This is a barebones RPG. Someone had to say it.

+
As far as I know, there is only 1 mission in the game's story where choices and consequences play a big role. And that's The Pickup where V buys a spider bot.
In all the other story missions, the developers barely even try to create the illusion of choice: most of the dialogue contains only one answer choice and could easily have been replaced by cutscenes.

Now let's compare this to The Witcher 3, which has twice as long storyline. Almost every story quest has choices and consequences. Meeting the Baron's men and dialogue with them leads to different ways to meet the Baron himself. Next you go to The Pellar and can solve the conflict by peace or battle, next you meet Botchling and your decision leads to two different story quests.

I really don't understand why CD Projekt Red cut almost all the choices and consequences from the Cyberpunk 2077 storyline.
This is super accurate.

They give you dialogue options but the progressing piece of dialogue is always the one option with the occasional 3 "Yellow" options to choose from but even those converge back into the same result...

I really dont understand how these guys dropped the ball so hard. its clear the loss of a lot of the staff from TW3 really hurt them.

Last edited:
In all the other story missions, the developers barely even try to create the illusion of choice: most of the dialogue contains only one answer choice and could easily have been replaced by cutscenes.
Exactly. For instance, take the mission (MINOR SPOILER) that you follow to steal the relic. When you and Jackie are on the window's edge, it comes the Arasaka's "war elicopter" that pulls out the gun and asks you two to stop and surrender, otherwise it's going to shoot. So the timed dialogue option appears, and the only option you have is to "jump". I wondered, what if I actually stopped moving? What would happen? So I waited the timer to run out.. and the helicopter shot me. So basically, WHY THE FOCK are you giving me a "choice" between dying and saving my butts? This is not a choice, it's like a Google's "I'm not a bot" reCAPTCHA, almost like checking if the player is asleep or not.

Guest 4406876

I totally agree with OP.

What is not understable is how the lead devs are not aware of this? They have the duty and the honor of being in charge of such a project, and it's as if they woke up in the morning complaining about the position they have. Instead of using their creativity every single day on these 7/8 years of development, to improve every aspect of the game. I don't get it.
There's tons of games where the art guys deliver big time, hell basically all of them trust me. They are beyond being professional and talented. The problem of this game isn't the effort in such departments, or the quality of things visually, or the audio (well besides some incostintency between the audio volume during some dialogues, the quality is still good) but more what it was designed to do. The missing features and so on, the lack of obvious QoL and the general direction of the game and how it was presented to us prior purchase.
This is the problem. It's a mediocre game, with so much talent in visuals and audio it's beyond understanding.
Well and yes at a technical level bugs, but that's understandable and even if there's many, they didn't really impact my experience to the point of all the rest that's missing and/or poorly implemented.
Art, visuals, audio, modelling, characters = 10
Game = 5
And I struggle to understand why is that.

Exactly. For instance, take the mission (MINOR SPOILER) that you follow to steal the relic. When you and Jackie are on the window's edge, it comes the Arasaka's "war elicopter" that pulls out the gun and asks you two to stop and surrender, otherwise it's going to shoot. So the timed dialogue option appears, and the only option you have is to "jump". I wondered, what if I actually stopped moving? What would happen? So I waited the timer to run out.. and the helicopter shot me. So basically, WHY THE FOCK are you giving me a "choice" between dying and saving my butts? This is not a choice, it's like a Google's "I'm not a bot" reCAPTCHA, almost like checking if the player is asleep or not.

This particular instance that you're describing and the absolute over saturation of similar aspects in gaming regardless of where they show up in games whether it's dialog options or the actual mechanics of the gameplay is for me one of the most frustrating things about modern gaming. It feels so condescending and patronizing. I can't decide if its the devs who aren't too bright or if the devs just think gamers are morons.

Guest 4406876

This particular instance that you're describing and the absolute over saturation of similar aspects in gaming regardless of where they show up in games whether it's dialog options or the actual mechanics of the gameplay is for me one of the most frustrating things about modern gaming. It feels so condescending and patronizing. I can't decide if its the devs who aren't too bright or if the devs just think gamers are morons.
Considering the marketing campaign I'd say the latter.

Considering the marketing campaign I'd say the latter.

You're most likely right.
download (7).jpg

Im level 15 and I already roll on every enemy with ease, im playing very hard difficulty, the skills trees are interesting but clearly they are too small.
I stopped there, now waiting forfixes and I hope more content.
Right now it just feel like the game is missing a lot of content, game has been rush to release before Christmas and that's it..

Anyone else feel like the game is what it is because some corporate bad guy was screaming release and they just had to? Hear me out..

Honestly the more I read about issues, missing promised features, bugs, game-play, story, etc, the more I truly believe this game was ordered to release by upper powers regardless of progress. I believe this started ever since the release date was revealed for April 16th hence the couple of delays. I bet the devs were screaming they needed more time.

Everything about this game screams that it's an Alpha build and they were still developing it. Nothing about the world makes sense. Not the AI, not the story, not the perks system, crafting system, how the inventory works... Everything is a complete mess and half baked and tells me that what we see in the game are really just place holders because the devs were still working on them. They gave us the bare minimum to make the powers that be happy. That's what I really feel like happened.

This is my list and why I believe the game wasn't truly finished like the devs wanted it to be. The answer to all the below questions is: "Sorry, they wouldn't listen and didn't give us the time to implement."

• Starting the story after the dumbest montage ever where everyone knows you and calls you like nonstop and you're standing there trying to process who the F are all those people? LET ME EXPERIENCE IT.
• Apartment is pointless since you don't even need to go there for your inventory. What else do I even use it for?
• Can't change your appearance or add anything to your body after initial design.
• Romances are gone the moment you finish the side guest story lines.
• Gangs might as well not exist in the game outside the story.
• Cops are a myth.
• A.I is something they've never heard of.
• People are zombies (or robots with no a.i?)
• City is giving North Korea truly great ideas. Nothing is real about it. It looks stunning, but what's the point of it all if I can't interact with it? I can't even walk for a good amount of time before I suddenly falling of the face of the map.
• No bars, no shops, no food stalls, mini games etc. I am alone in this world.
• No transportation services whatsoever even though they are already in the game.
• Why the hell do I get texts to buy cars? Where are the dealer shops?
• Every car 10 meters away is a cardboard box that disappears as you're looking at it.
• No randomly triggered events.
• The fact that you can't even continue playing the game after you finish the story.
• The whole crafting/Inventory system is mess to a point where I don't even know what I'm clicking half the time.

There are a ton more I could say but you get the idea. All these things tell me the devs were rushed into releasing and they said "F@#K it, they'll see the world burn over soon enough." This could also explain why they had to lie about the Xbox and PS4 dramas. Maybe? Not that it's okay. Still a horrible thing to do.

I've stopped playing the game the moment I finished the first play through. But I'll keep tracking the progress of this "idea" and hope the CDPR can honestly release the game they promised us... One day..

Guest 4406876

Im level 15 and I already roll on every enemy with ease, im playing very hard difficulty, the skills trees are interesting but clearly they are too small.
I stopped there, now waiting forfixes and I hope more content.
Right now it just feel like the game is missing a lot of content, game has been rush to release before Christmas and that's it..
These skill trees aren't skill trees, just passive that add %bonus here, % bonus there. They don't really open up gameplay possibilities. They are passives...skills are 3 in reality.
Post automatically merged:

Anyone else feel like the game is what it is because some corporate bad guy was screaming release and they just had to? Hear me out..

Honestly the more I read about issues, missing promised features, bugs, game-play, story, etc, the more I truly believe this game was ordered to release by upper powers regardless of progress. I believe this started ever since the release date was revealed for April 16th hence the couple of delays. I bet the devs were screaming they needed more time.

Everything about this game screams that it's an Alpha build and they were still developing it. Nothing about the world makes sense. Not the AI, not the story, not the perks system, crafting system, how the inventory works... Everything is a complete mess and half baked and tells me that what we see in the game are really just place holders because the devs were still working on them. They gave us the bare minimum to make the powers that be happy. That's what I really feel like happened.

This is my list and why I believe the game wasn't truly finished like the devs wanted it to be. The answer to all the below questions is: "Sorry, they wouldn't listen and didn't give us the time to implement."

• Starting the story after the dumbest montage ever where everyone knows you and calls you like nonstop and you're standing there trying to process who the F are all those people? LET ME EXPERIENCE IT.
• Apartment is pointless since you don't even need to go there for your inventory. What else do I even use it for?
• Can't change your appearance or add anything to your body after initial design.
• Cops are a myth.
• City is giving North Korea truly great ideas. Nothing is real about it. It looks stunning, but what's the point of it all if I can't interact with it? I can't even walk for a good amount of time before I suddenly falling of the face of the map.
• No transportation services whatsoever even though they are already in the game.
• Every car 10 meters away is a cardboard box that disappears as you're looking at it.
• The fact that you can't even continue playing the game after you finish the story.
• The whole crafting/Inventory system is mess to a point where I don't even know what I'm clicking half the time.

There are a ton more I could say but you get the idea. All these things tell me the devs were rushed into releasing and they said "F@#K it, they'll see the world burn over soon enough." This could also explain why they had to lie about the Xbox and PS4 dramas. Maybe? Not that it's okay. Still a horrible thing to do.

I've stopped playing the game the moment I finished the first play through. But I'll keep tracking the progress of this "idea" and hope the CDPR can honestly release the game they promised us... One day..
Sorry but to me it simply feels they ate more that they could chew. in 8 years you HAVE to come out with the basics done. If not you have to stop flexing a little. And "Corpos" just help this to emerge at some point. You have to deliver, or else self fund yourself, and come out when you want. They had the time and the money, PLENTY enough. And they didn't make it anyways.

Guest 4406876

You know what this game really needs? More interactivity with the world, interactable arcade machines, soda machines, barber and tattoo shops, gambling....etc.

I mean FFS it's a cyberpunk game, why can't I at least eat noodles in a bar :(
Because making you F some random NPC from the story is clearly more important and deserves more attention as a scripted sequence. (just one example of USELESS content that wasted time, you do these things AFTER you get the basics, not BEFORE). But I guess tits sell..just not to us.

These skill trees aren't skill trees, just passive that add %bonus here, % bonus there. They don't really open up gameplay possibilities. They are passives...skills are 3 in reality.
Post automatically merged:

Sorry but to me it simply feels they ate more that they could chew. in 8 years you HAVE to come out with the basics done. If not you have to stop flexing a little. And "Corpos" just help this to emerge at some point. You have to deliver, or else self fund yourself, and come out when you want. They had the time and the money, PLENTY enough. And they didn't make it anyways.

You might be right. But It's an itch I have for some reason. Who in their right mind would release this at this state? I'm pretty sure all our complaint's and issues are not new to the devs. Surely red flags were raised enough times. They've dealt with these bugs, issues well before we had the chance to.

But who knows... Could be all talk no show..

Now as someone who only based my expectations off things that were shown in the gameplay trailers as actual possible gameplay options/possibilities, the game is fine. I have around 50 hours. This post is NOT about the technical/performance issues. that deserves its own thread and there is plenty of them.
But Lets face it, this is not the RPG a lot of us hoped for. it appears that a lot has been removed and the world interactivity and AI just feels bland.
I have been somewhat a fanboy over the last few months and had very strong faith in CDPR, but I'm certainly not a blind follower... This game has let me and a lot of others down in the RPG side of things. They either got overwhelmed with their original plan and scrapped elements to make the date, or its due to them settling for a more cinematic experience halfway through and went with the "Action/Adventure" tag that it is now touted as.

Feel free to add anything else that I've missed or that other games (some over a decade old) have done or done better.
I don't believe these are ridiculous requests or expectations for and RPG
  • Character creation = Huge let down. don't deny it. and this isn't even me having huge expectations. Basic RPGs have had greater variety. No body sliders even JUST for things like making your character thinner, fatter or more jacked? I mean c'mon. Even GTA SA let you get jacked. it seems like they really focused on trivial things to build hype(looking at you genital customisation), rather than meaningful stuff that really lets you make your character an individual and like yourself.
  • Getting new Cyberware is Severely underwhelming. Changing out bodyparts and literally giving up parts of your humanity and body is like swapping out a mod on a gun. *click* and thats it, only cutscenes we got were for the Palm and eye upgrades which were part of the story. Cmon, not even a small cut scene that then fades to black?
  • No Barber? No Tattoo parlour? Give me a break. No change to your character after leaving the character creation is a joke. for a game that is all about creating your own merc and body modding being so prevalent in NC, it does not feel that way.
  • No colour modding of your clothing. Found a cool Trench coat? No worries! but you've gotta have it in Fluro pink!!!
  • No Finishers in combat??? we really immersive things like the ground cracking when you fall from height (really cool too) but cant add finishers to combat? only ones I've seen is 2 with a Katana and that is it. Skyrim, The Chronicles of Riddick (Old AF now) even The Witcher 3 had combat finishers with Weapons and hand to hand combat. especially with Melee and hand to hand combat being such a big thing, you'd think they'd have added this
  • Where are the mini-games? Wheres the BD's? its a story continuation tool and thats it. i mean what happened to going into a bar and doing some cool mini activities those kinds of places?
  • Where is the Adult content? there are barely any options for Joy toys (abysmal tb), no drugs? i dont need this stuff but the option is nice and adds to the atmosphere.
  • The absolute lack of romance options, it seems they went for quality over quantity perhaps but cmon, Dragon Age, Mass effect etc had more. truly disappointing
  • You cant interact with people aside from the Vendors, you cant even sit down at a chair and take in the world? NOTHING is interactive.
  • Key Bindings are a disgrace. I'm sure most of you already know this. how many times have you ruined stealth because of that dodge mechanic?
  • Dynamic world my a**. Mass numbers of NPC’s doesn’t make your world alive. Having them do unique things and responding to the world accordingly does. No ambulance for the injured, no fire trucks for fires, Police... don’t even get me started on the disgrace that is the Police AI.
    They specifically stated in the 48 minute deep dive there would be a silly amount (cant remember the number but was close to 1000) of Hand crafted daily routines for these NPC's. There is not.
  • No police chases? Police Spawning out of thin air? Maxtac spawn out of thin air with No AV's like the teaser? again dont get me started on the Police system, my god how embarrassing.
  • NPC’s in general just don’t react to you accordingly Depending on what you do. shoot in an Open area? no worries! everyone crouch!. It really does seem like CDPR really settled on having quantity of NPC’s over quality. I’d turn down the NPC crowd density in an instant if it meant greater variety and enabled better AI for more a more “alive” city.
  • Police rarely say thank you for intervening and SAVING their lives in gang shootings.
  • No karma/good & bad system, meaning a lot of choices mean Jack all especially when it comes to the way NPC's react to you i mean even Fallout characters reacted to you accordingly if you were a bad guy. Your characters “character” is borderline predetermined
  • The clothing system is broken. Cowboy hates, Short denim shorts and Corset's end up being your best armour, while an Arasaka bullet proof vest is useless. Really takes you out of the world.
    Yes I know you can upgrade clothing to keep the stuff you want to be the best, but some Transmog would be nice
  • Gear has no levels? I'm sorry but have i missed something? unless you are under the required level you cant see what level the gear actually is and its super annoying. it would be nice to be able to just take a glance at something and see if its a lower level and Bam scrapped.
  • Cant pick up thrown knives.... god man..
As I said, I have around 50 hours now and enjoy it. But if I were expecting it to be the RPG and "Truly special game" that CDPR claimed they had... boy am I disappointed. It seems they got caught up in their own hype and thought "omg the public is going insane over rumoured Genital customisation put that in put that in!" but forgot that you still need the basics. I'm sorry but this game doesn't really do anything new.

There are a lot more immersion breaking and disappointing mechanics I just cant be bothered to list but honestly the game truly does seem half baked and unfinished. It reeks of placeholders and things that have been cut last minute to make the game playable for release. Somewhere along the lines things changed from RPG to "Action/Adventure" and it was seriously streamlined. And don't be fooled, this has hurt it badly. Fallout 3, Fallout New Vegas, Skyrim and Mass effect remain untouched as immersive RPG's at this stage in MY OPINION.
Cheers
You forgot about the endless count of bugs and so many more.... This game its like a cheap bad copy of GTA5.

Guest 4406876

You might be right. But It's an itch I have for some reason. Who in their right mind would release this at this state? I'm pretty sure all our complaint's and issues are not new to the devs. Surely red flags were raised enough times. They've dealt with these bugs, issues well before we had the chance to.

But who knows... Could be all talk no show..
I really have no idea brother. Guess we'll see. What hurts me more is this is Cyberpunk, and Pondsmith is like the "seal of quality".
I really really hope they keep working on this properly. I really do, as a fan of CP. I feel CP fans had not the same luck as Witcher fans.
Pondsmith's world is all there, perfectly (visually speaking), CDPR game isn't there, none of it.

Guys, guys. This is basicaly a techdemo. Probably things went south few years ago, when someone came up with an idea of incorporating Keanu (great idea imo. I love this guy) into the main storyline (and marketing line). They probably had everything in order and in control, and now, at this production phase, they had to throw most of it out of the window. And boom-8years passed like nothing. And instead of Cyberpunk 2077 all you got is PlaceholderPunk XXXX

Guest 4406876

Guys, guys. This is basicaly a techdemo. Probably things went south few years ago, when someone came up with an idea of incorporating Keanu (great idea imo. I love this guy) into the main storyline (and marketing line). They probably had everything in order and in control, and now they had too throw most of it out of the window. And boom-8years passed like nothing.
I don't think Keanu is the problem, or that his presence affected gameplay design at any point. Some might say he was miscast, in the sense I don't see him as Jhonny Silverhand as much besides his looks that fits. But that totally subjective. He did a good job as a contruct in your mind, because he is after all, and expresses that with his interpretation.

• Cops are a myth.

It's funny how all of us in less than 5 minutes come up with great ideas on how to improve every aspect of the game. But lead devs in 8 years didn't even deliver the core basics properly.

Idk why so many people have trouble walking. I dont even look which buttons i'm pressing, have no trouble with it. :shrug:
There's only one speed of moving and it feels like running. there's no key you can press-hold in order to walk slowly.

Guys, guys. This is basicaly a techdemo... ...instead of Cyberpunk 2077 all you got is PlaceholderPunk XXXX

Sad but true.

It's funny how all of us in less than 5 minutes come up with great ideas on how to improve every aspect of the game. But lead devs in 8 years didn't even deliver the core basics properly.

I've said it on this forum already but I'll say it again, the extent of my knowledge and ability as far as computers go adds up to someone who's learned a little more than some guy who knows next to nothing but I've played I don't know how many games...500... a thousand maybe... based solely on my experience from playing games, if I would have been in a position to direct this project from the perspective of supplying the ideas, and all I had to do was flesh out the idea of a game on paper so people who know how to code and program could work their magic.... I have ZERO doubt my game design would have been infinitely better simply based on the fact that I've played so many games that I know what a good game is and what gamers want... to some degree of course.

Call it hubris, put my picture on Dunning Kruger wiki if you want but I feel pretty comfortable saying that. However, I do understand that I would need everything else to work out perfectly so I'm not saying I could have dealt with Covid, the shareholders etc. Basically I'm just saying that it is way outside of the realm of my imagination how this is what they ended up with.

I don't think Keanu is the problem, or that his presence affected gameplay design at any point. Some might say he was miscast, in the sense I don't see him as Jhonny Silverhand as much besides his looks that fits. But that totally subjective. He did a good job as a contruct in your mind, because he is after all, and expresses that with his interpretation.

You are probably right. Still something went very wrong at some point.

Top Bottom