Updated Roadmap

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
And what if they promise and then fail? Let's say they start hyping a better police system and end up delivering just a farther spawn?
Also, I have huge doubts they'll add much to base game for free. And the expansions... Well, it's best if they have the first one ready before announcing it.

They should, of course, announce things they are certain of.

If a whole year in there is absolutely nothing they are certain of, there is something seriously wrong here.

Nothing, "the game got 9 and 10 on pc". CDPR vision of the game design and mechanics is exactly what they delivered, the only problem according to them are bugs and performances on old gen consoles. It doesn't matter how much you and I don't like something (and still, we don't even agree on the same mechanics), 13 million pre-orders are a huge yes to whatever they delivered.
Post automatically merged:
Several people within CDPR have actually already stated on several ocasions that they want to develop and introduce quality of life changes and features in the game "... now that the game is approaching a good technical state...", they have described the AI as bugged from the start so I don't read the situation in the same manner. The 9 out of 10 comment happened on that non-apology video right after launch, these statements are more recent. And these confusions on the player base (I'm not saying your confusion, my confusion as well) results in nobody having any clue as to what may come, the extent as to how ambitious (different from our present vanilla) these changes are that being considered or not.
Personaly I'd like some clarity on these matters and I believe some information could be delivered without assuming the nature of concrete promisses; if they consider that many people are since launch considering whether to continue playing the game now or waiting for these changes I consider this would be a service provided to players given how the launch has happened. Right now we are on a limbo where we have no idea of how big of an overhaul or none at all will take place. I don't expect the main story to receive many aditions for example (except maybe on the extensions), but I don't want to continue playing the game and getting sick of that story (which I like a lot) if I know that in the future some open world/quality of life improvements will make my playthrough that much better. At the same time with this lack of clarity we are, again, in an unknown limbo.
That's how I see this situation at least.

Nothing, "the game got 9 and 10 on pc". CDPR vision of the game design and mechanics is exactly what they delivered, the only problem according to them are bugs and performances on old gen consoles. It doesn't matter how much you and I don't like something (and still, we don't even agree on the same mechanics), 13 million pre-orders are a huge yes to whatever they delivered.
Psst…

The owls are not what they seem…

1636494443904.jpeg

If a whole year in there is absolutely nothing they are certain of, there is something seriously wrong here.
I mean, they were "certain" of the next gen patch enough to give a target release period and look what happened.
develop and introduce quality of life changes

how big of an overhaul or none at all will take place.
The fact is, quality of life is one thing (minimap) overhaul is something completely different (like, I don't know, removal of level gating). It's fair to expect the first category, but the second one definitely not. CDPR is happy with their design and mechanics and won't change it. AI, Police, minimap, are clearly quality of life, same as barber shops, but we now know how difficult even a minimap is for CDPR to implement. And it seems like it's even easier than making us use again the character creation tool while mid-game. Who knows what happens with that? How they coded it into the engine that doesn't allow us to use it again? Like the whole save file relies on that or whatever. I really don't think they are not working hard on the game, but I think there's some huge problem in there, whether the engine is shit or Devs are not good with it or the game was just coded badly or a demon possesses the game and they need an exorcist. Nobody knows, we only know that even the simplest thing is a gargantuan job for cyberpunk 2077. And that's why it's best if they keep quite and announce things when they're ready. Keep in mind that every single time they announced something months before they couldn't deliver for one reason or another. What's the point in insisting that way?
Post automatically merged:

Psst…

The owls are not what they seem…

View attachment 11263555
The hell is that shit? A mob from elden ring? It freaks me out :LOL:

I mean, they were "certain" of the next gen patch enough to give a target release period and look what happened.

And I've already clearly said, dates aren't necessary. No one wants them locking themselves into a date they end up not respecting yet again.

The next-gen patch is still on our current "roadmap" isn't it? So yeah, it does seem they are certain of some things, they just don't know when. Put them on that road map. We are working on X. Then we'll work on Y. Then we'll work on Z. That is what a roadmap is.

It's the most basic aspect of project management and I have no doubt CDPR has such a plan internally.

If they can give dates because there is absolutely no doubt they'll make it, all the better. If they can't, so be it, if someone isn't expecting delays at this point then they've been hiding under a rock for the last year. At least they'll be communicating about the game's future much more efficiently.

The only thing on our current "roadmap" that belongs on a specific project's roadmap is the next-gen patch. This vague "multiple patches and DLCs" is just par for the course for the vast majority of games these days.

The next-gen patch is still on our current "roadmap" isn't it? So yeah, it does seem they are certain of some things, they just don't know when.
But that's extremely vague. What does it add? Ray tracing? What aspect of ray tracing? Ray tracing is a mix of many technologies, we don't know how many of them will come on consoles. And what quality for each of them? And then what, better streaming of assets, more NPCs on the streets, more vehicles? They never talked about them. We don't know and to date not even CDPR knows because they are still developing it. They surely have a plan as you correctly say, but they don't know to what extent they can deliver, and when. They can say they're working on AI, sure, but it doesn't mean they can improve it. And what happens if they can't? Another yellow slide with apologies? I mean, their brilliant plan was to make the game for 1000€ PCs and then port it to 300€ consoles. It didn't turn out "surprisingly well"...
Someone has mentioned the Valhalla roadmap. That's extremely vague, it just says they will release story DLCs and generic patches. The problem is cdpr doesn't know when the expansion will be ready (my god how much I hate this nomenclature of dlc Vs expansion). And if they start talking about it, people will start with "the game is broken, they promised patches and free DLCs but now they're talking about paid content? They're as greedy as EA. We leave greed to others, my ass".

Let them work and keep your expectations ridiculously low, worst case scenario you won't be disappointed, best case you'll be happy.

But that's extremely vague. What does it add? Ray tracing? What aspect of ray tracing? Ray tracing is a mix of many technologies, we don't know how many of them will come on consoles. And what quality for each of them? And then what, better streaming of assets, more NPCs on the streets, more vehicles? They never talked about them. We don't know and to date not even CDPR knows because they are still developing it. They surely have a plan as you correctly say, but they don't know to what extent they can deliver, and when. They can say they're working on AI, sure, but it doesn't mean they can improve it. And what happens if they can't? Another yellow slide with apologies? I mean, their brilliant plan was to make the game for 1000€ PCs and then port it to 300€ consoles. It didn't turn out "surprisingly well"...
Someone has mentioned the Valhalla roadmap. That's extremely vague, it just says they will release story DLCs and generic patches. The problem is cdpr doesn't know when the expansion will be ready (my god how much I hate this nomenclature of dlc Vs expansion). And if they start talking about it, people will start with "the game is broken, they promised patches and free DLCs but now they're talking about paid content? They're as greedy as EA. We leave greed to others, my ass".

Let them work and keep your expectations ridiculously low, worst case scenario you won't be disappointed, best case you'll be happy.
No one is asking for absolute preciseness in roadmaps. You call the next-gen patch vague. It isn't. They're working on an update to make the most of next-gen technology. That's literally all it's name needs to say. We know what they're working on.

You call the Valhalla Roadmap extremely vague but it is in fact, extremely clear.

They're working on releasing Title update 1.4 for November 9th. Along that same update, there is a free DLC-ish activity - Tomb of the Fallen. No one knew exactly what both of those entailed but we knew it was coming. (Of course, as of today, we know)

Then, they're working on releasing a time-limited event the specific of which we ignore BUT we know there an event coming.

Then, they're working on releasing title update 1.4.1. Again, what it involves is unknown and unnecessary.

Their roadmap does it's job clearly. It communicates the next steps/intended steps very clearly. It's decent communication, something that is sorely missing from CDPR.

The specifics of every update is completely unnecessary. The same goes for dates. Dates should be added only, and only, if they can be respected. The slightest doubt and they should be foregone. This type of roadmap, even without any specifics, goes a looooong way.

I doubt anyone's expectations are high at this point.

Last edited:
but we now know how difficult even a minimap is for CDPR to implement.
Maybe you didn't watch it, but the difficult part for the minimap was explained during the 1.3 stream. I don't remember the exact words (it could be easy to find) but the idea was :
It toke time because they didn't want to loose all the work made on memory management only for improving the minimap.

Sorry for the off-topic, but the difference can be > Randomly generated NPCs in Cyberpunk and not in TW3.
Yes, it's true, all NPCs have routines in TW3, but they have the same during the whole game (like the kid in White Orchad who sings the same song every time you walk past him). So really I wonder how you can expect something like in White Orchad in the scale of Night City... It seem impossible to me.
Tell CDPR to not to tell me what to expect if they can't deliver. You make it sound like I'm being unrealistic, but these delusions were implanted by the company that I simply put faith in. Idk if I have to go in loops here, but GTA made it work and it isn't burning your computer down. I made a Witcher 3 comparison from the given example and it's CDPR's OWN game <_<

You're happy with what you got, which is fine, but I tuned in and waited for years and it really really really pissed me off to [...]. Still, I made a review focusing on the Positive (which was hard, when I had the sinking feeling that pulled on my insides), but I'd rather not lie to myself about what doesn't work.

I still hope, therefore I still am... here.

No one is asking for absolute preciseness in roadmaps. You call the next-gen patch vague. It isn't. They're working on an update to make the most of next-gen technology. That's literally all it's name needs to say. We know what they're working on.

You call the Valhalla Roadmap extremely vague but it is in fact, extremely clear.

They're working on releasing Title update 1.4 for November 9th. Along that same update, there is a free DLC-ish activity - Tomb of the Fallen. No one knew exactly what both of those entailed but we knew it was coming. (Of course, as of today, we know)

Then, they're working on releasing a time-limited event the specific of which we ignore BUT we know there an event coming.

Then, they're working on releasing title update 1.4.1. Again, what it involves is unknown and unnecessary.

Their roadmap does it's job clearly. It communicates the next steps/intended steps very clearly. It's decent communication, something that is sorely missing from CDPR.

The specifics of every update is completely unnecessary. The same goes for dates. Dates should be added only, and only, if they can be respected. The slightest doubt and they should be foregone. This type of roadmap, even without any specifics, goes a looooong way.

I doubt anyone's expectations are high at this point.
So the old roadmap was fine for you? The one about patch 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, free dlcs and next gen patch.
Sincerely asking, not trying to provoke (I need to make it clear because I know how I write :LOL: )
Maybe you didn't watch it, but the difficult part for the minimap was explained during the 1.3 stream. I don't remember the exact words (it could be easy to find) but the idea was :
It toke time because they didn't want to loose all the work made on memory management only for improving the minimap.
Yes, I was aware of that.

The exact same fervor was raised with HelloGames before the redemption, and I still hold out hope that upper management pulls their collective heads out of their backsides and follows suit, otherwise, they're gonna be dealing with a much larger shit-storm than what GoG has endured over the hitman fiasco!

Plus, the witcher 3 had similar issues at launch, and now look at it, so let's hope that they will pull a Sean Murray/HG redemption story!

And that is precisely why a large portion of this 13 million people didn't refund the game. Because the game was supposed to be fixed.
I remember finishing The Witcher 3 for the first time just before Blood and Wine had hit the shelfs. Blood and Wine was the *second* big expansion, released almost exactly a year after the base game. If it was any other developer, Blood and Wine in itself could be a sequel :D. It's as if Cyberpunk 2077 was made by a completely different company.

TW3's issue were not of the same magnitude by a long shot. It only had problems with bugs and graphics afaik and they added some scenes and dialogue later fleshing out Triss' arc or something.

TW3 did not get flak for its basic story and gameplay systems, did not constantly crash or add something worse with each update. It also did run well on consoles.

It got cosmetics DLCs almost immediately after launch and the story expnasions followed in the usual time after release.

Noone accused CDPR of bad communication back then, because a) the base game was fantastic, but buggy and b) CDPR communicated with their players and did not just play dead or release comletely empty roadmaps.

The situation simply is not the same, not even similar.

TW3's issue were not of the same magnitude by a long shot. It only had problems with bugs and graphics afaik and they added some scenes and dialogue later fleshing out Triss' arc or something.

TW3 did not get flak for its basic story and gameplay systems, did not constantly crash or add something worse with each update. It also did run well on consoles.

It got cosmetics DLCs almost immediately after launch and the story expnasions followed in the usual time after release.

Noone accused CDPR of bad communication back then, because a) the base game was fantastic, but buggy and b) CDPR communicated with their players and did not just play dead or release comletely empty roadmaps.

Can confirm. My version of the game is the launch one (Patch 1.01), and I have encountered 0 game breaking bugs/glitches

I think we also have to consider that they where finishing the game during pandemic restrictions and probably still under pandemic restrictions. I know that sounds like an excuse, but I think it is something we have to consider. I mean, look at how many games got delayed this year.

So the old roadmap was fine for you? The one about patch 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, free dlcs and next gen patch.
Sincerely asking, not trying to provoke (I need to make it clear because I know how I write :LOL: )

Absolutely not.

Our roadmap has always indicated "multiple patches, improvements, free DLCs". They add the patch number after the fact.

It literally describes any games I've played in the last decade.

If this is how every roadmap was I could describe Battlefield's 2042 roadmap right now, before it's even released. Multiple patches, improvements and DLCs. Boom, done. 100% certain that's exactly what it is without having anything to do with it's development. Again, the only thing that's worthy of being on a roadmap for CP2077 is the next-gen update. Patch numbers are filler between what people truly want to know about and, yes, that applies to Valhalla too but -

I'm ok with Valhalla's for two reasons:
  1. The game's launch and subsequent development wasn't anywhere as troubled as CP2077's. A roadmap wasn't even asked for, Ubisoft just gave it as a means of communicating what's coming to the game in a more detailed way and clearly indicating what they're working on next. It's about communication, not the content included or any time frame.
  2. Valhalla is much further into it's lifecycle than CP2077. Multiple expansions, minor DLCs, free DLCs and events and multiple improvements to the game have already been released. The game, regardless of anyone opinion of it, is already an "accomplished"(for lack of a better word) product. There is another expansion coming but considering all that's been released for it already I doubt there is anything else than irregular patches coming to it until that. Development on it is probably winding down heavily at this point.
Again, and I feel like I keep explaining this in different ways, it's not about the content of what's on the roadmap. It's about clearly communicating what's on the horizon and what they are working on/what's coming next. Untroubled games (like Valhalla) don't need a roadmap, getting one from those games is just a bonus.

Last edited:

Fair points, but still, it had a pretty rocky start all the same as the forums were alight with ire... I still won't let my cynicism take over completely (not saying you are, just sayin') as what would be the point of even coming back here?

The thing is if CDPR falls, so too will GoG, and that would be a true tragedy; I wish they would have stayed a private company, half of the shit decisions can be attributed to having to answer to the shareholders!

Fair points, but still, it had a pretty rocky start all the same as the forums were alight with ire... I still won't let my cynicism take over completely (not saying you are, just sayin') as what would be the point of even coming back here?

The thing is if CDPR falls, so too will GoG, and that would be a true tragedy; I wish they would have stayed a private company, half of the shit decisions can be attributed to having to answer to the shareholders!

Shareholders are not the boogeyman a lot make them out to be. It's just easier to blame it on some greedy, faceless, rich person. The fact is, the way CDPR is set up, the same people that were in charge before going public are still very much the same people. They retained control over their company.

They have certain duties to them and they surely want to please them to keep that money flowing in but that doesn't include ''answering'' to them at all. The shareholders are mostly along for the ride hoping for a return on their investment, unless CDPR actively misleads them/tries to screw them over and they can prove it, they don't hold much power.

It's sad to say but the vast majority of shit decisions, to use your own words, are attributable to CDPR's management and CDPR's management alone.

Absolutely not.
Fair enough
Shareholders are not the boogeyman a lot make them out to be. It's just easier to blame it on some greedy, faceless, rich person. The fact is, the way CDPR is set up, the same people that were in charge before going public are still very much the same people. They retained control over their company.

The shareholders are mostly along for the ride hoping for a return on their investment, unless CDPR actively misleads them and they can prove it, they don't hold much power.
Exactly, and they have all the rights to get their money back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom