Votes: 40 2.9%
  • There was enough of Triss in the game

Votes: 128 9.1%
  • I don't like Triss

Votes: 38 2.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Personally the only thing I want from the expansions is more Triss. Won't be replaying the game unless it'll offer some more closure because I certainly don't feel satisfied with one slide saying they lived happily ever after.
no one lives happily ever after, especially if you have a witcher as companion.. they always bring trouble

I don't really buy the argument that romance was never intended to be an integral part of the story or important important regarding Geralt's ending. If that was the case Geralt-Yen would have suffered equally badly. It maybe that Triss was just supposed to be an obstacle to be overcome for a forced Yen romance and artificially added as a second real romance later, hence the lack of reactivity. That notion just makes me very sad though. Just hope they have the will to do something about it.

If this is the reason then I can just say that they dropped the ball. I view this as, as much a story about the Hunt and Ciri as it is about Geralt's life. Isn't somebody's choice of romantic partner a pretty big decision in shaping how the rest of one's life plays out? If this wasn't the last one we might be willing to let it slide because we would have more input down the line to shape Geralt's life. As it stands though, his life is pretty much set in stone and we get next to nothing. A few lines of dialogue and a single epilogue slide does not do it justice in my opinion. I think the romance should have been, not just as integral, but second only to the main plot.

If you have a look at my previous posts in this thread, that's basically my stance as well. I'm not sure if they intended for the romance to take second seat, but that's what it comes across at. I posted previously how wrong that is for Geralt, since romance is a central theme for him in the books and should be resolved in a serious and major manner in W3 considering this is the end of his story. It's not just a matter of "more Triss" but more with dealing with the emotional fallout given Triss' move on Geralt, the return of Yen and Ciri into Geralt's life and the conclusion of his hunt for his adoptive daughter and him having to come to terms with that. How does he see his life after his hunt? We got a short slideshow in the epilogue when we should've been seeing Geralt struggle with those thoughts much more during the entirety of the game.

It would've all worked together to enhance all aspects, including the Triss romance.

Personally the only thing I want from the expansions is more Triss. Won't be replaying the game unless it'll offer some more closure because I certainly don't feel satisfied with one slide saying they lived happily ever after.

I like the game a lot. But noticed that after this whole Triss-won't-be-there, I kinda don't play so often or much anymore ... maybe because I'm right now in Novigrad and actually don't know what to do after all the Triss quests are over
:D

I don't really buy the argument that romance was never intended to be an integral part of the story or important important regarding Geralt's ending. If that was the case Geralt-Yen would have suffered equally badly. It maybe that Triss was just supposed to be an obstacle to be overcome for a forced Yen romance and artificially added as a second real romance later, hence the lack of reactivity. That notion just makes me very sad though. Just hope they have the will to do something about it.

Well keep in mind that they had to portrait Yen the way they did, since that's how it was in the books. Toning down the flirting and how much of an important part she plays in regards to Ciri would've been disingenuous and would've required a pretty good reason. Yen was never in previous games so they had to make it clear what she means to Geralt, so she got a lot more screentime so you understood where they stand. It wasn't done to downplay Triss, it was a necessity since this is the first time Yen shows up in the games.

Edit: I could be wrong, of course, but that's what I believe based on what they did and the fact that making a video game of this scale requires big compromises.

Well I mean.. at those parts you really can see that Yen loves Geralt. And even when u broke up she really cares about that and is upset.
In some way I feel sorry for her. Especially when Lambert asks for my "fuckfriend Triss" in Novigrad when we were drinking in Kaer Morhen

I know off topic, but the drinking scene was one of the most funny scene ever!
FUCK YEAH. summon the bitches! xD

My thoughts exactly - I have elaborated on the subject two or three times now. I want other people to voice a similar concern; might carry some more weight. I just hope they don't not do something because it'll cost money. Shit, it'll end up making them more money down the line. I won't be hesitant to buy their DLC & you and I cannot be the only ones to share this opinion. Besides, I doubt adding some more dialogue is going to blow their profit margins. They crushed sales records and pulled in over $100 million dollars in a week. I really do think we the fans deserve it. I'll be heartbroken that one of the finer games I've ever gotten my hands on isn't getting the attention it deserves from me for something that I think could have been easily fixed.

Hello, I just finished the game moments ago and I think the posts here have pretty much laid out all my thoughts much better than I could. Just going to add what I think about this.

Prior to Novigrad I was looking forward to meet Triss again, wondering what kind of reunion scene could they have in store, only to find my Geralt had broke up with Triss off screen without the player's consent. Honestly I think it turned out not so bad, since I figure Geralt might need a break to examine his feelings now that he's going to actually meet Yen again. I think it also introduced new dynamic between Geralt-Triss, an awkward (and admittedly rather cute) phase that we've never seen before with Triss and also not in Yennefer's path. I mean, between the first scene with Kingbeggar and the scene at the warehouse, I can very much feel the tension pouring out of the screen. Awesome job on that one CDPR.

But then like everyone here already said, after the too early romance lock-in quest there's no more growth in their relationship. No proper reaction from other characters and Geralt still has to behave as if he's still with Yen. I quite like Yen as a character and I don't mind if she's the one Geralt goes with in the main missions directly related to Ciri because she's supposed to be Ciri's mother figure so it's rather odd if Triss replaced her there, but can we at least get one or two more side quests to make the flow of Geralt-Triss relationship more natural? Or something else (reaction from other characters or an item maybe) to feel that Geralt is actually in a relationship with Triss? Triss was also gone for a big portion of TW2 but there's always this feeling that they're connected, at least for me. I know in TW3 Triss is very much only a support character while the Geralt-Yen-Ciri triangle is the main star, but surely a better balance can be reached?

I really hope CDPR will give Triss' fans something to fix the imbalance, whether in DLC or EE. Even little things like journal entries that actually say what happened can go a long way. Items (Rose of Remembrance, why you wasted that item like that?), extra dialogue with Triss and comments from other characters, or if you guys are generous a new side quest and cutscene or two. I know a DLC dedicated to a single character is not going to happen, unless there's a plan for something like Citadel DLC.

P.S. I initially planned 2 playthroughs for TW3, one for Triss and one for Yen, but after seeing what happened I don't think I can do the Yen playthrough in the near future. Sorry CDPR.

P.P.S Wall of text!

Well as long as there is also more Yen (and Ciri) I', fine with that.

by the way, has anyone thought what a guy could "feel" and think if he hasnt played W1 and AoK? i mean he'd surely go with yen because.. triss is totally missing!
everyone says you dont need to know the previous 2 games to know the game, and its kinda.. true.. even if its better to understand all the plots etc.. but i mean, they let a choice between triss and yen, but they dont make triss appear and at first to the eyes of someone that hasnt played the previous games triss would literally mean nothing to him, on the other hand yen would be his "only" chance

Last edited:
Well keep in mind that they had to portrait Yen the way they did, since that's how it was in the books. Toning down the flirting and how much of an important part she plays in regards to Ciri would've been disingenuous and would've required a pretty good reason. Yen was never in previous games so they had to make it clear what she means to Geralt, so she got a lot more screentime so you understood where they stand. It wasn't done to downplay Triss, it was a necessity since this is the first time Yen shows up in the games.

Edit: I could be wrong, of course, but that's what I believe based on what they did and the fact that making a video game of this scale requires big compromises.

I don't have an issue with Yen's portrayal. She's very much in character. I don't really have an issue with her hefty mother role to Ciri either.
I don't really buy they had to put auto flirting into Geralt's conversations. Surely that's what the multiple dialogue options should be for.
Can't really accept that Kaer Morhen onwards isn't a deliberate attempt to downplay Triss. In Kaer Morhen alone several times there's conversations with Yen, with Yen, Eskel & Lambert and then with Eskel and Lambert alone where there should be option to up-play Triss and there's nothing. Followed up by Yen's tongue bizarre needless snog.

CDPR would be pretty stupid not to release more (paid) content involving both Yennefer and Triss. Just take a look at this forum and reddit, for example: So many people are showing their devotion towards one of these characters. That's almost Bioware-level. So from a business standpoint, developing more content for both of them would certainly be productive. New content, that is. Polishing existing content, however, is another story and pure fanservice. If I have to name one company that I think is capable of doing so, it's CDPR.

Last edited:

I've said it before and I'll keep saying it because it is important - I don't want less Yen screen time. I want more Triss though and for those choices to be reflected in the game. I am fine with some of the forced flirting - it's a bit much at times but it establishes some of the aspects of their relationship. After the last wish though, especially if you have already chosen Triss, don't you think it should be next to eliminated completely? Like seriously get that stupid kiss out of here. Or give us the chance to say something about it to Triss. It just doesn't make a ton of sense to me that they have to downplay Triss in order to include more Yennefer.

Think of it like this:
Say there's 100 minutes of Yen in the game if you don't romance anybody and 50 minutes of Triss (these are just random numbers). Don't you think if you romanced Yen, you just get more Yen? 150 minutes while still maintaining the 50 minutes of Triss time. If you romance Triss you get 100 minutes of her and 100 minutes of Yen.

Alternatively, they could have reserved 30 minutes of "romantic time" that if you didn't romance anybody, you see nothing new. If you romanced Triss, these go to her category with a quest, an extra scene or two, additional dialogue, etc. Vice versa for if you chose Yen.

If the numbers don't help, just ignore those.

Also, this doesn't address the separate issue of the world not acknowledging, not caring that you chose Triss. I think that is the larger injustice in and of itself - that the game insists upon Yennefer as the proper romantic choice. Not saying I wouldn't enjoy some more separate stand-alone Triss content, but I think the lager issue would be to integrate her more fully into the world.

I don't have an issue with Yen's portrayal. She's very much in character. I don't really have an issue with her hefty mother role to Ciri either.
I don't really buy they had to put auto flirting into Geralt's conversations. Surely that's what the multiple dialogue options should be for.
Can't really accept that Kaer Morhen onwards isn't a deliberate attempt to downplay Triss. In Kaer Morhen alone several times there's conversations with Yen, with Yen, Eskel & Lambert and then with Eskel and Lambert alone where there should be option to up-play Triss and there's nothing. Followed up by Yen's tongue bizarre needless snog.

My view is that the Yen-Geralt auto-flirting was done to drive home the point that they have a pretty significant relationship, even if it's not known what that exactly means right now for them. Even so, they have so much history and a legitimate love for each other that's reinforced by the Djinn's wish. He is, in many ways, trapped, but it's not really touched on until you start dealing with the Last Wish, and it would've been good to add the option to have him start resisting her a bit more given the actions of W1+2 and her refusal to find and help him when he needed her.

But writing this, it just again reinforces my stance that the romance was not intended to be that in-depth, which I have talked about multiple times. Another example would be that Ciri never talks to Geralt about Yen/Triss. Ciri is the central focus and Geralt's internal struggles aren't as important, when they really should be since they absolutely should feed into the main plot.

Also, this doesn't address the separate issue of the world not acknowledging, not caring that you chose Triss. I think that is the larger injustice in and of itself - that the game insists upon Yennefer as the proper romantic choice. Not saying I wouldn't enjoy some more separate stand-alone Triss content, but I think the lager issue would be to integrate her more fully into the world.

I'd love her at Kaer Morhen earlier and at Geralt's invite rather than Yen's, a quest or dialogue other than 'well' during the last part of act 3 but if i had to choose it would be for acknowledgement and reactivity to them being a couple rather than what seems to be assumption of Yen and Geralt being back together.(Hence my dislike for Kaer Morhen sequences)

Well said @helios396 - you share the views of many of us here. I too will not be pursuing a second playthrough anytime soon unless they get some more Triss in here. :X Which is rather sad. The side quests to flesh out the romance would just be such a welcome addition. Also, welcome to the thread. Make sure you vote and keep coming back regularly. The more people talking about something the more likely it will get noticed. :)

In Kaer Morhen alone several times there's conversations with Yen, with Yen, Eskel & Lambert and then with Eskel and Lambert alone where there should be option to up-play Triss and there's nothing.

Yeah, I just wish there was an option to actually espouse some of the amazingness of Triss to the others. I feel like everyone knows Yen is bossy or whatever, but she's also fierce and tough and gets shit done so they respect her. I feel like a lot of the other characters just haven't had as much time with Triss since she's really only present post-amnesia. Ciri is an exception to this - she has had extensive interaction with Triss her whole life but they barely interact at all. I wish Geralt would pay some compliments toward Triss to other people. Like give him a chance to explain why he picked her - she's just the best. :wub: Surely he could come up with something even if he's not the most emotional guy.

Missed opportunities guys - I think this is what it boils down to.

CDPR would be pretty stupid not to release more (paid) content involving both Yennefer and Triss. Just take a look at this forum and reddit, for example: So many people are showing their devotion towards one of these characters. That's almost Bioware-level. So from a business standpoint, developing more content for both of them would certainly be productive. New content, that is. Polishing existing content, however, is another story and pure fanservice. If I have to name one company that I think is capable of doing so, it's CDPR.
I willing to pay for more Triss in a game. Especially romantic content, dialogues and quests. And to be recognised by others in a game as a couple.

She wasn't even planning on staying - look how it played out. She changed her mind at the last possible second. She's just perfect in this game - so much so that we wish there was more of her. :wub:

The devs really nailed the dock scene. "I...love...you" with that 'I done fucked up' look of his. Like in the end of the books, how Triss decides she's not giving up on Geralt, and admits to making mistakes...the beginning of the 'strong-willed' Triss. Where Ciri takes Geralt from her for good, and she has this resigned and in horror 'I done fucked up' look too.

It is poetic justice in the best way.

I am glad she didn't crumble in front of Yen though. She made a choice and I am glad she stuck with it.

I think this is another good point. If we look at the books, as I said above, she had a major character change at the end -- there was to be no more intimidation from Yennefer, so the whole 'beta Triss' thing later in the story isn't congruous with the books or the games. One more reason for re-working the main story to better fit in the Triss romance.

But writing this, it just again reinforces my stance that the romance was not intended to be that in-depth, which I have talked about multiple times. Another example would be that Ciri never talks to Geralt about Yen/Triss. Ciri is the central focus and Geralt's internal struggles aren't as important, when they really should be since they absolutely should feed into the main plot.

Don't you think it would make sense to have Ciri interact with the both of them though? She has extensive history with them and would surely be able to offer some unique perspective. I agree that the romance shouldn't be the main interest but it should not have been 4th or 5th on the list; it should have been 2nd only to the main plot.

Also @Zeroscape if you don't mind my asking, what did you vote in the poll? Or more importantly do you agree with the major point of the thread? Don't you think us Triss fans got shafted a little bit? Do you agree that she wasn't as integrated as she could have been?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom