Way of the Witcher revealed!

+
Narrowing down Devotion even further for another binary point increase would kill deckbuilding. This is a lazy way to force people to play the exact way you want since the "archetype" couldn't stand on it's own.
I put archetype in quotations since I disagree NG Soldiers even count as one at this point. There is no identity to it, no unique playstyle. This is what they need to work out.
Maybe if they add more units like Ard Faeinn Crossbowman that revolve around armor it could gain it's own style within the faction, no idea how you'd make this an exciting playstyle though.
It doesn't need another layer of Devotion, just more support, which I'm sure will come since we're still missing Witcher 3 Gwent cards like Renuald aep Matsen and Morteisen plus some others that would fit into the soldier category.
Nailed it. Soldier isn't an archetype, it's just the worse version of NR Soldiers, that are generic, but work well both individually and cooperatively. My suggestion would be as follow: most synergies among Soldiers are tribal-related, so in order to add a layer of depth to the archetype more specific tags should be included. So for instance a unit wouldn't just be a "Soldier", but also "Infantry" or "Cavalry" or "Officer" (even with differentiated ranks, perhaps) or "Alba/Deithwen/so forth". They could really go wild with synergies; e.g. having very specific tags, maybe with some positioning as well, could give more points.

With a card like this for 8p how is Warrit gonna actually be effective for the NG player instead of the opponent most of the time? If I know Warrit is a thing, I just run this to maybe clear up my draw if not up against NG or if up against NG waiting for Warrit to be played. With adrenaline sort of shaping the order of the cards being played last in a round there is also not much wiggleroom to hold on to Warrit forever although granted the opponent also may have adrenaline cards that he needs to play to get their effect and maybe can't hold on to a card like Snowdrop forever. As a big NG fan I feel a bit uneasy about the NG reveals, especially with a card like Snowdrop that seems the ideal answer to a card like Warrit, coated weapons etc :(

Nailed it. Soldier isn't an archetype, it's just the worse version of NR Soldiers, that are generic, but work well both individually and cooperatively. My suggestion would be as follow: most synergies among Soldiers are tribal-related, so in order to add a layer of depth to the archetype more specific tags should be included. So for instance a unit wouldn't just be a "Soldier", but also "Infantry" or "Cavalry" or "Officer" (even with differentiated ranks, perhaps) or "Alba/Deithwen/so forth". They could really go wild with synergies; e.g. having very specific tags, maybe with some positioning as well, could give more points.
Now this sounds exciting and it would provide enough complexity so that it fits NG. Great idea.
I imagine different ranks providing different interactions, say an Infantry getting a bonus effect if an Officer is on board, and maybe even a way to promote units. NR used to be able to promote units to Gold back in the beta so this could work similarly just with ranks instead. I've seen similar concepts in other CCGs.
They would need to add these tags to already existing NG soldiers as well though which gives me the feeling they will just opt for armor synergy instead but one can hope.

1607197480618.png

Rather a creepy one.

Not one you'd want to eye, eh?
Ay.

Not that I care to glance at the artwork more than necessary -- rather doubt I'll ever use the card, either -- however, I'll remark that the face resembles Frodo. . . *ahem*. . . Elijah Wood.

Last edited:
Definitely not the card I particularly wanted to post. I infinitely prefer Snowdrop.
Really ?
Why though ?
It is among the cheapest searchers in the game, neutral, can be enabled to contribute 6-8 points with Griffin Witcher Adept (attributing half the transformation value sounds more reasonable), while increasing consistency for all factions.
Also the artwork is something important, after all the Trials of young Witchers are hardly nice.
Beyond that Fallen Rayla is still the worst in terms of a creepy artwork (although I might be biased, given that in The Witcher 1 Fallen Rayla was the only thing making me want to puke, be disgusted and creeped out)

You're entirely welcome. Some curses are just made to share with a friend.
Hero of Aedirn emote black 44 TP.png

Why though ?
Purely aesthetic reasons. I hardly ever play cards I dislike, either on thematic or visual grounds, regardless of their abilities. For example, I never play Monsters, merely on principle.
Also the artwork is something important, after all the Trials of young Witchers are hardly nice.
Indisputably. It's an effective image, which is a credit to the artist's talent.

Devs must really hate NG, they gave NG probably the weakest archetipe and on top of that released bunch of NG-hate cards. I will be very suprised if NG doesn't end up as the worst faction again with SY beeing close second.

Top Bottom