The Witcher vs. other RPGs

+
The Witcher vs. other RPGs

Which game do you think will be better-Oblivion or this game? Honestly, I think this game is because it looks like it is going to have a better storyline and an actual character, unlike Oblivion.

I actually don't know, I'm looking forward to them both very much. When I've played them, I'll let you know.

OMFG, its so retarted to ask this question. Even that both games are RPGs they are totaly different. Its like asking whats better Gothic or Elders? none, both are cool games, they are different as well as witcher different from G/E. BTW i like The Witcher alot because of it environment really reminds me central-eastern europe, which have very nice nature and history.

I think the two games have quite a different gameplay and flavour. they do not compete in the same sport! So I'll play both.I love the freedom and open endedness of TES, and I fell in love with the Witcher graphisms and ambiance.... Of course, the style of Witcher combined with the size and freedom of TES would be even better!

I guess this thread is from before Oblivion came out, and didn't live up to the hype, but still...The style of the Witcher combined with the "size and freedom" of TES would be preposterous.Let's look at the different philosophies behind these different games:-The Witcher: fun gameplay comes from a good engine but, primarily, from a lot of good hand-made content. Non-linear quests, intriguing storylines, etc.-Oblivion: what if we just auto-generate a huge world and don't spend any time on content at all?In Oblivion, you have "freedom" if "freedom" means "walk anywhere, kill anything" but if you want "freedom" to encompass anything more than those two simple actions, you're hosed. Conversations are absurdly linear, and for most people, your only option is to ask for rumors. There's a whole (terrible) minigame for persuasion, so you'd think you could be bending people to your wishes, only it only comes up like twice in the game, except when you're using it to get lower prices from shopkeepers. That's not "freedom."

Oblivion is fun for awhile but than it gets repetitve. I am intreasted in seeing how the Witcher turns out.

Balu said:
OMFG, its so retarted to ask this question. Even that both games are RPGs they are totaly different. Its like asking whats better Gothic or Elders? none, both are cool games, they are different as well as witcher different from G/E.
I completly agree with you, besides The Witcher is going to be placed in a original universe that has not been done yet. Were to Oblivion is the same world for two last games but I am not sure.

kdar

Forum veteran
I played Oblivion and wasn't glad that I got that game... it gets boring after a while, real boring...

I think we really won't know for sure until The Witcher comes out of course. I am looking forward to this game though, and I'm sure it will be alot more action-oriented than oblivion.

Oblivion was a great game IMO, and I think The Witcher will be too, but for different reasons. I really, really like how there's no obvious "right" and no obvious "wrong" choice to make in The Witcher...that's always been something that bothers me about games, how the choices you have to make are so juvenile and clearly presented to allow you to pick either the "good" outcome or the "evil" outcome. Everybody these days talks about games becoming more immersive, more like real life, and I think that having to make morally ambiguous choices, and choose the lesser evil as you see it, is an essential step in doing this. In the real world, things are rarely clear-cut - there are always shades of grey, and you don't have a quicksave button to immediatly go back and fix things if they don't go as you wanted them too. I'm very glad The Witcher is trying to present choices and consequences that make you stop and think, and never really leave you fully satisfied with the outcome.

Oblivion has already failed - for me. On the mainstream mass market, it was however a huge success.If the Witcher will be fun to play, and if it will be a success - we'll see in the next year (hopefully).

Oblivion lasted a month for me and I was done with it. I have not touched it since then. It was a sheer disappointment to me. Sure, it was very pretty at max settings and ran fine on my system but it seemed shallow and rather dead. The fact that Bethesda launched a pay add-on 2-3 weeks after release for horse armor really turned me off as well. What was once a great company in my opinion pretty much hung itself for long time RPG players.I have been more excited about TW since the beginning of its news to us all. This game has me quite hyped and I cannot wait to get inside this world and play the game. I am also looking forward to NWN2, Dragon age, and the Lord of the Rings White Council has my interest also.

Sorry to say that, but 'Oblivion' sucks ass - big disappointment. Just compare it to 'The Witcher' (in Oblivion everything is so clean and nice)... If NWN2 also fail, there will be only one cRPG king - THE WITCHER !!!

Top Bottom