Unplayable and highly annoyed

+
Unplayable and highly annoyed

Preordered the game as soon as i could. Now i cannot play it. It freezes up (Right now during the first cutscene in the bar when the Witchers walk in after the patron complains about the Temerian shield)

I have a
3.4GHz I5 4670K
16 GB RAM
Windows 8.1
GeForce 780 Ti

I have tried reducing the graphics to all low and everywhere in between. I have tried downgrading the Nvidia drivers back to the GTA V ones. I have tried underclocking the card.

I have emailed the tech support with a DXDiag attached and noone responded. I attached it here as reference

This is EXTREMELY frustrating. The game has been out for over 2 weeks and i still see no movement on this issue. I specifically purchased this version over the PS4 or XB1 because, as always, the PC version should be superior. In this case it is not as my daughter has the XB1 version and has no issues like this.

Please help

Attachments

• DxDiag.txt
    62.4 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:
Minimum System Requirements

• Intel CPU Core i5-2500K 3.3GHz
  • AMD CPU Phenom II X4 940
  • Nvidia GPU GeForce GTX 660
  • AMD GPU Radeon HD 7870
  • RAM 6GB
  • OS 64-bit Windows 7 or 64-bit Windows 8 (8.1)
  • DirectX 11
  • HDD Space 40 GB

Seems like you need a new processor.

Minimum System Requirements

• Intel CPU Core i5-2500K 3.3GHz
  • AMD CPU Phenom II X4 940
  • Nvidia GPU GeForce GTX 660
  • AMD GPU Radeon HD 7870
  • RAM 6GB
  • OS 64-bit Windows 7 or 64-bit Windows 8 (8.1)
  • DirectX 11
  • HDD Space 40 GB

It was a typo, he has a I5 4670K, which is 3.4ghz. Go learn some stuff about computer hardware.

That is just insulting to tell people with (basically) last gen of i5s that they new new CPU (even if they were 2 GHz), when people like me play this just fine with AMD FX series which is light years behind Intel.

Those requirements are kinda thrown in there. There's no comparison between an 2500K and X4 940, at all.

Did you install MS Visual C++ with the game? Check that and also check if you have physx installed with nvidia drivers.

Preordered the game as soon as i could. Now i cannot play it. It freezes up (Right now during the first cutscene in the bar when the Witchers walk in after the patron complains about the Temerian shield)

I have a
2.4GHz I5 4670K
16 GB RAM
Windows 8.1
GeForce 780 Ti

I have tried reducing the graphics to all low and everywhere in between. I have tried downgrading the Nvidia drivers back to the GTA V ones. I have tried underclocking the card.

I have emailed the tech support with a DXDiag attached and noone responded. I attached it here as reference

This is EXTREMELY frustrating. The game has been out for over 2 weeks and i still see no movement on this issue. I specifically purchased this version over the PS4 or XB1 because, as always, the PC version should be superior. In this case it is not as my daughter has the XB1 version and has no issues like this.

Please help

Be honest do you have any weird programs that mess with the video drivers? example, ipad second screen, video to TV, etc..

Are you using any custom overclocking on your 780? My 780 was locking up and crashing in my overclocked profile and as soon as I set it to its defaults no crashes since.

It's odd that it's freezing, you might want to zip up and attach your %USERPROFILE%\My Documents\The Witcher 3 "user.settings" file.

Some questions that may help narrow this down.

Does just the game freeze or your entire system?
Does it freeze in the exact same spot every time?
Are there any crash/dump files in the game shortcut's folder? (e.g. C:\Games\The Witcher 3 Wild Hunt\bin\x64).

Off the top of my head, possible causes and ideas, in no particular order.

1. Conflict with third party software (virus scanner, device streamer, etc.)
2. Corrupt game file(s).
3. Running out of video memory (unlikely unless your settings are all on ultra, even then...)
4. It's possible it could be related to sound device/driver if it's playing a sound effect at that exact time.
5. Could be a Witcher 3 graphics/post processing setting somewhere. Although I find this unlikely if this is the only spot it is occurring.
6. You didn't mention what version of Witcher 3, hopefully ti's 1.04.
7. A workaround could be skipping that part of the cutscene, try holding space right before the crash usually occurs. Yeah I know it sucks if you miss out on a bit but if it at least lets you keep playing...

no what version of C++ and how would i check ... yes PhysX is installed

---------- Updated at 08:56 PM ----------

no weird programs

---------- Updated at 08:57 PM ----------

no it is not overclocked and i have "down clocked" it as well just in case

---------- Updated at 08:59 PM ----------

In this cutscene, it freezes when the bar patron turns around as the Witcher's come in. The sound keeps going and i assume it is waiting for me to make a choice as the barmaid asks us what we want to drink. I can ALT TAB out or use task manager to kill it. Doesn't freeze in the same spot, but somewhere close.

There is a crash info file ... Top entry states:
Crash reason: EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION (3221225477), Error reading location 0x0f1615cc

Crashed Thread:

Thread ID: 10356

callstack:
Scaleform::System::~System() + 0x43a2e4 - <Unknown File>(0)
Scaleform::Render::Matrix4x4<float>::SetIdentity() + 0xb5002d - <Unknown File>(0)
Scaleform::Render::Matrix4x4<float>::SetIdentity() + 0xb4eb0f - <Unknown File>(0)
Scaleform::Render::Matrix4x4<float>::SetIdentity() + 0xb4bf11 - <Unknown File>(0)
Scaleform::Render::Matrix4x4<float>::SetIdentity() + 0xb2862b - <Unknown File>(0)
Scaleform::Render::Matrix2x4<float>::prepend() + 0x5d2ae - <Unknown File>(0)
Scaleform::Render::Matrix4x4<float>::SetIdentity() + 0xb285b0 - <Unknown File>(0)
Scaleform::Render::Matrix2x4<float>::prepend() + 0x271077 - <Unknown File>(0)
Scaleform::Render::Matrix2x4<float>::prepend() + 0x27121e - <Unknown File>(0)
BaseThreadInitThunk() + 0x22 - <Unknown File>(0)
RtlUserThreadStart() + 0x34 - <Unknown File>(0)

Last edited:
Runs fine on my i5 4670k at stock settings with 80-95% load; 60fps, 1080p, high-ultra, hairworks off & ssao.
Got a r9 290 though. I really don't get it how a gameworks game cannot run well on Nvidia graphic cards.

Intel i7-870 @ stock 2,9GHz (and @ oc 3,9GHz)
RAM 8Gb
XFX Radeon R9 280 (3Gb) @ stock 933MHz
PSU XFX XXX ProSeries 850W
Win 7 pro 64bit

I´ve got the same problem, did pre-order too. It crashes at the exact same place as you describe, though sometimes in other places. I cant get past that cut-scene either, so basicly I cant play the game. For me the whole computer locks up though, and no crash file. Ultra or low on everything with all effects off doesnt matter. I make sure all other programs are shut down (including GOG), doesnt matter. Ive tried different drivers, doesnt matter. Now Im running 1.04, though I had the same problem with 1.03 too. No overclocking on the GPU or CPU, and the computer is stable in FurMark and Valley. It also runs other games with no trouble at all. When loging the GPU everything looks fine up until it crashes, never more than 64 degrees. Up to 99% load though. Ive tried to down-clock the GPU (and raise its voltage), doesnt help. Regarding having the right C++ runtime library installed, the game shouldnt be able to start if it isnt. I really dont think that is the problem.

Bottom line, I dont think its my (our) hardware or our software/drivers that are faulty. A lot of people report Access Violation messages in their crash files, and to me that means a memory bug within the code. Those kind of bugs can be really tricky to find, and I dont think they did enough testing before release. Though I sure hope they are working on it. Because it sucks that I cant play the game although Ive bought it. And it really makes me wonder why I pre-ordered it.

Top Bottom