Thing to try to get the game running on vista.

+
Thing to try to get the game running on vista.

Here is a list of thing that have worked for people to get the game running under Vista. If you have more to add, do so, i will put them in the first post. Control Panel -> User Accounts ->Turn User Account Control On or Off.Untick the box which say: 'Use User Account Control (UAC) to help protect your computer'.rebootFrom the Windows command line: BCDEDIT /set IncreaseUserVa 2800Then you must reboot your computer.Start -> Control Panel -> System -> Device Manager -> disk drives -> double click on your(s) hard drive ->policies -> Remove check for Enable Write Caching on the disk.right click on your shortcut, go to properties, compatibility, put a check to disable visual theme and Disable desktop compositionDo the same thing for Witcher.exe found in c:\program files\the witcher\system\Start the game from the file Witcher.exe found in c:\program files\the witcher\system\If you get an error message with Side by Side in it:Uninstall Visual C++ redistributable from the add/remove program panelDownload and install .Net Framework 1.1 and 1.1sp from MicrosoftRun Vista UpdateDownload and install Visual C++ redistributable again from microsoft (Note: Vista 64 will have to download the X86 and X64 version, install both despite the warnings)If you have a message saying that d3ddx9_35.dll is missing, look for the file on google ad save it to your c:\windows\system32\ Folder. To be able to do so, you will need to have the UAC turned off or Vista will prevent you from doing it.Edit 1: To include silenthunter suggestions

Mobidoy said:
right click on your shortcut, go to properties, compatibility, put a check to disable theme.... [Disable visual themes]Do the same thing for Witcher.exe found in c:\program files\the witcher\system\Start the game from the file Witcher.exe found in c:\program files\the witcher\system\
Checking "Disable desktop composition" as well as "Disable visual themes" will turn off Aero while the game is running and improves performance significantly.

Mobidoy - I always check your post dailey of tech issues and I will have to say that I admire you the way you handle this forum and answers.Your determination to help others find solutions to get the Witcher to run has been very time consuming on your end.With your help and experise I have manage to bypass the system requirements error thanks.Even though with this new posting with vista issues I am still unable to launch the game yet.I am still not giving up though because I know this is a great game and I am so glad I have the patience to wait for some fixes.In the mean time I am planning on seeing what else I can tweak to maybe get it up and running.I bought this game when it first came out and even though I have a brand new pc ,running vista and plus direct x 10(which only runs on vista..I understand that with anything new ( programs, drivers and computers)there is going to be issues..I just chalk it up and learning more in the process. Just wanted to thanks and looking for more post to help with the vista issues..

kindreddarlin said:
Mobidoy - I always check your post dailey of tech issues and I will have to say that I admire you the way you handle this forum and answers.Your determination to help others find solutions to get the Witcher to run has been very time consuming on your end.With your help and experise I have manage to bypass the system requirements error thanks.Even though with this new posting with vista issues I am still unable to launch the game yet.I am still not giving up though because I know this is a great game and I am so glad I have the patience to wait for some fixes.In the mean time I am planning on seeing what else I can tweak to maybe get it up and running.I bought this game when it first came out and even though I have a brand new pc ,running vista and plus direct x 10(which only runs on vista..I understand that with anything new ( programs, drivers and computers)there is going to be issues..I just chalk it up and learning more in the process. Just wanted to thanks and looking for more post to help with the vista issues..
*Blush* Wow, thank you :) If you want me to look into your problem more in depth, i will gladly do it... You simply need to send me some reports and i will have a look into it... If you want to do it, let me know, i will post what i do need from you :)

From the Windows command line: BCDEDIT /set IncreaseUserVa 2800Then you must reboot your computer.
Could you please explain this more? I have tried everything else you said to no success, but am unsure how to take this step.I used search program and typed in "command line" and got an MS-DOS program to run, but it did not recognize any of the commands you provided.

Ceorl said:
From the Windows command line: BCDEDIT /set IncreaseUserVa 2800Then you must reboot your computer.
Could you please explain this more? I have tried everything else you said to no success, but am unsure how to take this step.I used search program and typed in "command line" and got an MS-DOS program to run, but it did not recognize any of the commands you provided.
If you have done the UAC thing, you should be able to do that one. Press the Windows key and the R key at the same time, a black window (Dos box) will open.In that windows, type BCDEDIT /set IncreaseUserVa 2800then press enter, it should write couple of things real fast then the windows will close by it self....

Thanks Mobidoy,Let me know what kind of reports you need and where I need to go to retrieve those reports for you. ::)Hugs

Need clarification. after setting UserVA.... do I need to reboot? is this permament? or something that I need to do before I play the game each time? does it have any negative effects on other progs?

after setting UserVA.... do I need to reboot? NOis this permament? YES but you can revert it backsomething that I need to do before I play the game each time? NOdoes it have any negative effects on other progs? Not that i have heard of yet

Is it possible that those changes mentioned in the OP could influence the computer being switched into hibernation (or what is it called in English)?When I choose hibernation mode, the Win exits, 'power-button' starts flashing - so the regular thing. However the cooler is still working and there is no way I can de-hibernate. Only 'reset' helps. Any ideas?

System : Intel Core 2 Extreme Edition QX6850 Quad Core 3.0GHz 2x4MB 1333MHz FSB8GB DDR II 800 nVidia SLI RAM (2GB x 4) (OCZ)ASUS Striker Extreme SLI Mother Board + Bios 1305 (supposedly?)Western Digital 1000GB 7200RPM 16MB Cache Serial ATA II2x XFX 8800 Ultra 768mb 1010 Watt OCZ GamerXStream SLI Power SupplyThermaltake V1 Copper CPU Cooler CL-P0401Thermaltake Kandalf SECC CSE w/ Liquid Cooling VD4000BWS Side WindowVista Home Premium (64bit) fully upated.The Witcher 1.2No UAC, Security center or other such brainless crap, minimal services to maintain necessary system functionality.Things tested:Omega Drivers w/ SLI (bad crashes and general instability with basically everything)Omega Drivers w/o SLI (crashes)169.25 WHQL w/SLI (crashes, inconsistent and not as predictable as when using Omega)169.25 WHQL w/o SLI (No crashes, performance fine but disabling a expensive video card is out of the question)169.28 beta solved stability issues and I am able to run with SLI enabled, both cards going with everything cranked up to the max.I only "caught on" to what was happening after noticing ATITool was having/causing the same problems with various driver installs.Anyway, a decent bit of the problem is/was on Nvidia's end, 169.28 beta being the only "stable" drivers to use with SLI and The Witcher under Vista 64 for me.

I am running under Vista, but now that I'm in the trade quarter the game dies whenerver I try to save. I have installed the patch.

hhandloff said:
I am running under Vista, but now that I'm in the trade quarter the game dies whenerver I try to save. I have installed the patch.
Don't worry, I've got the same problem. At idle state, memory is not an issue on my computer anymore, I am now at 412 MB commit charge (vs. the usual 700 MB if you do not optimize your PC) under Vista 32-bit with a Geforce 8 GTX, E6850, 2GB and with Norton 360 running !. However, the game still crashes when I try to save at the trade quarter (I can save anywhere else without trouble). Trade quarter is known for causing many issues and you should avoid going there after 30-45 minutes of gameplay- Above all, you should avoid saving your game when you do not happen to be inside a house when in trade quarter. Most missions take place in the temple quarter and swamp anyway, so an unstable trade quarter is not that annoying ...

I tried everything in this post and updated my Nvidia drivers to 169.28 beta...I was amazed at the fact I actually got to play the game for a whopping 2 minutes and 30 seconds. I'm glad I paid good money for this awesome game I get to play in stints of 2 to 3 minutes. Another method you guys might try if you're still having problems: a sledge hammer to the PC works wonders.

hey. i'm using vista and the game crashes after about 10 minutes of playing.no error message or anything it just cuts out and i'm back at the desktop. i've installed the patch and i think i've installed the hot fix as well. i fiddled around with it about a month ago but i'm thinking that it didn't get installed. is there a way for me to check if it's installed?

Hi, my problem is the game does not run. when i click the icon it simply does not give any indication. i tried the method mention above but still i am facing the same problem as if the game is died. any suggestion? i am under vista ultimate 32 bit. i have 2 gb ram and ATI graphic card 512 ram ddr2.

Top Bottom