The Wasteland... areas beyond the city

+
Given that The Witcher series are all Action RPG's, CP2077 had better be one too. I know I would be greatly disappointed if it wasn't and I am sure the majority of the fan base would be as well.
I know the definition is changing these days but google action-rpg and you get crap clickfest like diablo. Witchers are story driven rpgs.

I know the definition is changing these days but google action-rpg and you get crap clickfest like diablo. Witchers are story driven rpgs.

What's wrong with Diablo? Ok 3 sucked dry roasted mokey balls but 2 was one of the greatest RPG's of all time!

Deus Ex, Mass Effect, Gothic, Elder Scrolls and The Witcher series are all listed as Action RPG's. This is because of their high level of of, *drum roll please*, (yes, you guessed it...) ACTION!

Yes, The Witcher series has an excellent story and it is story driven, but it also has a lot of hacking and slashing and spell casting. Therefore, it's an action RPG.

They are action RPG's given their twitch gameplay. I'm sure CP 2077 will have twitch gameplay as well.

What's wrong with Diablo? Ok 3 sucked dry roasted mokey balls but 2 was one of the greatest RPG's of all time!

Deus Ex, Mass Effect, Gothic, Elder Scrolls and The Witcher series are all listed as Action RPG's. This is because of their high level of of, *drum roll please*, (yes, you guessed it...) ACTION!

Yes, The Witcher series has an excellent story and it is story driven, but it also has a lot of hacking and slashing and spell casting. Therefore, it's an action RPG.
Listed in where? For example Deus Ex is rather clearly shooter-rpg to me.

Well it's the CDPR's powerpoint that says it is story driven rpg so.. It's not like story driven rpg can't have action or twitch.

But even I hate when people arm wrestle about categories. But action-rpg just irks me even more, that is usually sign do not bother.

Also I know Diablo's count as good games, but in my opinion that would require more than just looting and leveling.

Listed in where? For example Deus Ex is rather clearly shooter-rpg to me.

Well it's the CDPR's powerpoint that says it is story driven rpg so.. It's not like story driven rpg can't have action or twitch.

But even I hate when people arm wrestle about categories. But action-rpg just irks me even more, that is usually sign do not bother.
While I am lothe to quote wikipedia as some form of bible, it is a handy tool now and again:

Wikipedia said:
Action role-playing games (abbreviated action RPG, action/RPG, or ARPG) form a loosely defined sub-genre of role-playing video games that incorporate elements of action or action-adventure games, emphasizing real-time action where the player has direct control over characters, instead of turn-based or menu-based combat. These games often use combat systems similar to hack and slash or shooter games.

Shooter-RPG is merely a 'form' of Action-RPG. A true 'Story-Driven-RPG' would probably not incorporate violence, or at least play it down. Cyberpunk is all about being fast paced, being big, being bold, giving everything 110% because you can forget worrying about there being no tomorrow, you have to worry about the next 20 minutes! Story-driven-RPG', (as you appear to define them,) are alomst always turn based, (making them 'Tactical-RPGs',) thus allowing the player to take their time and make complex decisions. Real-Time seems to be the defining factor between the two. "Action-RPG" does not mean there is no story, it means that the game is based on real-time interaction and not turn-based input.

Action is fundamental to the game. Hence why guns, armour and other possesions are focussed on so heavily. If the story was everyting, then the gadgets wouldn't matter. That just isn't very Cyberpunk. How do you abuse technology for your own gain if the tech doesn't matter? Does this mean that the story has to suffer because of the action? Hell no. Pretty much all good RPGs are story-driven, regardless of wether they are Action or tactical, (or MUDs, but thats a whole other issue.)

So, as you said, story driven games can have action. Thus the same holds true for action games being driven by the story.

Also I know Diablo's count as good games, but in my opinion that would require more than just looting and leveling.
Diablo and Borderlands suit their niche, being that they are all about the gratuitous violence and the aquisition of personal power. Cyberpunk should aspire to loftier heights than that, with much more depth and creative gameplay. But that does not make either of the two example bad RPGs, it merely makes them appealing to different audiences.

If this discussion is to continue, I would ask that a moderator create a new thread for it and moves the off-topic elements from this thread there.

CLICK!

Also, the Cyberpunk genre in general is a pretty violent one. I sincerely doubt that we have to worry about gameplay that is somewhat pacifist. If one doesn't want to kill, sure. But there's definately going to be a lot of action.

If this discussion is to continue, I would ask that a moderator create a new thread for it and moves the off-topic elements from this thread there.

Slavedriver.

I'll give it around 8 hours. If you're still off-topic then, I'll cut off a slice and make it into a new thread for you.

Not exactly what I was looking for, but I can work with it.

Slavedriver.

I'll give it around 8 hours. If you're still off-topic then, I'll cut off a slice and make it into a new thread for you.

Cheers :D

(...and for the record, I prefer to be on the recieving end of the whip. That's how I roll...)

Now, back on topic:
...there is an Interstate Highway, (I-828,) to the south east of Night City, joining up with I-5 which is the main north/south connection for both Claifornia's. (Yep, there are two in 2020 - check out the "Home of the Brave" sourcebook.) There are also the ruins if I-1, (to the north and south through the city,) and I-101, (off to the east,) which we both destoryed in the Claifornian Seperation War back in 2011, (hence why there is NorCal, (North California,) and SoCal, (South California.) In 2020, the I-828 is not as dangerous as it was, due to the gunships of the NorcAl Highway Patrol policing it, keeping it largely free from Nomad Raiders and Terrorists, (largely, not fully...) The same cannot be said for I-5, where it is recommended travelers ride in armoured vehicles and pack assault weapons as a minimum, as well as 'sufficent' credit to pay the "Transit Taxes", (read - bribes,) on the SoCal border.
I posted that in the "Avoiding the Tedium" thread.

The I-1 appears to run through Night city, from north to south. Thing is, it no longer goes anywhere, due to big chunks of it being demolished during the seperation war. It is effectively two dead ends. Do we think this would be a suitable location for Nomad packs to hole up for a while? Do we think that the remnants of the Interstate would still be around by 2077, or would they have been completely demolished?

The I-1 appears to run through Night city, from north to south. Thing is, it no longer goes anywhere, due to big chunks of it being demolished during the seperation war. It is effectively two dead ends. Do we think this would be a suitable location for Nomad packs to hole up for a while? Do we think that the remnants of the Interstate would still be around by 2077, or would they have been completely demolished?
Hm. Interesting bit of speculation.

I'd imagine that if that section of Pacific Coast Highway (ie, Interstate 1) was still serviceable through Night City, the locals would still use it to get from Point A to Point B, at least within the areas in and immediately around Night City. That is, provided an entity / entities maintained the upkeep.

Historically, the California Department of Transportation (Caltrans) is / was responsible for the upkeep of Federal and State highways. With California fracturing into NorCal and SoCal, my best guess would be that *if* that section of PCH was still being used, it'd be the local corporations that'd be maintaining the upkeep.

Hm. Interesting bit of speculation.

I'd imagine that if that section of Pacific Coast Highway (ie, Interstate 1) was still serviceable through Night City, the locals would still use it to get from Point A to Point B, at least within the areas in and immediately around Night City. That is, provided an entity / entities maintained the upkeep.

Historically, the California Department of Transportation (Caltrans) is / was responsible for the upkeep of Federal and State highways. With California fracturing into NorCal and SoCal, my best guess would be that *if* that section of PCH was still being used, it'd be the local corporations that'd be maintaining the upkeep.

Exactly... I mean there is a reason that bit was never mentioned before or after... after 10 years the roads would be back in serviceable condition... the highways are too important to commerce. I mean they may have gone ahead and abandoned highway 1, or just left it as a scenic drive... but 101 is still fully operational according to the map of North America present in HOB and LOF.

If it doesn't go anywhere there is little reason for nomads to travel it other than perhaps a few small camps or maybe a pirate farm or two... and without prey the raffen shiv wouldn't hang around there either., except maybe a really small group just hoping to waylay the occasional lost traveler...

Provided that stretch of I-1 wasn't being used for commuting regularly, I could see a squatter / Nomad community being set up, not unlike the description of the Bridge in Gibson's Bridge trilogy.

My favourite thing about playing a nomad was always the contrast angle: we have freedom - you have slavery. We have families - you have nothing you can trust. We have space - you have concrete. A nomad in the city was a dirty, dusty well-armed testament to the Truth of the Open Road and a big old Fuck You to corporate control.

The wasteland, for me, is about more than a place for nomads to go.* The wastelands provide that necessary contrast to the city - the geographic equivalent to seeing a nomad in the city, is seeing the wastelands outside the city. Freedom, speed, blue skies and no logos. The space to have a hope for more than just kibble and a dull, grinding life in economic slavery to a greedy mega company, ending by being made redundant then staring out at dirty cement walls while the last of your life leeches into the shabby linoleum.

Free space and a direction away from hopeless, in other words, is what the wastelands should represent.

When those "free spaces" turn out also to be chock-full of things that will kill you and strip your car, well, that's just cyberpunk, baby.

*Besides, nomads smell. Bad. Like week-old roadkill bad. What, you think they have clean water out there? Ha! Worst part is they don't realise it, so they never clean up, so they smell worse so...

*Besides, nomads smell. Bad. Like week-old roadkill bad. What, you think they have clean water out there? Ha! Worst part is they don't realise it, so they never clean up, so they smell worse so...

Heard recently that humans are among the three most stinky species on the Mother Earth :D

My favourite thing about playing a nomad was always the contrast angle: we have freedom - you have slavery. We have families - you have nothing you can trust. We have space - you have concrete. A nomad in the city was a dirty, dusty well-armed testament to the Truth of the Open Road and a big old Fuck You to corporate control.

The wasteland, for me, is about more than a place for nomads to go.* The wastelands provide that necessary contrast to the city - the geographic equivalent to seeing a nomad in the city, is seeing the wastelands outside the city. Freedom, speed, blue skies and no logos. The space to have a hope for more than just kibble and a dull, grinding life in economic slavery to a greedy mega company, ending by being made redundant then staring out at dirty cement walls while the last of your life leeches into the shabby linoleum.

Free space and a direction away from hopeless, in other words, is what the wastelands should represent.

When those "free spaces" turn out also to be chock-full of things that will kill you and strip your car, well, that's just cyberpunk, baby.

Nomads smell like freedom... and petrol... and sweat... but mostly freedom...

Everything else you said was beautiful though.

Yes the rest is great.

About nomads... I believe that Spider Jeruslem before he got back on the streets of the LA he was a perfect example of a nomad although a bit isolated and psyched he lived in his house outside the city in the mountains away from the civilization. I'd love to see some places and people like this in the wastelands... I'd love to see:

*Some guys who live or try to live like a century ago(wear ordinary clothes from our times, use some traditional tools and items of everyday use, maybe some coal powered cooking station,ovens etc. )
* People who have their lil farms and try to cultivate fruits and vegetables the ordinary way under the glass because in some way they acquired seeds.
* Some rare forms of wildlife. Maybe something like in Transmetropolitan a park for preservation of old tribes etc.
* Finally maybe its obvious and linked to the previous things but still I'd love to find some mysterious-epic shit like: relicts from the past or parts of the unknown objects possibly alien origin(sth like in fallout)

Yes the rest is great.

About nomads... I believe that Spider Jeruslem before he got back on the streets of the LA he was a perfect example of a nomad although a bit isolated and psyched he lived in his house outside the city in the mountains away from the civilization. I'd love to see some places and people like this in the wastelands... I'd love to see:

*Some guys who live or try to live like a century ago(wear ordinary clothes from our times, use some traditional tools and items of everyday use, maybe some coal powered cooking station,ovens etc. )
* People who have their lil farms and try to cultivate fruits and vegetables the ordinary way under the glass because in some way they acquired seeds.
* Some rare forms of wildlife. Maybe something like in Transmetropolitan a park for preservation of old tribes etc.
* Finally maybe its obvious and linked to the previous things but still I'd love to find some mysterious-epic shit like: relicts from the past or parts of the unknown objects possibly alien origin(sth like in fallout)

I was kinda down with you until the last bits... but please, no alien shit, no supernatural shit, no super powers or any of that... it jsut doesn't fit with the Cyberpunk setting, and ins't necessary. That shit gets added to everything else, leave Cyberpunk pure.

And really mate, 1977 and 2077 aren;t really going to look that different in terms of tools, or even clothes... it;s not like 1977 is going to be the new amish for cyberpunk. I mean retro fashion will obviously be a thing hopefully, cause I damn sure want to see some blacksploitation and funk inspired gangs and neighborhoods... but it's not really going to look all that out of place. I mean we still have people today who wear mullets and bell bottoms.

I was kinda down with you until the last bits... but please, no alien shit, no supernatural shit, no super powers or any of that... it jsut doesn't fit with the Cyberpunk setting, and ins't necessary. That shit gets added to everything else, leave Cyberpunk pure.

And really mate, 1977 and 2077 aren;t really going to look that different in terms of tools, or even clothes... it;s not like 1977 is going to be the new amish for cyberpunk. I mean retro fashion will obviously be a thing hopefully, cause I damn sure want to see some blacksploitation and funk inspired gangs and neighborhoods... but it's not really going to look all that out of place. I mean we still have people today who wear mullets and bell bottoms.

Hmm I kinda liked that feel of mystery and finding possibly the ONLY alien weapon in the game universe and exploring some mystic ruins etc. BUT IF DOESN"T FIT CYBERPUNK.... shame really...

Yeah about retro fashion I think you are right every time has got its own retro and in 2077 there will always be some hipsters who would wear what we do today. Anyway I'd like to see some old-fasioned flats and old stylish interiors that would be another level of immersion.... You know: "Wow it's been a while since 2000's its a different World now.Things have changed" kind of feel...

Hmm I kinda liked that feel of mystery and finding possibly the ONLY alien weapon in the game universe and exploring some mystic ruins etc. BUT IF DOESN"T FIT CYBERPUNK.... shame really...

Yeah about retro fashion I think you are right every time has got its own retro and in 2077 there will always be some hipsters who would wear what we do today. Anyway I'd like to see some old-fasioned flats and old stylish interiors that would be another level of immersion.... You know: "Wow it's been a while since 2000's its a different World now.Things have changed" kind of feel...

I think you will find plenty of of modern age flats and apartments and even a few houses in the combat zones and ghettos and out in the wastelands... since rural americ was abandoned, the buildings out there would look pretty much like they do today.

Top Bottom