Triss Merigold (all spoilers)

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Triss' scars are an important part of her character,just like Ciri's face scar,but that's just my opinion.

It would have been great if she kept a few scars as reminders of where she's come from and how she's changed. You would think after so much time at Kaer Morhen with the witchers she could learn to be proud of them. Plus in the lighthouse they could compare some of Geralt's scars with Triss's...

I think they were important once, but that changed after she overcame her fear during the pogrom in Rivia. I always liked the interpretation that after that moment not only her mental, but also her physical scars started to heal. There is no indication in the games that she still has any trauma regarding Sodden Hill and I never had the feeling she needed to be reminded of the day. The scars lost their purpose after the events at the end of Lady of the Lake imo.

Ciri also overcomed her fear of Bonhart,yet her scar didn't disappear.The scars are a reminder of the history of these characters and they'll always be important.But as i said it's just my opinion.

Meh. Occam's razor here.

Probably it is fanservice. I am willing to bet on it.
Does not mean it cant be explained away even so. It just does not bother me that much.

*And you know how mad I am at book lore not being respected :p
**Or people not reading the books
***Or at the many other small inconsistencies... damn... I am annoyed again :(

Good night, everyone.

Ciri also overcomed her fear of Bonhart,yet her scar didn't disappear.The scars are a reminder of the history of these characters and they'll always be important.But as i said it's just my opinion.

Ciri is no sorceress, She has neither the abilities to heal her scar nor is it it that important for her. Triss is a lodge sorceress and we know that looking perfect and beautiful is one of their most important traits. I don't see a reason why Triss should not remove her scars if she get the chance to do so.
Furthermore Ciri was on the runduring the last 6 years and still Geralt tells her that her scar healed nicely during their conversation in that cabin.
Just out of curiosity. If you would have been involved in some incident, which led to visible scars and would get the possibilty to remove them. Wouldn't you get rid of them or would you keep them as a reminder of that incident?

Last edited:
Ciri is no sorceress, She has neither the abilities to heal her scar nor is it it that important for her. Triss is a lodge sorceress and we know that looking perfect and beautiful is one of their most important traits. I don't see a reason why Triss should not remove her scars if she get the chance to do so.
Furthermore Ciri was on the runduring the last 6 years and still Geralt tells her that her scar healed nicely during their conversation in that cabin.
Just out of curiosity. If you would have been involved in some incident, which led to visible scars and would get the possibilty to remove them. Wouldn't you get rid of them or would you keep them as a reminder of that incident?

It's hard to say.If i'd recieve them by fighting on war like Triss did,I'd probably keep them.

Of course get rid of them.

It's hard to say.If i'd recieve them by fighting on war like Triss did,I'd probably keep them.

To each his own I guess.
13 other mages (including some friends) and many thousand soldiers died during that battle, Triss was frozen out of fear and wounded. She was even mistaken to be the 14th mage to die because no one could recognize her, as her hair was burned down.
Then she finally found salvation during the pogrom by facing the raging crowd. That was the moment she overcame the fear, which haunted her since the Sodden Hill Battle,
I can't imagine she would want to be reminded of Sodden everytime she undresses or looks into the mirror.

To each his own I guess.
13 other mages (including some friends) and many thousand soldiers died during that battle, Triss was frozen out of fear and wounded. She was even mistaken to be the 14th mage to die because no one could recognize her, as her hair was burned down.
Then she finally found salvation during the pogrom by facing the raging crowd. That was the moment she overcame the fear, which haunted her since the Sodden Hill Battle,
I can't imagine she would want to be reminded of Sodden everytime she undresses or looks into the mirror.

I think pre-Rivia pogrom Triss would not want to be reminded about Sodden,but post-Rivia pogrom Triss is a different person.The Hill doesn't hunt her.She's not afraid of it anymore.I think the memory of Sodden will always be important to her.

I think pre-Rivia pogrom Triss would not want to be reminded about Sodden,but post-Rivia pogrom Triss is a different person.The Hill doesn't hunt her.She's not afraid of it anymore.I think the memory of Sodden will always be important to her.

Even if that would be the case, she doesn't have Alzheimer. She doesn't need scars to be reminded of that day. Ultimately, she had ugly visible scars. Most people don't like to have imperfections and of all these people sorceresses of the lodge, who enhance their looks to be beautiful anyway, would be the last ones to tolerate these imperfections. Especially if they have the tools to get rid of them.
Though I think we are running in circles here. I can't tell if Triss would keep the scars. You can't tell the opposite., Considering Triss is no real person, the CDP developer who wrote/desiged her is reponsible for her characterization and he/she decided that she doesn't have the scars anymore, for whatever reason.

• Triss Merigold:Is that you, Roche?! Get your hands off my ass!
  • Vernon Roche:Who did you think it was?
  • Triss Merigold:I’m not a sack of flour or one of your commandos. I’m a woman!
  • Vernon Roche:I noticed
  • Triss Merigold:Ugh. I’m going to be sick…
  • Vernon Roche:At least I’ll die holding a lovely arse!
  • Triss Merigold:Not mine! I’ll hold the spell

hehehe, i thought i would just leave this here..

First off, excellent post. Secondly, I disagree with this quoted segment because TW3 story provides a convenient cop out by way of it all be the Djin's fault. By allowing this, it would be a natural reaction for someone to convince and reconcile themselves that what they had was a falsehood, something that was never real. By creating this Last Wish I would argue it precludes the possibility that Geralt's feelings for Yen were reshaped by the reshaping of the circumstances of his life you so excellent lay out.

Please understand I'm not disagreeing with the entire post, rather I'm simply saying that because of the Djin's interference, its easier to reconcile the break up of a relationship by rationalising it having never really existed. As you know, I've never read the books so can only go on what I've seen in the games and Yennefer never once strikes me as the vindictive type.

@saladin1701

The Last Wish is ambiguous in its presentation but the fact is that Yennefer's feelings remain unchanged by the wish. We also don't know the exact circumstances of the wish. What is the case, though, is that Geralt may have many reasons for breaking up with Yennefer. We only have the interpretation possible that he's referring to the spell having effected him--which is one reading of the material but not the only one. I admit, though, in an Enhanced Edition I'm hoping we'll have better options to more clearly state Geralt is breaking up because of either Triss or simply because his feelings have changed.
Because, Fire forbid, we have people break up because of adult reasons than MAGIC.

It's clear she loves Geralt very much in her own way but her personality is more routed in logic and rationale where as Triss is more emotional, the humanist (which would extend to non-humans in the game's setting) which leads her to become the humanitarian.

Which is a weird presentation because Triss was always the more calculating, rationale, and goal orientated of the two. Yennefer's signature actions when she was a character in the books include protecting all of the dwarves during a pogrom (and then does it again) as well as numerous other actions which wizards aren't prone to doing like helping the poor and destiute. Yennefer also has a very strong relationship with the Church of women and does her best to protect mothers as well as children.

Triss has ever been more focused on things like scientific development, politics, and "Big Picture" things.

The Triss of the games has become more like Yennefer, while Yennefer has become less like herself.

I don't think so. It would be completely out of character for Yen, because it will minize how important Geralt is for her. I'm ok with the argument idea (even if I think it's not really the time, Ciri just coming back and the Hunt about to attack) but a reconciliation, no. Again, the post of @Willowhugger provides a lot of explication why a reconciliation just cannot happen.

My ideal scenario is one where Triss doesn't attempt to defend her actions but continues to try to make atonement by vowing to help Ciri. Yennefer may never LIKE Triss again but I think it does a disservice to paint her as someone who hasn't gained a small degree of wisdom and maturity in 100 years.

---------- Updated at 11:19 PM ----------

I think they were important once, but that changed after she overcame her fear during the pogrom in Rivia. I always liked the interpretation that after that moment not only her mental, but also her physical scars started to heal. There is no indication in the games that she still has any trauma regarding Sodden Hill and I never had the feeling she needed to be reminded of the day. The scars lost their purpose after the events at the end of Lady of the Lake imo.

Eh, as Ciri shows, scars can be sexy.

One speculation from dev.
If I remember correctly,
Vilgefortz loses almost half his face and says that he is able to slowly regenerate it
, so I guess it should be possible for Triss, despite the allergy, to very slowly regenerate her scar in the years until the games start.

I gonna wait for mod to add her scar in-game ;)

hehehe, i thought i would just leave this here..

Last edited:
I don't mind the absence of the scars. Maybe them not being there is symbolic of Triss overcoming her fears after the events of Rivia?
I wouldn't mind an option for blue eyes and loose hair though.... CDPR/Modding Community plz

I don't mind the absence of the scars. Maybe them not being there is symbolic of Triss overcoming her fears after the events of Rivia?
I wouldn't mind an option for blue eyes and loose hair though.... CDPR/Modding Community plz

Me too, I'd like that. Also, I think CDPR thought she was past that point (The healed scar) when they added her alternate appearance in TW3 (Considering that it's a plunging neckline and all).

---------- Updated at 11:38 PM ----------

Nope, my drawing is nowhere near that good.

I like that one, I think it looked great.

I've been meaning to post my thoughts on book Triss after I had finished them but given how my freetime has been cut I might not get there in a while, so far reading half the saga I believe Andrzej Sapkowski condemned her to the girl who always wanted Geralt but could never get him in a meaningful way, whether it was by choice by either of them or by circumstance... their relationship in the books was full of what-ifs...

Geralt, at least in the parts I've read so far, I see as a guy who feels that if he "hooks" up with Triss, he will open a door that might lead him somewhere he is afraid to explore... it is pretty obvious that he cares for her and if he lets things go too far, there might not be a going back... this becomes obvious when, upon meeting Shani, both of them get in bed without any problems, because that won't come with emotional attachments...

Triss on the other hand, can't wait to get together with the witcher... yet at the end, she gives it all up in order to give Ciri a better chance of survival... it's funny how people blame her for the whole taking-advantage-of-the-amnesia situation when basically she had him all to himself (and Ciri too) and chose to sacrifice that by making him call for Yennefer (who had not seen him in three years or so)...

Because let's not forget, before Ciri ever met Yennefer, this was the situation.
“Aha…” Only now did Ciri blush a little – she looked at the old witcher. “Uncle Vesemir, I’ve asked Triss… that is, Miss Merigold, to… that is… Well, to stay here with us. For longer. For a long time. But Triss said you have to agree forsooth. Uncle Vesemir! Say yes!”
“I agree…” Vesemir wheezed out. “Of course, I agree…”
“We are very happy.” Only now did Geralt take his hand from his forehead. “We are extremely pleased, Triss.”
and it might have stayed that way had it not been for her being selfless.

Then we have other funny "comedy situations" in which their private time is somehow frustrated. This part had me laughing for a while.
Geralt – to the enchantress’s rage – disappeared somewhere and appeared only towards evening, bearing a dead goat. Triss helped him skin his prey. Although she sincerely detested the smell of meat and blood, she wanted to be near the witcher. Near him. As near as possible. A cold, determined resolution was growing in her. She did not want to sleep alone any longer.
“Triss!” yelled Ciri suddenly, running down the stairs, stamping. “Can I sleep with you tonight? Triss, please, please say yes! Please, Triss!”

After the first half BoE Triss basically disappears completely from the story, until later in Times of Contempt, Triss saves Geralt's life twice in the span of a day and teleports him to safety with the help of Tissaia de Vries.

And yet as usual, the author trolls her again and she can't stay with Geralt.

Milva was annoyed. The healer was known for her taciturnity. But Milva had already heard excited
accounts from dryads in the eastern marches of Brokilon; she already knew the details of the events that had occurred a fortnight earlier. About the chestnut-haired sorceress who had appeared in Brokilon in a burst of magic; about the cripple with a broken arm and leg she had been dragging with her. A cripple who had turned out to be the Witcher, known to the dryads as Gwynbleidd: the White Wolf.
At first, according to the dryads, no one had known what steps to take. The mutilated witcher screamed and fainted by turns, Aglaïs had applied makeshift dressings, the sorceress cursed and wept.
Milva did not believe that at all: who has ever seen a sorceress weep? And later the order came from Duén Canell, from the silver-eyed Eithné, the Lady of Brokilon. Send the sorceress away, said the ruler of the Forest of the Dryads. And tend to the Witcher.
And so they did.

Maybe the leader of the Dryads was on teamyen? who knows :) In any case, after that the situation from what I've read here it gets pretty tense between Triss and the Witcher because of the lodge's plans and Triss involvement in it, please don't spoil it for I intend to eventually get there...

In short, I'm glad that CDPR got rid of the ifs and made their romance possible. We got three games in which they are together, with their ups and downs. And that's great to see. So, even if in this game their relationship takes a backseat, and I would have liked to see Triss a lot more, I'm grateful that the devs took a leap of faith and went into uncharted territory.

Last edited:
@saladin1701

The Last Wish is ambiguous in its presentation but the fact is that Yennefer's feelings remain unchanged by the wish. We also don't know the exact circumstances of the wish. What is the case, though, is that Geralt may have many reasons for breaking up with Yennefer. We only have the interpretation possible that he's referring to the spell having effected him--which is one reading of the material but not the only one. I admit, though, in an Enhanced Edition I'm hoping we'll have better options to more clearly state Geralt is breaking up because of either Triss or simply because his feelings have changed.
Because, Fire forbid, we have people break up because of adult reasons than MAGIC.

Which is a weird presentation because Triss was always the more calculating, rationale, and goal orientated of the two. Yennefer's signature actions when she was a character in the books include protecting all of the dwarves during a pogrom (and then does it again) as well as numerous other actions which wizards aren't prone to doing like helping the poor and destiute. Yennefer also has a very strong relationship with the Church of women and does her best to protect mothers as well as children.

Triss has ever been more focused on things like scientific development, politics, and "Big Picture" things.

The Triss of the games has become more like Yennefer, while Yennefer has become less like herself.

My ideal scenario is one where Triss doesn't attempt to defend her actions but continues to try to make atonement by vowing to help Ciri. Yennefer may never LIKE Triss again but I think it does a disservice to paint her as someone who hasn't gained a small degree of wisdom and maturity in 100 years.

---------- Updated at 11:19 PM ----------

Nice post but you missed the point. Seems most did today so clearly I didn't do a good job in explaining myself. What is the reality of a situation is almost always ignored in favour of rationalisation when it comes to it comes to dealing with extreme events in our lives. This would be no less so than for Yennefer breaking up with Geralt after an on and off twenty year relationship. Whether or not she felt something for Geralt regardless of the wish, is irrelevant. Whether or not they had some kind of relationship that wasn't wholly bound by the wish is irrelevant. The only relevancy is what she would tell herself in order to deal with the emotional trauma of breaking up with a man she'd loved for so long.

The natural human emotion to such events is to go through several stages. First there is denial: “He can't be breaking up with me. This is a mistake, he loves me too much.". Next comes anger: "It's all that bitch Triss Merigold's fault! If not for her we'd still be together!". Then bargaining: "Geralt, don't do this, I'll change, I'll even dye my hair red if you want!". Then depression: “That's it. My life is now empty. I can't live without him". Finally the inevitable acceptance: “It's for the best. We broke up so many times and we can both move on now".

It's a process of rationalisation. A way of the human psyche working through events in a manner that allows it to deal with them. Yennefer would naturally go through each of these stages, moving from disbelief, to blaming Triss, the Djin, Geralt, the world for the break up,all the way to the inevitable acceptance of events as her psyche learns to cope with the turn of events. This is why she'd eventually forgive Triss. She'd be in denial that Geralt could possibly love Triss more than her, then angry at Triss for stealing him away from her to gradual realisation that if positions had been reversed, she would not have acted any differently. The personality type has nothing to do with it, every human psyche works in this manner.

Whether on a concious or unconscious level, the writers understand this because you see this process act out in game. If you break up with Yen on the Ship, she's in denial stage: "But I feel no different?". When you arrive at Kaer Morhen she's in the anger stage: "You shagged my friend for close to a year!". By the events of 'No place like home' she's reached depression: "I could drink out of an old boot tonight" to the final acceptance of matters in how she acts through the rest of the game. The human psyche is a wonderful thing because without it we'd spend our lives as emotional cripples.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom