[SPOILERS] Soulkiller technology

+
And where the hell does that say Alt can "create souls"? Context here please. The point being a claim was made that Alt can "create souls". I asked for where this was stated. your answer does nothing to resolve that.

Engram <> soul.

What the hell are you talking about? If you create a thinking conscious personality construct then you've created a soul. This isn't rocket science.

Yes, it absolutely = soul.

when did she say it?

During the first meeting (Transmission). She alludes to it at least by saying it does what it says on the tin (Soulkiller kills the soul). V reaffirms it by saying something like "gotta kill me to save me".

It doesn't really mean anything because a soul isn't tangible or physical. It's a spiritual/religious concept. An AI should understand this but Alt can't seem to decide whether she's an AI or a human at any given moment. That or her thinking is still influenced by the echoes of her organic past.

A lot of what Alt says is cryptic for no real reason. When she was still connected to her body she still considered it as an avenue of escape, and that her original consciousness was still there. Even she considered herself as 'still alive' before Johnny botched it.

I dont have the answer, but I'm glad that the game is about it, and very happy to see that topic here.

During the first meeting (Transmission). She alludes to it at least by saying it does what it says on the tin (Soulkiller kills the soul). V reaffirms it by saying something like "gotta kill me to save me".

It doesn't really mean anything because a soul isn't tangible or physical. It's a spiritual/religious concept. An AI should understand this but Alt can't seem to decide whether she's an AI or a human at any given moment. That or her thinking is still influenced by the echoes of her organic past.

A lot of what Alt says is cryptic for no real reason. When she was still connected to her body she still considered it as an avenue of escape, and that her original consciousness was still there. Even she considered herself as 'still alive' before Johnny botched it.
she tells about killing soul not creating

Ah I understand it now. The game NEVER said it but YOU interpreted it that way. OK so it was your opinion and not the game. Got it.

I'm sorry but I actually have no idea what you're saying. This isn't hyperbole. What are you talking about? I don't know what you're objecting to, what your point was, or what you're asking.

Please explain.

The movie "Transcendence" with Johnny Depp goes over this in a good amount of detail. But ultimately I believe it's what you personally consider a "soul" to be.
I don't think that scientifically it can be answered through "yes or no" study, experimenting, and conclusion. With respect to Alt and her methods, we see how she turns out. She even states, "As a Netrunner, I was able to survive." But clearly through discussion with Silverhand and V Alt clarifies that she has simply "maintained" her awareness of her state within the Net. In other words, she is capable of registering actions and decisions in a logical format similar to Google's Sicamor Quantum Computer or NASNet respectfully.
My take on the whole "digital psyche" discussion is that Arasaka has laid out the format towards "holocrons" from Star Wars. 99.999~% of the psyches uploaded won't retain their former selves (Jackie only used repetitive phrases) whereas with Sakuro Arasaka himself we do see something akin towards actual personality transference BUT we don't know the man's history enough to say for sure since his lines are but a few from what we personally witnessed. Even when he's responding to the board member at the meeting he repeats a quote that the two of them shared.
The only "system" that shows complete successful transference of the psyche is, If I'm correct, Altered Carbon. But IIRC the show doesn't go into specifics of how the discs actually work. The show just blanket messages it with "this is a thing that exists and that's what you accept"
Another close take is the flash-cloned AI's in Halo. However, the problem there is the "lifetime" of an AI construct with Rampancy. Even though the brain of the creator has been copied, the AI is still governed mostly by binary coding. Are feelings expressed at times? Yes. But are these authentic, or responding to the original brain's interpretation of a scenario similar to the presented one the AI has encountered and the 1/0 response that is deemed most appropriate used?

To bring this point to a close I would acknowledge that Alt has done some intense "fighting" with other constructs or programs beyond the Blackwall that her Netrunner skills have granted her the ability to better infer what decisions are beneficial to her coding similar to an anti-virus program running constant checks. And when a beneficial or neutral program is encountered, she bases her decisions on its compatibility for her success.
Sorry for the long post. Love the game and all it represents. Cried at each ending cause of how much I loved my character and how I based my actions on my actual needs or desires in life. And I'm not ashamed to admitthis.

I'm sorry but I actually have no idea what you're saying. This isn't hyperbole. What are you talking about? I don't know what you're objecting to, what your point was, or what you're asking.

Please explain.
okay stop joking, we've got post-game therapy here

this thread is for lore and game facts with proofs and not personal interpretations
if something is not showed or said or written in book >>> it does not exist

Please explain.

The claim was made that Alt can create souls.

I and others asked where did Alt ever say she can CREATE SOOULS. These are the two keywords needed.

Answers were given that said the soul was destroyed and an engram was inserted back into the brain. You calimed this showed Alt can create souls when in fact the game never said that.

The claim was made that Alt can create souls.

I and others asked where did Alt ever say she can CREATE SOOULS. These are the two keywords needed.

Answers were given that said the soul was destroyed and an engram was inserted back into the brain. You calimed this showed Alt can create souls when in fact the game never said that.

I don't understand the distinction. What are you not understanding?

Guest 4531988

To verify whether something exists, you first have to know what it is you're talking about. The use of the word "soul" is easy. What a soul actually is, however, that's the question that needs to be answered first.

What it is? It is what "makes us Human". A defining trait that we have used to justify our place in the world. In the general sense of Science, it is the Brain, the part we don't understand fully. Religious and other views aside that is. In Science it's a political (Yes Religion is a form of politics) tool to Justify hierarchy of Humans actions on those without or those who "Tainted" their soul.

I don't understand the distinction. What are you not understanding?

You really don't understand the difference between a soul and an engram? Really?

I will repeat what I said before which is now even more obvious.

"the game NEVER said it but YOU interpreted it that way. OK so it was your opinion and not the game. "

Last edited:

Guest 4531988

These are from the wiki but not necessarily accurate, anyone can edit it:

But the wiki also contains this bit that didn't happen at all in my game, biochip Johnny sure thinks he's the original Johnny, so I would take it with a grain of salt:

It could also be Capgras syndrome while rare, it does occasionally manifest itself in believing yourself to be an imposter. It could just also be that Johnny considers his body more himself than whatever the engram pulled, where as Old Man Arasaka, and Probably Adam Smasher would disagree with Johnny on this. It's isn't clear, and depends on what humanity is, what makes you, you....

singularity is ai replication, your "soul" will cease to exist because you as a person will die. the engram is essentially just an artifiical intelligence copy of your memories and personality

It sounds like a logistics thing tbh. Easier to copy engrams onto a disposable chip and distribute that rather than having to invest into a bunch of conduits connected to the Soulkiller AI or whatever.

It takes time to rebuild neural pathways with nanomachines. You could most likely download an engram's knowledge into an empty brain, but memories and personality are basically dependent on neural pathways.
Post automatically merged:

If you read the info you get from Hellman its easy to see that Johnny and Saburo are just a copies as their artificial personality construct aren't equal to their original personalities.

Last edited:
I think that you are making a bizarre distinction given that one line before Alt says the two are identical.

What game did you play? Alt NEVER said the soul was identical to the engram. In fact Alt says the opposite at the black wall.

Now if Alt actually said this you should be able to fdind proof and post the link. I'll be waiting.

It takes time to rebuild neural pathways with nanomachines. You could most likely download an engram's knowledge into an empty brain, but memories and personality are basically dependent on neural pathways.
Post automatically merged:

If you read the info you get from Hellman its easy to see that Johnny and Saburo are just a copies as their artificial personality construct aren't equal to their original personalities.

Yeah I understood that to be true as well. During the board meeting it seems like it's convincing enough when Saburo roasts one of the board members for thinking it's a common parlor trick.

The interesting think about Johnny's copy is the ability for it to emulate the personality. To such an extent that it even "re-imagines" some of the memories so Johnny looks better when V peers into them. This SKAI sure is advanced techno-magic.

Yeah I understood that to be true as well. During the board meeting it seems like it's convincing enough when Saburo roasts one of the board members for thinking it's a common parlor trick.

The interesting think about Johnny's copy is the ability for it to emulate the personality. To such an extent that it even "re-imagines" some of the memories so Johnny looks better when V peers into them. This SKAI sure is advanced techno-magic.
The personality constructs are actually Relic 2.0 technology not Soul Killer tech, it can be applied to any engram regardless of what version of Soul Killer was used. Though most likely it uses data from the engram to construct the personality construct so without Soul Killer it couldn't exist.

Top Bottom