Turning off motion blur increases framerate?

+
Turning off motion blur increases framerate?

I saw the following comment on an article on playstationlifestyle.net:

"If you turn off the motion blur and blur effects in the settings the frame-rate becomes almost a constant 30fps. Really stupid that no big site is covering this change, especially Digital Foundry."

http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2015/07/19/the-witcher-3-frame-rate-patch-107/

I know it's a long shot, but can any of you guys test this out and see if it's true? Maybe go to the bog, or somewhere that makes the framerate tank and compare it with motion blur & blur effects off and on.

Worth a shot, right? Just go to post-processing in the options menu, it's in there.

Last edited:
It helps a bit but not a whole lot. It seems to make riding on your horse a whole lot smoother than if it were on. But it does not help The Bog area in Velen in the slightest. :/ At least you don't have to go there but like 3 times for quests. (keep in mind I'm still playing and discovering new quests)

It helps a bit but not a whole lot. It seems to make riding on your horse a whole lot smoother than if it were on. But it does not help The Bog area in Velen in the slightest. :/ At least you don't have to go there but like 3 times for quests. (keep in mind I'm still playing and discovering new quests)

Damn, well, never mind. Thanks for testing anyway.

Can you edit graphical stuff on PS4 ? Didn't know.

Yeah, they included the motion blur toggles with the latest patch.

Could be, I'll give it a go. If there's an improvement, it's probably quite minimal. That switch is there for people who can't stand motion blur. That's a thing for some people.

I saw the following comment on an article on playstationlifestyle.net:

"If you turn off the motion blur and blur effects in the settings the frame-rate becomes almost a constant 30fps. Really stupid that no big site is covering this change, especially Digital Foundry."

http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2015/07/19/the-witcher-3-frame-rate-patch-107/

I know it's a long shot, but can any of you guys test this out and see if it's true? Maybe go to the bog, or somewhere that makes the framerate tank and compare it with motion blur & blur effects off and on.

Worth a shot, right? Just go to post-processing in the options menu, it's in there.

Hey lukus i am a N4G gamer just like u lol
I see you too haven ot gotten the patch like me? Disgusting is all i can say.

I love the witcher 3 but the current 20fps framer ate lock has forced me to stop playing.
sad that cdp gets peoples hopes up and fails!

---------- Updated at 07:54 PM ----------

hey thanks for taking the time test it buddy appreciate man and enjoy the game!
Its truely a master piece and once the ps4 fps issues are sorted will be even greater.

Just read another comment on NeoGAF saying that turning motion blur off ion the post-processing menu positively affects the framerate.

Can anyone else test and report back here?

I have the patch now and for me turning off post process efffects improved performance when fighting more then 2 enemies,, everythikng else seems same old same old.

I tested this out on my XB1, which now has similar framerate issues to the PS4 version, and i could not detect any difference.

I tried it out at Crook back bog, one of the worst affected areas, and if there were any framerate gains, they were so small as to be unnoticeable.

I assume the PS4 would be no different, although i could be wrong of course.

i test it riding on horseback velen through the bog,with and without motion blur and blur. i can confirm it makes NO DIFFERENCE WHATSOEVER.

So apparently turning off motion blur/blur does indeed improve performance:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2015-the-witcher-108-improves-console-performance

We've also had a number of requests to test performance in the game with post-processing turned off - a feature added in patch 1.07. Initially we tested this on Xbox One and any performance differential was in the margin of error, so thought little more of it - and that's a state of affairs that remains the same on the latest code. However, returning to it in 1.08, we find that disabling both blur and motion blur does make a significant improvement on PS4's most troubling areas, as you can see in the shots above (tests we've re-run to confirm). Disabling these effects doesn't actually impact image quality that much - so owners of Sony's console might want to check it out. We'll update with a full video as soon as we can.

NX Gamer states the contrary... no differences at all with motion blur off... it's a video not one pic like df which means nothing, it could be at different spots or not the same conditions...
I'll trust more the video...
Anyway, u can see it easily with naked eye so testit by yourself, no difference or so small... I defintely stay on xbox for this one...
Here is nx gamer video, that u can judge by yourself:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gwalYGa5DmA

NX Gamer states the contrary... no differences at all with motion blur off... it's a video not one pic like df which means nothing, it could be at different spots or not the same conditions...
I'll trust more the video...
Anyway, u can see it easily with naked eye so testit by yourself, no difference or so small... I defintely stay on xbox for this one...
Here is nx gamer video, that u can judge by yourself:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gwalYGa5DmA

I wouldn't say the picture I linked means nothing. It clearly shows a difference of framerate, and is clearly a screen-cap of a professionally-taken framerate capture. Not to mention the area and conditions are identical. And you also have to take into account that NXG only has motion blur turned off, while DF are testing motion blur and 'blur', which are two separate settings.

I'll wait for the full video to be released by DF before making my final choice of which version to go with.

Well u've got a point, it's right that u can disable both blur AND motion blur.
Is someone here already tested it?
Because as i said, it's very visible with naked eye, if the game now runs between 25/30 with blur off in the swamps then u should see it easily.
I'd like to have some feedback about that.

Top Bottom