The Witcher 3 and CDPR Appreciation thread

+
Witcher 3 is one of the best game, if not the best game that I have played in my entire life. It was perfect, or as close to perfection as you can get.

The story and plot was brilliant, the feels were great, the graphics were mind blowing, the combat is the best of the franchise yet and the best part is that the game treats me like an adult. Oh, and the lack of DRM nonsense coupled with good DLC just made this game.

Witcher 3 is the benchmark for games, especially modern AAA RPG games.

I couldn't agree more with just about everyone on this thread. The Witcher 3 is the best game I have personally ever played. I struggled with actually "admitting" this for quite awhile given that I have played some phenomenal games over the years! Currently, I am on my 9th run through of the game and still find things in the story that amaze me. Overall, I just wanted to pop in and give my two sense on the topic. And a huge thank you to CD PROJEKT RED for making such a great game.

I wish more companies did what CD Projekt Red did with Witcher 3

I recently bought Witcher 3 and after opening the game I was totally surprised by all the cool stuff in it! I seriously thought I had gotten some sort of Deluxe Edition by mistake, but no, the Standard Edition for Witcher 3 comes with a bunch of awesome content!

CD Projekt Red is the only game company that has ever left an ACTUAL THANK-YOU note inside their game, just by reading it you can tell how much they care! Obviously it costed money to print it and put one in each game, but CD Projekt must care more about the players than they do about money.

In addition to the thank-you note, they also put in a couple stickers, a Compendium on the Witcher (which gives background info on the story, characters, setting), a detailed world map, and the nearly extinct game manual. And finally, they included a physical copy of the soundtrack.

I was blown away by all this stuff that was given to me for purchasing the standard game, they EASILY could have put all that stuff into a "Deluxe Edition" and sold it for $80 but they didn't.

Not to mention, they released a series of free dlc's after the game was released. Again, they easily could've charged a couple bucks for some of those things but didn't.

In the current gen of gaming, it seems like companies like CD Projekt Red are few and far between. Yet, it feels like a lot of AAA games *cough Destiny *cough Battlefront, are trying as hard as they can to get people to buy DLC. Whereas Witcher 3 offers both paid and free DLC.

Just from the presentation and content included with the standard edition, makes me wish that more companies did the same.

What do you guys think about what Witcher 3 did with it's case and free DLC it offered? What could other AAA games learn from Witcher 3?

TLDR Witcher 3 gave players a bunch of free physical "goodies" and free DLC. They included many things that other companies would easily charge an extra $20 for. What do you think about this?

@TheActMan , it's always nice to see positive feedback like yours. Thanks for joining the Forums to share your impressions! You'll find like-minded comments in this thread. Post moved.

Last edited:
I only bought a hard copy of TW1 because of the generous content and physical bonuses included. I hadn't heard of the Witcher or CDPR. So it seems their approach to offering value really works.

I think I finally get it now. It took a while but after savoring this game's story I understand CDPR's writing genius. (tl;dr)

I enjoyed this game the second I bought it. I enjoyed every thing about it (except for maybe the items you could only equip when you were at a certain level) I even felt like a kid again opening a Christmas present when I got that large collector's edition in the mail. I still remember what I was doing on the day I got it in the mail. I was shadowing a media production company in the heart of Indiana. After I got in the car to go home, I realized that the package surely would have arrived while I was gone. I gave a holler so loud in the car I gave myself a sore throat. No, I wish I was joking. But this isn't about me. This is about CDPR right now. Sorry for digressing..

It is now 2/27/2016 and I am still playing The Witcher 3. But I believe I finally comprehend why this game is so good. The real, genuine reason. It dawned on me when I reached Skellige and met up with Yenneffer. I had romanced her before in countless other playthroughs (each time I would act hostile to Yen, even though I knew I was going to have her retire with Geralt at the end of the story). This time I tried to change things up. Even though I vastly prefer a happy ending with Triss in this game, I decided to be nice to Yen instead.

Okay, I can tell some of you are getting itchy keyboard fingers. Try and hold off on hitting that back button because I can assure you this is not another insipid romance thread. Anywho....

I noticed that Yenneffer was reciprocating the niceness I was showing to her. Whereas in other games, like Mass Effect 3, if I choose to be a complete asshat to....oh, I don't know, Liara? She reacts in exactly the same manner as if I had given her a sugar-coated statement of encouragement, or at least close to it. Same with many other characters. Oh they probably talk back and give you some lip whenever you make Shepard tell them off but...it doesn't feel organic.

In the Witcher 3, it's as if CDPR...you know, respects the characters Sapkowski has thought up. They treat the writing itself with respect as well. If I'm an asshat to Yenneffer, it turns the relationship toxic, albeit we still end up together at the end if I make the right choices with Ciri. In other words, I only make the relationship toxic with Yen if I make it so with my dialogue choices. A self-fulfilling prophecy as you may say. But that's not even half of how impressed I am with this game's RPG mechanics. Even if you're toxic to Yen, you can still end up together and make your own happy ending with her so it's not like you're punished for making RPG decisions in an RPG game. What am I getting at you ask?

Not only does CDPR probably respect the writing, the characters; but they also respect the RPG experience! Making choices is all well and good but there's really no incentive to do so if you're punished for making a decision to go a certain way. Not many other developers, if at all, seem to quite get this concept. And even when they get close to realizing it, they mess up badly by railroading the player into an ending the developers deign as appropriate or suitable for the choices you made along the way. I want to thank you CDPR. And that's no small feat; since I am playing the game right now and had to ALT+TAB because I couldn't resist the inexorable pull to this forum anymore.

I hope I do not come across as a brown noser or an ass kisser. Because this is something I hold close to my chest. And please, the avatar I am using right now is more of an ironic statement in regards to the industry at large, rather than the shining beacon of light that is CDPR. Honestly, I really just wanted to make this thread because I believe that going above and beyond the call of interactive development duty should be rewarded. Many people today just want to make a fuss when they see a flaw, but have no inclination to praise when a developer clearly knows what they're doing and-more importantly-clearly cares about the product they offer to the consumer.

CDPR, you've given a very tired and jaded video game fan hope for the future.

Last edited:
exactly, cdprojektred is unique in this aspect, you can do whatever you want good or bad or neurtal and the story oges on and there is no generic outcome, everythin yu do is ok, the story just adapts

One thing that stands out from this though. The fact that you can't get the venomous viper silver sword if you don't want to cross O'Dimm's path. That's been bothering me and always will.

Very true iCake. God himself may be omniscient (I'm a Deist, wanna fight about it?). He may be all powerful. And I'm almost certain he loves the Earth and the people who dwell on it. But I don't think even God is without at least some flaws.

The real, genuine reason. It dawned on me when I reached Skellige and met up with Yenneffer. I had romanced her before in countless other playthroughs (each time I would act hostile to Yen, even though I knew I was going to have her retire with Geralt at the end of the story). This time I tried to change things up. Even though I vastly prefer a happy ending with Triss in this game, I decided to be nice to Yen instead.

Sorry about the off-topic, but I do not entirely understand the reasoning behind the bolded parts. You kept making a choice that you vastly did not prefer in countless playthroughs, while each time acting hostile towards your chosen (but non-preferred) romance. Of course, it is your choice, but I wonder if there is some specific reason to make such choices ?

Edit: I guess the recent discussion in this other thread might be relevant.

Last edited:
Ok so I am back after a long ass time, just played the HoS expansion ------------ BLEW MY MIND!!!!

Master Mirror (Main Vilian) what a character (the way he casually walks down from the sky :what3:

absolutley brilliant - and love how long it is, a real expansion.

But the very best part, the soundtrack - the OST for this entire game has been the best I have ever heard, but when I heard this play: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYmOIzU36Zs
I got so pumped up - I play it on repeat when im working out/ in the gym now

Sorry about the off-topic, but I do not entirely understand the reasoning behind the bolded parts. You kept making a choice that you vastly did not prefer in countless playthroughs, while each time acting hostile towards your chosen (but non-preferred) romance. Of course, it is your choice, but I wonder if there is some specific reason to make such choices ?

Edit: I guess the recent discussion in this other thread might be relevant.

To genuinely answer your question?

Because I love to role play in video games.

This game is amazing!

After avoiding this game for nearly a year, because I thought the name "wild hunt" sounded a bit goofy, and assumed it would be overhyped like watch dogs was, I never bothered to buy it. I recently picked it up because a friend told me that I really missed out on this one. Well....

This game is bloody amazing, I only bothered to make an account here to say thanks.... So thanks, to everyone involved in making this game. I have been getting so sick of buying games with seasonpassGOLD++royalflushPremiumSWAG edition to find out the games broken and its some half baked concept that really needed months if not years more development time. I preordered DICEs battlefront last year, and after seeing how little we got, and just how unfinished the game was, I shed a tear, is this the direction gaming is heading? unfinished, expensive, shallow games approved by EA as they strap some Milkmaster3000 to the masses, surgically extracting all the creativity out of the industry!

Regardless weather this game was good or not, its clear that effort was put into making this game... and that is such a rare thing to see with a lot of modern games! Thank you for keeping the industry humble! and your game is amazing... Cant wait to see what you guys do with Cyberpunk.

Sincerely,
a fan

Long-time Sapkowski fan starting first Witcher 3 play-through!

Dearest users and devs,

I have been a long-time fan of Andrzej Sapkowski and the Witcher series of books (and games). I just cracked open my copy of The Witcher III for Xbox One. As I opened the packaging, the cellophane crinkled and released that beautiful chemically game smell--something I still relish after all these years.

To my surprise I was greeted with a thank you message from CDProjekt Red, along with a few small booklets explaining the lore of the Witcher world. I love when game companies include this readable material. It may not be environmentally safe, I know, but it takes me back to the good old Warcraft/Blizzard days when you would open up the game and read the background story and be dazzled by the awesomeness of the sketches and drawings (Metzen anyone?).

Anyways, I just thought I'd pop in and say hello and thank both the game developers and player base. I'm really excited to get into the game. I hope this is not against any forum rules, but I also wanted to let everyone know I'll be streaming my play-through (hopefully every moment of it) at https://www.twitch.tv/trexcapades. I'm a new streamer and half of everything donated to my channel goes directly to charity.

I just want to have fun, get deeply immersed into the game, and become Geralt for a few hours every day! Have a great day everyone. Hope to see you around.

P.S. I live in Colorado, but my wife is Polish. Haha! In fact she's speaking Polish in the background as I write this! (Only relevant because CDProjeckt Red is a Polish game dev). =D

Welcome to the forums and I hope you enjoy your game as much as I did :) I have been trying to play other games after Witcher 3, but it seems hopeless. Other games feels so dull after Witcher experience. Maybe I'll start my fifth Witcher 3 game when Blood And Wine comes out ;)

It would be really nice if you put updates here from time to time, based on your experiences or what you think about how the game is made. It would be really good for the devs to read too I believe :) A virtual gaming diary if you will.

Other than that, good luck and have fun with the amazing experiences mate, and welcome to the club! :) I will try to follow your streams when I'm able to.

Hey Ark,

Thank for the reply. I started playing yesterday and got the basics of combat, crafting and loot down. I already love the game. I am playing on the "Blood and Bones" difficulty for now, which I hope will force me to be more strategic with my play style.

I just went to town to craft my first piece of chest armor and buy some food. Now I'm heading out to the haunted well and, of course, stopping at all the question marks along the way.

So far I love the game. Though I have to say I KNEW when Yennefer and her booty were all over the scene at the very beginning that I must be dreaming! Lo and behold, I was! Haha.

---------- Updated at 02:49 PM ----------

---------- Updated at 02:49 PM ----------

Fifth play through--way to go man! I have a few friends who have played through it several times as well. I really feel like I'm settling in to the gameplay. And the game is utterly beautiful.

This game, like many other RPGs, scratches my "go to every question mark and loot every herb" itch. Haha!

Thx for the reply and cheers!

Last edited:
Top Bottom