quest to get a romance scene". That in itself is a disappointment for me, but I feel like it works better (not saying that it's perfect!) for Judy and Panam because they are involved in the main story, so their content is a little more spread out and you meet them very early into the game. (And Panam has her own ending... so yeah.) But River and Kerry... I feel like they were an afterthought. Their content is very limited. (I do, however, appreciate that they put equal effort into all of the "sexy" scenes.)

Let me just recap my experience. On my first run as male V, I played all the side-missions including all personal quests of the romanceable characters. Tried to flirt with all of them, even slept with Panam... but my ultimate goal was Kerry. After romancing Panam I was pretty pumped to go after Kerry because I thought I had another lengthy quest chain waiting for me. Well... let's just say I was very, very underwhelmed. His side quests are very short. Show up, do something for like 5 minutes aaaaand he's gone. When you finally have time to sit down and talk to him as V after the Samurai gig, he hands you his gun and leaves pretty much immediately. His first quest... you throw one grenade and that's that. All his quests are so short and you never really get to bond with the guy... and then suddenly he starts acting like you've been through a lot together. Don't get me wrong I actually really liked his "date", but he doesn't even invite you home after you slept with him, just dumps you at some quick travel point. He's the only romanceable character you don't get to spend the night with. Damn, I felt pretty low after that. (He also forgets that you finished his quests and romanced him after the fact. If you go to his house he'll still rant about that girl group. Don't know if that's a bug or an oversight.)

There are so many interesting male characters in CP2077. Johnny, Takemura, Victor, Saul. Yet somehow they are not an option as romantic partners... Imagine Panam's storyline, but there was an alternative path that lets you side with Saul! Instead, all male options are hidden behind sidequests. Or sidequests of side quests. Why? Feels like someone designed Judy and Panam already with a romance in mind, but never gave a thought about how gay guys and straight women might want to romance a well-developed male main character. If you take one look at fanfiction sites, lots of fangirls seem to be into Johnny. Women are into Keanu Reeves!? Who would have thunk... And to add insult to injury all male prostitutes in the game look super flamboyant. There isn't even a male one night stand. But thank god we get to experience Johnny Silverhand "sweet talk" and make out with three different women (not female V of course). The story would be really lacking without that. Sorry for the sarcasm.

All in all, I'm just really disappointed how CDPR handled this... no you know what.... I hate to admit it, but I'm actually hurt that they thought "yeah... that's good enough".

I apologize for the rant, but I really needed to get this of my chest. I usually don't feel insulted by sth as dumb as romance options in a video game. But for some reason CP2077 really rubbed me he wrong way.

There are so many interesting male characters in CP2077. Johnny, Takemura, Victor, Saul. Yet somehow they are not an option as romantic partners... Imagine Panam's storyline, but there was an alternative path that lets you side with Saul! Instead, all male options are hidden behind sidequests.
Thiiiis. This exact thing. They didn't have to take characters they didn't feel like writing more content for and clip a romance to the last mission of their short chains, it's not like they worked flirtation into their starting missions anyway. They could have just weaved in a romance with characters that already existed throughout the main story line that would have allowed gay men/straight women to have a similar experience, they just didn't.

A Saul questline could have been so good, seeing what really goes into being a leader and why he comes across as such a hardass, especially if you were a Nomad V that had to leave their clan because they disagreed with their leadership.

Guest 4412420

Thiiiis. This exact thing. They didn't have to take characters they didn't feel like writing more content for and clip a romance to the last mission of their short chains, it's not like they worked flirtation into their starting missions anyway. They could have just weaved in a romance with characters that already existed throughout the main story line that would have allowed gay men/straight women to have a similar experience, they just didn't.
This "could have" scenario only works in a situation where the game's development went better than it did.

From all aforementioned male characters, the only ones who are relevant to the main story are Johnny and Takemura. I think they could have made Takemura a LI but there's no way they'd ever make Johnny into one. And with Saul and Vik, CDPR not only would have had to write romances but questlines for them too, and it's simply easier and less time consuming to slap romance subplots onto characters who already have existing storylines.

So, personally I don't think that people who played as V who's into men would have gotten a better experience if CDPR went this route. With Takemura being an exception but they probably would have made him straight (can male V even ask him out for dinner via text? I sassed him so I may have messed up) which would leave male V with no male LI.

This "could have" scenario only works in a situation where the game's development went better than it did.
For sure, but it’s nice to play make-believe sometimes. :(

If I’m being honest I’m a little glad they didn’t make them LIs from the get-go because I get the feeling they wouldn’t have changed the endings.

I’m sure a romanced Saul would still die to progress Panam’s storyline and Takemura would tell you to go to hell if you didn’t pick Devil and would wish you a good rest of your life if you did.

By themselves the male LIs are just lackluster and underutilized, but when compared to the female LIs it almost feels like you’re being punished for not picking the ones they wanted you to. So you’re right, it probably wouldn’t have been any different if they picked different dudes to offer up, they didn’t care to use any of them at all. Buuut I can’t help but fall into the “what-ifs” :p

I’m also not sure about the flirt with Takemura. I played FemV that also sassed him and never got the option to ask him out. Unfortunate.

From all aforementioned male characters, the only ones who are relevant to the main story are Johnny and Takemura. I think they could have made Takemura a LI but there's no way they'd ever make Johnny into one. And with Saul and Vik, CDPR not only would have had to write romances but questlines for them too, and it's simply easier and less time consuming to slap romance subplots onto characters who already have existing storylines.

I mean, at this point everything is a "what could have been" scenario. My whole point is that obviously when they were writing the main story they took the time to consider female romances while male romances had to be tacked on last minute. Slapping a romantic plot on some random existing character shouldn't happen. I expected them to do better in the first place.

They also took the time to let Johnny sleep with Alt, make out with Rogue, party with a stripper, acknowledge Kerry's feelings, and comment jokingly that he'd sleep with Kerry if he could turn back time. (Then they act shocked when gamers mod Johnny into sexual situations, lol.) A bit of optional flirty dialogue between Johnny and V would have been in-character, fun, and wouldn't have harmed anyone. Heck... Telling Johnny you'd die for him would actually make more sense if V had caught some feelings for him. But that's just my opinion as a writer.

I’m sure a romanced Saul would still die to progress Panam’s storyline and Takemura would tell you to go to hell if you didn’t pick Devil and would wish you a good rest of your life if you did.

Oh if it were up to me, I'd have written Panam and Saul into a Mass Effect 1 Ashley and Kaidan scenario... so that the player character has to decide between them. But I'm slightly evil and don't really care that much about Panam, so feel free to ignore me.

Guest 4412420

My whole point is that obviously when they were writing the main story they took the time to consider female romances while male romances had to be tacked on last minute.
I agree that Judy and Panam are definitely being favored not just as romance options but as characters in general, and that male LIs as far as their romances go at least, also feel rushed in comparison (they obviously did put work into them and I personally like what's there but they should have had more). It is disappointing and I also expected them to do better.

Slapping a romantic plot on some random existing character shouldn't happen.
Somewhat disagree here. I think characters should be written first and foremost as characters. If done well, adding romance subplot later can work. Look at characters like Cullen and Solas from DAI. The only reason they're LIs is because BioWare got an extra year of development which allowed them to add said romances and now they're two of the most popular LIs in the game. The problem here is that CDPR didn't do nearly as well as they could have.

Good on you OP for calling this out. I haven't posted here in awhile as my time in Night City is over for now, but I spent 300+ hours playing CP2077, and done ALMOST all the romances. I feel the best way to convey my thoughts is to point straight to the fact that to me it's VERY clear Judy was the one they went for broke on.

It's the little things - like the build up to getting to know more about her, and culminating in one of the best and most intimate romance quests I've ever experienced in any game (pyramid song). The post romance texts were cute, spontaneous, and felt the most natural. I found myself looking forward to getting another one of those more than actually doing more quests. They built it up just right, not to mention it was directly tied to the main storyline - you went thing some harrowing shit together. The other romances felt like they started off strong in the idea process and then people just got tired of working on them. All of them should've gotten the same attention Judy's did, and that includes Panam.

Somewhat disagree here. I think characters should be written first and foremost as characters. If done well, adding romance subplot later can work. Look at characters like Cullen and Solas from DAI. The only reason they're LIs is because BioWare got an extra year of development which allowed them to add said romances and now they're two of the most popular LIs in the game. The problem here is that CDPR didn't do nearly as well as they could have.

You are absolutely right of course. If they take time and care, adding a romance later can work. DA:I is actually the ONLY game I can think of that gives straight women better options than straight men! I'm just really salty that CDPR didn't take time or care and that male romances seemed to have been one of the last things on their mind. They could have planned their writing better, sth like that doesn't just happen accidentally.

Damn, I just really hope they get it together and give us some kick-ass DLC...

And to add insult to injury all male prostitutes in the game look super flamboyant. There isn't even a male one night stand. But thank god we get to experience Johnny Silverhand "sweet talk" and make out with three different women (not female V of course). The story would be really lacking without that. Sorry for the sarcasm.
Couldn't agree more with this. Even though I'm a straight female (and like my characters to be as well when possible), I'm all for video games having beautiful women throwing themselves at the protagonist (heck, I went to a few brothels with Geralt on my first TW3 playthrough :sneaky: sorry, Yen!), if I like a female character enough, I go for the lesbian route (Isabella in DA2! :love:). But for the first time ever, a game actually managed to make me feel bitter and salty about the amount of attention straight males got with the "sexy times". Straight females have River (the romance/character with the least attention) and two joytoys that look really.... not attractive (at least to me).

Come on, CDPR.... I expected better from you. :sad:

when i saw the announcements for the game i thought there would be a lot more varieties. I didn't expect all romanceable characters to have a part to play in the main quest, but I had expected more choices. Gay men are stuck with Kerry, whether they like him or not, he is the only option for them and it sucks. Especially for a character who doesn't really have a big personality and was ready to kill three girls because they had the misfortune to cover one of his songs. He is selfish and downright pathetic. River was much more interesting but confusing since you don't have a clue about his sexual preferences until you try to kiss him It's quite frustrating.

I also think that romances are too limited. Though there're 4 in theory, in connection with gender there're actually only 2, and in connection with sexual orientation there's even actually only 1

I think Takemura and Dum Dum are very suitable to be romances, in terms of plot and characters.

Takemura and V get along a lot in the plot, His personality is also attractive - a person who looks aloof but has many inner drama, sometimes goofy. I have seen someone say he is "the type when you doing some 'exciting things' with him, you moan 'Arasxxker' he'll jump up naked and scold you to behave yourself". But isn't it more attractive:sad: at least for fiction. Though (I think) he isn't most handsome, but at least among the top in CP2077. There's already have MILF Meredith (though she can only stand for one night so far), GMILF Rogue (though she's actually Johnny's), GFILF Kerry, why not FILF Takemura?

Dum Dum is from a infamous mad scientist gang, he has both Kerry and River's personality traits. He's bold and vigorous with a tender side. And I guess he has a special below :sad: If help Maelstrom can romance with him or even a one night stand, I'll definitely help them because
I'd like to see the electric drill drilling sea anemone or pencil sharpener sharpening cucumber

And I'd like to see Scavengers romance. Because Scavs is the poorest gang in terms of plot - completely hostile and fancy attracting hatred, haven't any important (in plot) member. They give the impression that they're just mobs that can be killed easily. A Scavs romance will maybe the "lowlife with kind side" type
:sleep:We are from the Scavengers Conservation Association. Scavs will never be slaves. Protecting the Scavs, Every V is responsible.:sleep:

Oda. A gothic cutie with few appearances and fewer chances that can see his face clearly. When I saw the clear picture of his face for the first time, my inner activity was "WTF it's Oda", then "Am I dazzled", then "Awwwwwww"
Though he only has few appearances, there's a certain description of his personality. He's fierce and sharp tongue, but good in heart and principled.
My male V can only thinks of Oda's face and uses Sir John Phallustiff so far. Oda and Takemura can become romances in DLC, but because CP2077 can have muti-romances, it may have some plot processing to avoid embarrassment, maybe sexual orientation or "who do you save when they fall into the sea". I think it probably the reason why male V can't romance with Judy.

Last edited:
Other than the depth story with Judy vs the shallow one with River, I do not get the interest in Judy as a partner for Valerie, or even Vincent if they allowed such a thing. I see her as a friend only with Valerie. Judy is a emotional train wreck, she sends so many 'red flags', esp. when you read her history with past relationships. Johnny's original assessment in the cabin is 100% right.
With Takemura, I was surprised really, that he did not display romantic interest with Valerie, esp. with all the energy saving her life, (regardless of motivation) fighting by her side, and impressed what she can do. The big plus, is when Valerie displays honour by risking her life to save his. I wonder if the Araska ending would be different with a Goro seeing Valerie as wife material, ........ I guess we will never know.....

Late to the party and my post will probably include many other people’s opinions who spoke before me but yeah… still decided to share my thoughts with you. One less to count as ‘silent majority’ pleased with the content of this thread.

Spoilers ahead, but what are you doing here before finishing the game? ;)

I’ll focus mostly on Kerry for obvious reasons.

First thing that came to my mind after finishing Kerry’s storyline was ‘why is he even considered as a full-fledged romance option and not a one night stand?’

To begin with - you’re in a rush, you fear for your life, you feel pressure to meet with Hanako, yet somehow it’s the peeerfect (yeah, but no) time to slow down, let Johnny take control over you, and shorten your lifespan due to the pills from Misty (in the end they don’t really impact the progress, but uh, that’s not what we’ve been told at the beginning). So quite a sacrifice.

I won’t dwell on Kerry’s personal quests - they’re not exactly my cup of tea - but it doesn’t matter, that’s not the point. Personally I wouldn’t even bother chasing after the rockerboy due to my condition (yup, I mean that tiny ticking bomb in V’s head) but I wanted to experience this romance option. Alright, I can turn a blind eye on the subject of most of his personal quests and focus on what’s next.

‘A Like Supreme’ mission, a gig in Red Dirt. Kerry mentions something about things ‘before him trying to shoot V/Johnny’ while giving V his revolver. Oh, a foreshadowing? You had my curiosity, but now you have my attention!

(And even after the last pill V rushes himself to finally meet with Hanako but nah, she can wait a few days more. Quite the timing, no?)

Terrace in Dark Matter seemed to be a perfect start to go deeper. Then… nothing. Just a kiss out of the blue (as many before me wrote in this thread – I’d love to see hints that V and Kerry are attracted to each other). At the beach, when V decides whether to start a relationship or not, it was said (the internet told me) that ending romance will cause Kerry’s relapse. And I was like WHAT? All the progress he made seemed to be fueled by meeting Johnny, V being himself barely scratched the surface.

The beginning of their relationship was fast and intense, I can live with that. But it was quite sad to discover that after ‘Boat Drinks’ nothing interesting happens. Well, nothing happens, to be precise. But as they say hope dies last, so when my corp started talking with Kerry about leaving Araska, I thought ‘Oh, so maybe now they can open up to each other?’ then V… just cut it short. That dialogue seemed to me to be such a perfect opportunity when V finally had his chance to make some progress and he just let it go, he gave up. We never have any occasion to bring up what he said that night in Red Dirt or confess about V’s condition.

After completing Judy and Panam storylines and confessing to them that things were getting worse, seeing how they cared for V and promised to help somehow, I didn’t even get the CHOICE if I wanted to talk to Kerry about anything important. So compared to interactions and dialogues with female companions, I just felt like I got left with one big nothing. Yup. My expectations were high not because of marketing-made hype, but based on what I experienced with Panam and Judy. I don’t say they’re perfect but they delivered much more.

Time flies by, bomb’s ticking, and if we want to see text messages from almost 90-year-old teenager in love (they’re naively cute, but extremely cringy :p) we have to linger for about a week more. Not to mention that when Kerry texted V after Boat Drinks I decided to come by and seeing the same mess all around and K. 24/7 stuck on a couch was… not what I hoped for.

I guess my attitude would be completely different if Kerry was a one night stand. (And yes, I noticed that there are no males among one night stands. Why?) It’s not that I cannot see his inner demons, his inability to talk about them directly. I think there’s much more to offer. I would like to see him and V had more time to grow attached, to open up, to see this relationship fully developed, not stuck halfway.

As I said before, the timing is not very convenient, the pace of storytelling is broken-down, your gradually worsening condition is frozen ex machina and all of this breaks immersion, like, A LOT.

Instant friendship with River didn’t engage me at all. Too many shortcuts. I won’t elaborate on his construction, I didn’t play fem V, but I still see there’s no room for developing anything deep between the two of them during gameplay.

Please, fellow players, don’t say it’s not a dating sim. WE KNOW. I could agree with you on that aspect if everyone from The Romanceable Four was served equally ‘undercooked’. And yes, there’s no need to meet all of LIs in the very first minute of gameplay, but c’mon, just before a point of no return? If there’s no way to make all romance options equal ‘because it’s not a dating sim’… why to bother at all and put any of them in this game?

The fact that River and Kerry are not the part of the main story seems strange to me from the perspective of plot construction but okay, not gonna argue that this is the one and only proper way. ;) Still, I truly believe that it is possible to write a scenario where Kerry’s and River’s lifepaths meet with V’s smoothly, they have a real impact on his/her life and vice versa.

I do want my slice of escapism, and I don’t want it to be thinner than the other’s.

Also:

Why would Kerry interact with V before Johnny introduces them? – folks before me already suggested some explanations, I can add one more: when you call Dino Dinovic and tell him you’re in the mood to party, he says something about Kerry setting up one and he’ll get you in. For me personally K. could be introduced by one of the fixers. Even if not strictly by sending V a job offer, but with Dino – the door is already wide open. Just a thought.

There’s no place for those men in this plot means only that the plot is half-baked.

Judy and Panams plotline exists irrelevant to romance – and I see no reason why it couldn’t be the same for River and Kerry.

Because they didnt manage to put the female love interests into the main story. They were already there. – sounds like they were forced to work on a half ready scenario and it’s a miracle that they still managed to put those men into it. :D If a character feels forced and unnecessary it says something about their construction and construction of the storyline.

Top Bottom