Way of the Witcher revealed!

+
Ok.

I would say something more, but this expansion is so ridiculously unbalanced that nothing more needs to be say.
Every faction (except Nilfgaard) has gotten some really good bronzes. Power creep, maybe, but let’s see how things play before screaming imbalance.

Gyg

Forum regular
It looks far more balanced than MM.
Except maybe for a few golds. Still, nothing that cannot be answered by big removal but I'm a bit disappointed that big removal will be mandatory.
Nevertheless, this expansion is the most interesting - so many interesting card effects is going to be introduced.

It looks far more balanced than MM.
I think MM has not a serious problem of balance between factions, but a problem of including a card that should not exist in the game AKA Oneiromancy, and AA and Blood Eagle are quite OP too but at least they are not neutrals.

The problem with way of the witcher is that factions that are weak receive meme cards for new meme mecanics, meanwhile the top factions receive solid card that are sinergetic with mecanics that are already strong.

Weird. Just this morning I was wondering when they were going to reveal something that spawns Witcher Students. Was expecting Golds though.

[...] meanwhile the top factions receive solid card that are sinergetic with mecanics that are already strong.
I.e. movement, consume (note: without deathwish) + Swarm + Kikimore Queen, precise power setup (see Coen) and self damage (note: without alchemy/druids) ?

Well.
1606912317692.png

Ok.

I would say something more, but this expansion is so ridiculously unbalanced that nothing more needs to be say.
Then perhaps you should just say more instead. No offense meant, but right now do you do not contribute to the discussion.
Elaborate, where do you feel that this specific expansion is so ridiculously unbalanced, and compared to what exactly?
As for your point about the current balance between factions, I'd propose to wait till we see ALL cards as well as the balance tunding / buffs for NG. If after the final picture we still see or feel NG underperforming, or without solid, comparable options as other factions, we can definitely get back to this topic.
Post automatically merged:

Let's be honest, we all knew a student-engine will come sooner or later once we saw Griffin Adepts :)
Question: does the Resupply tag still work in addition to the Adrenaline effect below 5 cards? That can result in a whole bunch of students quickly.

Last edited:
Bearwitcher Quartermaster:

From my perspective just a worse Svalblod priest. After 1 turn both units have same removal risk. Quartermaster´s ability is in contrast to Svalblod priest limited to 2. The award for damaging is comparable (priest : +2 body; Quartermaster: witcher student with body 2).
Untill now new SK cards do not appear to benefit from those undamaged witcher token. This card can make sense as an additional enabler in self-damage decks but is definitely not first choice.

Keldar:

Probably most important enabler for Griffin witcher adept
Downsides: Big Removal risk, unsure regarding Synergies with Resupply. Cards like Ambitious Assault, Boiling Oil and Reinforcements can add value for those Griffin witcher decks. One might ask whether a deck with Keldar, Griffin witcher adept and the whole Siege family + Warfare + More Resupply is also competitive.

[...]
Keldar:

Probably most important enabler for Griffin witcher adept
Downsides: Big Removal risk, unsure regarding Synergies with Resupply. Cards like Ambitious Assault, Boiling Oil and Reinforcements can add value for those Griffin witcher decks. One might ask whether a deck with Keldar, Griffin witcher adept and the whole Siege family + Warfare + More Resupply is also competitive.
Vesemir: Mentor and Erland of Larvik can be used to move Keldar to a survivability of 6 or even 7 (for both).
With that there is not a lot of very reliable ways to answer him in an easy way.
Also if played late into the round he generates those Tokens immediately (at the very least 1 before the opponent can answer him), while holding cards like AA would allow one to generate 2 Tokens per turn (for Adept).

Is anyone truly surprised the cards get stronger with each expansion? :coolstory:

It seems transparent, that Gwent will only introduce more powerful creatures and crazier combos with each new expansion. CDPR just can't make the game weaker - it will be perceived by many players as a step back.

That's why new OP golds break the game and even bronzes get stronger roughly by 0.5 value each expansion. You might remember the times when you would get 5 points of value out of a creature with 5 provisions. Now 8 points is almost a norm for 5 provision cards. And it will only get bigger and bolder. So, brace yourself and enjoy the ride. :ok:

Vesemir: Mentor and Erland of Larvik can be used to move Keldar to a survivability of 6 or even 7 (for both).
With that there is not a lot of very reliable ways to answer him in an easy way.
Also if played late into the round he generates those Tokens immediately (at the very least 1 before the opponent can answer him), while holding cards like AA would allow one to generate 2 Tokens per turn (for Adept).

Thanks, with AA you can get most of resupply. And to get the most of these warfare cards you probably want to add cards like Odrin (+1 Resupply, +2 if inspired), Trollololo (+2 Resupply); Reinforced Ballista (+1 Resupply); Rivian Pikeman (+1 Resupply); Siege Master (+ max two for adjacent Siege engines). And the sceanrio Siege synergizes smoothly with those cards. So I think that Keldar is best to join them.

When I take a look at all those new Griffin witcher I think that they typically synergize best with different NR strategies
- Target Practice + Griffin witcher adept + Keldar: Resupply units and warfare specials + usually Siege (such decks were popular in the early days of MoO)
- Griffin witcher: to my mind a meme card which best synergizes witch cards like Marlene de Trastamara, Crystal Skull, Fortune Teller and Thaw
- Coen & Griffin witcher mentor & Erland: Probably best in boost deck (Vysagota + Dandelion; Uprising swarm)

Last edited:
I don't think it's fair to call NG deck manipulation meme decks this used to be a big part of the faction. It's not all Masquerade Ball.
I had a 2 big breaks since the beta and my memory don't reach this far but I don't remember deck manipulation being a top strategy never.

The problem with NG is that they have control effects atached to weak body, but at the end of the round the bodys are te ones who win . Take infiltrator a 4 for 4 that will only have any impact in the next round. You will probably lose the round in witch you play it and get a card denial in the next round. Then the oponent will bleed you in round 2 and he even can play it so you top deck it in round 3 snd that's is terrible.

Maybe if many (3 or 4) of this effects stacks you can disrrupt enougth the oponents deck to make him suffer. We will see, but I am pesimistic.

I think that devs have some card dessing rules for each faction, and those rules are the real root of the problem, since those dessing philosophy are not changed the unbalance will persist. And any of the cards we have seen so far make me think that they have move one single step from their posotions.

Guest 4375874

It can be answered with 5 damage removal and needs to convert 2 armor, so I guess it should be fine.
how many 5 damage removals do you have? We can't just assess cards without considering the existing meta.

Last edited by a moderator:

Guest 4375874

So this is basically a 1 strength worse Saesenthesis (if assuming the artifact gets 0 points), which is especially good if starting a round and if one has movement tools ?
I doubt too much would be invested in this, after 2 turns the points it can possibly generate drops. It requires a perfect setup and the devs have encouraged players to expect huge point swings and immediate point generation too much. I don't see this being played much if at all

Top Bottom