Starting NG+ at Lvl 54 - Questions

+
Starting NG+ at Lvl 54 - Questions

I have what I consider a 'perfect' save for NG+, with Geralt at lvl 54 after completing the main game and both expansions. If I start a new NG+ playthrough at lvl 54, what sorts of issues might I face? Will there be any items above 100?

I've heard complaints on this, but I'd like someone to comment on my specific case and clarify the situation.

I've done tests on PC and, yes, there are items (you can't equip), enemies and quests that out-level you (sometimes by a lot) even if you are level 100. The other day I encountered a level 110 drowner that was like a freakin' boss character it was so much tougher than my level 100 Geralt. Also, the quest tab for Hearts of Stone was set at level 132! Now, I don't play NGP but I play regular games with the "Enemy Upscaling" option on when I'm above level 40 or so.

I've done tests on PC and, yes, there are items (you can't equip), enemies and quests that out-level you (sometimes by a lot) even if you are level 100. The other day I encountered a level 110 drowner that was like a freakin' boss character it was so much tougher than my level 100 Geralt. Also, the quest tab for Hearts of Stone was set at level 132! Now, I don't play NGP but I play regular games with the "Enemy Upscaling" option on when I'm above level 40 or so.
Those numbers definitely don't seem normal to me.

hey
how about 52?
i used a save file at lvl 52! legit one
and started NG+

hope its fine that way! :D

From the numbers you posted above, can it be that the "Enemy Upscaling" feature is -lets say- malfunctioning?

---------- Updated at 11:00 PM ----------

Considering this:
http://forums.cdprojektred.com/thre...-requirement?p=2620291&viewfull=1#post2620291
<post 22>
...characters at Lv. 52 or Lv. 54 seems pretty normal for an NG+ play-through. (including the two DLCs)

A CDPR employee in a separate thread has posted that they play tested it and level 53 is fine.

Edit: should click links, beaten too it.

Last edited:
Even before patch 1.21.. when I was thinking about how I'd like to play Blood & Wine, I knew that the suggested B&W level for NG+ (68 ) was important.

I had no idea how much total XP the last DLC would give me, but I knew since this was going to be my final playthrough, that the leveling would take care of itself, as long as I stayed under that number. My endgame save was level 39 before starting NG+ and I figured I would play through the story in NG+, collect all the Witcher gear firstly, but MAKE SURE I did not go over that 68. In fact, I decided to stop before I even finished the main story and just hang on until the 31st of May.

But the reason I was able to manage all this was because of this mod:

http://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/967/?

If anyone is still preparing their NG+, or needs to get through game content without getting any XP (quest or kills), this is your mod. I even asked the author if they could add a "True XP" setting, so you don't get the incremental XP from quests, and it was granted! And it's a very easy mod to use. Has a bin file so you can configure it from main menu.

And recently, I learned that B&W (which I've not finished) has endgame content that would be affected if you've not completed the main storyline, so I took the weekend, and was able to do from the Battle of KM all the way to the End Credits of the main story without getting a single XP point.

Really recommend this to any PC players who are trying to keep levels down.

Level 54 should be fine. Grandmaster witcher gear should be level 94 if that's what you're concerned about. If it's a level 47 or higher for you in your NG save then it'll be over level 100 in NG+. Level 46 or lower will be level 100 or lower.

Last edited:
Wait, the suggested level for quests are not just the regular suggested level + 30?
first time i hear about something like that
and it sounds like playing without enemy upscaling should fix that, right?

Wait, the suggested level for quests are not just the regular suggested level + 30?
first time i hear about something like that
and it sounds like playing without enemy upscaling should fix that, right?

ng+ since v1.20 starts at lecel 30 or level of your savegame, whichever is higher with all quests, items, enemies scaled up as appropriate.

Enemy upscaling does not come into play here. Enemies that are lowere than you will scale up, enimies higher stay the same level, hence possibility of > level 100 enemies.

ng+ since v1.20 starts at lecel 30 or level of your savegame, whichever is higher with all quests, items, enemies scaled up as appropriate.

Enemy upscaling does not come into play here. Enemies that are lowere than you will scale up, enimies higher stay the same level, hence possibility of > level 100 enemies.

Right, the problem seems to be if you start a NG+ at too-high of a level then - if you get close to level 100 later in the game - the system starts generating enemies, quests and loot over 100.

Right, the problem seems to be if you start a NG+ at too-high of a level then - if you get close to level 100 later in the game - the system starts generating enemies, quests and loot over 100.
Which is what had me worried. That absolutely shouldn't happen if you the player can't go beyond Lvl. 100.

Just a quick update: I reloaded an older save and prepared that one for NG+ instead. The current save is Level 50 which is probably perfect for NG+. From the comments here, it likely would have still worked fine with a lvl 54 character, but I thought I'd tone it down a bit more.

You'll be fine... they've patched it....
However I believe your Grandmaster gear will unlock at level 95 or 96 now...

New Game Plus at level 54..
Hearts of stone tab says level 86 to start 😧😲😆

Top Bottom