[Spoiler Alert] About the endings

+

Do you want more RPGs with happy endings?

• Total voters
I don't really get it why everyone thinks Aldecado ending is happy one. Alt pretty much seals the deal with V dying and replacing with copy and overexplains the soulkiller. Another thing, the goal of V really missmatches with the ending, never it was really mentioned that V wants to leave the city (unless I missed it). And the fact that you go out with your lover and supposedly new family to Arzinow or whatever just to die in 6 months of agonizing death and leave them alone without you? Yeah, in my head, this is a really sad ending pretending to be good ending.

But what the hell do I know, I'm just a random pleb, no idea what CDPR is thinking with this. We might get conclusions or we might get fuck all.
None of the endings are happy. I think the big problem comes from the concepts of soulkiller and the engrams. Engrams get treated like they're the real person in digital form. Issues only seem to arise when you use soulkiller on dead people or otherwise damaged brains. Johnny is treated like he's alive again, many characters have dialogue alluding to this.

But if you can't get over the fact that you do die when soulkiller is used - you loose your soul in all endings, this is a big plot point thing in the game - if you think V is just a copy and nothing else - then none of the endings will be neutral or good for you.
They will all be bad.

A sad and dramatic ending is not a bad ending. I'm tired of this confusion. Bad endings are endings with plot holes, logic leaps, or that don't make sense in the context of the narrative.

I like sad endings. The purpose of a narrative is not to make players happy, but satisfied. The endings are satisfied, because they are masterfully written. I just wish more choices were taken in considerations.

This is Night City, not Disneyland.

I feel lucky to have played a corpo destined for the Arasaka ending first. It gave me hope to play a second time with a Streetkid for a better ending. Right now, I just don't play anymore. Why force myself through bugs when I cannot get immersed right now anyway? I just wait until they (hopefully, but I think they will) fix it (most likely with an expansion). Then I can still have content I haven't played right now. (Like the Panam quests, wanted to save those for my Nomad playthrough, lol)
I had actually planned to play through all the lifepaths. I was super excited for this game, thought it would be like Dragon Age: Origins. I actually have 591.7 hours logged on steam (and I know I'll get more) for that. Unfortunately, that didn't pan out. All I can do is this corpo, there is no replayability here.

None of the endings are happy. I think the big problem comes from the concepts of soulkiller and the engrams. Engrams get treated like they're the real person in digital form. Issues only seem to arise when you use soulkiller on dead people or otherwise damaged brains. Johnny is treated like he's alive again, many characters have dialogue alluding to this.

But if you can't get over the fact that you do die when soulkiller is used - you loose your soul in all endings, this is a big plot point thing in the game - if you think V is just a copy and nothing else - then none of the endings will be neutral or good for you. They will all be bad.
Yup, shoulda left the "Soulkiller" part unexplained, would have been better.

But if you can't get over the fact that you do die when soulkiller is used - you loose your soul in all endings, this is a big plot point thing in the game - if you think V is just a copy and nothing else - then none of the endings will be neutral or good for you.
They will all be bad.
I think "soulkiller" is too vague or too literate, we don't know much, I think the fact that it kills your soul is too literate, else wouldn't we become like Delamain? A rogue AI basically..? There could be a whole debate about souls making people human etc. at the same time we don't know fully what soulkiller does other than zap your soul, supposedly.. And I guess make an engram of you.

I'm just going to leave this here.

What is this suppose to say? You want games tailored for the masses? Or something deeper?

"Evil is vanquished and everybody is happy", what is this, Dragon Age?
Post automatically merged:

I kinda would have liked some good, some grey and some evil and some bad. they hade 7 endings... They dont all have to be one thing....

Then people would perceive the sad endings like punishments. Like it happened for The Witcher 3.

What is this suppose to say? You want games tailored for the masses? Or something deeper?

"Evil is vanquished and everybody is happy", what is this, Dragon Age?

Then people would perceive the sad endings like punishments. Like it happened for The Witcher 3.
And evil allways wins is deep to you? Sounds like just the reverse of the thing you hate.

Yeah, I'll probably get as close to 100% the game and/or just not do the ending, then shelve it for a pretty lengthy amount of time. Unless they can give me a reason to come back and replay it, I doubt I will, for awhile.
Same here. I got the endings spoiled for me and it just... made me not want to play anymore, knowing that no matter what I do, V will not get any kind of good endings.
For the same reason whenever I replay ME3, I dont go through the endings. I pretend Citadel DLC is the end lol.

I doubt that any DLC would add a happy ending.

For some reasons gaming companies think that gamers love tragic endings, drama, and death. Like.. I have enough drama in real life, can my character in this "RPG" at least get a shot at the happy life?

I'm just going to leave this here.

Its a bit unrelated but I feel like a rant - this happy ending aversion is really annoying me. At this point, no matter the media, games, movies, series, books, I just want some great ending. Hero gets the girl, the evil lord is indeed defeated, the few casualties were honourable, but overall the sun shines, and everyone lives happily ever after ... always? No, they had hard times, but also wonderful times...etc...

And in regards to RPGs ... give me back the good old peasant hero that turns out special and a villain that is not grey and dark grey and "oh, maybe the villain has a point after all!" - No, give me friggin Palpatines, M- Bisons (to rule the world - OF COURSE!). With big boss battles in the end, without me having to sacrifice ANYONE, not myself, not my loved ones, not my allies, no tough choices to make - just a blade to the villain's black heart, then a nice ending montage with hero marrying or whatever...

Stop trying to outdo GRR Martin and co. Stop trying to be C. Nolan and suck the fun and joy out of everything...

Hate to bring it up again and again ... but boy, did I love the ending of Mass Effect 1. Saren defeated, Sovereign a wreckage, the Geth beaten back and still evil machines...and then...the almost final shot. Where is Shepard? Is she dead...? No, there she comes, holding her broken arm, and a smirk on her face...against all odds she won and saved the Galaxy ...

That is an ending I could watch again and again. Because it left me with a feel of triumph and "accomplishment" (sorry EA, hope you got it not trademarked)

TL, DR - do something original, developers and writers! Go back to the good old "cheesy" stories and dump grimdark!

I kinda would have liked some good, some grey and some evil and some bad. they hade 7 endings... They dont all have to be one thing....
I still don't understand why they didn't go this route. Get the ending based on the choices you made throughout the game. Some bad. Some good. Some ambiguous. Why do all the endings MUST have the same outcome more or less.

It's boggles my mind.

Da: o has som really bad endings to if you look at it. You can die, but atleast your death ment something. They even dident go back on the dead hero of ferelden in the expansion. you would have to make a new char that wasent the hero. The rest of the bioware games allways has some dark undertones too. it isent disney endings, alteast not all of them.

And evil allways wins is deep to you? Sounds like just the reverse of the thing you hate.
I actually think this has become more of a cliché, than the reverse. It's in like everything nowadays. I'll parrot it again, dark for dark's sake.

Da:eek: has som really bad endings to if you look at it. You can die, but atleast your death ment something. They even dident go back on the dead hearo of ferelden in the expansion. you would have to make a new char that wasent the hero. The rest of the bioware games allways has some dark undertones too. it isent disney endings, alteast not all of them.
Back when they actually made good RPGs. :cry:

Same here. I got the endings spoiled for me and it just... made me not want to play anymore, knowing that no matter what I do, V will not get any kind of good endings.
For the same reason whenever I replay ME3, I dont go through the endings. I pretend Citadel DLC is the end lol.

I doubt that any DLC would add a happy ending.

For some reasons gaming companies think that gamers love tragic endings, drama, and death. Like.. I have enough drama in real life, can my character in this "RPG" at least get a shot at the happy life?
Damn right!

Its a bit unrelated but I feel like a rant - this happy ending aversion is really annoying me. At this point, no matter the media, games, movies, series, books, I just want some great ending. Hero gets the girl, the evil lord is indeed defeated, the few casualties were honourable, but overall the sun shines, and everyone lives happily ever after ... always? No, they had hard times, but also wonderful times...etc...

And in regards to RPGs ... give me back the good old peasant hero that turns out special and a villain that is not grey and dark grey and "oh, maybe the villain has a point after all!" - No, give me friggin Palpatines, M- Bisons (to rule the world - OF COURSE!). With big boss battles in the end, without me having to sacrifice ANYONE, not myself, not my loved ones, not my allies, no tough choices to make - just a blade to the villain's black heart, then a nice ending montage with hero marrying or whatever...

Stop trying to outdo GRR Martin and co. Stop trying to be C. Nolan and suck the fun and joy out of everything...

Hate to bring it up again and again ... but boy, did I love the ending of Mass Effect 1. Saren defeated, Sovereign a wreckage, the Geth beaten back and still evil machines...and then...the almost final shot. Where is Shepard? Is she dead...? No, there she comes, holding her broken arm, and a smirk on her face...against all odds she won and saved the Galaxy ...

That is an ending I could watch again and again. Because it left me with a feel of triumph and "accomplishment" (sorry EA, hope you got it not trademarked)

TL, DR - do something original, developers and writers! Go back to the good old "cheesy" stories and dump grimdark!

Ooh I remember having full body chills at the end of ME1!

And I agree, for some reason every game these days need to have a tragic ending. But like... not everyone wants that? Is it really so hard to give people options?

I still don't understand why they didn't go this route. Get the ending based on the choices you made throughout the game. Some bad. Some good. Some ambiguous. Why do all the endings MUST have the same outcome more or less.

It's boggles my mind.
Makes every single thing you did throughout the game meaningless, if all the endings lead to the same outcome. Really does boggle the mind.

Having an option of different endings (bad/middle/good) gives people a choice, way to play their character they want. And even if they don't, getting bad ending at first time, you might be pleased and if not, you go for the better one another go. Different endings gives game longevity and a much bigger player base than just having one type of endings just for the sake of it. Best example, imagine TW3 would have endings where Ciri dies in 3 different ways. Would that be good for a story, for a game? I highly doubt it.

It's like people these days are so up their asses with deep and dark endings it's really getting out of hand. Look at The Last Of Us, what a shit show that thing is, yet quite a lot of people praised it because its "deep" and "sad".

Another thing, if the game is meant for multiple playthroughs, hence giving you different starting options or different dialogue options, what's the fkn point of playing through the game again and get the same ending?

Anyway, off to bed, already spent too much time here today, have fun bois and gals.

We have 6 bad endings, and one good one.
The good one is not a certain death sentence for V, theres a perfect opportunity here for DLC or a complete sequel in which V can be free to live out her life with her family and wife. Indeed it seemed left open for a continuation of some kind, be it DLC (which I would happily pay for), or a sequel covering the exodus of the Aldecaldos.

Chin up people, I was super happy with that ending, and immediately thought there was bound to be more to that loose end.

Top Bottom