So... what about the modding toolkit?

+
So... what about the modding toolkit?

Almost two months since release and I'm actually worried as nothing's been said about the promised toolkit... Some minor mods are appearing over at the nexus, but nothing fancy and more do-it-yourself stuff rather than actual mods. Most of them can't even work together as they modify the same files.

I know TW3 isn't especially mod friendly in essence but it has potential for some nice things! Fallout 4 is due to november and the modding community priorities are gonna shift completely to this game, leaving TW3 in some sort of void phase (it happened with TW2 when the modkit took FAR too long to be released).

Would be nice to hear about this ;)

I aspect modding tools someday between now and next year. The team that is responsible for the expansions is not the same guys that work on making an engine and tools. And the engine is "done". So I expect that the engineers from CDPR are prepping the moddingtools.

I created a thread about reading the books a day or two ago now. One of the people in the thread commented that they're on a team that is going to be over seeing a whole bunch of "real" mod's that are going to add quest's that will be directly pulled from the books themselves. That's exciting, although, I doubt I will ever get to play them as I'm a console dude....

It was me, Mirko. We're already writing the dialogues, collecting voice actors, etc.

And I feel the same about Redkit. I'd hate to see what could be a great modding scene get clobbered by Fallout 4 with a late release of Redkit 2. I'd take a beta release over waiting for perfection.

And as far as the mods we can do right now go, it's basically anything xml related. If you have two mods that don't play well together, you can manually edit the xml files to make them work together. There's a guy making a sort of mod organizer for it too, which I'm told will have a built in xml generator to make them play nice together too.

Also, there are some really awesome ones, despite us being able to do so little. Better Combat (and Better Combat Enhanced) rebalances combat to make it much harder for those of us who've begun to have very little challenge even in Death March. And also fixes the leveling curve in the Enhanced version. There's also a REALLY cool Gwent rebalancing mod that makes all the decks viable options, instead of Northern Realms being the obvious best deck. It even unlocks some deleted card artwork!

But back to the point. I really, really hope we can get a Redkit2 beta release some time in the near future. With all the rumors floating around about that toolkit, I'm drooling over it.

Edit: And yeah - I'm sorry Mirko. Modding for console is still not a thing. Get yourself a good gaming PC and your entire world will change. I built a new one for Witcher 3 and Dragon Age: Inquisition's releases, and only spent about 900$. Used stuff and I run all the next gen games in "High" if not "Ultra".

Last edited:
technically, mods could work for consoles, but would require some work from CDPR and approval from MS / Sony for each content added to the game. Some companies are starting to talk about mods coming for consoles, but to be honest, I think it will be such a hassle to handle this that only the most popular mods would be considered (and even then, it would probably come from some official modders choosed from the community). Well and obviously, all mods related to textures, enhanced graphics, new meshes and animations (like for skyrim) wouldn't EVER see the light of day on consoles (for obvious reasons!)

So yeah, some people are already calling victory on the mods coming to console, but they just don't know how it works on MS / Sony end.

But back on the subject, I don't see the Redkit 2 coming anytime soon. CDPR has still a load of work to do on TW3 and the 2 expansions, and some of the staff has already moved on to their next projetc (Cyberpunk 2077). Even with a done engine, a toolkit for modders is not an easy thing to deliver. And even if it would come some time before Fallout 4, the time modders masters the redkit, they'll have Fallout 4 in their hands and the familiar tools from Bethesda.

Guest 2364765

I'm dying to get my hands on REDKit 2 as well.
Seriously, CDPR, I'll take any Alpha/Beta/whatever version you can dish out.
Witcher 2 Redkit is still in beta AFAIK...

Honestly, i doubt that CDPR will have anything to share with us any earlier than release of 2nd expansion which is still like what, year away?

technically, mods could work for consoles, but would require some work from CDPR and approval from MS / Sony for each content added to the game. Some companies are starting to talk about mods coming for consoles, but to be honest, I think it will be such a hassle to handle this that only the most popular mods would be considered (and even then, it would probably come from some official modders choosed from the community). Well and obviously, all mods related to textures, enhanced graphics, new meshes and animations (like for skyrim) wouldn't EVER see the light of day on consoles (for obvious reasons!)

So yeah, some people are already calling victory on the mods coming to console, but they just don't know how it works on MS / Sony end.

But back on the subject, I don't see the Redkit 2 coming anytime soon. CDPR has still a load of work to do on TW3 and the 2 expansions, and some of the staff has already moved on to their next projetc (Cyberpunk 2077). Even with a done engine, a toolkit for modders is not an easy thing to deliver. And even if it would come some time before Fallout 4, the time modders masters the redkit, they'll have Fallout 4 in their hands and the familiar tools from Bethesda.

Honestly, let's hope they give us a beta. It's based off the last toolkit, as far as I know, so it's not like they're starting with nothing. Releasing a public alpha or beta is really the way to go. I don't see them keeping up with Fallout 4's modding otherwise.

---------- Updated at 12:33 AM ----------

Witcher 2 Redkit is still in beta AFAIK...

Honestly, i doubt that CDPR will have anything to share with us any earlier than release of 2nd expansion which is still like what, year away?

Let's hope not. Seriously. I would MUCH rather have mods and then have them not work with some patch and have to fix them than be stuck with the current moddability.

If CDPR doesn't get the modkit out while the game is still hot then it could be one of their biggest mistakes.

If CDPR doesn't get the modkit out while the game is still hot then it could be one of their biggest mistakes.

well they already did that mistake with Witcher 2 (mostly because they wanted to release the game on x360 so badly !)...

As for Witcher 3, my guess is they were so focused on the Console version optimisation, they completely put aside the redkit2 (as said console players wouldn't take profit from it) and now that they made so much money from consoles, they probably don't want to upset the players (and maybe MS / Sony) by delivering a tool that would make the PC version much more attractive... hence why we havn't heard about it from CDPR ;)

Just a wild guess ;)

Mod Kit ETA?

I'm hoping they release the mod kit this year and honestly not sure how long that would take to develop but if I remember correctly Skyrim's mod kit was released a few months after its release.

well they already did that mistake with Witcher 2 (mostly because they wanted to release the game on x360 so badly !)...

As for Witcher 3, my guess is they were so focused on the Console version optimisation, they completely put aside the redkit2 (as said console players wouldn't take profit from it) and now that they made so much money from consoles, they probably don't want to upset the players (and maybe MS / Sony) by delivering a tool that would make the PC version much more attractive... hence why we havn't heard about it from CDPR ;)

Just a wild guess ;)

Very wild. Totally out there and not true.

---------- Updated at 10:13 PM ----------

I'm hoping they release the mod kit this year and honestly not sure how long that would take to develop but if I remember correctly Skyrim's mod kit was released a few months after its release.

Most mod kits come a few months after. We're in prime mod kit time right now, actually. What everyone's saying is that if they had been planning on a later release, they should probably re-think that plan, as Fallout4 will be heavy competition.

Top Bottom