Votes: 40 2.9%
  • There was enough of Triss in the game

Votes: 128 9.1%
  • I don't like Triss

Votes: 38 2.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
That's what I'm saying. Writing that was really hard - I felt so bad for Yen. Unlike the main game, however, this one doesn't invalidate your choice of picking Triss. It acknowledges it while still making you feel the consequences of your choice. Think about how powerful and emotional this scene could have been. I would've killed for something like this.

---------- Updated at 06:27 AM ----------

Still doesn't make it okay. If you didn't do Now or Never before Kaer Morhen then it makes sense that this is her first appearance there. If you did do it though, she should be there. Doesn't seem to far fetched for the game to be able to keep track of all of these variables.

She's clearly more than that though since you can't end up with Keira but you can end up with Triss. The thing with Keira was never more than friends with benefits. She said so herself. Triss is so much more than that. She should be treated like so much more than. She's not just another fling. She's not Geralt's mistress. She's a major character, one of two potential romance interests and I think she should be given the same care and attention as Yennefer. Again, not necessarily as much screen time but everything should be just as meaningful.

I really hope there will be an Enhanced Edition with such conversations... And yeah as u mentioned in ur dialogues you really can feel the consequences

I think what's very frustrating for me is that the Triss arc is quite well done until Kaer Morhen. I really loved the quests with Triss, I loved the scene by the boat with Dijkstra that was well balanced between laugh and tears (When Dijkstra tells us his story, and suddenly he says "Behind you..."
That was definitely the best moment of the game for me !!!
So I was really happy, and when I get to Kaer Morhen and ge the scene with the earrings and the bed, I thought that there would be plenty of interactions between our love triangle, and that would be really fun. Instead the Triss sotry is pretty much closed after that, and this is a huge disapointment.

Apparently Keira is not free of the curse either :) I love her character too btw...

On a more serious note, this shows both her and Triss were meant to be "flings" before the "one true" love entered the picture. A fling in Velen, a fling in Novigrad and geralt is all set.

Even the quest for gathering allies shows Keira as the ally you can gather in Velen and Triss as the one you grab in Novigrad. The reason Triss is never in KM before Ciri arrives, is because "Now or Never" can even be completed after that part, since she's just an "old friend" you can pick up.

Hard to know if she was a fling that was then turned into a main romance. The design of 'Now or never' and 'the last wish' suggests not.
I assumed now or never could be done after the initial Kaer Morhen section, though i assume only a tiny percentage of players do so. I think it should have been locked out by then and Triss brought to Kaer Morhen. If romance was treated properly at Kaer Morhen then i think i'd have a lot less issues. As it is her absence and the absence of any dialogue reactivity to the romance is a sore that develops here and rankles as the rest of the game progresses.

---------- Updated at 08:02 AM ----------

I just saw on youtube the video of the Triss romance and it was 23 minutes long, my playthrough took 66 hours, so yeah probably should of been longer, luckily the game had many great quests and side activities to make me forget about the length of those scenes.

A fairer comparison would be versus Yen. Geralt's alone rather than part of a party for most of the time, so comparing it to full 100 hours is a bit false imo. Some Triss content in Kaer Morhen or at least some reactivity and a dialogue on the boat before in Act 3 and i'd have been content.

Wow you all spent a lot of time in your playthrough, then again i missed quite a bit of side quests (something to do in my next playthrough), but going by all the hours you spent in the game, the Triss romance content wouldn't even make up half a percent of your playing time (that includes the dialogue with Triss).

The collection of romance stuff only includes truly romantic moments. There's probably an equal amount of non-romantic Triss stuff but still it doesn't even constitute 1% of the damn game. But yeah, when it comes to RPGs, open-world games in general, I am a bit of a completionist. I try to do everything possible before moving onto the next area. I checked every question mark and did every quest/contract in Velen before moving on to Novigrad. I wish I would've held off on those Triss quests though. :X Would've helped dull the pain a little bit.

I actually didn't realise how short the Triss content was until i finished the game and looked back on it, when i was playing i was always expecting Triss to show up in a quest or some storyline, sadly it didn't really happen

I realized it once she disappeared. Sure I was always hoping/expecting her to pop up in a quest but it just never happened. Every time she wasn't there, I noticed it and it was striking.

@Noobseals yeah, that was a bummer for sure. He went out like a boss though. True Witcher-style. ;) Says it in the glossary, "No Witcher has ever died in his bed."

The witcher wild hunt was my second and I selected Triss from the start because, after meeting Yen it was obvious that the character was out for herself. Her interactions with the white wolf did not seem loving or sincere. It was like Yen strong him along like a puppy. The relationship seemed awkward until I encountered Triss in the game. Besides, other characters in the game made subtle hints that Triss rather than Yen was best for Geralt. When Yen asked the Ginn to desolve the magic spell bond I felt like that was it and I decided then that she wasn't right for my game play.

Ciri was raised by many people so I had no attachments to Yen as Ciri mother. In the wild hunt Geralt and Triss interactions however brief actually seem like true love. His interactions/dev forced affection with Yen for most of the game seem unrequited. During the game play it seem like I had to work for my relationship with Triss whereas for Yen it was already scripted.

I was really looking forward to being able to visit Triss frequently at the end of the game or Yen for those people who pick her. It's extremely disappointing that you can't interact with any of the other characters after the credits. So much of the map was unexplored along the fringes so I thought the developers had that in mind. I was expecting kovir to become accessible after the wild hunt main game play.

I really hope there will be an Enhanced Edition with such conversations... And yeah as u mentioned in ur dialogues you really can feel the consequences

Thanks. I tried. :p If you think it would be a good idea to include them in the OP go ahead and tag our illustrious leader. :p There's already been one suggestion for it.

When Dijkstra tells us his story, and suddenly he says "Behind you..."

Yeah. For sure one of my favorite moments in the game. I almost teared up. :crybaby:

I thought that there would be plenty of interactions between our love triangle, and that would be really fun. Instead the Triss sotry is pretty much closed after that, and this is a huge disapointment.

I think we are all sorely disappointed there. Would have loved to have seen some more interaction and reactivity between the characters. Some of my sample dialogues could have really made those scenes more meaningful and impactful.

Hard to know if she was a fling that was then turned into a main romance. The design of 'Now or never' and 'the last wish' suggests not.
I assumed now or never could be done after the initial Kaer Morhen section, though i assume only a tiny percentage of players do so.

Just based on the fact that you can only end up with Triss or Yen indicates they did not intend her to be a fling. I stand by the thought that her romance was a bit of an afterthought - added after the main quest and Yen stuff was finished.

A fairer comparison would be versus Yen. Geralt's alone rather than part of a party for most of the time, so comparing it to full 100 hours is a bit false imo. Some Triss content in Kaer Morhen or at least some reactivity and a dialogue on the boat before in Act 3 and i'd have been content.

When I am talking about Triss time vs total time I merely stating that it is a grave injustice to her. The fact that a major character is given so little screen time. But yeah, you're right, it's not really the amount of time, it's the quality of that time. To be fair though, if they were to give her more impactful moments, they would have to add more screen time. A plus either way. :p

It's hard to believe CDPR wanted to throw Triss under the rug, considering all of the evident hard work that went into elaborating on her character from the books.

Maybe some people did, I don't know, but it is very hard to believe that everyone involved with her creation is now disinterested.

Improving the Triss story stands to be a net profit maker by a large margin, now and in the future for CDPR. Sure it costs money, but it's a small sum compared to the total costs to bring TW3 to market. It proves to future gamers and investors CDPR's commitment to polishing their product, to not only outdoing the competition but also themselves. The Witcher is all about compelling stories, RPGs are all about difficult choices, and expanding the Triss story would establish a far more dynamic and fulfilling decision to make for Geralt's love.

This romance choice extends beyond a cut-scene or two of intimacy in a world sadly needing happiness and comfort; it flavors the rest of the game. It is Geralt's companions, their adventures together, and the storytelling dynamic that sets The Witcher series apart.

Geralt is a man of few emotions. His most vulnerable, those that have the most profound effect on him -- are those of the heart.

Actually it's the other way around. They went out of their way to provide a reasonable explanation why Triss wouldn't get together with Geralt. She has a mission now, get the mages out of the city and lead them. For a character that was always looked down and treated like a "junior" mage, kept out of the loop etc, being the one to lead what was a left of the mages seems like a proper send off and gives closure to her character. Her whole line is headed in that direction.

Last wish works independently of whatever you do with triss. And perhaps refusing her was an option thought from the start. Or it wasn't, hence why Geralt acts like such an asshole there. It's like the writing team was telling the marketing guys. "see why this option is wrong". One true love!. "Yen is now a sad puppy, Triss was ready to move on, we wrote a whole arc with that in mind!"

The whole game, without an option for Triss to stay (and what does staying means, she doesn't lol). Anyway without that option, the whole game made complete sense.

Then somebody comes along, appalled upon what would happen if players were left without an option to pick the option most would want. And they make small changes. Option to tell her you love her, scene in the lighthouse, scene in the fountain and two lines in the epilogue. Presto, players can now pick Triss. Nothing else was changed.

But what about if they express love for both? They we change nothing either and we just add a 3some scene showing why that's bad and two shorts dialogues of why the girls didn't like that.

This is the most logical conclusion, if somebody wants to come up with another that makes more sense please share it :)

Last edited:
It's hard to believe CDPR wanted to throw Triss under the rug, considering all of the evident hard work that went into elaborating on her character from the books.

Maybe some people did, I don't know, but it is very hard to believe that everyone involved with her creation is now disinterested.

Improving the Triss story stands to be a net profit maker by a large margin, now and in the future for CDPR. Sure it costs money, but it's a small sum compared to the total costs to bring TW3 to market. It proves to future gamers and investors CDPR's commitment to polishing their product, to not only outdoing the competition but also themselves. The Witcher is all about compelling stories, RPGs are all about difficult choices, and expanding the Triss story would establish a far more dynamic and fulfilling decision to make for Geralt's love.

This romance choice extends beyond a cut-scene or two of intimacy in a world sadly needing happiness and comfort; it flavors the rest of the game. It is Geralt's companions, their adventures together, and the storytelling dynamic that sets The Witcher series apart.

Geralt is a man of few emotions. His most vulnerable, those that have the most profound effect on him -- are those of the heart.

I could not have said it better myself. Great post.

Welcome @DaWitcher don't forget to vote at the top!

In the wild hunt Geralt and Triss interactions however brief actually seem like true love.

We agree with you. What we have is great - a lot of chemistry between them. There just weren't enough of them and the fact that nobody cares that you picked her. This is done through two methods. 1) There is no reaction from other characters to your choice 2) The game still pushes you toward Yen anyways

I was really looking forward to being able to visit Triss frequently at the end of the game or Yen for those people who pick her. It's extremely disappointing that you can't interact with any of the other characters after the credits.

Yes, very disappointing. The characters should have remained in the world for further interaction. All of them. Not just the romance choices but everyone is pretty much absent or if they aren't (Dandelion) you can't interact with them.

Yeah. For sure one of my favorite moments in the game. I almost teared up. :crybaby:

When I am talking about Triss time vs total time I merely stating that it is a grave injustice to her. The fact that a major character is given so little screen time. But yeah, you're right, it's not really the amount of time, it's the quality of that time. To be fair though, if they were to give her more impactful moments, they would have to add more screen time. A plus either way. :p

Can't be stressed enough just how good the conclusion to now or never is. Had me on the edge of my seat sure i'd something wrong, broken hearted that Geralt had confessed his love and she'd still left. Then she was back and i was flooded with relief and joy.

Ohh i'd very much like a few more meanginful moments and she definitely needs something to make up for the defficiency, just pointing out that structure of the game means friends/lovers not getting hours of content.

I agree. Some of the CDPR staff has to still be on Team Triss. They put all this time and energy into carefully crafting her - hard to believe they would intentionally let her fall by the wayside like this.

Well said! :) I think working on this makes sense from a business standpoint as well as a creative standpoint. It might cost money but I think it would be money well spent. Help to more fully develop the story between them and they stand to make a buck or two in the long run. I'd pay for more Triss - pretty sure most of us would. But you make a good point too. It would show others that they are trying to rise above the pack.

It does indeed flavor the rest of the game. It provides some context to your choices - your choices can have an impact on those you care about.

Very well made post. A bunch of original thoughts. Put this one on the front page. :p

Then somebody comes along, appalled upon what would happen if players were left without an option to pick the option most would want. And they make small changes. Option to tell her you love her, scene in the lighthouse, scene in the fountain and two lines in the epilogue. Presto, players can now pick Triss. Nothing else was changed.

But what about if they express love for both? They we change nothing either and we just add a 3some scene showing why that's bad and two shorts dialogues of why the girls didn't like that.

This is the most logical conclusion, if somebody wants to come up with another that makes more sense please share it

Makes sense. Logical for sure. Can't say for sure whether this is the case. I don't like to speculate on the why of everything though. :X That's just me though. Doesn't help provide any closure.

Can't be stressed enough just how good the conclusion to now or never is. Had me on the edge of my seat sure i'd something wrong, broken hearted that Geralt had confessed his love and she'd still left. Then she was back and i was flooded with relief and joy.

Same here. Very intense scene. Quite pleased with the actual way it played out. She leaves & then she's back. :wub: Words don't do it justice.

Ohh i'd very much like a few more meanginful moments and she definitely needs something to make up for the defficiency, just pointing out that structure of the game means friends/lovers not getting hours of content.

Yeah, I see what you're saying. Either way, I think we can all agree, something must be done. :eek:

---------- Updated at 08:55 AM ----------

I don't see how.Yen is supposed to be more powerful,than Triss,so it makes perfect sense.

They're just Gwent cards. My deck was crazy powerful by the end. Swept the high-stakes Gwent tournament. :p I included Triss's card as an homage to her. Didn't make my deck any less awesome. Better than Zoltan's card anyways. :eek:

I don't see how.Yen is supposed to be more powerful,than Triss,so it makes perfect sense.

This does seem to be generally true, although Triss' showed far more power on occasion -- a la Merigold's Hailstorm -- although she appears to lack the ability to summon it on demand...it appears to be emotionally driven determination.

Or maybe it's the simple fact that Yennefer is actually a much more powerful(and older) sorceress than Triss.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom