Triss Merigold (all spoilers)

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's nothing to do with the amount choices, it's to do with which choices are recognised. What bearing on the plot do the La Valettes have? What difference does it make whether Letho is alive or dead? Who cares whether you teamed up with a terrorist now there's a world war? The wrong choices were acknowledged. Whether or not you romanced or broke up with Triss is the only choice from TW2 that has a bearing on the plot of TW3 since she is potentially the love interest of the protagonist and has been a major character in the previous two games.

You said it exactly right there. I haven't actually played TW2 yet (going to next week), but I know exactly what you're talking about and what you mean.

I can from my perspective (which is lacking knowledge) that there are 2 choices that affects the plot of TW3 - relationship with Triss, and relationship with Roche.

Geralt's relationship with Roche (as in friendship obviously) is easily resolved with dialogue changes.

However, the relationship with Triss (love) you have at the end of TW2 is much more important, and even though it would take more effort, it still wouldn't be too hard to implement and it'd be worth the effort definitely.

Following on from my post about timing, here's how it works for each character. Assuming you follow the linear progression the game presents itself in, here's how the game flows.

Dream Sequence/tutorial >> Prologue >> Act 1: Velen >> Act 1: Novigrad >> Act 1: Skellige >> Act 2: Kaer Morhen >> Act 2: Ilse of Mists >> Act 2: Battle of Kaer Morhen >> Act 3: Bald Mountain >> Act 3: Novigrad >> Act 3: Skellige

If you choose to romance Yennefer, she's introduced at Act 1: Skellige and you go through that entire section of the game with her, including making love to her. Act 2 starts almost immediately afterward and Yennefer is again present. After taking care of business, you settle down with your friends and your love for a drink, although she has different ideas and pulls you away to make love before you return to your mates and have some fun . When you return to Kaer Morhen in preparation to fight the Wild Hunt, you're greeted by the woman you love who embraces and kisses you. During Act 3: Novigrad, you have an extended sequence with her in search of some of the other sorceresses and then later, during Act 3: Skellige, you finally discuss your future where she says she just wants to be with Geralt without caring much were.

So it plays like this:

Yennefer romance >> Yennefer romance >> Act 1: Velen >> Act 1: Novigrad >> Yennefer romance >> Yennefer romance >> Act 2: Ilse of Mists >> Yennefer romance > >> Act 3: Bald Mountain >> Yennefer romance >> Yennefer romance

In contrast, the timing for Triss is confined to Act 1: Novigrad and Act 3: Novigrad. Despite saying you'll meet at Kaer Morhen, when you arrive she's not there. You can't make love a second time, you can't share a drink with her and your friends, she appears for a battle then vanishes again with nary a word. So the timing looks like this:

Dream Sequence/tutorial >> Prologue >> Act 1: Velen >> Triss Romance >> Act 1: Skellige >> Act 2: Kaer Morhen >> Act 2: Ilse of Mists >> Act 2: Battle of Kaer Morhen >> Act 3: Bald Mountain >> Triss Romance >> Act 3: Skellige

As you can see her romance is crammed in to two areas of the game as opposed to Yennefer's who is timed through the majority of the game. There are hours of game play where you simply have no romance dialogue with her that is filled with constant references to a romance you're not actually in. The pacing is all off.

What is needed to fix this is additional Triss material that is spaced out across the game so that it flows better. It's not a question of Yennefer having fourteen missions (or more) and Triss having three therefore we need eleven more, we actually only need three additional pieces of content placed in the same places as Yen's romance material is.

Last edited:
I think CDPR underestimated how into the romance players get which is understandable because in most games I could care less about that part of the game. However, with how well the characters and writing is done in Witcher games it becomes a very fun part of the story that I think they left unfinished.

I would do this if I could but I just can't. I haven't been able to play the game after my first playthrough and romancing Yen would make me feel even worse. I already know what it's like and how it fits so much better with the story.

I always take the choices in games that I would take myself and I would always take Triss. I wouldn't have any fun forcing myself not to.

Well, to each there own...but in its current state, the romance options are different. If you were to put it into car analogies; Triss is a 2012 VW Beetle...its cute, it will get you from here to there reliably, sorta...but it has 250,000 miles on it and you KNOW there will be some issues.

Where as, I feel, the Yen romance is a 2015 BMW 7 series...its not an i8 but...

I just want the Triss romance to trade in the old Bug and at least move up to a CC coup...maybe a Beetle convertible...I do like Triss with the top down!

Last edited:
Following on from my post about timing, here's how it works for each character. Assuming you follow the linear progression the game presents itself in, here's how the game flows.

Dream Sequence/tutorial >> Prologue >> Act 1: Velen >> Act 1: Novigrad >> Act 1: Skellige >> Act 2: Kaer Morhen >> Act 2: Ilse of Mists >> Act 2: Battle of Kaer Morhen >> Act 3: Bald Mountain >> Act 3: Novigrad >> Act 3: Skellige

If you choose to romance Yennefer, she's introduced at Act 1: Skellige and you go through that entire section of the game with her, including making love to her. Act 2 starts almost immediately afterward and Yennefer is again present. After taking care of business, you settle down with your friends and your love for a drink, although she has different ideas and pulls you away to make love before you return to your mates and have some fun . When you return to Kaer Morhen in preparation to fight the Wild Hunt, you're greeted by the woman you love who embraces and kisses you. During Act 3: Novigrad, you have an extended sequence with her in search of some of the other sorceresses and then later, during Acr 3: Skellige, you finally discuss your future where she says she just wants to be with Geralt without caring much were.

So it plays like this:

Yennefer romance >> Yennefer romance >> Act 1: Velen >> Act 1: Novigrad >> Yennefer romance >> Yennefer romance > >> Act 2: Ilse of Mists >> Yennefer romance > >> Act 3: Bald Mountain >> Yennefer romance >> Yennefer romance

In contrast, the timing for Triss is confined to Act 1: Novigrad and Act 3: Novigrad. Despite saying you'll meet at Kaer Morhen, when you arrive she's not there. You can't make love a second time, you can't share a drink with her and your friends, she appears for a battle then vanishes again with nary a word. So the timing looks like this:

Dream Sequence/tutorial >> Prologue >> Act 1: Velen >> Triss Romance >> Act 1: Skellige >> Act 2: Kaer Morhen >> Act 2: Ilse of Mists >> Act 2: Battle of Kaer Morhen >> Act 3: Bald Mountain >> Triss Romance >> Act 3: Skellige

As you can see her romance is crammed in to two areas of the game as opposed to Yennefer's who is timed through the majority of the game. What is needed to fix this is additional Triss material that is spaced out across the game so that it flows better. It's not a question of Yennefer having fourteen missions (or more) and Triss having three therefore we need elven more, we actually only need three additional pieces of content placed in the same places as Yen's romance material is.

That's a very good analysis. The early gap before Novigrad bothers me less as i can see why Yen's given a brief moments early due to being re-introduced in the final part of the trilogy. Personally for me if they can do something to make the huge Kaer Morhen shaped holes in the middle better in the Triss romance variant and a little something for the utter silent 'well' ness at the end, the flow would be acceptable. Maybe not perfect but at this stage strange choices have left us hoping they can make the inconsistent experience better.

Well, to each there own...but in its current state, the romance options are different. If you were to put it into car analogies; Triss is a 2012 VW Beetle...its cute, it will get you from here to there reliably, sorta...but it has 250,000 miles on it and you KNOW there will be some issues.

Where as, I feel, the Yen romance is a 2015 BMW 7 series...its not an i8 but...

I just want the Triss romance to trade in the old Bug and at least move up to a CC coup...maybe a Beetle convertible...I do like Triss with the top down!

If you're gonna do a car analogy for the romances. I'd say that Triss would also be a top quality sports car it just only works through half the journey and then you have to walk.

---------- Updated at 03:08 PM ----------

It's nothing to do with the amount choices, it's to do with which choices are recognised. What bearing on the plot do the La Valettes have? What difference does it make whether Letho is alive or dead? Who cares whether you teamed up with a terrorist now there's a world war? The wrong choices were acknowledged. Whether or not you romanced or broke up with Triss is the only choice from TW2 that has a bearing on the plot of TW3 since she is potentially the love interest of the protagonist and has been a major character in the previous two games.

Did whether you broke up with Triss in TW2 have an impact in the game? Because I haven't heard that.

That's a very good analysis. The early gap before Novigrad bothers me less as i can see why Yen's given a brief moments early due to being re-introduced in the final part of the trilogy. Personally for me if they can do something to make the huge Kaer Morhen shaped holes in the middle better in the Triss romance variant and a little something for the utter silent 'well' ness at the end, the flow would be acceptable. Maybe not perfect but at this stage strange choices have left us hoping they can make the inconsistent experience better.

Yeah, the tutorial clearly isn't going work with Triss but here's how it should have been.

Yennefer romance >> Triss romance/Yennefer romance >> Act 1: Velen >> Triss romance >> Yennefer romance >> Triss romance/Yennefer romance > >> Act 2: Ilse of Mists >> Triss romance/Yennefer romance > >> Act 3: Bald Mountain >> Triss romance/Yennefer romance >> Triss romance/Yennefer romance

Triss should have been in the prologue, not Vesemir, if you'd chosen to romance her in the previous game. It was a monumental cock up not doing that. In Act 2: Kaer Morhen, Triss should be there if you romance her and you should have the opportunity to go through scenes of romance with her like you can with Yen. She also needs to have that final scene in Act 3: Skellige. Just a short conversation about her fears for Geralt in the upcoming battle. Adding her to the prologue, Kaer Morhen at the beginning of Act 2 and a short scene before the final boss fight would address the issues of imbalance between the two romances and resolve a lot of the inconsistencies that exist between The Witcher 2 and The Witcher 3.

---------- Updated at 02:37 PM ----------

If you're gonna do a car analogy for the romances. I'd say that Triss would also be a top quality sports car it just only works through half the journey and then you have to walk.

---------- Updated at 03:08 PM ----------

Did whether you broke up with Triss in TW2 have an impact in the game? Because I haven't heard that.

Which game, sorry? The second or the third?

Edit: That kiss. It's one of the big topics in this thread and annoys a lot of people who romanced Triss. An easy way to re-balance it is when you arrive at Kaer Morhen at the beginning of Act 2, after talking with Vesemir, Triss comes out to greet you with a kiss. A simple, easy way of redressing the balance.

Last edited:
Vesemir is perfect in the prologue, it's mainly necessary in order to put the player in the right mood at Kaer Morhen and how Geralt feels. Even him disturb you?

Yeah, the tutorial clearly isn't going work with Triss but here's how it should have been.

Yennefer romance >> Triss romance/Yennefer romance >> Act 1: Velen >> Triss romance >> Yennefer romance >> Triss romance/Yennefer romance > >> Act 2: Ilse of Mists >> Triss romance/Yennefer romance > >> Act 3: Bald Mountain >> Triss romance/Yennefer romance >> Triss romance/Yennefer romance

Triss should have been in the prologue, not Vesemir, if you'd chosen to romance her in the previous game. It was a monumental cock up not doing that. In Act 2: Kaer Morhen, Triss should be there if you romance her and you should have the opportunity to go through scenes of romance with her like you can with Yen. She also needs to have that final scene in Act 3: Skellige. Just a short conversation about her fears for Geralt in the upcoming battle. Adding her to the prologue, Kaer Morhen at the beginning of Act 2 and a short scene before the final boss fight would address the issues of imbalance between the two romances and resolve a lot of the inconsistencies that exist between The Witcher 2 and The Witcher 3.

---------- Updated at 02:37 PM ----------

Which game, sorry? The second or the third?

Personally i don't mind Vesemir getting his moment in the sun in White Orchard but i can see your argument regarding it. The monumental C*** up for me was act 2 Kaer Morhen lack of Triss presence alongside Yen.

If you don't give her the rose... I guess But could avoid this moment and miss the bath scene? Heresy!

Never try that, but i think the rose and the bath scene are independent

If you want to brokeup with Triss:
-Dont give her the rose
-Dont have sex with her
-Dont rescue her

Time to cry, i don't want to write this :cry:

If you want to brokeup with Triss:
-Dont give her the rose
-Dont have sex with her
-Dont rescue her

Time to cry, i don't want to write this :cry:

But it's not a break up.In TW3 it's clear that Triss and Geralt broke up after what happened in Loc Muinne,not before.

:

No, there wasn't.

And I did all that steps in one of my playthroughs in TW2 and Triss never says nothing about breakings up. She is not sweeter but doesn't breaks up then.

Last edited:
No, there wasn't.

And I did all that steps in one of my playthroughs in TW2 and Triss never says nothing about breakings up. She is not sweeter but doesn't breaks up then.
Nah it isn't an official break-up, just an idea if your Geralt don't want Triss as lover. Real one happen like @Zyvik said

But the one you mention, no rose mean no sex scene, that something new :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom