The future of Cyberpunk 2077?

+

Guest 3847602

Maybe I'm wrong (not really aware of DA2), but I suppose when Bioware decided to cancel the expansion, they already "work" on DAI (with "only" 3 and half years between both release, it seem quite obvious to me).
I don't remember how far were they into developing DA:I, but it was a choice between 2 team working on 2 games, right from the start they faced difficulties with Frostbite and decided that Inquisition should take priority. Yeah, the choice was obvious.
In case of Cyberpunk, maybe I'm also wrong, but if a sequel is planned for Cyberpunk, even a year and hakf after the release, it's only "on papers" :)
Sure, but if CDPR was planning something really ambitious with CP2077's 2nd expansion (something like B&W for TW3) then it's very possible that they decided it's better to save it for the sequel, when they'd have "all hands on deck".

Sure, but if CDPR was planning something really ambitious with CP2077's 2nd expansion (something like B&W for TW3) then it's very possible that they decided it's better to save it for the sequel, when they'd have "all hands on deck".
Yep, very possible indeed ;)
I suppose, like always, we'll see when the time come :)

Edit : Maybe I'm also wrong, but I see the switch to UE5 as a way to save ressources (time/money/...) on the development of future games and not really as a "problem with RE". In short, less ressources spent on a homemade engine mean more ressources on everything else. And commercially, it would be a shame to deprive yourself of possible incomes (if the first expansion sells well) while the work on a second one is already well "advanced" (all incomes are good incomes^^)

Last edited:
If they put all effort in The Witcher that's fine. And after that game releases put back in all effort from also The Witcher team into a new Cyberpunk game, thats awesome. Both are very different games and The Witcher has always been quest driven, which imo kinda lacks in Cyberpunk 2077 after you finish the game.

Current development system in CDPR allows for development of two games at once. Their whole transition in 2021 was to not focus on one big game at the time. No need to cancel anything to release W4.

Yeah. We're talking Witcher 4 being YEARS AWAY. I'd be surprised if Witcher 4 comes out before 2025.

I haven't seen anything that I interpret as CDPR abandoning CP2077. I've seen several things that I interpret as them slowing down, and trying to be more careful about what they release, both technically and in their marketing material.

But I also don't have much expectation that a sequel is in the works any time soon. I agree with the estimates that TW4 is still a few years away, and that's what CDPR is emphasizing right now. So, I think there is still something more (not sure what) to come for CP2077, but anything carrying it forward as a series seems a very long time off.

I don't think CP2077 will be abandon before it was originally intended to be, not to be understood negatively. Like with the TW3, they released it and then they created some DLCs and expansions and they were done with it more or less. And moved on to new projects like CP.
There is a saying people in IT like to use: Projects are never finished, but abandoned. The same will hold true for Cyberpunk 2077 and they same is true for any game ever made. This is not a bad thing, it just reflects the nature of software development.

Even if they decide to move to Unreal, it doesn't mean that the Red engine is dead as a result, it is still what drives CP and for the most part the engine is not what causes the issues with CP as I see it, to the point where it is useless. Far from it, we are not talking Bethesda quality engine here :)
You have mentioned a few points why switching to UE5 makes sense in your own post and I highly doubt CDPR will keep the REDEngine alive, given this deal would result in more resources being used, not less. Therefore, this switch to UE5 (and future iterations) will be permanent. (Unless they discover unsolvable issues with UE5 that force them to switch to yet another engine or resurrect REDEngine.)

The reason for this, I think is more of a strategic decision than anything else. The Unreal engine is very good and you have a huge experienced dedicated team constantly working and improving it. Which will save CDPR a lot of development time having to create their own engine and therefore be able to focus on creating their games instead, because creating a game engine is not a cheap task.
So even if they have to pay royalties to Unreal, it might not really cost them a lot more than having to create their own engine and maintain it.
Another benefit might be that more people are experienced in working with Unreal compared to having to train them in the Red engine, which also cost time and money.
We have seen how many issues these things can cause with the Frostbite engine for example and Mass Effect Andromeda and if im not mistaken Anthem ran into similar issues also having to be developed on that engine.
Those are the reasons I mentioned above and I very much agree with you. However, I would like to point out that according to their statement CDPR is not merely using UE5 (and future iteration), but also actively contributing to the development of said engine. I assume Epic values their open world experience in engine development. Thus, they either have an extremely favourable deal in regards to loyalties, or they do not have to pay any loyalties, or even receive part of the earnings. As a result, CDPR will have to dedicate more developers to engine development than other integrations projects of Unreal usually do.

Of course, there are DLC, but compare the regularity of releases and the number of DLC for TW3 and Cyberpunk 2077. Even the addition of apartments is not interesting since they have no use : you can't customize them and nothing happens there, whereas it was an opportunity to create a story for each apartment and to link it to at least one new mini-quest. Until 1.52, CD Projekt has mostly fixed bugs, and I don't think the next updates will be different as the game is still full of bugs. One could even consider that the game was still in early access until the release of the 1.5 update (considering the character's shadow or the lack of water effects for example).
I think this comparison is overly harsh against Cyberpunk 2077, because most DLCs released for Witcher 3 did not add any additional quests or story content. Rather, those DLCs provided new items or further customisation, just like in Cyberpunk 2077. However, as far as I can remember, there were two quests added as DLCs, but we also have not seen the last DLC for Cyberpunk 2077 yet.

Furthermore, I also disagree that anything before 1.5 could be considered as early access and while the game did have its problems a vast number of them was fixed by the time 1.23 was released.

In conclusion, the game will remain the same.
They never stated otherwise and it was never their intention to fundamentally change the game. Maybe I'm misunderstanding you, but to me it seems some people still expect CDPR to make the game into something it was never intended to be.

I strongly suspect there will only be one (albeit large) expansion and CP2077 will be put to bed by the end of the year, not sure what the distribution of staff/developers is on these projects right now but I imagine CP2077 is now not their highest priority.
I argue that large enough companies can have two main priorities and shift allocations around accordingly without neglecting either project.

next Witcher will be at least 2-3 years from now so there is a nice gap to fill during that period.
Yeah, 2-3y at the least. Thus, also from a financial perspective it might make sense to keep Cyberpunk 2077 supported for as long as possible.

I wonder if Cyberpunk 2077 could look exactly the same if it where made with the new Unreal engine instead of the red engine, without any difference in but perhaps even better performance.

Say they rework it.. then over night there comes a huge update to version 1.6 and the engine changed, would we find out the difference without gettingh told?
I would say yes, just because there is no way to get everything working the same and I think you have to settle for close enough. This does not mean that an UE5 Cyberpunk 2077 would be a better or a worse game, just different. However, from the few showcases we have seen I would argue that an UE5 might have a higher visual fidelity, due to a better object LOD handling.

That being said, all demos were intended to show the strong side of UE5 and some features might still break at Night Cities scope. Also, the better LOD handling mentioned above (Nanite) is probably making use of DirectStorage and equivalent console features, which are absent on old-gen. (Still, UE5 demos work on old-gen and look surprisingly good, which means the resort to some trickery.) CDPR did not had the luxury of employing DirectStorage when they were developing the game.

ARK use UE4 but performance wise, it was never "great" (even very bad^^). Crashes, bugs, high-end PCs almost required (at time) and I don't talk about performances on consoles...
So a "good engine" don't do everything anyway.
As far as I know, UE4 has grave problems with DX12 which results in stuttering.

The Witcher has always been quest driven, which imo kinda lacks in Cyberpunk 2077 after you finish the game.
I haven't finished the game yet, so please no spoilers, but in this regard I would say Witcher 3 and Cyberpunk 2077 are equal. Both are not intended to be played after you are done with the main story, with the exception of Blood & Wine.

Let's be frank here, I strongly believe if they would not have to release console optimization patch after so disastrous console launch, there would be a proper DLC (not cosmetic DLC) out already or close before release. Cyberpunk desperately needs a proper content story/quests wise otherwise it will be more or less forgotten over the course of time. The CP and Night City itself has so big potential for development and so the devs have a plethora of possibilities to work with. However the lack of communication from CDPR is very problematic. There is practically no competition in this area (well maybe Starfield in some cases) that there is zero reason for not tossing a bone to community regarding proper content update. And in case they are not planning to update CP anymore, they could at least release some good modding tools and let community to take the reins.

Let's be frank here, I strongly believe if they would not have to release console optimization patch after so disastrous console launch, there would be a proper DLC (not cosmetic DLC) out already or close before release. Cyberpunk desperately needs a proper content story/quests wise otherwise it will be more or less forgotten over the course of time. The CP and Night City itself has so big potential for development and so the devs have a plethora of possibilities to work with. However the lack of communication from CDPR is very problematic. There is practically no competition in this area (well maybe Starfield in some cases) that there is zero reason for not tossing a bone to community regarding proper content update. And in case they are not planning to update CP anymore, they could at least release some good modding tools and let community to take the reins.
I agree with you to a certain extent, but I would like to point out that it has been confirmed by Paweł Sasko in his stream that CDPR is still working on Cyberpunk 2077. So, we will see further patches, DLCs and also an epansion or expansions.

In 3 days there will be investors call with report for 2021 where hopefully we might get some more info about whats coming in months ahead.

I find it very confusing.
Sequel, DLC, Expansion. All names we throw in one bucket but share different meanings (interpreted or otherwise) and I'm having trouble understanding what we are talking about.

As far as "Future of CP77"
I would much prefer either DLC or expansions (which I consider large DLC) to adds to the current game.
I like that game and even though its now limited on PS4, I would acquire a PS5 at some point if that means getting more cyberpunk out of my cyberpunk.
And that is pretty much the only future I am currently interested in get more Cyberpunk for my V to do, hopefully via continuing her story, since I refuse to accept it is finished.
And then I mean my V in the EXACT way how I 'made' her.

A true Sequel should not be considered for at least a good 3 to 5 years.
Unless this 'sequel' would be what I am looking for as described above.

How or why I should care about what engine that runs on, I dont know.
I'm in it for the game :)

Personally, I think they will launch one expasion with patch 1.7 and completely halt development upon reaching patch 1.86.

It's clear that the game while not a comercial failure caused severe brand damage and already lost most of it's player base which increases executive pressure to end development as quickly as possible.

My hope is that the expansion addresses V's fate in the Star and Sun endings thus giving closure for the protagonist and letting you clear the way for a sequel disconnected from them.

I find it very confusing.
Sequel, DLC, Expansion. All names we throw in one bucket but share different meanings (interpreted or otherwise) and I'm having trouble understanding what we are talking about.
CDPR distinguishes between DLCs and Expansions, with the former being small content in the form of items or a quest and the latter being a couple of quests grouped together into an overarching story.

A true Sequel should not be considered for at least a good 3 to 5 years.
Unless this 'sequel' would be what I am looking for as described above.
I think it will be at least 5y for a sequel of Cyberpunk 2077 to be released, given that the new Witcher game will also take some time to develop.

It's clear that the game while not a comercial failure caused severe brand damage and already lost most of it's player base which increases executive pressure to end development as quickly as possible.
It is true that content that needs to be purchased is best added as near to the release of a game as possible to have the highest possible number of purchasers, but I would also argue that player count in a single player game is not as significant as in a multi player game. Also, it is a quick and easy way (relatively speaking) to make money and also keeping resources allocated properly. Furthermore and bugs aside, Cyberpunk 2077 was a success, which is why the motivation for CDPR to release (an) expansion(s) is high.

Also, your last remark seemed like a spoiler even though this is a spoiler free thread so please either hide the paragraph or remove it completely if warranted.

When ever the franchise continues, beyond the expansion, it’ll migrate to Unreal Engine and it’ll look faaaantastic and be even more of a shooter (likely with a good storytelling element).

I don’t think the franchise is going to get better anymore; at least not from an RPG point of view.

CDPR distinguishes between DLCs and Expansions, with the former being small content in the form of items or a quest and the latter being a couple of quests grouped together into an overarching story.
Thank you for clearing that up for me :)
In that light I remain of my previous position.
I think it will be at least 5y for a sequel of Cyberpunk 2077 to be released, given that the new Witcher game will also take some time to develop.
There is that, but I also feel like Cyberpunk 2077 which we have now should get its fair breathing room.
Yes it had a rocky start, and yes it had so while in the primary spotlight.
But vurrying it now under a hasty new bunch of games will not remedy that.
Giving it breathing room to be fixed and added upon (even if the pace is slower than many would like) will be better for the game, CDPR and us in the long run. At least so is my opinion on the matter.

When ever the franchise continues, beyond the expansion, it’ll migrate to Unreal Engine and it’ll look faaaantastic and be even more of a shooter (likely with a good storytelling element).

I don’t think the franchise is going to get better anymore; at least not from an RPG point of view.
Even if I do agree, I don´t think it will be engine related but market driven (sales and critical response of TW3 vs CP2077). Outer Worlds was UE4 and shooter wise was worse than CP2077 although RPG mechanics were deeper (I know that you had some/a lot of dissapointment with it, but I do think mechanically is deeper); Outer Worlds 2 will probably use UE5... how it will go in mechanics?No idea, I hope that at least in-line with Outer Worlds...hopefully more fleshed since they had good sales with 1st one.

In one word? NOTHING.
Let's face it, Cyberpunk 2077 is dead.

They tried to add a couple of things in 1.5, but that's it.
It seems they don't want or maybe they just can't, fix this game.

An year passed, and no improvements. No serious DLC. No commitment.
Let's just go to play Elder Ring, that's a real Triple A game.

In one word? NOTHING.
Let's face it, Cyberpunk 2077 is dead.

They tried to add a couple of things in 1.5, but that's it.
It seems they don't want or maybe they just can't, fix this game.

An year passed, and no improvements. No serious DLC. No commitment.
Let's just go to play Elder Ring, that's a real Triple A game.
Using statement like that that there are no improvements after a year sounds like a trolling for me. You may not like a game or be dissapointed that things are going slow with futher development but to say that it is in a state from a year ago is just bollocks. I could give you long list of things they add or upgraded from release version.

Last edited:
Top Bottom