(SPOILERS FROM WITCHER 2) Is using the save files from Witcher 2 working?

+
(SPOILERS FROM WITCHER 2) Is using the save files from Witcher 2 working?

Dear... everyone I guess!

I've had certain encounters up until Novigrad now, that made me question If my save files from witcher 2 that I've played in April this year, are correct...

I mean, It seems that WItcher 3 isn't reading the save files correctly... OR... (And this is likely) I'm an idiot and don't know that Geralt knew these people in the first place.

So back in witcher 2 (Apparently?) you met Phillipa's assistant or whoever, I wouldn't know though, I choose Roche's path. I won't go too much into who I met and whatever, but the thing with the assistant Is In the Characters Section, where you read char infornation after a certain encounter in Novigrad, It reads "geralt knew her well etc. etc." yet I'd have only met her If I was on that other guys path, the elf. Or has Geralt always known her?

But one thing I think everyone is aware of, or most are and is not a big spoiler... Is the tattoo you'd get back in Flotsam is still on my character in Witcher 3, and I am VERY sure I got it removed in Chapter 2 from the local wizard there who could remove It besides Triss who could remove It in Flotsam after giggling at me for It... damn woman :D still love her..

Anyway! The tattoo thing which I saw from the start was my first worry of "Save files from Witcher 2 not being read correctly by Witcher 3" and me being a story kind of lover, especially Witcher It worried me. Is this something I can correct, Is it a known bug or am I just missing something I didn't consider?

Thanks! Big fan - Dan

I'd like to push this thread back up because I have a similar problem. After 40 hours of playing, I realized that I might have chosen the wrong savegame. When asked to pick one, there was a list of all the 2 million savegames I made in TW2, and I believed they were sorted chronologically. So I chose the last one. I now learned that they are sorted alphabetically and the save I used was a manual save - if you scroll right to the top of the list, you find the autosaves. There was one autosave with a later date than the one I chose. So in conclusion, I fear the game might not have recognized my manual save and simulated a generic world state. Does anyone know about how saves from TW2 are handled and if there is a way to change them afterwards? Also, shouldn't the game warn you if you didn't use the correct file?

Edit: Also, which decissions does the game take as "canon" if you choose a world state to be simulated?

Last edited:
For Philippa's assistant that you saw,
It's not the Nilfgaard's mage/spy. She's a merchant that was first in Mahakam, selling stuff and was also a hair dresser. You can see her in Loc Muinne, she's in the central place with other merchants. So yeah, Geralt is supposed to know her as when you talk with her, it's a 'friendly' relationship. She was an aspiring magician, and seeing her biography, I was a little bit confused too until I remembered her :p

But for other possible bugs, I didn't encounter yet some events that didn't happen in my previous saves. Maybe their save script reads if the tatoo ever existed, but not considering that you maybe deleted it ? Highly doubting that though :p

Last edited:
I'd like to push this thread back up because I have a similar problem. After 40 hours of playing, I realized that I might have chosen the wrong savegame. When asked to pick one, there was a list of all the 2 million savegames I made in TW2, and I believed they were sorted chronologically.
Pro tip: Move all not needed saves to other folder. Load W2 just before Letho fight, check if that's the right one > Finish game and load it for W3 you won't mess up since it will have today's date.
That's what I did.

I'd like to push this thread back up because I have a similar problem. After 40 hours of playing, I realized that I might have chosen the wrong savegame. When asked to pick one, there was a list of all the 2 million savegames I made in TW2, and I believed they were sorted chronologically. So I chose the last one. I now learned that they are sorted alphabetically and the save I used was a manual save - if you scroll right to the top of the list, you find the autosaves. There was one autosave with a later date than the one I chose. So in conclusion, I fear the game might not have recognized my manual save and simulated a generic world state. Does anyone know about how saves from TW2 are handled and if there is a way to change them afterwards? Also, shouldn't the game warn you if you didn't use the correct file?

Edit: Also, which decissions does the game take as "canon" if you choose a world state to be simulated?

Next time, pick more carefully :) Problem solved.

I definitely picked the most recent save game I had, I double checked and choose the Autosave, which had the latest date + time stamp on It. And I -did- play witcher 2 before the witcher 3 came out, made a few saves but those saves I didn't even see when I choose witcher 3 start.. which was odd..

@ Bunk67, thanks! I thought that'd be a big mess... and that's right, I remember her as well now. Still the tattoo thing makes me worried! But might just be a little bug, the other aspects of the Witcher 2 choices are so far correct in Witcher 3, they treat me with the knowledge of what I did in Witcher 2 so far - in my save games anyway.. so apart from that Tattoo (Bug I suppose) I guess nothing's wrong?

But that said, can I get It removed in witcher 3? Thanks!

Top Bottom