So it begins... [December Patch Preview]

+
Northern Realms finally getting the nerf they deserve. Good. I've been having difficulties against them specifically all season.

Now, I just need to worry about Artifact none-sense that still occurs.

What you wrote makes sense to me. I think what we are seeing on these forums over time is the slow long drawn out acceptance that Gwent is dead. Homecoming will die and probably at a faster rate then I projected. Maybe 6 months at this rate.

Why this happened is most interesting to me. I strongly suspect something seriously went wrong on the back end that is embrassing to Project Red. Maybe multiple somethings. The direction they took reflects one of two things to me: Either they realized they do not have the skill to make this game competitive and used homecoming as a way out of continuing the project. Or they hired really stupid people to remake this game based on bad principles for reasons that are mysterious to me. This may actually be tied to thier desperation of Thronebreaker. A great game where the mechanics work in single player and fail at the highest level in multiplayer. The need to tie this to multiplayer will never make sense to me. The mechanics are so incredibly bad in HC I have no idea how this got out of beta testing. The game is broken and cannot be fixed. This patch update they plan on releasing is a joke and really barely does anything significant. I have a feeling Project Red knows it and is too embarassed to admit failure. I think the stench of this disaster will affect them far into the future.

Taken from Burzas sneak peek balance comment

Xavier will be a 12 provision card with the effect "banish up to 3 cards from your opponents (or your) graveyard"
Don't know if his strength will be changed, for such a high prov cost I would assume yes

I wish they did something more to Froth. People are complaining about Xavier (rightfully so), but Froth, even with the prov cost adjustment is still more problematic.

Why? Because of indirect ways of playing high prov. cards: in SK Froth, Froth costs 14, but can be replayed (or played before, to be precise) with Triss TK for 11pt, with added, body; Gremist is what? 6 or 7 cost? Again, with body; and then Lippy, to replay all of this easily, costing like 8 prov...

I know Regis is a good counter. DD and a few other row damages can work, but only if you hit with them before Froth.

And about the indirect ways of replaying high prov cost cards - Froth is just the loudest example, there are others, which im not sure if it's supposed to be like that, but it feels unbalanced.

So nothing will be done about 3 to 4 damage bronzes that effectively cancel another 4+ points worth of abilities? Having 10+ point bronzes that cost 4-6 provision is just bananas. CDPR still have no clue what they are doing aside from addressing the obvious cards like Xavier, Eithne, witchers and artifacts.

Last edited:
I always had the doubt. SK is CDPR's favourite faction. They will nerf everything and leave SK broken with an explanation that 'With SK being strong, when everyone uses it, people will create counter decks and make it weak'. When SK can consistently thin to 0, how they can keep the moral high ground and saying that 'We will have less tutors'. It is extremely ridiculous. When every other faction is forced to include W3 for thinning, SK can thin to 0 with synergy card. I like HC, but this unconditional love CDPR shows to SK is getting my nerves.
/EndOfRant
/FingersCrossedTillWeSeeFullPatchNotes
There used to be actual faction identity and architypes all of which are almost gone. Skellige at least has some identity (OK 1 deck identity) every card with other faction needs a redesign to actually make them unique again.

So Eithne goes from pinging units R1 to not pinging units R1, taking it through other means, dry-passing R2 (typical) and getting not 3 but 4 charges R3? Heh....

Any mention of leader mulligan adjustments? Those need to happen like now.

lolll let's take away all her pings then!

Not pinging units R1, taking it through other means, dry-passing R2 (typical), not pinging units R3 and taking it through other means.

I understand that people have grown to hate her, but let's be reasonable. There are much more grotesque decks out there than Eithne control.

lolll let's take away all her pings then!

Not pinging units R1, taking it through other means, dry-passing R2 (typical), not pinging units R3 and taking it through other means.

I understand that people have grown to hate her, but let's be reasonable. There are much more grotesque decks out there than Eithne control.

Not sure if you got my meaning. It was 9 pings but barring a R1 loss it was typically 6. Even with a R1 loss only certain decks tend to benefit from pushing Eithne R2, as you're probably giving it 3 pings, or 3 points. Droppiing it to 4 total is a nerf, no doubt. If Eithne takes R1 without burning pings, which is possible, it gets 4 R3.

It's a bad nerf.

Brouver gets three 2 damage pings with a move. He is likely going to be objectively superior unless Eithne can consistently hit R3 without burning many, if any, pings. Even then he will likely still be superior. Points and damage are points and damage. You can make up for the loss of pin point line-up accuracy you get with 1 damage pings in other ways.

It's completely inconsistent with the value on other leaders. I know people fixate on the line-up ability but it's still inconsistent.

It's overkill. The main problem was individual single point pings. The nerf just means you lose some or all ability to leverage it for one or two rounds. It doesn't address the root problem. Once again a powerful, over-represented concept gets hit with an excessive, easy fix. The root problem remains unaddressed.

Similar arguments could be made for other nerfs. Whomever has final say on these areas needs to do a better job or quit lunging for the easy fix.

Not sure if you got my meaning. It was 9 pings but barring a R1 loss it was typically 6. Even with a R1 loss only certain decks tend to benefit from pushing Eithne R2, as you're probably giving it 3 pings, or 3 points. Droppiing it to 4 total is a nerf, no doubt. If Eithne takes R1 without burning pings, which is possible, it gets 4 R3.

It's a bad nerf.

Brouver gets three 2 damage pings with a move. He is likely going to be objectively superior unless Eithne can consistently hit R3 without burning many, if any, pings. Even then he will likely still be superior. Points and damage are points and damage. You can make up for the loss of pin point line-up accuracy you get with 1 damage pings in other ways.

It's completely inconsistent with the value on other leaders. I know people fixate on the line-up ability but it's still inconsistent.

It's overkill. The main problem was individual single point pings. The nerf just means you lose some or all ability to leverage it for one or two rounds. It doesn't address the root problem. Once again a powerful, over-represented concept gets hit with an excessive, easy fix. The root problem remains unaddressed.

Similar arguments could be made for other nerfs. Whomever has final say on these areas needs to do a better job or quit lunging for the easy fix.

Sorry, I thought you meant she would become OP in round 3.

I agree that it's a bad nerf and I'm afraid it's gonna wind up making her obsolete. I mean yeah, there's a million other ways to line up units (Saesenthessis, Braenn, Milaen, some bronzes, spears, etc.), but then why play her at all? Might as well go for Brouver for some extra damage and possible movement synergy, or for Francesca and drop some devastating double spells.

I think this game has too shaky a foundation to build upon and all efforts to balance it will ultimately fail, unless we go back to a build which make sense. My opinion.

I also agree that we need a review of the mulligan system asap.

BTW, will we get some video with preview for the patch/update/whatever, or CDPR had dropped doing those at all?

Top Bottom