Save files are corrupted

+
All this crap screams Alpha to me. The more I play, the more it feels like it. We all paid for an Alpha build of the game, on all platforms. I mean it is so obvious. There is no way the game is purposely designed to corrupt save files, no game would do that. This is a bug which is planned to be fixed in the final version of the game. I know in Witcher 3 I was hoarding items and the inventory took time to load, but the save was fine. It should be the same here, or there should be a hard-lock where you can't pick up more items if you already have too many. So this will be patched, but it's very existence speaks volumes about the magnitude of this deception. The least they could do is be honest about it instead of coming up with explanations like "we don't do games that are supposed to have NG+++++". Really?

Has anyone else noticed how grenades are bugged when you disassemble them in your inventory? I feel like that might have something to do with this issue. I saw that some people were crafting grenades then disassembling them to get more components than they put in.

I think I just solved the mystery for everyone. Fix the grenade problem.

That's literally just how the crafting economy is built in this game. There's no cost equivalence to what you put in VS what you get out of it when you break it back down. Heck, there's a couple of perks that just aware free components randomly or have a % chance to build the item for completely free, meaning you spend NO components.

I think a part of it lies in what they mod said, that for some reason every item in a stack has a unique ID? I don't know if that's how game normally do it, but I don't think I ever would, not in all the time I've dabbled in making my own games.

Will selling off inventory items reduce the save game size or is the save game stuck with the data even after reducing the inventory? Some Bethesda games had this issue. Mod makers came out with tools to reduce the save game file.
The way I see it the save file stores many variables not just for what is in your inventory, but also what you did in the game. So the more you advance in the story, the more stuff you do, will be stored in the save file. I suspect if you do everything in the game with an empty inventory and still be under 8mb, you won't have much room for storage before the save gets corrupted.

That's literally just how the crafting economy is built in this game. There's no cost equivalence to what you put in VS what you get out of it when you break it back down. Heck, there's a couple of perks that just aware free components randomly or have a % chance to build the item for completely free, meaning you spend NO components.

I think a part of it lies in what they mod said, that for some reason every item in a stack has a unique ID? I don't know if that's how game normally do it, but I don't think I ever would, not in all the time I've dabbled in making my own games.
Dismantle a grenade, get a jug of milk :D

There is no excuse for a bug like this!

For all we know it's a design work-around for an engine limitation, but in either of those cases 1) your design if flawed, and 2) you shouldn't even be attempting to make a game like this with an engine that has this sort of limitation.

This genre has existed for decades, and several companies have successfully made open world games without issues like this. At least not without a serious contribution from their modding communities. Ah! And imagine how much this issue is going to impact modders when they attempt to add things like items and features to the game, it's going to prevent that community from every flourishing like it has with Elder Scrolls or Fallout.

Once again, please remember that Moderators are just long-time Forum members that CDPR has asked to help keep things friendly and orderly in the Forums. We're not developers and our opinions and attempts to help process technical issues here aren't official statements from CDPR (as is clearly stated in the Forum Regulations). Our advice and attempts to help mitigate issues until more permanent solutions can be found by the developers are just that, us trying to be helpful and give suggestions in the short term.

Also, please remember that the first rule of the forums in to treat others with kindness and respect. Personal attacks are not okay against any Forum member. Finally, "commentary on the quality of other people's posts" is not the topic of the thread.

Last edited:
All this crap screams Alpha to me. The more I play, the more it feels like it. We all paid for an Alpha build of the game, on all platforms. I mean it is so obvious. There is no way the game is purposely designed to corrupt save files, no game would do that. This is a bug which is planned to be fixed in the final version of the game. I know in Witcher 3 I was hoarding items and the inventory took time to load, but the save was fine. It should be the same here, or there should be a hard-lock where you can't pick up more items if you already have too many. So this will be patched, but it's very existence speaks volumes about the magnitude of this deception. The least they could do is be honest about it instead of coming up with explanations like "we don't do games that are supposed to have NG+++++". Really?

I agree entirely! If this was a design feature, where they wanted a hard limit on the save file size, and that you couldn't possibly do anything, in a REAL game, they'd have something in-game that acted as a fail safe to prevent file corruption. We as the players, would likely never know it was going on to prevent that issue, we'd just assume that's the way the game was designed. It would be things like...limited stacks (only allowing for so many of a certain item to be crafted and stored), limited inventory slots in your stash, a much more severe carry weight system, no way to get free items or more components than you put in, etc. These wouldn't just be balancing factors, they'd prevent a major bug from happening, and we wouldn't be the wiser. You'd never let a flaw show through this blatantly on a mainstream product!

All of this just shows how unfinished this game is. They don't even have the proper fail safe measures in place yet.

The metaphore might be the dumbest thing I have ever heard a developer say "Patient: Doctor it hurts when I do this.
Doctor: Stop doing that."

This problem is as crucial so I would say that what you really are saying is "Patient: It hurts when I breathe.
Doctor: Stop breathing!"

Well, in all fairness it won't be priority 1. Priority 1 would be to get CP2077 back in the PS store, because this hurts their sales bad. Our issue, while definitely annoying currently doesn't hurt them that much. At the moment, only 393 users have downvoted this advice:

I assume not even every user is going to get a refund so this doesn't cost them much money. The PS store does though. I'm not saying they won't fix it or that it isn't on their list (we don't really know anything official currently), but I believe their focus hasn't shifted.

Well, that just means we need to start refunding it until they do fix this, then it'll affect their bottom line just fine.
Post automatically merged:

We can only hope that this is now an issue that prevents it from being greenlight. This would force it to be top priority.

When people refund their game with PSN, they should mention this very issue for their reason why.

Ah, so this is... Disappointing.
I just hope enough noise was made for this to be addressed quickly, I mean, I can live with bugs until patches start rolling out, but this shit.. this is game breaking

I've been following this post, silently, since the beginning and refreshing it every day, reading the input here. THere's a lot of good information here, however, I feel like everyone was so quick to dismiss Sigilfey for his hot take about how to work around the issue, that they failed to even consider the valuable information he provided in one of his responses. I know a lot of people want to hate on the mods and the company right now, but, anyone interested in the history of this issue should read this.

Sigilfey linked to a post from The Witcher 3 forums made in 2017 that highlights the extensive testing done to uncover why saved games were going corrupt. Back then, they weren't hitting a size limit, but, they were hitting something else just as terminal, and it all stems from the REDengines handling of itemIDs. Back then, during the testing, the user that did all of this testing called this a runestone bomb, because it was best duplicated with runestones.

In The Witcher 3, the REDengine assigns a unique itemID for every single item you come across, even swords that are the same sword with the same stats, even stackable items. Every runestone got it's own itemID. The engine didn't see a stack of 1000 runestones as one item stacked 1000 times, but a stack of 1000 unique itemIDs. This is only part of the problem. Another issue the engine has, is, whenever you get rid of items, or keep them in your inventory whatever, every time you save and reload your game, that stack of 1000 runestones? It got 1000 MORE unique itemIDs, and the old itemIDs were not released from your save file inventory. They existed as ghost items.

So what players in The Witcher 3 were running in to, was an issue where, over time and after hoarding everything not nailed down, their save would surpass the 16bit integer used for itemIDs, which is 65,536. When this happened, your save would be corrupted because it would cause an itemID overflow, rendering the save file unreadable.

It's important to know about the history of this issue because I believe it plays a critical role in the current issue we're having now. Players who are getting corrupted saves smaller than 8MB are potentially surpassing the 65,536 limit for itemIDs on their saves, rendering their saves unreadable. Everyone else is hitting the max file size for saves, as noted in earlier posts where the EOF is not being written to the save file, like it magically gets cut off.

The problem, is that every unique itemID is causing save file bloat. The solution is obviously some kind of garbage collector process that removes these ghost itemIDs attached to our character inventories.

However, CDPR has known about this issue, because it was brought to their attention during The Witcher3 days, and yet the issue persisted when they improved REDengine 3 to 4. Why? Both answers will likely make your heart sink.

Either they CAN'T fix it, because it's some kind of inherent flaw tied to the engine that will completely break the way it handles inventory, or, they WON'T fix it, because doing so would cause irreparable harm to the way the inventory system functions, so much so that it would cost them a lot of time and money to fix, more so than correcting the issues on console.

I don't believe this issue was left in maliciously. I believe that, if they were even aware of this issue, they never imagined that people would either 1.) Hit the save file size limit, or 2.) Would exceed the 65,536 itemID limit. While it's short-sighted, again, I don't believe this is a malicious thing. I believe there's a reason for why the engine handles itemIDs this way, and I also believe that there's a reason why this issue has persisted since the days of TW3, maybe even earlier.

All of this is a hypothesis based on the testing done in the post SigilFey linked to way earlier in this post. You can find that post HERE and I would advise anyone and everyone read this post, because I believe this engine related issue is at the very core of what is going on.

Thank you for coming to my Ted Talk.

The solution would be to design your inventory system, and crafting system AROUND this flaw with fail safe measures in place to prevent it from happening at all. Instead, they either outright didn't do that, or didn't have the time to get that fully implemented. If you're aware of a flaw like this, the last thing you want to do is have it showing out there for the whole world to see. It shouldn't be an issue for the players to the point of corrupting their save.

Well, that just means we need to start refunding it until they do fix this, then it'll affect their bottom line just fine.
Post automatically merged:

When people refund their game with PSN, they should mention this very issue for their reason why.
Except no one can even confirm this is affecting the PS version. Only PC is confirmed. So that would make it a flat out lie. There's already far better reasons for refunding the PS version.

So hopefully this turns into something, but...

On the UEG YouTube video that was linked earlier, a PC user claims to have a file at 13mb with zero corruption. I have screenshots of this too that I have attached. I would suggest maybe someone go to the video and try talking to him? I asked if he meant hisxsave folder or a single sav.dat file. No response from him yet. I did suggest he come here to inform this thread of his file. Unsure if he will.

EDIT: I am the individual named OmegaZenoir talking to him.

Attachments

• Capture+_2020-12-21-20-19-24.png
    Capture+_2020-12-21-20-19-24.png
    342.5 KB · Views: 257
  • Capture+_2020-12-21-20-19-30.png
    Capture+_2020-12-21-20-19-30.png
    354.2 KB · Views: 232
So CDPR is telling us to not use the crafting system, or loot too much, or do too much of the content in their gigantic open world RPG? What the hell did they intend for people to do? Why is there even a crafting system at all if its going to break my game? This is pathetic.

I'm reminded over and over again that they've never made a game like this before. This feels like a lot of experimentation, without enough time to properly test and refine any of it. It's like the Witcher 2, with all its jank and weird handling of information/data. On the plus side, if they work all of this out and don't sink, this could mean that the sequel to CP2077 is like another Witcher 3 success XD

So hopefully this turns into something, but...

On the UEG YouTube video that was linked earlier, I saw a PC user who claims to have a file at 13mb with zero corruption. I have screenshots of this too that I have attached. I would suggest maybe someone go to the video and try talking to him?

EDIT: I am the individual named OmegaZenoir talking to him.

My cyberpunk 2077 save file is 130+ mbs.

Means nothing unless the person can prove the actual sav.dat file is as large as they say. And tbh... the way they come off with their comment, I'm not sure I would trust the screenshot not to be altered.

My cyberpunk 2077 save file is 130+ mbs.

Means nothing unless the person can prove the actual sav.dat file is as large as they say. And tbh... the way they come off with their comment, I'm not sure I would trust the screenshot not to be altered.

Yeah that's a good point. I wasn't trying to be a dick to him. Just giving out info on this topic in regards to PC and console save info. But his "curb your enthusiasm" came off aggressive.

I'm merely a 32 yr old guy ho enjoys gaming like all of us do. And I'm not out to be a dick to anyone. I just want everyone to enjoy this game no matter their platform and am just trying to spread accurate info and gathering any info that I can that could help.

Last edited:
I didn't use an item duplication glitch. I just bought $10 canned drinks and disassembled them for common and uncommon crafting components. Then I crafted a lot of Nekomata Guns and sold them for $145 each.
You get 154xp in crafting for each gun you create. It only took making 6 guns to reach level 2 in crafting.
If you have a lot of saves and want to load one BEFORE you started crafting. Use this method I discovered.
Open any folder on your pc.
Paste the following into the address bar in the folder and press ENTER.
%userprofile%\Saved Games\CD Projekt Red\Cyberpunk 2077
This will take you to your Cyberpunk 2077 save files.
The saves are called ManualSave and AutoSave and are numbered.
Open any folder and you will see a file called metadata.9.json.
Open metadata.9.json with NotePad.
There is a lot of info about your character. Look for crafting.
If it lists "crafting": 1.0, that's the save you want to use.
My next save listed "crafting": 7.0,
I loaded the "crafting": 1.0, save and saw I had
$14,269
527 common crafting components
288 uncommon crafting components
crafting level 1
I then loaded the "crafting": 7.0, save and saw I had
$17,839
1155 common crafting components
15 uncommon crafting components
crafting level 7
The extra money came from selling the Nekomata Guns.
Crafting them brought the crafting level to 7.
I hope this helps in finding lower size save files before crafting too much.

The way I see it the save file stores many variables not just for what is in your inventory, but also what you did in the game. So the more you advance in the story, the more stuff you do, will be stored in the save file. I suspect if you do everything in the game with an empty inventory and still be under 8mb, you won't have much room for storage before the save gets corrupted.
I think the biggest confusion is that people think the file size grows linearly. Which is not the case. The biggest thing that increases the file size is discovering new areas. That is from tests in this very thread. Discovering all areas seems to bring people to around 5MBs. Crafting normally, doing 100% side quests, etc.. appears to add another 2MBs. People are freaking out because they don't understand that the game normally uses 5MBs just for the areas. That doesn't mean you will grow past the 8MB limit playing normally. Most people with this issue have done an exorbitant amount of crafting.

No excuses for CDPR because there should absolutely be a failsafe. But I must stress that normally playing the game doesn't appear to breach the 8MB threshold.

This should not be acceptable. May wrongly expressed, but not acceptable, okay, it's a bug, then fix it, take your time, but just fix it, it's supposed to "expand" the game with DLC, how? We couldn't play if our save files got corrupt. Why not let players the time what the want? Thats disgusting for the user exp.

With that said you aren't helping on the current situation, it's supposed to be played! Which sense has the progression system, leveling and so on, if you're just able to play a "couple of hours"? It's not a PSX/Sega/Super Nintendo game where you finish the game and go another one, that time has gone. I just hope the devs consider other ways and try to overcome the current state.

BUT -- considering that CP2077 probably works similarly to TW3, Bethesda games, Bioware titles, etc. -- this also happens to your inventory whenever you save --> reload a game. First, the game reads your save file. It loads an "active" version of your inventory into RAM, and assigns new ItemIDs to every single piece of your inventory from top to bottom. It re-saves those larger numbers for every new save / quicksave, and they become the new default. This is how a program can correctly load older savegames. It compares the newer numbers with the older ones, and chooses the older, smaller number instead. (Computers can't "think", and items in your inventory are not "guns" and "medkits" to the computer. They're collections of data that it needs to be able to tell apart from one another using a numerical expression.)

Not all games are designed for unlimited, endless play. Not all games are designed for NG++++ etc. CP2077, as of now, seems to have been designed with upper limits in place (likely to avoid issues elsewhere in the engine, just like TW3).

The workaround for now?

Don't do it. Play the game until the end, then start a new game. Don't continue saving and reloading the same character for too long. Don't craft thousands of items at once.

Is that ideal? No. And hopefully it can be worked out in the future. Although...maybe not. No game that CDPR has ever created has ever been designed for ongoing, unlimited play. (NG+ was added into TW3 after its release; it was never intended. It was extremely difficult to get working without major issues, is capped at level 100, still gets wildly weird at higher levels, and there is no NG++. It can only be done once per playthrough.) CDPR designs their games with a finite structure: with a beginning, a middle, and an end. They are not meant to be played on and on like Dark Souls, GTA, or an MMO. They're meant to be restarted from the beginning with a new character and played differently. Love it or loathe it, that's the design.

So, for right now, the best step is not to put the game in this sort of situation. It's the nature of the machine. Or, more classically:

Patient: "Doctor! Doctor! It really hurts when I do this!"
Doctor: "Then, don't do that."

Now, the treatment can begin.

Top Bottom